Author Topic: Dealership labor rates?  (Read 2243 times)

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
Re: Dealership labor rates?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2021, 11:32:33 PM »
perhaps ,but do you have any idea of the cost of running a repair shop with employees , workman's comp, liaability insurance, taxes, rent or mortgage, permits and so on?
Plus the costs of sending mechanics to factory service training, the service department manager, service writer, the go-fer that moves bikes and gets stuff for the mechanic so he can do more valuable work.  Also, to cover the overhead of the sales department because they "lose money on every bike sold" or that have been sitting on the floor too long.

Dan
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Offline jared p

• New Egg
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2021, 01:19:40 AM »
The irony of this "screw the stealership" mentality and "lack of dealer network" complaints aren't lost on me.
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2021, 09:22:49 AM »
The irony of this "screw the stealership" mentality and "lack of dealer network" complaints aren't lost on me.
Regarding Moto Guzzi, I wouldn't blame owners for the current sorry state of affairs as much as Piaggio.

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2021, 12:37:21 AM »
For the most part all the dealerships I've worked with are honest, hardworking enthusiasts who will do everything within their power to make and keep you happy. They are also largely independent business owners who have  to bust their asses to make a profit.

As others have noted the labor rates not only cover the cost of the tech/mechanic but also shop overheads. Bike sale profits are challenging with seasonal fluctuations and skinny margins so the service side has to help cover cash flow gaps there.

We have a new MG dealer in NJ who's 'only' an hour from me. I intend to buy maintenance and other parts there and support them as I'm able. MG may be a side brand for them but throwing them a few bones may encourage more interest/investment on their part.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2021, 12:37:21 AM »

bobrebos

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2021, 06:00:35 AM »
I do all my own work EXCEPT when my Gold Wing 1800 needed some work.  Just taking all the plastic off to get to stuff is a three -four hour job!

I took it in for rear seat heater not working, brake job, new tires, fluid changes, etc and dont even want to discuss what the total bill was.  I now work on my own Gold Wing too!
  :grin:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 06:04:25 AM by bobrebos »

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2021, 06:44:09 AM »
I do all my own work EXCEPT when my Gold Wing 1800 needed some work.  Just taking all the plastic off to get to stuff is a three -four hour job!

I took it in for rear seat heater not working, brake job, new tires, fluid changes, etc and dont even want to discuss what the total bill was.  I now work on my own Gold Wing too!

The now-closed Honda dealer I used to use advised me to pull the bodywork before bringing the bike in to save on labor. Worked out well for me (unless you're riding the bike to them). Same with tire mounting - $50 on the bike, $25 if you just bring the wheel.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

bobrebos

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2021, 07:22:16 AM »
The now-closed Honda dealer I used to use advised me to pull the bodywork before bringing the bike in to save on labor. Worked out well for me (unless you're riding the bike to them). Same with tire mounting - $50 on the bike, $25 if you just bring the wheel.

Thats a good idea.  Hoping to do a majority of its maintenance and work myself from now on though!

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2021, 09:15:13 AM »

This alone is why I am gravitating toward simpler lower maintenance motorcycles.  I have performed open heart surgery on a few bikes.  Fun, but time consuming.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:17:04 AM by twowheeladdict »
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2021, 10:37:37 AM »
This alone is why I am gravitating toward simpler lower maintenance motorcycles.  I have performed open heart surgery on a few bikes.  Fun, but time consuming.

Best answer yet TWA👍

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2021, 10:12:47 PM »
$120 ~ $150 / hour around here. Like all industries there are very good honest dealerships and a couple that would steal from their mothers. In comparison to the average charge out rate of my employees when I was in business, shop rates are pretty reasonable IMHO. No one gets rich on labour charge out rates of $120 /hr after factoring in the operating cost to support skilled labour including rent, taxes, utilities, insurance, training, equipment etc.
A local independent BMW / Ducati service shop charged me $700 for a major service on my K1600GTL which included a valve adjustment and coolant flush, remove and flush rad, fluid flush etc. I told them that was very fair given the charge included the fluids and filters and the actual labour (4.5 hours)
The service guy was a little taken aback that I was happy with the charges, I sold my skills by the hour for forty years, repair shops do the same. If I was entitled to be compensated fairly then why shouldn’t the repair shop be given the same respect.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

bobrebos

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2021, 02:48:39 AM »

Yep, I agree!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here