Author Topic: Update! Ford Golden Jubilee Tractor  (Read 2311 times)

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
Update! Ford Golden Jubilee Tractor
« on: October 02, 2021, 09:44:46 PM »
I know this is totally non-Guzzi, but I trust the collective wisdom here and figured maybe somebody was a tractor guru too. 

I’m looking at a 1953 Ford Golden Jubilee tractor. Working tractor in good condition, but not collector grade. New wiring, overhauled hydraulics, rebuilt engine, turned and trued crank, new bearings, etc.  I’m just looking for a decent little tractor to bush hog about 12 acres of level pasture field.  Maybe light grading work on a gravel road.  Seller said that parts are, surprisingly, quite well available.

It starts instantly, idles smoothly, no oil smoke from exhaust, no weird noises, everything seems to work normally.   

Thoughts or tips?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 07:47:07 PM by SmithSwede »
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Ford Golden Jubilee Tractor NGC
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 09:52:10 PM »
I don't know tractors but I'd for the heck of it check on parts on Ebay & Amazon also to a Goggle search.  You never know.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 10:12:33 PM »
 :drool: drool.. I'm always drooling over tractors like that but don't have anywhere to use one. Just get it!
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 10:13:47 PM »
Out of curiosity.....how much?  I'm older than the tractor.   :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 10:13:47 PM »

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 11:06:16 PM »
     I owned a 1952 Ferguson 2085 for a few years, it would be very comparable if not almost identical to the tractor you're looking at; extremely tough, durable, old fashioned iron, but very limited in what you can actually do with it.

The hydraulic system is usually very minimal, a front end loader is out of the question unless you throw huge coin and work at it.

If you only want to do rough grading and you don't care about the quality of the job,it will do it; but if you want to do a decent job, you'll be getting out of the seat and adjusting your top link manually ALL the time, that gets old real quick. With a modern tractor with remote hydraulic ports you can install a hydraulic top link and adjust at will on the fly with a simple flick of the lever, that feature alone makes grading a pleasure rather than a pain.

I didn't do a lot of brush hogging with my Fergie, but I think If your brush hogging is rough in wide open areas, it'll do it, but iirc that's not an independent pto drive,  so when you try to slow or stop around obstacles or people, the mower blade inertia will keep pushing the tractor until the energy dissipates, my understanding is, it can be dangerous if you're not careful, idk?.

It's definitely a beautiful piece of old iron, they just don't make machines like that anymore,if it comes with good implements, you know the tractor, and it makes your heart go pitter patter, and it was a good deal, I'd consider it; but if you may want to do more work with it, your money might be better spent on a machine a few decades younger.

fwiw
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 04:28:11 AM »
     My 2 cents for what it is worth. They are not much for getting work done, but collectors like them. They are absolutely worthless in snow traction wise comparable to most anything else. If I were wanting to cut brush I would look elsewhere.
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 07:07:59 AM »
Gramp always had an 8n and 9n tractors on the farm in the 70's when I was kid and kept a 9N until he died. Even back then, they were not used much in comparison to his newer modern ford tractors.  Sickle bar mowing, firewood cut-off saw, moving some equipment between farms and towing a small wagon for related work.  I wouldn't plan on doing real work with one.  Old tractors are like antique machine shop equipment.  They're cool, but they're legitimate meat eating machines.  Modern conveniences like actual brakes & front tires that don't roll off the wheels, roll bars and proper weight distribution are life savers. 

My brother has a Golden Jubilee, but it's still "in process."..
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 07:12:12 AM »
My 1958 IH 350. First mechanical device that I drove as a kid. In 2005 spent $2,400 to make it reliable again plus a new rear tire. Only expense since has been for a battery and oil changes.

GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 08:38:31 AM »
     My 2 cents for what it is worth. They are not much for getting work done, but collectors like them. They are absolutely worthless in snow traction wise comparable to most anything else. If I were wanting to cut brush I would look elsewhere. Just remembered this tidbit, my uncle Beverly from Great Falls was killed on one in 1958 when it rolled over on a grade, got pinned underneath.

Just added this last part as my memory kicks in. One other death in my own neighborhood of a kid whose Dad had a contract to mow road ditches with mounted sickle mowers on a pair of those tractors. He burned while pinned under it when it rolled.  The problem appears to be you sit down in those things and when it rolls you can't easily just jump off.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 08:49:50 AM by acogoff »
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 08:56:32 AM »
Let’s see if I remember this right. When going along running something off the pto and you push in the clutch, it doesn’t disengage the pto and the momentum of the driven machine can drive you along for a bit or your forward momentum drives the equipment for a bit. Not sure, It’s been a long time but there is something like that ‘feature’
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 10:43:07 AM »
Let’s see if I remember this right. When going along running something off the pto and you push in the clutch, it doesn’t disengage the pto and the momentum of the driven machine can drive you along for a bit or your forward momentum drives the equipment for a bit. Not sure, It’s been a long time but there is something like that ‘feature’
Does not have live power, best of my recollection. However I stand corrected if wrong.
GrandPa said they were not up to his team of mules🤔
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 10:45:34 AM by Ncdan »

Offline Iron Cross Junction

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2021, 11:15:24 AM »
I know this is totally non-Guzzi, but I trust the collective wisdom here and figured maybe somebody was a tractor guru too. 

I’m looking at a 1953 Ford Golden Jubilee tractor. Working tractor in good condition, but not collector grade. New wiring, overhauled hydraulics, rebuilt engine, turned and trued crank, new bearings, etc.  I’m just looking for a decent little tractor to bush hog about 12 acres of level pasture field.  Maybe light grading work on a gravel road.  Seller said that parts are, surprisingly, quite well available.

It starts instantly, idles smoothly, no oil smoke from exhaust, no weird noises, everything seems to work normally.   

Thoughts or tips?

Thought of you this morning while being bayonetted by Kathi on our latest Bataan Death March out in the countryside.   :thewife:

Anyway, here's what prompted my thinking of your inquiry:

I am not an expert on the 1953 Ford Golden Jubilee, or, FTM, much else, but this one looks pretty close.  No doubt the tractor cognoscenti here will help.

Anyway, I used the tractor as an excuse to get my heart rate and breathing down from hummingbird to old fat guy levels, so I am grateful to you for asking, even if this is way different than what you asked about.   :bow:

FWIW, that tractor had just finished working that field you see in the pic and more.

Best,

Bill
Bill Hagan

Proud Member of Moto Guzzi's Envy-of-the-Industry Post-Sale R&D Program!

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2004 V11 Ballabio, Sold; sigh
2007 Norge [NORJ], Sold; sigh
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Offline Moto Vita

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2021, 04:38:09 PM »
 Sounds like it'll do what you want. I think that has the OHV engine, which I consider an improvement over the flatheads. Don't expect to do a lot of road grading, it's a pretty light tractor. Any part you need is readily available and probably will be for as long as we can still buy gasoline. Photos would be informative. It probably doesn't have a seat switch or seat belt or roll bar. A lot of people used to get killed on farm tractors, it's not something you should just toss the key to the grandson and turn him loose on.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 04:46:21 PM by Moto Vita »

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2021, 04:51:55 PM »
C'mon now!!  Time to hook up that tiller and get down to tilling!! :laugh: :grin: :wink: :thumb: :cool: :boozing: :bow:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2021, 05:06:11 PM »
SmithSwede,

FWIW, my opinion is..... buy that thing if what you want is something to tinker with, that will do what you want, but only if you are prepared for the potential supply problems that may occur with something that old.  And only.... if the problem add to the satisfaction of ownership.  Those old tractors are damn close to indestructible, but have their idiosyncrasies.

As the saying goes "They don't make em like that anymore!!!!!"  And there are plenty of reasons why they don't make them like that anymore.

If all you want is occasional mowing and grading it may make a lot of sense to rent some new equipment.  Or hire it out.

Then flat tires, or any other problems are not your problems and don't cost you a cent.

My Dad had a construction company, so I grew up on dozers, loaders, backhoes and all sort of tractors (probably nothing newer than 1950).  I'd love to own a bunch of them, if only I knew I'd never have to fix or pay for the repair and upkeep.

Try to fix one flat rear tire filled with calcium in a muddy field or in the winter.... and oddly enough all the romance is replaced with a endless stream of profanity......

Then again..... it builds character.......
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2021, 09:55:36 PM »
Any part you want is available, easy to find, and cheap enough. The only negative I can remember on our Ferguson (same thing) is that you need to drain & replace the hydraulic fluid every 2 years.  The box somehow can collect moisture which will freeze in the winter and bust parts inside when you engage it while iced. The repair kit costs about 250 bucks and is not a huge challenge. The overhead valve engines are superior, like 35 HP instead of 25.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 09:56:13 PM by wymple »
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline CalVin2007

• fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2021, 07:59:29 AM »
 A simple adapter will fix the problem of the pto driven implement pushing the tractor even if the clutch is pushed in. Search PTO overrunning clutch and you'll find a bunch of them on the 'bay. Around $75-$85.

If I wanted a loader tractor I'd pass on the old Ford. If I just needed a machine to do some mowing, light grading and general work around the place where the traction of such a machine is needed then the Ford would be a nice choice.

Terry
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

Offline Moto Vita

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2021, 09:41:44 AM »
A simple adapter will fix the problem of the pto driven implement pushing the tractor even if the clutch is pushed in. Search PTO overrunning clutch and you'll find a bunch of them on the 'bay. Around $75-$85.
  Terry

I wish somebody had told me that when I had my old TO35.

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2021, 09:44:12 AM »
Yes, it’s the overhead cam version.  And the hydraulic pump is mounted on engine, not inside transmission, so you have hydraulics with the engine running but trans in neutral. 

All I really need to do is light bush hogging on a level pasture of about 12 acres.  And getting my daughter’s car unstuck when she drives into the mud annually.

I confess I kinda grew up with an even older Ford tractor the family used on our place in Alabama. I’m used to tinkering, and sentimental enough to consider giving this old girl a forever home.   We’ll see
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2021, 09:46:10 AM »
Thought of you this morning while being bayonetted by Kathi on our latest Bataan Death March out in the countryside.   :thewife:

Anyway, here's what prompted my thinking of your inquiry:

Bill. Thanks for posting that!  Made me smile
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;

Online QuattroValvole

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2021, 11:31:35 AM »
I use my 1956 Ford 660 for the same purposes you are looking for around my 20 acres. The 600 series was the successor to the Jubilee and is nearly identical in most respects. Mine has the "dual clutch" live PTO option which I believe was available on the NAA/Jubilee also. I've never had an issue with the "pushing" that some describe. I think you could almost build a new one with the parts available from Steiner and other sources.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2021, 02:19:16 PM »
The History Channel has series on "The Machinery that made America."  One episode was on tractors and yes, Ford is in there because of the gasoline engine.  A big move away from steam to smaller gas engine tractors.

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2021, 04:36:23 PM »

Yep.  Probably about 3/4 of the tractor my Dad had, had that feature.  Hook up a big flywheel to the PTO output shaft and it will drive the tractor an additional 10-15 feet farther than if there is no flywheel hooked up to the PTO.

Not a big deal if you are aware of it, but it you're not, it could be a very memorable mistake.

Same thing with calcium filled rear tires.

I suspect the only thing on that tractor that might wear out is points, condenser, rotor, and distributor cap.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2021, 06:24:55 PM »
The History Channel has series on "The Machinery that made America."  One episode was on tractors and yes, Ford is in there because of the gasoline engine.  A big move away from steam to smaller gas engine tractors.

Not American, but this always amazed me. They made well over 220,000 of them and were copied in many countries. Crazy engineering concept, they were popular in Europe.

https://youtu.be/pYeEotP_c3M
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2021, 06:35:57 AM »
Not American, but this always amazed me. They made well over 220,000 of them and were copied in many countries. Crazy engineering concept, they were popular in Europe.

https://youtu.be/pYeEotP_c3M

That is tooooo cool!  I'd love to have one of those just to listen to and put around on.  thanks for posting.

According to my calculations, 45 HP at 630 RPM is 375 FT-LBS of torque!!!!  What a monster!!!!

My 8.1 liter GMC 2500. is rated at 400 FT-LBS at 1600 RPM.

BTW, an inline Detroit Diesel 6-71 (two stroke) will also run backwards.  An almost stall and then run backwards situation. 

Only seen it happen once.  But like Bigfoot or UFO's, once is proof enough for the eyewitness!!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 07:33:32 AM by SIR REAL ED »

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2021, 08:29:28 AM »
Now that’s a thumper !
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2021, 03:17:59 PM »
Yes, it’s the overhead cam version.  And the hydraulic pump is mounted on engine, not inside transmission, so you have hydraulics with the engine running but trans in neutral. 

All I really need to do is light bush hogging on a level pasture of about 12 acres.  And getting my daughter’s car unstuck when she drives into the mud annually.

I confess I kinda grew up with an even older Ford tractor the family used on our place in Alabama. I’m used to tinkering, and sentimental enough to consider giving this old girl a forever home.   We’ll see

You'll be fine with the Ford.  Lots of them around.  Parts available.  Simple and reliable.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2021, 05:33:21 PM »

<br

Ford Schmord, One of these will impress your friends and neighbors.   " Yeah I got a Lamborghini " :evil:

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2021, 05:53:42 PM »
Reading this has given me flashbacks of catching an oil pipeline with a plow on a John Deere when I was 16. 

I never realized how much I was in danger until I read this and thought about my predicament.  It's almost like PTSD now.   :sad:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2021, 06:46:42 PM »
I think the concensus is SmtihSwede needs to get his butt in gear and buy this tractor!!!!!!

If he lets us all down by not buying it........ what kind of friend would do that?

Ask for our advice.... then hurt all our feelings by not listening to us......

Those old tractors are so simple, even a Moto Guzzitisti could keep it running for ever.

Clutch replacement sequences are virtually identical......

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here