Author Topic: Huzo on tour!  (Read 27806 times)

Offline Paul Brooking

• Gosling
Re: Huzo on tour!
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2019, 06:07:27 AM »
Sounds as wet as work commute this week
I do confess that a good second hand Ural Outfit is in my near future   Sigh :sad:
Will still keep the Stelvio though

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2019, 07:23:21 AM »
The side car rig is beautiful!
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2019, 07:37:52 AM »
Sounds as wet as work commute this week
I do confess that a good second hand Ural Outfit is in my near future   Sigh :sad:
Will still keep the Stelvio though
Yep.
With advancing years, it’s always handy to have a Urinal within easy reach..
I concur...!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 07:41:41 AM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2019, 07:40:25 AM »
The side car rig is beautiful!
It was good fun I’ll freely admit.
The tug has a donk from an R 800 RT I think, at close inspection of the crankcase you could see it was relatively modern.
It sure as hell pulled like a 15 year old boy with a Penthouse..!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 07:43:04 AM by Huzo »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2019, 07:40:25 AM »

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2019, 08:35:12 AM »
...and th eprecision chair is one of the nicest designs ever. Replicas are available but at a big price thesedays.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2019, 10:18:40 AM »
Currently thrashing around Como and doing the usual pilgrimage to the Factory/Museum.
This time though, I thought I’d take up the offer to go for a thrash on their V85.
A couple of things are better than I thought they were going to be and a couple weren’t as good.
The clutch adjustment was so far out, I thought I was in neutral as I went to move off, but clearly that was remedied in short order. I’m sure the red gum wooden  internals in the gearbox will smooth up in time, although the shifts required perfect timing (which I didn’t completely possess), they were positive and certainly no worse than a new GS.
I thought the vinyl cover over the granite seat was a very nice touch though, and if one could get it a bit lower to the ground, that would be all to the good also.
Now..
I thought the passing power was very good indeed, granted I’ve just put a quiet 2 1/2 thousand k on a heavily laden Norge, but if both were empty, I’d have a couple of bob each way on a drag to 140 k’s.
The brakes were as I expected radial Brembo’s to be and it felt extremely positive in the handling.
I’m glad I bought one, but haven’t seen it yet.
Looking forward to Franz Belgium’s visit to have a perv..

That seems a little harsh considering his parentage...!

All pretty standard I’ll admit and nothing compared to Photo Guzzi’s stuff, but they’re just for my “private” collection..
Now.
I have to workout where to put the staple...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:55:30 AM by Huzo »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2019, 03:34:57 PM »
Nice! :thumb:

How many kms were you allowed on the V85 before they wanted it back Peter?
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2019, 03:54:20 PM »
Nice! :thumb:

How many kms were you allowed on the V85 before they wanted it back Peter?
There was no limit on distance Muzz, but 30 minutes is about the thing. Stefan seems like a pretty cool bloke, so you wouldn’t overdo your welcome.
I was gone about 25 mins.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2019, 03:57:00 PM »

Also..

That’s from 2 years ago, so I guess we can rule a line under that one...

Anyway..
I was going to head directly from here across to the Black Sea and down into Turkey, but that would get me around to Albania too soon to meet my friend there for his Enduro.
So...
I think I’ll go down to Sicily and do the Mt Etna thing now and that will use up about 2 days each way and a couple there, so there’s a week.
That’ll mean that by the time I get back to the top of Italy again, I’ll be more in the frame for a meeting in Albania on or around June 10...
(I think..)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 02:38:11 PM by Huzo »

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2019, 04:17:09 PM »
I'm green with envy ! First on the scope of the trip , then on the V 85 !

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2019, 08:40:11 PM »
Molto bene Huzo!! You did it!!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2019, 09:01:10 PM »
 :thumb:  From the videos I have watched the road around lake Como looks awesome!

Not even sure when I will get to see a V85 in the flesh. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2019, 01:25:28 AM »
:thumb:  From the videos I have watched the road around lake Como looks awesome!

Not even sure when I will get to see a V85 in the flesh.
I said to Stefan that I had bought one in Oz, so no chance of a sale, but he said “ for sure is no problem...”
The main man said he had sold 30 in a month and a half..!
Saw quite a few since arriving in Mandello.
As mentioned, the seat is a bit tall and hard but that’s really about it.
Damn thing is not short of oomph...!

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2019, 03:47:54 AM »
Just finishing up a Tortellini dish for breakfast @ Caffe’ Umberto.
Guzzies all over the place and 50 metres from the Lake. I’ve decided that I’ll whiz down the Coast to Piombino en route to Sicilia and put the Norge on the ferry...
The V85 was nice and I’m glad I’ve got it..
But..
That Norge is so damn good.. :bow: :thumb:
I can’t think of an exception to the rule, so I’ll say it again...
Anyone from these pages only needs to get themselves here and the V85 or Mk 2 will be at their disposal.
You may go alone but if you want I’ll come with you on the Norge..(but you might wish you went alone..)
I will collect you at Melbourne Airport and you can rest up for a couple of days at my place in the hills and then bugger off..
Roper lives fairly close, so you can go and harass him or organise a get together of Aussie Guzzisti.
Other than your ticket, it will cost you.....NOTHING...!
Come on lads..
Off your arses.. :thumb: :bike-037:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 04:12:07 AM by Huzo »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2019, 06:43:53 AM »
 :thumb:  Since we no longer have the "like" feature. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2019, 06:46:08 AM »
Just finishing up a Tortellini dish for breakfast @ Caffe’ Umberto.
Guzzies all over the place and 50 metres from the Lake. I’ve decided that I’ll whiz down the Coast to Piombino en route to Sicilia and put the Norge on the ferry...
The V85 was nice and I’m glad I’ve got it..
But..
That Norge is so damn good.. :bow: :thumb:
I can’t think of an exception to the rule, so I’ll say it again...
Anyone from these pages only needs to get themselves here and the V85 or Mk 2 will be at their disposal.
You may go alone but if you want I’ll come with you on the Norge..(but you might wish you went alone..)
I will collect you at Melbourne Airport and you can rest up for a couple of days at my place in the hills and then bugger off..
Roper lives fairly close, so you can go and harass him or organise a get together of Aussie Guzzisti.
Other than your ticket, it will cost you.....NOTHING...!
Come on lads..
Off your arses.. :thumb: :bike-037:

I am planning to tour New Zealand summer 2020.  Need to start researching and figuring out the logistics of renting, shipping, or buying and letting my son sell when I leave. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2019, 07:51:02 AM »
I am planning to tour New Zealand summer 2020.  Need to start researching and figuring out the logistics of renting, shipping, or buying and letting my son sell when I leave.
Renting...?
My arse...!
Let’s know if you’re serious and I’ll put something under your bum..
E mail Dave @ get Routed or Brent’s Bikes Abroad.
Contact me if you want info.
You’ll spend nothing really. I’ll give you the bike to use free and shipping will be bugger all from Oz.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 02:34:56 PM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2019, 09:13:42 AM »
Ok, Pontremoli.
Maybe some of you guys can help me out here..
I left Como a few hrs ago and it’s fair to say that the locals there seem...”privileged”.
Now I don’t know that I can explain the difference as you head South, but there is one. The general lack of social etiquette is evident, in that people carry on private conversations that are inappropriately loud and contain a simmering anger in your immediate vicinity.
A lot like when you’re working in a hotel and the crowd is starting to turn, it’s 10 pm and you close in another 4 hrs.
Katrina and the Waves (Walking On Sunshine) come on the radio and the locals start singing along with the “new song..”
The girls working in the cafe look impoverished and the male owner chews gum and berates her in public while he swaggers around in his Romanian lookalike Cacescu signature series, muscle shirt and chain smokes in the shop.
There’s another KPI that I think I notice, and that is as you get away from the epicentres of indulgence, the people seem on average to have less......
Teeth.
The town square contains a mass of people that seem to have nothing to do other than kick a plastic ball with no air inside, around and engage in physical skirmishes in response to someone else having a go..
One bloke launched a stream of vitriol in the direction of a pigeon, that dared to land on the hood of his prized Fiat Panda.
These are the places that you do not want your Guzzi to break down...
Also the older males sit and stare for inappropriate lengths of time and maintain their gaze when you return the look.
I’m reminded of the feeling I had in Estonia and down through Latvia, Lithuania and the like, a subterranean hint of jealousy, it didn’t go away until Poland.
Here it is..

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:21:29 AM by Huzo »

Offline Larry

• Gosling
  • Escape Reality At Any Cost I Say
    • Melbourne West Church
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2019, 01:41:29 PM »
Now that's a pretty antisocial rave there Huzo old mate 😉
We've not had too many problems except the landlord at our hotel in Brindisi. Total disrespect for his bread and butter. We had words.
Also the daft customs chick at Ayvalik who wouldn't clear our bike because our Australian Rego papers didn't state cc, hp, # of cylinders,  etc. Even her work colleagues were yelling at her in the end, butt she controlled the stamp.
We're now at TJ's in Eceabat and heading for Istanbul tomorrow.
You take care now mate.

Larry
lnblackmore.wordpre ss.com
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 01:42:21 PM by Larry »
2002 Stone 1100 - Gone
2005 Breva 1100 - Gone
2012 Stelvio 1200 8V ABS - Gone
2013 Sport 1200 8V ABS - Current

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2019, 02:30:04 PM »
Now that's a pretty antisocial rave there Huzo old mate 😉
We've not had too many problems except the landlord at our hotel in Brindisi. Total disrespect for his bread and butter. We had words.
Also the daft customs chick at Ayvalik who wouldn't clear our bike because our Australian Rego papers didn't state cc, hp, # of cylinders,  etc. Even her work colleagues were yelling at her in the end, butt she controlled the stamp.
We're now at TJ's in Eceabat and heading for Istanbul tomorrow.
You take care now mate.

Larry
lnblackmore.wordpre ss.com
Hmmm..
Istanbul you say..?
Stay in touch big guy, and we might grab a quiet one somewhere.
You take care too.
Is that you on the Jota ?

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2019, 02:34:01 PM »
I was a bit late getting away from Como, after snapping a pic of George Clooney. (As you do..)
Not BS’ing actually...!
Really only got a picture of his car, but that was good enough.
On the way down to my selected destination, I saw a sign and thought I really should go there..
So I did..!

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2019, 03:56:23 PM »
I think we should chip in and get this shirt for our buddy when he gets home:)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 03:57:31 PM by Ncdan »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2019, 06:48:41 PM »
Renting...?
My arse...!
Let’s know if you’re serious and I’ll put something under your bum..
E mail Dave @ get Routed or Brent’s Bikes Abroad.
Contact me if you want info.
You’ll spend nothing really. I’ll give you the bike to use free and shipping will be bugger all from Oz.

:thumb:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2019, 12:44:48 AM »
I think we should chip in and get this shirt for our buddy when he gets home:)

My sister used to have one..!
Guess where the map of Tasmania was...!

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2019, 12:46:47 AM »
:thumb:
Or you could tour Oz and spend nothing..

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2019, 03:35:26 AM »
Enroute to Sicilia, the night ferry from Napoli-Palermo will cost a bit more than the 'short route' across the straights of Messina.  But it's well worthwhile for a couple of reasons:  firstly, you escape a night's accommodation expense, & secondly (& more importantly) the ferry passes close by the islands of Stromboli & Vulcano.  Well it used to anyway. 

Both are seismically active, but Stromboli in particular usually provides nighttime passers-by a spectacular & on occasion (so I'm told) stunningly fabulous fireworks display, viewed to full advantage from the portside decks.  Expect anything from a dull summit glow to a full-on eruptive pyrotechnic display.

There's so much to see & do in Sicily that I don't really have any particular recommendations to make.  It depends on your own particular wishes i suspect.  The absolute highlights for me are the cable car up to the town of Erice near Trapani (NW), the Valle de Templi near Agrigento (S), possibly the world's finest Greek temple complex of 7 major & innumerable minor buildings that I personally think actually surpasses the Athenian Acropolis, the Madonie national park, Alcantara & Cavagrande gorges & Pantalica Necropolis & abandoned railway trail.

The town of Siracusa was once & on more than one occasion the most important town on Earth.  The birthplace of Archimedes, the island fortress of Ortigia can be fairly crowded, hot, humid & smelly at the height of summer.  I love it!  It has withstood the depredations of extended sieges from rival Greek states, Carthaginians & others before eventually falling to the hated Romans, & literally to more than a few earthquakes along the way too!

There's history @ every turn.  The place has changed 'ownership' at least 18 times during the last few millenia.  The Sicani, Elymians, Sicels (hence the name), Phoenicians, Carthaginians, Greeks, Romans, Arabs, Vikings, Normans, Germans (Goths), Byzantines, Neapolitans, Normans, French (Aragon) & eventually in the 19th century the Italian State have all laid claim politically, culturally & linguistically.  Not to mention of course the Fascists, Nazis, Americans & even the Cosa Nostra that have also briefly held the reigns of power in the last century too.

Leaving the best to last, however.  The food is to die for.  From the humblest street food to veritable Bacchanalian feasting at any of the many 'Agriturismo' (farm-stay) enterprises.  Sicilian wines have rightly laid claim to world-class status in vintage reds of unique & highly diverse characteristics.  Some of the best originating from 6,000!! year old varietals growing on Etna's volcanic slopes.  Locally caught Swordfish, Tuna & (fresh) Sardine pastas are regional Sicilian seafood specialties.

From such a relatively tiny island - only 1/3 the size of Tassie - the astonishing sense of cultural schizophrenia, radically contrasting landscapes and their inescapable, ubiquitous past makes this mad, messy, frustratingly disorganised & corrupted 'little world' one of my favourite places on earth.  It's my avowed intention to buy a derelict townhouse in one of the smaller, cheaper (& cooler in summer) mountain villages as a 'pied a terre' in which to spend about 6 months a year of my retirement.  The perfect base from which to tour the Mediterranean basin in rather more easily digested swathes than what you are currently doing now.

You lucky, lucky bastard!  What fun, what larks, what adventures, what jolly japes!  I'm as envious as buggery!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 04:36:18 AM by Knuckle Dragger »
Severus bastardis

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2019, 04:22:28 AM »
Nice turn of phrase for an Antipodean mug...!
I’ll use this as a standard reference source Knuckles..
That’s a nice succinct body of information from a bloke who’s done it, I shall revisit your post mate..
Thanks... :bow: :thumb:
And this..

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 04:24:12 AM by Huzo »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2019, 07:02:35 AM »
Or you could tour Oz and spend nothing..

My son and his wife are living in New Zealand.  That probably wouldn't go over well with the family.  :) 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2019, 08:38:01 AM »

Escape velocity...(always wondered what that meant)
It seems that the locals down South are incapable of sitting behind something and not passing. It would not matter a bugger if you were 100 k’s over the limit, some tool in a Fiat Panda would have to launch a Kamikaze attempt to get through.
I considered riding at 160 k just to get away, but that carries it’s own set of issues.
Also, there’s a thing they do that I still don’t understand.
You can be cruising along in the slow lane a standard 40 k over the posted limit, and the ubiquitous Audi, Benz, Panda or Festiva will slam past with two of their wheels in your lane.
Then when they are about 4 or 5 metres in front, will sway across another metre or so then drift languidly back into their own lane.
F...wits!
Also I was apprehended by Italy’s finest to enquire about the dodgy number plate.
Once I told them where I was from, they couldn’t do enough for me... Bonus.
But I was not going to be allowed to move unless I produced my international licence..!
The above shots are of the Tyrennian Sea looking toward Corsica.
Tomorrow it’s on the Norge and up Mt Vesuvius....(so to speak)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 08:44:20 AM by Huzo »

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2019, 08:59:07 AM »
Also, there’s a thing they do that I still don’t understand. You can be cruising along in the slow lane a standard 40 k over the posted limit, and the ubiquitous Audi, Benz, Panda or Festiva will slam past with two of their wheels in your lane. Then when they are about 4 or 5 metres in front, will sway across another metre or so then drift languidly back into their own lane.

This is the Italian way of completing the passing maneuver before starting another, sort of.  I think it's a a nod to some Italian legality. 

Thanks for the IDL reminder.  I'll be starting a similar trip next weekend: southbound across the Alps to Croatia, ferry to Italy and back.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here