Author Topic: I live in SW Ohio..Looking to purchase a 2015 Red Griso....need a little help.  (Read 7740 times)

Offline msullivan

• New Egg
Ok ..I have been in discussions with a Guzzi dealer about acquiring a new 2015 Griso. one heck of deal btw!! ( I have had 2 Triumphs and 2 Ducs) I have a few concerns that I would like to get some of your opinions on.   I live in Southwest Ohio (in between Cincy and Dayton) and have no dealer within 3.5 -4 hrs. How do most of you all who live hrs away from a dealer get warranty work done? Just trailer it or can dealers send you the part?  next... I can do most basic maintenance, but have never done valve adjustments how hard are they to do? Do you all know of any individuals in SW Ohio who might  be willing to show me the ropes.

Thanks for your help

Mike
Guzzis in the Stable

2017 V7III Anniversario #448
2014 MG California 1400 Custom

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Ask your dealer if they have a pick up service, most do but at what cost? My dealer is 80 miles away and they get 40 dollars round trip, not worth the time to trailer at that rate. Might have to wait a couple of weeks to get it back as they wait until they have a full van until they go. That's ok if you have a second bike to ride imo. I do know you will love that griso if it fits you. Mine is an 09 and I find it very easy to do the basic maintenance such as fluids , filters, valves, ect. Lots of great info on this forum and a lot of good people eager to help all they can, all you have to do is ask. My dealer has a red 2015 with the spoke wheels, really nice looking griso. Best of luck

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
I would think that some of the SW Ohio guys will be around shortly.
That's the problem with Guzzis. People won't buy them because there's no local dealer. There's no local dealer because people won't buy them..  ;D
Just the same, service is probably as easy as any bike, certainly easier than most.
I'd look good on a red Grease O..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
Chuck who wouldn't look good on a new Griso? I actually like the red far better than last years silver devil. With a few add on's they make a great sport touring machine! A rear rack, some soft bags with a C-bow mount a small shield and for my crooked back a set of taller risers and watch out southern indianna! :+=copcar
I just set a new one up two weeks ago and WOW did it ever like this cold air, it felt a fair bit stronger than the last couple I took out.
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Wildguzzi.com

Offline Abbienormal

• New Egg
Granted it is not "close" but between Cincy and Dayton is under 4 hours from me and All Seasons in Wooster is an hour and 20 minutes in your direction from my place.  I would think about 3 to their place.  No real opinion on their retail sales not having purchased there but their service guy loves Guzzi.

Rudy
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring
2012 Suzuki 650 V-Strom Adventure
1998 Honda PC 800 Pacific Coast
2 (count them) 1972 Suzuki TS 90
1992 Yamaha Razz 50

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
The Griso will be so easy to maintain (routine stuff like oil change, valve check/adjust, etc) that you will be amazed.  For one thing, the heads are sticking out in the breeze so they are easy to access.  Then the actual check/adjust is by simple screw & locknut; no shims, no cam to remove, easy-peasy.  The Griso guys can tell you if there are any Griso specific issues to deal with but my Stelvio has basically the same engine and it's no big deal to do a minor or major service.  The only thing you might want a dealer to do is to synch the throttle bodies and you could actually do that yourself with just a bit of instruction.  The initial dealer setup is the key to happiness.  Trouble is that most dealers just uncrate the bike, put gas in it, and hand you the key.  They really need to check stuff like the TB balance before you take the keys.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Vasco DG

What Peter says.

There are things I strongly recommend on top of proper PD?

At some point very early in the piece remove the Swingarm and grease the bearings and shock linkages. They are rarely done well at the factory.

Other than that? Make sure that the valve lash is done at the first service and ensure that the TB's are correctly balanced. Best bet is to buy the cables and download Guzzidiag and purchase a decent set of vacuum guages so you can do it yourself. There are lots of instructions on the proceedure on the web.

Make sure throttle cable free play is minimal and then just ride it for a bit. I'd advise against spending big bucks on tuning stuff like Power Commanders and the like. There are people who can set you up with a very satisfactory map, much superior to the factory one, for next to nothing.

Pete

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
Mr Whitaker, aka twhitaker, lives south of the Dayton area, he could probally give you some sound advice.
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
My biggest piece of advise is ride a Griso as much as possible before buy a Griso to make sure it is the bike for you. When my Griso was my only Guzzi it was great. When I had two Guzzi's it was my second favorite. When it was my third Guzzi it was my third favorite and so on. Eventually I sold it preferring the V50, V7R and a Eldo over it. If you have to resell because you find you don't like it plan on taking a financial thrashing.

Doubtful a dealer would ship you warranty parts as they do not know you level of mechanical expertise.

As for taking a bike in for service I don't think dealers offer a pickup service for 4 hours away. If they did it would probably be cost prohibitive. A pickup or trailer are probably your best bet if it needs to go in for service.   
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
One of the nicest facets of the marque is that they so seldom break down! Changing tires and oil gets boring after a while. We are having a breakfast in Germantown this Saturday. You might stop in and say hi.

Terry
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Bill Hagan

My biggest piece of advise is ride a Griso as much as possible before buy a Griso to make sure it is the bike for you. When my Griso was my only Guzzi it was great. When I had two Guzzi's it was my second favorite. When it was my third Guzzi it was my third favorite and so on. Eventually I sold it preferring the V50, V7R and a Eldo over it. If you have to resell because you find you don't like it plan on taking a financial thrashing.

I must have missed your "evolution."  But, as I can't remember what I had for breakfast an hour ago, that isn't especially surprising.   ::)

On the merits, I find your turn amazing and near unfathomable.  Obviously, YMMY ... and does.

I have had four Guzzis, all bought new.

They are all so different and appeal to different needs "needs," but, as with our 10 grandbabies, I have a favorite tho it isn't politic -- at least with the kids and their moms!  ;) :wife: -- to say so.

Which? 

The Griso.   Easily.

The only thing it does't do well -- at least in Kathi's case, and I'm not trading her in!  ;D -- is two-up riding.  Again, more a matter of her liking the Norge and EV so much for pillion work.

But, in everything else, including that undeniable draw -- lust -- the Griso is my favorite of 'em all.   If a V50, V7R and a Eldo would change that, I'd better stay away from those.  :D

And OP Mike, if a guy like me can do minor maintenance -- R&R fluids, adjust valves; R& brakes & fluid, etc. -- anybody can. OK, OK, I do screw up now and then  ;D, and while in warranty, I'd probably have dealer do any required maintenance "just cuz," but otherwise, fear not.  Besides, the overnighter to a dealer is one more excuse for a long ride.  Spousal units understand ... or pretend they do.   ;)

Best wishes in making the decision,

Bill

ALIBI - My favorite grandchild?  See pic.  I won't let her near the Griso.   ;D

ALIBI 2 - Apropos long haul to dealer.  This pic was taken in SW Wisconsin two years ago, when I (happily) got lost on way back home from the dealer, 150 miles away.  Turned into an 1100-mile trip.  Those things happen.    :D

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
Like Jim at Rose Farm told me- If your within 500 miles of a Guzzi shop you are in the neighborhood ;D
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline msullivan

• New Egg
Thanks guys for giving me a little peace of mind.I still haven't been able to sit on the bike, its just to hard right now with work to get the free time, but Im still in talks with this dealer so Ill let you know how it turns out.

Guzzis in the Stable

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Thanks guys for giving me a little peace of mind.I still haven't been able to sit on the bike, its just to hard right now with work to get the free time, but Im still in talks with this dealer so Ill let you know how it turns out.

Seriously.. if you can get it from one of the "good" dealers, your experience will be much better.. a 500 mile trip to pick it up isn't squat in the long haul.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Rosso Woody

• Hatchling
I live down in Northern Ky and do most my own maintenance. There are a couple of us down in cincinnati and we are investing in the software for tune ups. Need this for my 1200 Sport. Still looking for a good map that lessens the pop on deceleration. But Enzo at Cadre Cycle works on Guzzi in Cincinnati and is top notch if I ever need help beyond my limits...
David "Woody" Woodward
2017 Stelvio
2015 Suzuki GSXS 750
2007 Griso 1100
2005 Honda Ruckus
2004 Suzuki Wee Strom
2000 V11 Sport "Greenie"
1997 Sport 1100 ie

Offline Delta425

• New Egg
Ok ..I have been in discussions with a Guzzi dealer about acquiring a new 2015 Griso. one heck of deal btw!! ( I have had 2 Triumphs and 2 Ducs) I have a few concerns that I would like to get some of your opinions on.   I live in Southwest Ohio (in between Cincy and Dayton) and have no dealer within 3.5 -4 hrs. How do most of you all who live hrs away from a dealer get warranty work done? Just trailer it or can dealers send you the part?  next... I can do most basic maintenance, but have never done valve adjustments how hard are they to do? Do you all know of any individuals in SW Ohio who might  be willing to show me the ropes.

Thanks for your help

Mike
Mike, I live in Northern Kentucky and just bought a Norge from Sloan Cycles in Murfreesboro, TN (www.sloansmotorcycl e.com).  They are about 4 hours from here (think Nashville area), and this dealership was absolutely fantastic and easy to work with.  I spoke with the guys in northern Ohio and, while they were cordial, were not nearly as open and accommodating as Hank at Sloan's was. 
Also, as noted by Rosso Woody, I have heard nothing but good things about Cadre Cycle in Cincinnati, although I have no first hand experience with them.

Dennis

Offline sgl0226

• New Egg
I will be following this thread as my guzzi, Indian, and I will be moving back to cincy in the next year or two.

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Ride to Eat, Eat To Ride
    • Facebook Page
There should be a NEW Guzzi dealer in Cincinnati VERY soon.
Cyclehoarders Garage
2021 Honda CT125 Trail Cub
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Speical
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1987 Suzuki Samurai (4 Wheels)
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Offline msullivan

• New Egg
There should be a NEW Guzzi dealer in Cincinnati VERY soon.

I just heard that a day or so ago.
Guzzis in the Stable

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here