Author Topic: 750 Breva gear change  (Read 2648 times)

Offline cheshirelad

• New Egg
750 Breva gear change
« on: June 20, 2019, 03:55:02 AM »
Hi to all from a wet Manchester, has anyone ever altered the angle of the foot change gear shift on a 2003/6 750 Breva? I am finding that I have to lift my foot off the footpeg in order to change down whereas on previous bikes it was always lower than the footpeg. Is there a quick way or do I have to strip all the exhaust pipe etc. from the bike. Or can it be done just with the linking shaft screw adjusters? It looks to remove the shift pedal from the splines I'd have to strip the left side of the bike. Just trying to save myself all the hassle. Any tips would be very welcome as I'm not up to speed on MG knowhow. Many thanks.
                                                                                                                              Ted R.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
Re: 750 Breva gear change
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 02:19:11 PM »
Ted,
On most Guzzis you can get some adjustment by partially taking the lever assembly off, and re-connecting the splined shaft either one or two splines up or down. 

The adjustment can be fairly coarse, and on my V7 I ended up drilling and fitting a new peg in the orig. lever, that fit my foot better.

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 05:19:24 PM »
I understand completely Ted.

My riding position has my foot at at least 45 degrees.

Undo the four hex bolts and remove that aluminium panel, easy peasy; that allows the access to get at the spline as Joe has said.  I have it so that the full throw of the gear lever stops about 1mm from the footrest.  Adjust first on the spline and then on the rod linking the inner shift lever to the box.  I tried to keep that lever and the one on the gearbox as parallel as possible.

Check too that there is no sideways movement on the shaft running through the frame.  There was quite a bit on my Breva and I ended up making a spacer for it; made for much more positive changes.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 08:36:28 PM »
I found this on this old tractor in the supplementary section - one person's solution. It's probable that there are more solutions out there.

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_small_blocks_breva_750_shift_lever_adjustment.html
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 08:36:28 PM »

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 02:27:21 AM »
Mal, I solved the problem of the long thread by making a new 12mm dia. one of exactly the right length with no thread showing.  Once set your riding position doesn't tend to alter.  New heavier duty joints as well.
03 Breva

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 07:29:32 AM »
My problem with getting the lever low enough to be comfortable to use was that no matter what method I used the lever hit on the frame bracket for the lower bolt holding the plate to the frame not allowing proper downshifting. The first time I attempted this job I was ill equiped for the job having no grinder so I tediously employed the file on my Leatherman to remove some of the width of the lever. My wife later took a parking lot spill bending the lever, I obtained a spare and tried to straighten the original which then broke. Modifying the replacement was much easier with the grinder now on hand. The whole thing is a royal pain in the behind and should have never left the factory without an easier method of adjustment,  just typical Guzzi character. I still love my Guzzis and some of their character traits.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 01:27:14 PM »
Since I’m not at home now I can’t look, maybe some one can,But could an adjustable shift lever from a Norge fit the Breva? I don’t have a problem shifting my wife’s baby Breva , but she does and is constantly complaining it won’t shift into gear right. I’ve put a lot of miles on it and haven’t noticed it. Bigger foot, more aggressive shifting not sure why.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 09:13:32 PM »
The whole thing is a royal pain in the behind and should have never left the factory without an easier method of adjustment,  just typical Guzzi character. I still love my Guzzis and some of their character traits.

Brian

The actual adjustment is quite easy, the problem is when it hits that mounting boss.  I looked at removing it; the cover it supports is pretty solid and may not need that mount.  However, I decided against grinding it off and I just have the maximum throw of the lever finishing about 1mm away from it.
03 Breva

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 06:29:18 AM »
Muzz, I didn't remove or grind on the bracket, I removed material from the lever itself. I deemed the bracket as necessary and the added width of the lever as surplus. A note about shifting the 750 Breva and maybe other smallblocks: the clutch handelbar lever has minimal cable pull. It is nearly impossible to get good shifting when you are unable to unengage tne clutch. I have been unable to get sufficient cable pull on most of the Brevas I have worked on 1mm freeplay when cold equals 0 freeplay when hot = clutch slippage, 0 freeplay when cold = no disengagement when hot or cold, making shifting impossible, 1mm freeplay when hot = no disengagement cold, impossible to shift. Both of the Brevas I have had the clutches out of showed considerable slippage evidence, blued hard plates and worn clutch discs. I have searched for a lever with more cable pull but 19mm seems to be the standard, thinner grips seem to help as does patience when shifting, including always looking for nuetral while still moving before comung to a stop. Obviously ymmv, this is my experience. More Guzzi goodness..

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 07:22:31 AM »
Brian, one of the best things I did was get a pair of levers off AliExpress, adjustable, foldable, extendable and done in matching red and black bits almost exactly the same red as the Breva.  All done in CNC'd 6061 alloy.  The shape of the lever is that when it is pulled in the lever follows the handlebar exactly  and gives just that bit more cable travel.  I have very short fingers and have the lever adjusted as close to the bar as it will go, and still the clutch disengages perfectly.

Best $44-00 I ever spent on the bike, and I got the pair for the same price as one muck metal Guzzi lever.
03 Breva

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 09:44:22 AM »
I went with these levers, clutch and brake, from MG Cycle.  They're economical and drop-in fit.  Made by Domino (I think), just like the OEM.

09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 09:49:37 AM »
Brian, one of the best things I did was get a pair of levers off AliExpress, adjustable, foldable, extendable and done in matching red and black bits almost exactly the same red as the Breva.  All done in CNC'd 6061 alloy.  The shape of the lever is that when it is pulled in the lever follows the handlebar exactly  and gives just that bit more cable travel.  I have very short fingers and have the lever adjusted as close to the bar as it will go, and still the clutch disengages perfectly.

Best $44-00 I ever spent on the bike, and I got the pair for the same price as one muck metal Guzzi lever.
Could you link to where you bought them and post a picture or yours too? Thanks

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 10:27:39 AM »
Since my wife was the primary rider of the Breva and has small hands, I used an adjustable lever from a Centauro which fits. I found the clutch slipping on a spring test ride. I started investigating the adjustment problem,  I was not able to find any lever that had more than 19mm of cable travel at the lever end. Muzz can you measure the cable travel available with you levers?? Iam very interested!!!!

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2019, 08:45:20 PM »
Brian, I have my lever set that there is close to 4mm of cable travel before any firmness in the pull sets in, then there is a total movement of 16mm.  Lever is set as close to the handlebar as it will go.

I have REALLY short fingers, hence a fair amount of travel before anything happens.  No clutch drag and goes in to first real easy.  Will try to come up with the site and try to organise a photo.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/GT-Motor-F-16-D-37-Adjustable-CNC-3D-Extendable-Folding-Brake-Clutch-Levers-For-MOTO/32803624065.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.38624c4dtlf3oL

I bought the no. 1 red; looks really sharp.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 08:57:32 PM by Muzz »
03 Breva

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 09:56:26 PM »
Muzz I have ordered a set of those levers. You indicate 20mm of cable travel that is 1mm more than I have been able to achieve. So we'll give that a try.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2019, 04:02:03 AM »
Could you find a colour to match the Breva Brian?

As I said, I went with the #1 red, but seriously though of the Italian coloured ones.
03 Breva

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2019, 05:39:46 AM »
Our Breva is red so I ordered the red. We also have a recently aquired black Breva. I have very little time to devote to these bikes right now, I am busy insulating and walling off a portion of my pole barn and will heat and air condition it. The area has been my work shop for some time, so much clearing out and organizing has to be done before work can start in earnest. Last winter the cabin fever was really bad for me.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2019, 08:07:28 AM »
Brian, I have my lever set that there is close to 4mm of cable travel before any firmness in the pull sets in, then there is a total movement of 16mm.  Lever is set as close to the handlebar as it will go.

I have REALLY short fingers, hence a fair amount of travel before anything happens.  No clutch drag and goes in to first real easy.  Will try to come up with the site and try to organise a photo.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/GT-Motor-F-16-D-37-Adjustable-CNC-3D-Extendable-Folding-Brake-Clutch-Levers-For-MOTO/32803624065.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.38624c4dtlf3oL

I bought the no. 1 red; looks really sharp.

Muzz,

I see you ordered off Aliexpress.  Have you ordered many things from them?
Whenever that company comes up in searches I pass them over, thinking it a no-name Chinese fraud or something.
Are they a legitimate, useful vendor?

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2019, 03:51:01 AM »
Have bought a fair bit of stuff off them Joe.  Only one deal went sour (actually, it was a set of the same levers only with "Moto Guzzi" etched on them). Ali express refunded the full amount.

The levers I got are pretty high quality for the price.  In fact, I would call them superb at this stage.  Look and are finished way better  than the original.

Aliexpress is not actually a shop.  It is the ordering centre for a huge number of online stores.  They list the store and then you deal direct with the store.  Any hiccups, if you can't sort it with the store you can take it up with Aliexpress, and they will sort it.

The shops appear to try really  hard to give a really good service.  Not too long ago  Aliexpress came up with a rating system for each store.  Poor performance and the stats show up.

edit.  You will find that numerous shops will have the same brand of a product but the price can really vary.  You can sort for the cheapest (Guzzi  content :grin:) which I do, and then balance with the shop's rating.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 03:54:42 AM by Muzz »
03 Breva

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 04:52:34 AM »
Have bought a fair bit of stuff off them Joe.  Only one deal went sour (actually, it was a set of the same levers only with "Moto Guzzi" etched on them). Ali express refunded the full amount.

The levers I got are pretty high quality for the price.  In fact, I would call them superb at this stage.  Look and are finished way better  than the original.

Aliexpress is not actually a shop.  It is the ordering centre for a huge number of online stores.  They list the store and then you deal direct with the store.  Any hiccups, if you can't sort it with the store you can take it up with Aliexpress, and they will sort it.

The shops appear to try really  hard to give a really good service.  Not too long ago  Aliexpress came up with a rating system for each store.  Poor performance and the stats show up.

edit.  You will find that numerous shops will have the same brand of a product but the price can really vary.  You can sort for the cheapest (Guzzi  content :grin:) which I do, and then balance with the shop's rating.

Muzz,

Thanks for the information.  So it sounds like Aliexpress is similar to Ebay or Amazon, eh?  I'll give them a look the next time I make an online purchase.

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 08:32:30 PM »
Muzz,

Thanks for the information.  So it sounds like Aliexpress is similar to Ebay or Amazon, eh?  I'll give them a look the next time I make an online purchase.

Joe

Correct.  The search function is a bit "Chinese" in operation.  The levers I found by typing in "Moto Guzzi" and found them in ropes and cables rather than motorcycle fittings. Just think of the number of ways you can cook a sausage. :grin: :grin:
03 Breva

Offline cheshirelad

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2019, 05:10:58 AM »
Hello to all from a still wet Sale. Many thanks to sign216, Muzz, malik et al, for the wise words. I'll try the simple stuff first by lowering it on the splines and then take it from there. Ted R. :thumb:

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2019, 05:12:36 PM »
Hello to all from a still wet Sale. Many thanks to sign216, Muzz, malik et al, for the wise words. I'll try the simple stuff first by lowering it on the splines and then take it from there. Ted R. :thumb:

Ted, just wondering. Do you have any in and out movement in your gearchange?
03 Breva

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2021, 10:34:51 AM »
I have started a new thread on this but wanted to add this here as well for anyone searching.

Some time ago I lamented the excessively short engagement (by my estimation) throw of the Breva 750 clutch. I have just become aware of a possible cure by moving the lever perch out from the handelbar. I have ordered two of them. We'll see if it solves my issue.

https://www.righteousstuntmetal.com/products/rsc-perch-spacer

The RSC perch spacer is an option for those that wish to increase the lever-to-bar distance. The perch spacer moves the lever approximately 7.62mm(.3") further from the bar. This can be useful for riders with long fingers, or someone looking to move the engagement point further from the handlebar, as well as add additional lever/cable throw.
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here