Author Topic: 2011 California Black Eagle Review  (Read 5732 times)

Offline Guzikid

• Gosling
2011 California Black Eagle Review
« on: September 27, 2011, 11:24:13 PM »
  Motorcycle.com has a new review posted on the '11 California Black Eagle.  Very interesting.  I still want one !!!   ;D  The Kid

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
Re: 2011 California Black Eagle Review
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 05:57:28 AM »
For some strange reason, I find the Black Eagle to be very attractive. I'd have to get rid of the footboards and put pegs on it; and I'd have to change the bars, but I think I'd enjoy owning one. Next time I get the chance, I'll take one out for a Demo ride.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

JohninVT`

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 06:40:30 AM »
I really want one.  I'm hoping Piaggio puts some money behind the leftovers next Spring and they're priced more reasonably. 

oldmanjob

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 07:02:17 AM »
I agree with their assessment of the buckhorn bars and floorboards. If the bars are adjusted up a little they become more comfortable.  ;-T

The old Bill ;D

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 07:02:17 AM »

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 12:52:44 PM »
My Bassa had the same sort of bars, but with pegs instead of boards, but at 6'6" I found it very comfortable, even though my knees were indeed high and the bars would hit my legs if I didn't plan ahead.

How do stainless stell mufflers rust?
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 01:03:40 PM »
In case the intro gets bumped off their home page, here's the link to the article:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2011-moto-guzzi-california-black-eagle-review-91136.html

Seems like a pretty fair review, to me.  Lighter, and with a chassis that's more sophisticated and better handling than any other cruiser.  Held back by wonky Italian ergonomics and poor chrome plating.  Overall, charming, but in need of an update.

Most telling, for me, was the author's preference for the Black Eagle over the Triumph Thunderbird.  I've ridden just about every modern cruiser available, and, IMO, the Triumph is the pick of the litter.  (I still passed on buying one, though.)  That the Guzzi was more enjoyable to ride than the T-Bird says a lot.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 01:19:29 PM by youcanrunnaked »
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

cpallen

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 12:27:15 AM »
I'm bumping this old thread because Moto International up here in Seattle has a new 2011 Black Eagle on the floor. $8490 with full warranty, etc

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcd/3929935750.html

keithl

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 08:48:47 AM »
I'm bumping this old thread because Moto International up here in Seattle has a new 2011 Black Eagle on the floor. $8490 with full warranty, etc

It looks like it's $9075 + tax, tag, and title.   I like them.

Offline wheaties

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 09:15:56 AM »
I'm one of the few that own a Black Eagle, but there are many California's out there.  This is a great bike at an incredible price.  As for wonky ergonomics, if you're expecting a cruiser posture, it won't be there.  The posture is much more "standard with floorboards" in my opinion.  Some complain that the heel-toe shifter and foot brake position make it hard to get your feet comfortable.  I wear size 12 and don't have any real issues, but this is the only bike I've ever ridden so I have nothing to compare it to.  

I find the bike to be stabele and predictable; it does what I ask it to.  I'm still developing on my riding skills and I'm pleased to report that I can get my feet up on the boards almost immediately after engaging the clutch.  I like to think the bike plays a big part in making that possible.   Again, cornering seems predictable and precise.   A light countersteering input will push the bike where I want it to go, but as often as not I find I'm just 'thinking' the direction I want to take.  I should probably be countersteering more actively to practice my skills, but I want to highlight how sweet this bike is going around the curves.

One thing I didn't expect is the note that comes out of the exhaust when I get on the throttle, kind of a "mmmwawwwwrr".   It reminds me of the sound that came out of a friend's V8 stern-drive ski boat.  I'm starting to associate that sound with, "Hold on, we're taking off now"

If I have any cause for concern/complaint, it's that the throttle seems to be a little too on/off coming off idle.  It might be me, it might be the map.  I'm having trouble keeping throttle inputs smooth in low gears and off the line.  I've just had my 1,000 mile maintence, but we didn't get into whether there was  a remap available.

Anyway, before this turned into a review, I wanted to point out that this is a great bike at a fantastic price.  Someone should snap it up if they can.

Matt

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 06:05:26 PM by wheaties »
2011 California Black Eagle
2014 Norge

Steve Swan

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 12:16:45 AM »

That could be the same Black Eagle my buddy bought from MI last late November for $6400.  MI had it advertised as the last new Black Eagle in stock.  Heckuva lot of motorcycle for $6400

Offline Moz

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 04:43:20 PM »
In case the intro gets bumped off their home page, here's the link to the article:
...  Overall, charming, but in need of an update.

twin plugs and stick a CARC on it  ;D - clip-ons optional  ::)  = Bellagio from 2007

'82 le mans iii
'08 cafe's bellagio
'20 V85TT

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here