Author Topic: Air-Suspension?  (Read 799 times)

Offline lad

• Hatchling
Air-Suspension?
« on: May 09, 2021, 09:52:29 AM »
Is anyone familiar with these shocks that have air in them? never used them, can’t find what PSI i should set them to...

'96 1100i

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
Re: Air-Suspension?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 01:20:36 PM »
Not familiar with those, but I am somewhat familiar with the type.

My advice is to get a hand pump that has a gauge on it that can measure about 10 pounds of pressure with some accuracy. Then experiment, starting at 5 lbs. of pressure (0.35 bar). Don't go too high or you may overwhelm the seal.

Air-assisted forks and dampers were popular in the 1980's. Later it was recognized that air is a poor choice for progressive resistance, since it cannot be tuned as well as a more sophisticated spring setup.

In the case of air-assisted front forks on Guzzi T3's, a consensus developed that the best setting was zero.

Moto
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Online nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 02:07:19 PM »
In the case of air-assisted front forks on Guzzi T3's, a consensus developed that the best setting was zero. 
Moto

My MilleGT has air assisted forks.  Does the T3 recommendation apply here also?
1990 MilleGT

Online moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 03:17:28 PM »
  They look very similar to the ones I have on my Le Mans 2 , they say up to 5 psi.
I believe the OEM rear shocks at that time took around 10x as much , in any event the
stock air shocks were crap on a good day .   Peter

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 03:17:28 PM »

Offline lad

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 05:19:55 PM »
Moto

the front are zero, I think the fork seals were redone though, can't say i've thought they were crap, might try the hand pump and see if it's any different

Cheers!
'96 1100i

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 06:27:11 PM »
Not familiar with those, but I am somewhat familiar with the type.

My advice is to get a hand pump that has a gauge on it that can measure about 10 pounds of pressure with some accuracy. Then experiment, starting at 5 lbs. of pressure (0.35 bar). Don't go too high or you may overwhelm the seal.

Air-assisted forks and dampers were popular in the 1980's. Later it was recognized that air is a poor choice for progressive resistance, since it cannot be tuned as well as a more sophisticated spring setup.

Moto

On o.e. Guzzi dampers (Sebac?), the air only inflated a small bladder, which restricted oil flow within the damper - more pressure = firmer damping, in theory. None of the air pressurized the forks. On FAC dampers, air does pressurize the forks.
Charlie

Offline Alfetta

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 01:13:10 PM »
Not that this matters to the original poster,
but air forks and shocks are all the rage in motocross. However these systems are completely devoid of springs, as the air is the spring and the oil is the dampener.
some guys like the system, while others don't. I have personally never tried either.

I would be interested to know how you like the air shocks, if you pull that trigger. my V7 stockers need help...

Nothing much better than a Tannat from the Salta region.

Offline John Warner

• Gosling
  • Growing old is mandatory, growing up is not . . .
    • Stelvio/V85 Owners Group FB
Air-Suspension?
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 01:54:46 PM »
Technically, all Forks and Shocks are 'Air Assisted', unless they're not sealed properly.
The Air above the Oil in the Forks acts as a secondary Spring, and has a naturally 'rising rate'.
That's why Fork Oil capacity is quoted as a level from the top of the Forks, and not by actual volume.
You can fine-tune the Forks by altering this level.

Shocks are similar, the Air/Gas is there to allow for the displacement of the Damper Rod as the Shock compresses, and usually has a positive pressure when built, to prevent cavitation of the Oil on the rebound, but also adds slightly to the springing, that's why a Shock without it's Spring will extend itself after being compressed.
Doc out . . .
Stelvio Owners Group on FB ~ https://www.facebook.com/groups/888995181188209/?fref=nf

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here