Author Topic: 2000 Jackal click / start  (Read 575 times)

Offline JimRob

• New Egg
2000 Jackal click / start
« on: September 17, 2022, 01:39:05 PM »
I’ve read earlier posts and watched youtube videos on this problem, but I’m still hoping for specific help on wiring a fused lead from my starter relay to the battery positive terminal?
 As background, this old tractor link

https://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2000_Jackal.gif

shows the schematics for my bike. Although I’ve intermittently had the starter problem for over a decade (mileage now 85K), my current Odyssey PC925L is two years old (4K miles) and kept on a battery tender, the current Valeo starter is less than 3 years old (5K miles). Included with the starter were instructions for intermittent solenoid function to add a separate 14 gauge wire from relay terminal 87 to the solenoid spade terminal, which I did (soldered, not crimped). Just now, I’ve re-cleaned the battery and starter/solenoid connections with emery cloth, starter relay connections and starter button. With a jeweler’s file, I did find a small amount of corrosion on the starter button contacts, but all this hasn’t eliminated the intermittent click start.   

With little electrical knowledge, it makes sense to me that the longer route to the starter button, ignition switch, etc.….. contributes to amperage loss at the solenoid, and bypassing the switch with a fused wire directly from the starter relay to the battery positive terminal would increase amperage, but I’m confused as to which terminal on my starter relay, and do I disconnect and insulate the original relay wire from the terminal? (shown for example on Breva youtube video I saw). Thanks in advance. Jim

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: 2000 Jackal click / start
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 02:40:47 PM »
Go to auto store & get a 30A button, 30A fused wire. Put a ring terminal on it to batt & button then wire to female spade to solenoid spade.
Turn on key hit button go ride. That will not let you down.

"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 08:33:45 AM »
I found the Fix pretty simple.  When I get the click, I put the bike in gear, roll it forward or backwards to move the fly wheel and hit the starter button.  It seems to be the starter gear is hitting between teeth on the flywheel and does not have enough power to engage the flywheel. 

I thought about the bigger wire and bigger relay as a fix.  If I was going to do it, I would just get a bigger wire and push button switch, by passing the handlebar switch.  The bump method seems to work though.

Offline JimRob

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 01:54:26 PM »
Steve, Just wanted to clarify how to hook-up the remote start button in reference to your reply to my request for help- copied below
"Go to auto store & get a 30A button, 30A fused wire. Put a ring terminal on it to batt & button then wire to female spade to solenoid spade. Turn on key hit button go ride. That will not let you down."
For the battery positive terminal, does this fused wire with the start button get spliced into the wire already connected to the spade at the back of the solenoid? My confusion is because the other connection to the solenoid, 12 mm nut just about it with ring terminal heavy wire already connected directly to the battery positive terminal. 
Thanks, Jim

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 01:54:26 PM »

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 07:12:51 PM »
Before you get too carried away split the start switch block and hit it with some contact cleaner, pull and reset the relay's and maybe hit the contacts with the contact cleaner.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 08:43:33 PM »
Before you get too carried away split the start switch block and hit it with some contact cleaner, pull and reset the relay's and maybe hit the contacts with the contact cleaner.
With that era Guzzi the ignition switch contacts are quite wimpy
As Murray says clean the switch and apply some fresh Vaseline, that should see you right for a year or so.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 09:59:40 PM »
You could hook the hot wire to that terminal if you want.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline JimRob

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 10:34:30 AM »
I've already cleaned the relay terminals and start button with contact cleaner, filed the start button contacts, but I'd forgotten about the ignition switch contacts.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here