Author Topic: You never forget the first...  (Read 2734 times)

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
You never forget the first...
« on: October 13, 2018, 05:20:03 AM »
This is the first Guzzi I EVER laid eyes on.  Almost 20 years ago my neighbor across the street came home with this.  I fell in love with the sight and sound, have had 8 since, and currently have an identical police Ambo in my garage.   He sold it long ago, and now it re-surfaces and is for sale in nearby PA.  If I recall, my neighbor paid $1,100.00, and the bike had 1,100 miles.  All original.  I�m still obsessed.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153214969924
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 01:55:20 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
Re: You never forget the first...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 05:59:26 AM »
You might want to give him a call....

It's listed under Parts and Accessories...doesn't show up under Moto Guzzi-Motorcycles

He's not getting the audience it deserves, just a fantastic looker he should probably by above $5k easily

My first was Mike Baldwin blasting around Loudon Bryar Motosports in NH
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 07:42:20 AM »
My first impression wasn't as favorable. The first Guzzi I saw was in the 1980s and was an Ambassador. My first thoughts were "What an old fashion stogie looking motorcycle" It did sound good though. I still think loop frames are old fashion stogie looking motorcycles.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 07:50:14 AM »
He must be new to EBay, shipping $11.75? A few more pics would be nice.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 07:50:14 AM »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 08:13:25 AM »
You are exactly right cam and this brought back memories of the first time I ever saw a guzzi. I remember exactly where I was at and everything about the bike. It was a early 80's police model pulling up to a gas station. It had fishtail pipes and sounded great. I remember walking up to the guy and inquired what the heck is this thing. I remember thinking that I'd like to own one someday. Well twenty years later finally obtained a 2004 EV, then a 2007 CalVin and now an 2015 tourer. Great post!!!

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
  • Former Guzzi, current Beemer & Harley
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 10:22:25 AM »
My first impression wasn't as favorable. The first Guzzi I saw was in the 1980s and was an Ambassador. My first thoughts were...
I had never seen one in person.  Saw the Lemans III & 1000 SP in a moto mag.  Knew I had to have a Guzzi.  (Couldn't afford a new Airhead)  Stopped at a non-stocking dealer and he gave me a V65SP brochure.  Had a friend wrenching at another Guzzi dealer.  Ordered a '84 V65SP in '86.  It was still in the US importer's warehouse.  It was love at first sight.  Other than a weak shifter return spring and self retracting sidestand I never fell out of love.  And that is why I still follow anything V7.
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 10:40:55 AM »
Reading about Dr. John Wittner racing a LeMans woke me up.  $$, space & an ex wife held me back. Saw the glint of a '93 Daytona on this site in '95. Took me 4.5 years to talk the owner into selling it. The few bmw's disappeared quickly. Even better than all that?  The terrific friends welcoming me to the fold.  R3~ 
  BTW: Why is that old cop bike suddenly looking attractive?

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 11:02:38 AM »
Reading about Dr. John Wittner racing a LeMans woke me up.  $$, space & an ex wife held me back. Saw the glint of a '93 Daytona on this site in '95. Took me 4.5 years to talk the owner into selling it. The few bmw's disappeared quickly. Even better than all that?  The terrific friends welcoming me to the fold.  R3~ 
  BTW: Why is that old cop bike suddenly looking attractive?
Roe, all old cop bikes are appealing for some reasons, especially with young motor cops on them:)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 11:29:35 AM »
Cool story, Cam! Thanks for posting it. Nice survivor, that Ambo. Thats a really funky auction, with virtually no description of the bike, and the shipping , etc.
 Someone local could probably contact the owner, ask him to end that silly auction, and negotiate a person to person deal for the bike, that would be a win/win.
  Otherwise ,some "wiseguy" may win the auction, and expect the owner to ship the bike to the west coast for the    $17.30. listed on the auction!   :grin:

Hey Cam, wouldnt you like to have a "matching pair" ? Kinda like lovebirds!
Rick.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 11:36:01 AM by bigbikerrick »
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 12:07:51 PM »
I may have seen cops riding them before this, but the first time I really recall was in 1980 visiting a friend in Los Angeles. In the garage of the house he was renting was what looked like a Moto Guzzi Police bike. I kind of had the idea it was abandoned or could have been gotten really cheap. I often thought of it, wanted it, but never made a move to find out what it would take to make it mine.

The next one was in the late 80s at a bike event and talked to a guy with a LeMans. Decided at that point I wanted one - but got sidetracked into airhead land.

I'll be watching that auction - not that I need another bike, or have the space either. Those old loops look more interesting all the time...

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 12:34:13 PM »
First time seeing? cant remember, but I know it was when I was a kid, in the 70's because when Honda came out with their little CX500, I remember thinking 'thats a jap imitation of a Moto Guzzi" Still had my anti Jap and German prejudice from my WW2 Grandfather and his generation. Then of course I married a Japanese lady ;-)

Cant remember ever having a chance to ride or look at one close up until I went to see my GRiSO at MI in 2015.... I was intrigued by the brand, looked over all the bikes, saw the great deals on a Norge, and all the V7's lined up with a few others, but I was there to trade in my FJR for a naked standard with character and sporting ability, as I thought I had lost my passion for riding. I had only ridden 500 miles that year...... Used to ride 15-20K a year..... just no desire.

I started the GRiSO, Knowing I knew NOTHING about Guzzi's Dave was there waiting for my shocking response when I pulled the clutch.... "It's normal" In fact with Moto Guzzi if its not making an odd sound there is probably something wrong and then he proceeded to say that Moto Guzzis have a 'refined agricultural feel to them"

So off I went........... 100 feet down the road I said to myself "How the $$$$ have I never ridden one of these before?" took a 1 hour test ride, and was hooked.... 3 days later I had the GRiSO in my garage.... 2 months and 3000 miles later, I decided I wanted to get back in Sport Touring, but diddnt want to modify or add bags to the GRiSO, so I went and rode a Norge, then started looking for a deal....... This summer I added a Stornello.

I like the Norge and Stornello, but it is the GRiSO I love. It takes a bit to adjust when swapping between but it is the one I wil never forget. I cant wait to retire and get my XS11 out and running and put it side by side with the GRiSO. One day I will only have 1 or 2 bikes, and those two will stay with me till Valhalla.... Even if I have to add a side car to one of them......

MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 04:33:31 PM »
A hundred lines and I can't use one of them...

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 06:48:53 PM »
Roe, all old cop bikes are appealing for some reasons, especially with young motor cops on them:)

!?! [emoji848]             [emoji54]             [emoji55]

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

[emoji850]
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 07:03:04 PM »
Uhh, Kev.. I believe that may be Ncdan in the flesh. A couple of years ago..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 07:42:15 PM »
Uhh, Kev.. I believe that may be Ncdan in the flesh. A couple of years ago..
I know it is, but that doesn't make it less v Village People. [emoji6] [emoji54]
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2018, 08:23:52 PM »
I know it is, but that doesn't make it less v Village People. [emoji6] [emoji54]
Dang you're hard on an old fart Kev😂
But I must admit I did look like the cop with the village people:(.  Loved their music!!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 08:27:02 PM by Ncdan »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2018, 08:26:31 PM »
Dang you're hard on an old fart Kev[emoji23]
True story my friend!
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2018, 09:26:37 AM »
First Guzzi I saw was in 1976, a new Lemans that was on the showroom floor at Mike Swider's shop in Colchester, CT. Price was $3500. I had gone there to pick up some parts for the Commando cafe racer that I had brought back from England. Wow! It was the coolest looking bike ever! But at that price I didn't consider it.
First Guzzi I bought was in 1980, a '76 Convert with a California sidecar. After tooling around for a year with it, I started selling off all my British stuff, and never looked back.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2018, 10:12:14 AM »
The first I ever laid eyes (and hands) on was a light blue metallic '76 Convert at Halley's Cycle Shop in Brunswick, MD. Could be why I have such a fondness for Converts.  :wink: The second was probably three years later, when I saw a blue w/black 1000SP at Gathland State Park.

Oddly enough, those were my first two Guzzis - a well used, silver '76 Convert (complete with Windjammer and Tour Pak) in '83 and the following year a blue w/black '79 1000SP (could have even been the same one I saw years earlier).
Charlie

Offline m13

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2018, 10:29:19 AM »
First Guzzi I ever saw was on display at the annual bike show in D.C at the armory in 1973. I was riding a second hand Triumph Trophy 500 at the time and when I saw the Eldorado that night at the show, HAD to have one. Couple months later I was euphoric and cruising on my very own new 73 Eldo, black and shiney and to me, back then a BIG bike. Had many good experiences on that old gal till she flaked cylinder chrome and self destructed. Loops are still my favorite.
Leonardtown, Maryland
'69 Manky V700
'60-something?(who really knows) Chang jiang 750

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PORS0y5exgY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B24-c-rJM_Q

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2018, 04:18:34 PM »
This is the first Guzzi I EVER laid eyes on.  Almost 20 years ago my neighbor across the street came home with this.  I fell in love with the sight and sound, have had 8 since, and currently have an identical police Ambo in my garage.   He sold it long ago, and now it re-surfaces and is for sale in nearby PA.  If I recall, my neighbor paid $1,100.00, and the bike had 1,100 miles.  All original.  I�m still obsessed.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153214969924

Spoke to the current owner of this bike, if anyone's seriously interested PM me.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here