Author Topic: Suspect faulty starter button on Eldorado 1400  (Read 868 times)

Offline gthorpe

• New Egg
Suspect faulty starter button on Eldorado 1400
« on: May 28, 2020, 01:33:44 AM »
I'm having an intermittent starting problem on my 2016 Eldorado 1400. 

Here is the symptom:  I push the starter switch and the starter motor doesn't activate. during this time the power to the rest of the bike is good (instrument lights & headlight doesn't fade).  If I toggle the switch to the kill position and back a few times then push start hard it will eventually start.

I've verified the battery cable connections are clean and tight as well as the power cable to the starter.

So I suspect it's a problem with the starter switch. Does anyone know if I can take it apart to check it and clean the contacts?[/url]
[/img]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:34:40 AM by gthorpe »
Glenn T.
2016 Eldorado 1400
2014 Ducati Monster 796

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Suspect faulty starter button on Eldorado 1400
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 03:33:40 AM »
First of all is the bike still under warrantee, if it is I would suggest you take it back to the dealer. If not how are your electrical skills?
The wiring looks pretty daunting but its just a number of very simple circuits.
The starter button is part of the RH switch (13) I think.
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2014_California_Entire.gif
You will also need the Legend to make sense of things http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2014_California_Legend.gif
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This drawing concentrates on just some of the control signals, it shows just the start signal from the switch (13) going to the ECU (Engine Control Unit) Input / 58 This is just a tiny signal just a few milliamps it might be possible to unplug the switch and check the button at connection 4 - 5 with an Ohmmeter
The Output from the ECU Output / 69 going to the Start Relay (28) this is also quite a small signal around 100 milliamps
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2014_California_Enabling_Signal_II.gif
The signal from the Start Relay to the starter solenoid on the other hand is very large probably 40 - 60 Amps for the 1400 its this signal that causes "Startus Interruptus" on other Guzzi models, typically there is not enough current available to pull the starter into mesh and close the main contacts 150 - 200 Amps. Check the spade connector is tight on the solenoid terminal.
Next time it falls to start see if you can hear the click of the start relay, it will be fairly quiet as opposed to the solid clunk of the starter engaging.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 04:57:25 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline gthorpe

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 11:02:53 AM »
Thanks for the advice Kiwi Roy.

The bike is out of warranty so I'll need to get out my multi-meter and use the schematics you sent to see if I can isolate to problem.  First I think I'll check the spade terminal on the starter solenoid.
Glenn T.
2016 Eldorado 1400
2014 Ducati Monster 796

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 01:55:15 PM »
You will find all of the schematics here at the bottom of the list.  http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/sportissimo.html
So far we haven't had many 1400s with starting problems so you are a pioneer hopefully the bike will consistently not start so you can do some troubleshooting.
It would be very interesting to measure the Voltage on the spade connector at the solenoid in relation to chassis while you are trying to start.
You can see the 12Volts for the start relay (28) comes from relay (36), you should be able to measure the Voltage at the fusebox, each fuse 2, 4 or 5 has a tiny piece of metal exposed.
Good Luck
Roy
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 02:05:52 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 01:55:15 PM »

Offline ampm7

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 06:21:58 PM »
Take apart the handle with starter switch and expose the switch. Then (although I have not taken my 2016 Eldo apart but I have other bikes) check to make sure all connections are right and then spray with contact cleaner a couple of times. Let dry, then reassemble and try starting motor again. If it starts you are good to go otherwise, it may need a new starter relay. The main culprit if the cleaner was correct, was that dirt, dust and other stuff will penetrate through where the master cylinder/handle comes together as there are nooks and crannies that can admit debris. And although I have not had this problem on my Eldo, I have had it on other bikes. Sorry that I can't be more definitive.
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1998 EV, Honda 1972 850 Ambassador, 2022 Indian Super Chief Limited

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 06:33:48 PM »
It could also be a faulty clutch switch.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 07:45:01 PM »
It could also be a faulty clutch switch.
Good point but it should still start in Neutral shouldn't it?
If it won't start in gear try in Neutral that should bypass the clutch and Neutral switches. Perhaps another 1400 owner could verify the startup interlocks.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 07:48:21 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 11:01:36 PM »
Good point but it should still start in Neutral shouldn't it?
If it won't start in gear try in Neutral that should bypass the clutch and Neutral switches. Perhaps another 1400 owner could verify the startup interlocks.

The clutch switch is a single pole double throw switch.  It can go faulty, but still allow the bike to be cranked in gear with the clutch pulled.  The other pole is connected to the dashboard.

How do I know?  It happened to me on my Cali 1400 Custom I purchased from Todd Eagan (Guzzitech).  It drove me batty for ages, but as soon as I disconnected the switch and threw a multimeter across it, I found my scoundrel.

Incidentally, I didn't purchase the genuine Guzzi replacement switch.  Instead I matched it up with a Burgess VL4S microswitch spdt at a fraction of the price.  (Guzzi content).

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here