Author Topic: Rolling Thunder 2015 - Guzzi Presence  (Read 13998 times)

oldbike54

Re: Rolling Thunder 2015 - Guzzi Presence
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2015, 02:21:32 PM »
As usual, no, no matter what follows.   

I may very well go on a motorcycle tour of Southeast Asia, even though I've never experienced it before.   I will likely not sign on as Towel Boy on a Turkish tramp steamer, no matter how I'm encouraged.   

Lannis

Don't go dude , they will eat you  ::)

Dusty

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2015, 02:24:49 PM »
Do you have to have a flatulent exhaust system to ride that?
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2015, 02:30:19 PM »
 >>Isn't PC new speak

I declare this thread Doubleplus Ungood. Guzziana has always been at war with EastHarleyia!
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2015, 05:40:48 PM »
Not my scene, if I lived locally I would probably ride thru just to looky loo

I appreciate the intent and it's always powerful to visit the monuments (especially among veterans). I try to get up to DC as my best friend lives up there & works for DoD.. I always carve out time to walk the mall and see the monuments. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2015, 05:40:48 PM »

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2015, 05:44:51 PM »
Not my scene, if I lived locally I would probably ride thru just to looky loo

I appreciate the intent and it's always powerful to visit the monuments (especially among veterans). I try to get up to DC as my best friend lives up there & works for DoD.. I always carve out time to walk the mall and see the monuments. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline jbntx

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2015, 07:22:25 AM »
So much phobophobic negativity..... Go for it Geezer, but make sure to wear a full face helmet and full-on textile ATGATT, it'll drive 'em nuts.
2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
1994 BMW K75S
1993 BMW K75

Bill Hagan

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2015, 07:52:32 AM »
So much phobophobic negativity..... Go for it Geezer, but make sure to wear a full face helmet and full-on textile ATGATT, it'll drive 'em nuts.

Might not work.

A few years ago, Greg, a friend of mine -- of the Norwegian-bachelor-farmer sort; the kind of guy who, as he had no distaff supervision  :wife:, would wear knee socks with sandals and bermuda shorts  ::) -- rode his Honda Helix scooter to that event. 

I told him Greg that he would be mercilessly mocked, then killed, and later rolled over by the usual suspects there until his body was flatter than Kansas.   :'(

What happened?

"They" loved him.  One group of stereotypical toughs from south Jersey virtually adopted him, kept him safe on the parade --good thing, as he rode worse than he looked -- and took him to see some night life of the kind he'd never seen in Lake Woebegone.   ;D

He came back and said he'd had the time of his life.  He moved out west only a few months later, so hasn't been to another, but he still gets misty-eyed over it.

So, while hardly my cup of espresso, go for it.  The cause is commendable, but I view the event's most positive aspect to be getting folks like that off the real roads on a nice riding day.   ;)

Obviously, as with all such things, YMMV.

Bill

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2015, 08:43:46 AM »
What Bill is describing it the phenomena of "freakish becomes cool".   Your friend was so far off the reservation that he was seen as no threat, and thus creates an opportunity for the mob to embrace the "total nut" and display for all how really cool they are!   The, "See we are so cool and so secure with our badassnes that we have embraced this poor nut job!"

But show up as Jbntx advised in AGAT, on a real-ish motorcycle, the reception is not likely to be nearly so warm and fuzzy.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Re: Rolling Thunder 2015 - Guzzi Presence
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2015, 09:08:06 AM »
No thanks. I'll be where there's almost no traffic, much less noise and far fewer people that weekend (Cass, WV).

There are ways of honoring our veterans without dealing with herds of Hogs or going anywhere near Washington, D.C...   
I am in the same boat. Love my brothers and all, but I rather stay at home and have a few beers in their name.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2015, 10:24:30 AM »
Do you have to have a flatulent exhaust system to ride that?

Actually, my little corn popper is running Mistral exhaust (loud & proud)
   ...and I do have a 'Doo rag...

Would it help to fit in better if I hung a length of chain off one of the handlebar ends?

2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

Joe A.

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2015, 11:30:42 AM »
Might not work.

A few years ago, Greg, a friend of mine -- of the Norwegian-bachelor-farmer sort; the kind of guy who, as he had no distaff supervision  :wife:, would wear knee socks with sandals and bermuda shorts  ::) -- rode his Honda Helix scooter to that event.  

I told him Greg that he would be mercilessly mocked, then killed, and later rolled over by the usual suspects there until his body was flatter than Kansas.   :'(

What happened?

"They" loved him.  One group of stereotypical toughs from south Jersey virtually adopted him, kept him safe on the parade --good thing, as he rode worse than he looked -- and took him to see some night life of the kind he'd never seen in Lake Woebegone.   ;D

He came back and said he'd had the time of his life.  He moved out west only a few months later, so hasn't been to another, but he still gets misty-eyed over it.

So, while hardly my cup of espresso, go for it.  The cause is commendable, but I view the event's most positive aspect to be getting folks like that off the real roads on a nice riding day.   ;)

Obviously, as with all such things, YMMV.

Bill

My grandfather used to say, "You will know you're good when you can tell someone to go to hell and they thank you for the advice."

I believe you have this gift  :BEER:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 11:31:17 AM by Joe A. »

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2015, 12:27:07 PM »
"You will know you're good when you can tell someone to go to hell and they thank you for the advice."

I believe that has been called the 'art of diplomacy'.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Kentktk

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2015, 09:37:08 PM »
Lannis is a hater....

......and so negative....

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2015, 10:53:49 PM »
Actually, my little corn popper is running Mistral exhaust (loud & proud)
   ...and I do have a 'Doo rag...

Would it help to fit in better if I hung a length of chain off one of the handlebar ends?

Probably  :bike

A bunch of folks from the Patriot Guard, American Legion Riders and other similar groups do what is called the Run For The Wall which ends in Washington D.C. on the 22nd of May.  Many will stay over for Rolling Thunder on the 24th.

If you check the RFTW website you can find when and from where various groups are leaving, if you want to join the procession.

As a vet, it's pretty moving.  As a motorcyclist, I get nervous riding with that many folks I do not know.

Enjoy - it's something you'll never forget.

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2015, 06:55:16 AM »
I live about a half mile from the pentagon, and I did RT a couple of times, never again (and now I have a harley). I find it a disgusting display of checkbook patriotism...
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2015, 07:21:43 AM »
I've planned a trip to New Mexico for Memorial Day. The trip will include a visit to the Vietnam Nam Memorial at Angel Fire. I'll be riding with friends who happen to ride Harley's...but I don't expect any trouble.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2015, 10:11:48 AM »
if this thread is now the segue for posting Memorial Day  plans.... I am going to the Indy 500.    ;-T
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here