Author Topic: When is it a heart vs. a head decision?!  (Read 1538 times)

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
Re: When is it a heart vs. a head decision?!
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2021, 06:54:17 AM »
Fredrik:  In that situation, I would say it depends on how many test drives you have had which one you end up with.  Some of those quiet, shy types can fool you.
Blue Guzz

Offline Fredrik

• Hatchling
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2021, 06:58:35 AM »
Fredrik:  In that situation, I would say it depends on how many test drives you have had which one you end up with.  Some of those quiet, shy types can fool you.

True!  :grin:
Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber -2021
Moto Guzzi V7 Special -1971
Ural Retro 750 -2011
Ural Вояж 720 -1999
IZH Jupiter-3.01 -1980
IZH Planeta-5 -1993
Honda Black Widow 750 -2001
Aprilia Leonardo 125 -1999

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2021, 08:07:45 AM »
Humility is key. I’ve had some heart decisions that went terribly wrong. For examples see my first wife, numerous GFs, a Mitsubishi Montero Sport, a KZ1000LTD, and a beautiful Victory V92c. However, when I temper my hearts desires with some input from my thinking head, I have some truly wonderful experiences. My current wife, Guzzi, Home, and general situation all point to leading with your heart, but tempering with rational thinking from the head, giving the best results. At least in my own situation.

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2021, 09:10:21 AM »
Great replies!

It appears that the hearts desires and the minds inquiries, in some type  of balance, make for the best decisions for most of us.
I must admit that I grow weary of researching the beejeebees out of bikes only to lose or dismiss that heart feel and input.
Spec sheets, pics and even other riders reviews only give a glimpse and only a long “betrothal”  allow for us to truly know a bike.
After all, riding is wind therapy which is good for the soul, mind and body ay?

RideOn!
 :bike-037:
inditx

This is the day.....

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2021, 09:10:21 AM »

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2021, 09:31:45 AM »
For me is all heart that drives me, but the decision is with the head. Has been since my first ride and being forbidden from owning a bike, I saved bought and kept my motorcycles at a friends house till I went to college.

My head (and philosophy of $$) overrides my heart all the time, for cars, guns and motorcycles.

Like most here, I love riding period, but my heart has to be engaged if I am going to own the bike. This is why I have a Stornello V7II, but am not drawn to the V7III. It's a heart thing.  It's why I don't like the EV, or older Eldo's, or 1400, or Breva 11/750, but LOVE the Convert, 1200 Sport, and Griso.   The heart is why I like the older 4V motors over the 8V motors...... My heart connects with these bikes in the riding experience and appearance.

My heart also says "buy the Super Tenere, Duc Monster, KTM Super Duke, Thruxton TFC, and so on, but my head says NOPE'
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Bee

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2021, 09:32:12 AM »
This thread could have been written for me, I’ve just come off the phone with the MG dealer 30 mins ago having bought this V9 Bobber Sport! It was advertised a day or so ago and I just saw it by chance, 2019 model with next to no mileage, had a bit of a sleepless night, there are a dozen (sensible) reasons for not buying it but it’s soooooo gorgeous I ran it past my wife, got the all clear so did. I’m now skint. I love the look of these and cannot wait to get it. My Pan has had to go in p/x which is a shame but I had to to make the numbers work.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 09:39:49 AM by Bee »
2023 V7 Stone Special

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2021, 10:13:51 AM »
Beautiful bike Bee and welcome!
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2021, 07:00:11 AM »
Bee,  congratulations on the new bike!  And welcome to WG!

Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2021, 09:10:41 AM »
As I've mentioned several times here, if you really want to read about a bike and get some meaningful insights prior to purchase or just to satisfy your curiosity buy and read BIKE and Motorcycle Sport and Leisure from the UK.  First of all, the writers are head and shoulders above the US motoscribes in their experience and knowledge IMO.  More important, it's the norm for them to live with a bike for 3 to10K miles, or sometimes even longer.  This is how you get a real impression-not on the 300 mile company ride so many magazines offer as "reviews".  And every now and again the entire crew will set off with several different bikes across Europe and come back with a wonderful story about how they work over week(s) and 1000's of miles in all weathers and conditions.
Those mags are the best 10 bucks (each) you'll spend and will spoil you for most other content related to reviews.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2021, 09:44:12 AM »
For me is all heart that drives me, but the decision is with the head. Has been since my first ride and being forbidden from owning a bike, I saved bought and kept my motorcycles at a friends house till I went to college.

My head (and philosophy of $$) overrides my heart all the time, for cars, guns and motorcycles.

Like most here, I love riding period, but my heart has to be engaged if I am going to own the bike. This is why I have a Stornello V7II, but am not drawn to the V7III. It's a heart thing.  It's why I don't like the EV, or older Eldo's, or 1400, or Breva 11/750, but LOVE the Convert, 1200 Sport, and Griso.   The heart is why I like the older 4V motors over the 8V motors...... My heart connects with these bikes in the riding experience and appearance.

My heart also says "buy the Super Tenere, Duc Monster, KTM Super Duke, Thruxton TFC, and so on, but my head says NOPE'

Well said.  For anyone who is involved in any successful long term hobby, activity, or relationship, it is not an either/or heart or head process, but a process of combining the two.  A lot of human activities make absolutely no sense to me, but hey, as long as the participants are happy, my opinions should be of no value or concern to them whatsoever.

Anytime I run any motorcycle decision by my wife, her response is always the same:  "Do whatever makes you happy!"

Great advice for all humans to follow.

I wonder if it would be a viable business to own a fleet of 20-50 exotic/vintage/classic bikes and rent them out for 1-2 hour rides at $150-200.  If situated in the ride location......  Insurance might be a killer.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2021, 09:48:24 AM »
As I've mentioned several times here, if you really want to read about a bike and get some meaningful insights prior to purchase or just to satisfy your curiosity buy and read BIKE and Motorcycle Sport and Leisure from the UK.  First of all, the writers are head and shoulders above the US motoscribes in their experience and knowledge IMO.  More important, it's the norm for them to live with a bike for 3 to10K miles, or sometimes even longer.  This is how you get a real impression-not on the 300 mile company ride so many magazines offer as "reviews".  And every now and again the entire crew will set off with several different bikes across Europe and come back with a wonderful story about how they work over week(s) and 1000's of miles in all weathers and conditions.
Those mags are the best 10 bucks (each) you'll spend and will spoil you for most other content related to reviews.

Thanks for the input.  I have long given up on motorcycle mags from the US.  The last to go was Motorcycle Consumer News. 

Practical Sportsbikes is also an excellent motorcycle magazine from the UK. 

Written by very knowledgeable enthusiasts re: "Young boys who refuse to grow up."  Which describes most of the fun/happy people I have met in life.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 06:49:26 PM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2021, 10:14:04 AM »
 For me it is all about the heart! I bought my first guzzi based on pictures only just this past june, just doing some casual browsing of local craigslist. the more I researched the cal-vin the more I wanted it, even though my brain was telling me nooooo!~ too much this n that n whadevers... "a flush beats a strait every time!" the heart wins! now I ride a guzzi.
its not the end of the world...but you can see it from here!
2007 california vintage

Offline coast range rider

• Hatchling
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2021, 11:15:07 AM »
I've only ever owned one Guzzi, my Stelvio. I love it.

Before purchase I read every magazine's adventure bike comparison test. They always put Stelvio in last place, while putting the R1200GS in first place. The ex-racer salesman at the Moto Guzzi dealership said he owned a boring R1200GS, he was selling it, and he loved the Stelvio.
I went with my head to trust the salesman's heart.
2017 Stelvio
2002 V11 LeMans

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2021, 01:12:15 PM »

This! +1  :thumb: :bow:
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2021, 06:44:56 PM »
Most times bikes ride pretty much like they look.  There are exceptions but rarely.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here