Author Topic: Griso Oil Leak - Need some advice on how to deal with this  (Read 12080 times)

ChappyBoffins

Griso Oil Leak - Need some advice on how to deal with this
« on: February 26, 2015, 04:26:16 PM »
Hello again All!
I've got a little problem. I uncovered my 2012 Griso 1200 SE yesterday and found that it has a fair amount of oil leaking out of the left side of the engine. From what i can see on the ground and what is dripping off the motor, I would guess that I've lost maybe around 2oz. of oil. I'm not much of a mechanic so my plan is to get it to my local (30.8 miles from home) MG service department asap so they can fix it.

Plan "A" involves me riding my hemorrhaging bike over there again a little over 30 miles. 2 problems I see with that plan. Problem #1, that's engine oil leaking out, if i loose to much oil the engine could overheat and seize up. Problem #2 when i rev the throttle from a steady idle  a bit of oil spurts onto the nearby exhaust pipe and burns off into smoke. 

My questions are...

Would you guys advise FOR or AGAINST me riding to the service shop?

Is there a chance that the oil getting on the exhaust pipe could reach flash point and ignite a fire?

Here's a link to a few photos i snapped upon discovery...
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f26/merkaba998/Griso/2015-02-25%20%20Griso%20Oil%20Leak/2015-02-25_Griso%20Oil%20Leak_150730_zpsaxidnrjh.jpg

Thanks in Advance Everyone!

eric2186

Re: Griso Oil Leak - Need some advice on how to deal with this
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 04:50:41 PM »
As best as you can tell, where exactly is the oil leaking from?

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 05:12:47 PM »
it appears to be leaking out of the seal between the bottom of the cylinder housing and the engine block itself. but read below for hopeful good news...

I had an issue with the phase revolution sensor leaking on my Breva 1100. It would get oil all over the block like that, but it didn't leak while standing still. I'm not familiar enough with the 8V engine to know where the sensors are, but look just ahead of the left cylinder for sources of a leak. The big but here is that the problem I describe leaks only when then engine is running.

The greatest danger to you if you ride the bike will be getting oil on your rear tire and crashing. If the engine is leaking just standing still then you have a more serious problem. If the bike leaks out of the pressurized side you could run out of oil and kill your engine. I would advise against riding it.

Oil on your exhaust will not catch fire. you'll get smoked out way before it could ever ignite.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 05:24:53 PM by Doppelgaenger »

eric2186

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 05:49:11 PM »
My Griso 1100 leaked from between the cylinder head cover and the cylinder head. A dealer (I won't say which) "repaired" it by using gasket-gluing the cylinder head cover on. A couple months later needless to say the leak started again. Discovered it while riding on the street, oil was dripping onto my boot and onto the exhaust pipe. I was only a mile away from home so I limped home.

I had the same decision to make. Needless to say I didn't want the same dealer touching it, nor did I want to risk riding it the 60 miles or so. Turned out replacing the gasket with silicon Real Gaskets (www.realgaskets.com) myself solved the problem. I wasn't much of a mechanic myself either. Old gasket glue was an absolute nightmare to clean off.

Looking at the 1200 parts list, p. 70 of http://www.af1racing.com/store/ProdImages/st3/GU088.pdf, it looks like there is a similar gasket between the cylinder head and the engine block/crankcase. Like Doppelgaenger said, that might be where the oil is leaking from. But of course, without looking at the bike, that's just my best guess.

You can try cleaning off all of the existing leaked oil and waiting overnight or a couple days to see if there is a new leak with the engine not having been run. That way you could more easily isolate the source and magnitude of the leak, since oil leaking when the bike is moving tends to splatter to places it didn't originally leak from. Put some paper towels over the lower parts, exhaust pipe, ground, etc., where it might conceivably drip.

I wouldn't recommend riding it right now either.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 05:53:30 PM by eric2186 »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 05:49:11 PM »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 06:06:37 PM »
Most common places 8V motors leak are

a--phase sensor
b--oil pressure sender
c--valve cover o-ring for spark plug hole

haul the bike if you are afraid or stuff a rag on the first 2 sensors and ride
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 06:09:06 PM »
Definitely do not ride it, to many negatives. Oh and be careful about mentioning the word oil on this forum,  you could start a discussion no one knows how to stop. Good luck, hope it's an easy fix. Make sure and keep us all posted.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 06:28:15 PM »
Cleaning  it well and dusting it with talcum powder can help locate a leak if you're not sure where it is.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline GuzziPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 06:29:48 PM »
Will your MG dealer/service shop not come get the bike? Even if it costs a few bucks?

On edit

Not at all sure how that leak,  that high up from the sump could have happened sitting.....I can imagine the last ride, whenever that was might have been when it started....and just not noticed then???

Lee
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 06:33:44 PM by GuzziPilot »
2012 GT8V Norge {The Faster Color}
2002 EV1100 - Vintage Red
Y2K Jackal {sold} - Red

ChappyBoffins

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 07:09:20 PM »
Oops totally meant to post the rest of the images. Here they are…

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f26/merkaba998/Griso/2015-02-25%20%20Griso%20Oil%20Leak/2015-02-25_Griso%20Oil%20Leak_150735_zpsapsraevv.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f26/merkaba998/Griso/2015-02-25%20%20Griso%20Oil%20Leak/2015-02-25_Griso%20Oil%20Leak_150730_zpsaxidnrjh.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f26/merkaba998/Griso/2015-02-25%20%20Griso%20Oil%20Leak/2015-02-25_Griso%20Oil%20Leak_150653_zpsyzvypzez.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f26/merkaba998/Griso/2015-02-25%20%20Griso%20Oil%20Leak/2015-02-25_Griso%20Oil%20Leak_150643_zpsnajlyosj.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f26/merkaba998/Griso/2015-02-25%20%20Griso%20Oil%20Leak/2015-02-25_Griso%20Oil%20Leak_145507_zpsaoqjws6x.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f26/merkaba998/Griso/2015-02-25%20%20Griso%20Oil%20Leak/2015-02-25_Griso%20Oil%20Leak_145459_zpsvawn0hut.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f26/merkaba998/Griso/2015-02-25%20%20Griso%20Oil%20Leak/2015-02-25_Griso%20Oil%20Leak_145445_zpsdvtmwdw1.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f26/merkaba998/Griso/2015-02-25%20%20Griso%20Oil%20Leak/2015-02-25_Griso%20Oil%20Leak_145425_zpslaumuqph.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f26/merkaba998/Griso/2015-02-25%20%20Griso%20Oil%20Leak/2015-02-25_Griso%20Oil%20Leak_145420_zpsl8065tkf.jpg

eric2186 - It definitely seems to be coming out from that seal just under the cylinder housing like Doppelgaenger said. I’ll definitely make sure to ask them not to use that gasket glue stuff, if at all possible. Thanks for the tip about trying to find the leak source.

Doppelgaenger - It’s a possibility that i just didn’t notice it start to leak when i last rode it. I feel like i would have noticed the smoke but maybe it started right before i got home or something. I totally didn’t even consider the oil getting on the tire, good call.  Good to know the oil shouldn’t catch fire :)

guzzisteve - Good to know, thanks man! hauling it is definitely looking like the best thing.

lucian - Will do, and I’ll be sure to post about what happens with the fix.

Triple Jim - Awesome tip about the powder, thanks!

GizziPilot - Yeah my local dealer does have a box van use to come and get bikes that need gett’n. I’d from what all you guys are saying I’m thinking that is going to be the best thing for my baby. And I think it is definitely possible that I just didn’t notice the leak last time i rode it (15 days ago).

To all - Thank you everyone for your help and advice. Based on all your responses I believe the best thing is for me to call my dealer and have them come and pick the bike up for service. Besides my own safety, I just don’t want to inadvertently cause any damage to my bike. Hopefully it won’t be to difficult or expensive but this is my baby and I’ve kind of got a huge blind spot when it comes to this bike so whatever it takes really.
Thanks again everyone!

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 07:32:39 PM »
Look on the block in front of cylinder, then move your eye's to on top. That's where the a & b  sensors are.
It could also be coming from the crankcase blow-by port, in front of LH cylinder just above where frame bolt attaches. A rectangular cap w/2 bolts and a hose.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Vasco DG

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 07:37:51 PM »
That's a lot of oil. I wouldn't ride it personally especially as you don't know where it's coming from. It's good you admit you aren't much of a mechanic, most people think they are and the results can sometimes be disastrous.

Chances are it will be the pressure switch but far better to be safe than sorry.

Pete

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 08:11:36 PM »
That photo with the oil puddled on the protruding cylinder base gasket does make it look like that gasket is leaking.  Not that I'm sure though.   :)
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Vasco DG

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 04:51:26 AM »
The gasket is a coated steel plate. The only way it will leak suddenly is if all four head nuts had simultaneously lost their tension and if that was the case it would make a horrible noise and leak from the head gasket too. Highly unlikely to be a gasket.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 06:40:28 AM »

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

jlburgess

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 08:44:39 AM »
That's a feature designed to lubricate the drive chain.  ;-T

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 09:17:21 AM »

Eeeks! No, I wouldn't be riding that..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

ChappyBoffins

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 08:43:17 PM »
Well I called the repair shop and they told me today. They said it's an oil pressure sensor that was leaking. The replacement part is on order. They said it might be coming from Atlanta (fingers crossed) but if not it will have to be sent from Italy. I was warned before i bought the bike that if a part has to come from Italy it might as well be on a row boat because of how long it can take to get here. On the upside (hopefully) they tell me it will be covered by my RPM one extended warranty. Hopefully it wont take that long to get here and everything will go smoothly with the paperwork. Just wanted to let all you guys know how it's going and to say thanks again for all your help.

Vasco DG

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 09:06:08 PM »
If they can't find one locally I have two in stock and the new adapter that you need for the new switch. If it takes too long give me a hoy, I'll pop it in a bag and you can send the ordered one back when it arrives.

Someone near you should have one though.

Pete

Moto

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »
MG Cycle has them for $28.50, plus 0.48 for the washer:

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_140&products_id=2387

When the shop is replacing yours tell them to take extra care to try to tighten up the electrical contact at the top with the slip-on connector, by closing up the connector a bit. If it comes loose later on you'll start getting oil pressure warning codes.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here