Author Topic: NGC anyone own or driven a Polaris ACE atv?  (Read 4309 times)

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
NGC anyone own or driven a Polaris ACE atv?
« on: January 19, 2015, 11:11:17 PM »
Thinking it may be time to upgrade from my Arctic Cat 454 (ver 1996).  I own a small lot of 26 acres within which I've carved 3 km of trails to walk my dogs.
I don't need a Kubota or Mahindra @ $20k. Clearing snow from the drive and trails, pulling a bit of wood from the grounds... that sort of stuff.
Thee ATV options I'll consider under 10K: CanAM, Arctic Cat, and Polaris; until I saw the ACE today.
Let the flood gates of sage advice and unsubstantiated bias open: help me spend money.  :bow
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline EvanM

• Gosling
Re: NGC anyone own or driven a Polaris ACE atv?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 12:38:22 AM »
I know its not on the list, but maybe check out the Honda Rubicon. Me and my dad had one of these, and a Foreman 450 for around 10 + years, and they have needed nothing.
Pretty sure you can pick up a year or two old one for way less than 10K
2007 Breva 1100

Offline skromfols

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 08:45:03 AM »
I got to test ride both the small ACE (360?) and the larger ACE 570 last year at an ATV jamboree.  I'm 6'2" and previously found that I don't fit well in the RZR, so I was very surprised at how comfortable I found the ACE (the seat is adjustable).  I took both machines through an obstacle course a couple times and was really impressed with them.  I think either machine would be helpful to have and Polaris has a good reputation for reliability.  The only drawback I can see is maintenance and repair costs, because Polaris is like Mercedes, they don't often need work, but when they do the parts are fairly expensive.

Stan
Stan

98 Valkyrie
08 Triumph America
05 Moto Guzzi Nevada

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 08:59:00 AM »
Not only are parts expensive the labor will be expensive.
A friend owns a shop and curses every Polaris he sees. Says they are the hardest machine to work on.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 08:59:00 AM »

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 09:23:48 AM »
I know its not on the list, but maybe check out the Honda Rubicon. Me and my dad had one of these, and a Foreman 450 for around 10 + years, and they have needed nothing.
Pretty sure you can pick up a year or two old one for way less than 10K

Yes, Big Red is on the radar. My complaint is their specs don't match the price. They are $1200 higher and don't offer anything above a good reputation built ten years ago.
I like Yamaha too but feel the same about their offerings. Nothing special for more money.
There isn't a lot of 'choice' for second hand machines where I live. Anything for sale has likely been used to pull moose and bison from the bush... aka beat.
New is the route for me.

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 09:29:19 AM »
Not only are parts expensive the labor will be expensive.
A friend owns a shop and curses every Polaris he sees. Says they are the hardest machine to work on.

I've heard that outside of this forum as well. But there are a lot of them up here and people don't buy stuff that'll leave them stranded.
Considering the bike would only be used on the acreage (No hunting/jumping/weekend bashing about) it shouldn't suffer catastrophic failures.
.... would you ask your friend the most common repair?... thx.

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 10:53:10 AM »
Will do...stand by for news!

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 03:07:46 PM »
Okay, here's what he says:
On carb models it's axles, starter drives and the carbs.
On FI models it's the wires. Seems they use smallish gauge wires to the sensors and they break inside the insulation. Whe he sees a sensor failure code it's usually a wire problem.
If a customer calls saying he needs his Polaris fixed he can guess the problem in 3 tries without even hearing what's wrong.

In a way, I guess that's good.

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 05:48:21 PM »
I'd go for a tractor, the ATVs aren't built for heavy plowing. As for price, the local Kubota dealer offered me a BX18 for under $10k.
Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 09:48:20 PM »
I'd go for a tractor, the ATVs aren't built for heavy plowing. As for price, the local Kubota dealer offered me a BX18 for under $10k.

Ah, the buying power given to those who to live among the crowds.... Your state is about half the size of where I live. We have 37 thousand people. You probably have more people on a single road during the morning commute. We do have a Kubota dealer here and IF I could buy a tractor for under ten grand (Canadian Or Us$) I'd be all over that option. It is no more likely I can do that than you can watch a woodland caribou run past your house (been there). I'd love a tractor; just not a beater that some putz dragged up from his uncle's farm in Ontario.

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 09:56:48 PM »
Not as thinly populated as the Yukon, but my town has all of 39 souls and it 7 miles to a town of over 1000 and 20 miles to a town of over 10,000. Nearest Kubota dealer is there but he wants MSRP for everything, Kubota dealer 60 miles away will deal. But when you live in rural areas, often your buying decisions are made by what's available locally.
Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here