Author Topic: Long Distance Tour  (Read 13645 times)

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
Re: Long Distance Tour
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2016, 10:04:46 AM »
Oh yea.  I knock of 400 mile days on my V7, but NO WAY on that stock seat.

Some very good points made here.  I'll add: good gear to stay dry, those Moto-Skivies for gals work great Mrs. KoF tells me, riding into the wind will be MUCH different for her than you, and yes to everything mentioned about the desert.  It's unbelievable in beauty but it'll kill you quick if you take it for granted.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline JBBenson

• New Egg
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2016, 10:42:57 AM »
Anyone here have a recommend for tire plug/repair kits?

I am sure some are better than others, what are your experiences?

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2016, 11:01:20 AM »
I carry both a Dynaplug kit and a small tube with repair items from Nealey in Iowa.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2016, 11:21:45 AM »
I just carry the tire 'rope' kits.  Fresh glue every year.  I carry a bottle of slime, an air compressor and a CO2 inflation kit.  Spare fuses and relays.

But, I also carry a full set of tools for the bike, spare throttle and clutch cables, electrical wire, baling wire, duct tape, electrical tape, connectors, etc, etc.  But, I also plan on fixing the bike myself whatever goes wrong.  Yes, I go overboard on tools and spares  :)

You can scare yourself out of this trip if you think about all the bad things.  Just take it easy, stop often.  If you get uncomfortable then stop for the day.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2016, 11:21:45 AM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2016, 11:22:06 AM »
Anyone here have a recommend for tire plug/repair kits?

I am sure some are better than others, what are your experiences?

From someone that gets more flats per year than some people do in a lifetime:

The 'motorcycle specific' plugs are a waste. Get some 'gooey worms' at any auto parts place, and the reamer/probe to go with them. Throw them out every couple of years and get fresh ones. If you carry a FRESH tube of cement to help insert and seal them, even better.
For tube tires get a bicycle patch kit. Replace that with fresh patches and FRESH cement at least every year. You will need tire irons too. Practice at home.
For airing it up, a compact 12 volt pump is best if you can fit it in. CO2 kits work, but plan on needing about twice as many CO2 cartridges as they claim.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2016, 11:31:37 AM »
To pile on: don't worry about the scant Guzzi network. There are Harley dealers seemingly everywhere, but if you break down in rural Oklahoma, the inconvenience and time lost will be the same whether you are riding a California or a Road King.

If you break down near Chicago, send me a PM on your smartphone, I'll help you out. See how easy that was?  :grin:
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2016, 11:47:31 AM »
Forgot to mention I use a MotoPumps 12v inflator.  Small and works a treat.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2016, 11:49:44 AM »
I've got a Norge 2014 and my wife has a 2015 V7 Stone.  We want to take a tour out to Yellowstone, Utah, Colorado and back home (Pittsburgh), but I have a couple of concerns.

To date we have only taken short trips between 200-300 miles.  This trip would be about 4000 miles. 

Have you looked at this on a map?  You're probably looking at 4,500 miles or more.  Google Map Link

As mentioned, each day is a ride to itself, like the rides you're already taking.  You just don't go home at the end of each day.

Having taken several 10-day to 2-week 3,500-4,500 mile trips, I'd say fatique will be one of the biggest enemies.  Unfortunately, most of the trip you have planned will be across flat plains, and even the "scenic" 2-lanes can be a challenge to keep interesting.

I like these kinds of rides, but I know a lot of people don't.  I also remember my first big rides out west and how exhilarating an experience they were. 

If you have only been riding 300 miles per day, getting to Yellowstone will take you six days.  Getting home from Utah will take you six days.  How much time do you have to enjoy The Rockies while you're there ?  I'm thinking you need to plan this as a three week trip.

I know and understand the desire to ride one's own bike on these adventures, but this trip sounds like a big bite to take.  You might consider trying a few 1000-1200 mile weekend trips before taking off on this one.

Also, you might consider flying to Montana and renting a Harley to ride on the fun parts of the trip.  Then fly home.  It would make your three week trip a one week trip...

Not trying to talk you out of it, but worrying about the motorcycle is down the list.  You need to be mentally and physically ready for three weeks of riding a motorcycle almost everyday.  Ready for heat, cold, rain, wind, and fatigue.  It could be the ride of a lifetime.  You just have to be prepared.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:51:27 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

canuguzzi

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2016, 12:09:08 PM »
Your sentence doesn't make sense.  A 50mph overall average includes food and fuel stops, and quite a bit of stopped time.  Straight riding, especially in the west, is 60-80 mph.

It makes plenty of sense. He is riding either with his wife on a V7 or two up on a Norge. Yeah, the heros can stomp out average speeds of 60-80 mph for between 7.5 and 10 hours. Do you know what it takes to put down 600 miles in a day at an average speed of 80 mph? Now add in another rider on a much smaller bike with no fairing, different needs for restroom and other needs. Please.

Like I said unless you are droning in highways your speeds are lower. Missed that part? For their first big trip, being optimistic about average speeds and miles covered isn't helpful.

Stopping for lunch and having a nice chat with people you meet can easily take 45 min. There goes your average speed and also your miles covered without making it an all day into late evening ride.

Straight riding? Umm, its a vacation with the wife, not some iron butt marathon. Read the post again. Geesh.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 12:23:38 PM by Norge Pilot »

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2016, 12:24:03 PM »
Relax.   :cool: 

What everyone else said - and in the unlikely event that you have a breakdown, it's just part of the adventure, NOT a disaster.  Embrace a bit of risk (and I'm not endorsing dangerous behaviour). It makes life more interesting.

Most of all, have fun and don't be driven by the feeling that you have to make miles. Wherever you are is good. The next place can wait.

Nick

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2016, 12:26:38 PM »
It makes plenty of sense. He is riding either with his wife on a V7 or two up on a Norge. Yeah, the heros can stomp out average speeds of 60-80 mph for between 7.5 and 10 hours. Do you know what it takes to put down 600 miles in a day at an average speed of 80 mph? Now add in another rider on a much smaller bike with no fairing, different needs for restroom and other needs. Please.

Like I said unless you are droning in highways your speeds are lower. Missed that part?

Stopping for lunch and having a nice chat with people you meet can easily take 45 min. There goes your average speed and also your miles covered without making it an all day into late evening ride.

Straight riding? Umm, its a vacation with the wife, not some iron butt marathon. Geesh.

Once again, a comment  goes straight over your head.

"straight riding" = moving time.  That doesn't include stops.  Your 50mph is "overall average", which includes stops.

No one rides 50mph.  Especially on the kind of trip the OP is contemplating.  They ride 60-80 mph and the timed "overall average" is impacted by fuel and food stops.

Having ridden all over the country on all kinds of bikes, I fully understand that a 50mph overall average is lolly-gagging.  It's an easy pace.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 12:27:31 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

canuguzzi

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2016, 12:31:35 PM »
Whatever. Everyone else managed to just provide some helpful advice, you needed, as usual, to troll my post.

Off highways, lots of people ride 50 mph but again, read the first post. Average is just that, average. From start of day to end of day, average speed.  Total time/hours start to stop. Most people can figure that out.

:rolleyes:

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2016, 12:34:34 PM »
You might line up some visits with WG folks along the way. For example, if you're going to be passing thru northern NM, I'd be happy to share a meal or cuppa coffee with you (I don't have a good spare bedroom, but there is a sleeper sofa you'd be welcome to use). And you could use my garage if need be.

Rich A

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2016, 12:46:07 PM »
Whatever. Everyone else managed to just provide some helpful advice, you needed, as usual, to troll my post.

You said:
A 600 mile day is way over 12 hours of straight riding if you average 50 mph. 

I say, a 600 mile day is not 12 hours of "straight riding".   It's eight or nine hours of riding and three or four hours of sitting.  It's a relatively easy day.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Rallo

• New Egg
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2016, 01:27:01 PM »
A lot of good advice so far, but it really can't take the place of experience.  Work your way up to that big journey with many shorter trips; push the boundaries of your comfort zone closer to home.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 01:36:52 PM by Rallo »

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2016, 02:03:54 PM »
another thought, get any service or changes done some time before the trip and make a couple test rides.  If you are going to have problems they are most likely to be with whatever was done at the last minute before you left. 
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2016, 02:10:28 PM »
I got some advice from a long distance Harley rider a few years back that has worked for me. He did one or two trips to Alaska every year from Maryland.   He says that it is important to wake up and get on the rode quickly. After a few days your body will tell you to spend more time in the motel and have a good breakfast before you head out.  He said don't listen, wake up grab a coffee and get in the first 100 miles and then stop for breakfast, That will hold you over until you look for a hotel for the night.  You can check in earlier, hit the pool if they have one and have a nice relaxed dinner and get to bed early.  Repeat.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2016, 03:46:58 PM »
We follow that routine whenever we travel, even with the RV.

About the only time I don't is when I have to break down camp first.  But, on days I need to put in some miles, I will wake up before it is light out to break down and go.

1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2016, 03:52:10 PM »

My routine on longer days of 400-800 miles:

-eat breakfast
-ride two or three hours
-fuel up
-ride two or three hours
-eat lunch/fuel up
-ride two or three hours
-fuel up
-ride two or three hours
-check in to lodging/eat dinner/relax
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 03:52:53 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2016, 04:06:45 PM »
Ok, let me give you another option. As far as I'm concerned, going across northern Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kansas and eastern Colorado is about as much fun as watching grass grow.  :evil:
Why not <gasp> trailer the bikes to the Rockies, ride the *great* rides out west, and cannonball back home in the comfort of your tow vehicle? Less time spent, you're less tired once you get to the "good" riding, and will give it a better shot. Works for me, and has for *many* years, now. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2016, 04:09:57 PM »
Ok, let me give you another option. As far as I'm concerned, going across northern Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kansas and eastern Colorado is about as much fun as watching grass grow.  :evil:
Why not <gasp> trailer the bikes to the Rockies, ride the *great* rides out west, and cannonball back home in the comfort of your tow vehicle? Less time spent, you're less tired once you get to the "good" riding, and will give it a better shot. Works for me, and has for *many* years, now. <shrug>
Might as well fly out there rent bikes and fly back.  Yes, that is sarcasm you hear..  ;)

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2016, 05:16:31 PM »
Do the big trip on both bikes; if your wife doesn't ride hers she will wish she had! Take it easy and just chill out. Try not to have to be anywhere particular or have to "make time"  - it can take a lot of the fun out of it. Dont eat a heavy meal at breakfast or lunch; I find that makes me sit on the bike like a bag of concrete.. A few more things;

Stop when you feel like it not when you HAVE to due to fatigue, by then its too late.

Take in the sights, thats what its all about. Even the weirdest thing might be worth checking out! Barometer World? Gnome Sanctuary?

Let the V7 set the pace. I tour on a B750 with a freind on a Norge, and we sit at 70-75 on the motorway and 60-65 on the NSL zones. Yeah the Norge could go faster but its better to stay together. Due to the nature of the roads we are often on, we average 50-55 for a days riding. We seek out the twisties......

Let the person who likes the most comfort pick the accomodation. I've stayed in everything from "under the stars on a bivvy bag" to a hotel and all in between, but by the time you have been in to it for a few days a good shower, good food, and a good bed will be appreciated!

Above all....GO!!!!!
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2016, 05:42:18 PM »
Quote from ScepticalScotty:
Above all....GO!!!!!

:1:
I recently turned 60. Not old by any means in today's world but s*&%@ can happen at any time. I am trying to minimize any regrets in old age of things I didn't do and wished I had. Life is too short not to taste all it has to offer. Go and enjoy!
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2016, 05:51:23 PM »
To pile on: don't worry about the scant Guzzi network. There are Harley dealers seemingly everywhere, but if you break down in rural Oklahoma, the inconvenience and time lost will be the same whether you are riding a California or a Road King.

If you break down near Chicago, send me a PM on your smartphone, I'll help you out. See how easy that was?  :grin:

That Oklahoma reference might not be such a good one. We have quite a few willing and able Guzzi guys in OK that are on the forum. And they have pick up trucks.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

oldbike54

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2016, 05:57:21 PM »
That Oklahoma reference might not be such a good one. We have quite a few willing and able Guzzi guys in OK that are on the forum. And they have pick up trucks.

Yep , and that Wizard of all things Guzzi in Southern KS might as well be in Oklahoma . Besides , Okies are very friendly and always willing to offer advice , sometimes even of the useful variety  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2016, 06:37:32 PM »
That's actually my retirement dream.  Sell the house, all I need is a bike and an ATM card..  follow the seasons.. I figure I could do it for about 10 years before I have to die..

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2016, 07:00:32 PM »
I drive a semi for a living, and I know the rigors of getthereitis.  My best advice I can give you on a trip is :
1) There is no place you HAVE to get to. Change your mind/destination as you wish.
2) Your turn around point is any where you want. Not enough time to "complete" your trip?  Turn around when you want. It's not a vacation trip if it becomes work.
3) Enjoy what your doing, do want you enjoy.

Wish I had more helpful advice for you. If you are transiting Iowa, I have room, a bed, garage, bike table, tools, but no skills. You're welcome to stop over at our place. I might even have some food, adult beverages, and cigars if you care too.
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Lotsahorses

• Tim, NW Arkansas
  • New Egg
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2016, 07:40:30 PM »
 :1: on all the above.
The one thing I didn't see mentioned is a SPOT tracker.   Many places out west are without cell phone coverage and you can always press the send help button and it sends your GPS position to someone listed back home so they can get you help.  And if something serious happens you press the SOS button for a medical emergency-it will activate a rescue and for approximately $100 a year it covers the cost of a full blown evac.  This device sends a GPS position every 15 minutes once you turn it on at the beginning of a ride and lets any family and friends you choose watch your progress from their home computer and gives everyone peace of mind and lets them feel like they're in on the ride.  I use mine on every ride since even local rides cause loss of cell phone signal in the Ozark mountains.  Had to use mine once off road in Utah-it was a life saver.
I bought mine for about $60 used on e-bay and it is cheap insurance.   Runs on batteries so it doesn't require any wiring on the bike-snap it in a ram mount on your bars or put it in your pocket.    Good luck on your decision and happy riding!
1973 Eldorado
1972 Eldorado
2005 Ducati ST3
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1949 GMC 1 Ton
1950 GMC 1/2 Ton Panel
1952 GMC 1/2 Ton Pick-up
1958 GMC 1/2 Ton Pick-up

Online Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2016, 08:14:28 PM »
This device sends a GPS position every 15 minutes once you turn it on at the beginning of a ride

Exactly.  Where do you think all those dots come from when I show my trip-route on a map?  Spot.  I get home, download all the recorded lat/lon locations, and then plot the points on a map (most any map software can be used).  (by the way, the location is transmitted every ten minutes)

Offline sbaker

• Gaggle Hero
  • Piaggio Stock Holder
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2016, 08:29:06 PM »
Hello;

Get the bikes Serviced and new tires!
Bring with you a tire plugging kit and a 12 volt portable pump (the C02 cartridges are marginal)
Bring wire ties (Zip ties) and duct tape
Bring break handle, clutch handle, Foot break petal and clutch pedal... in case you take a small spill but snap a control lever

Just about NOTHING you can't fix with all that, and get to a location from which to get the bike to a dealer (Tow or slow speed run)

A small tool kit helps with metric sockets in class you need to change a lever. NOTHING Huge.. just enough to get you going again.

A credit card and a cell phone. ....

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!

Sam
Dallas, TX

AGATT

Hey Check out my CD www.cdbaby.com/bakersam

Current
Norge Wing: White Squadron
Ducati 900ss

Previous
Griso Wing: Yellow Squadron (shot down 3/11)
2008 Norge - Red... fastest of the 2V
1975 Convert + Sidecar - Fun
2004 California EV Touring

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here