Author Topic: No interest in new MotoGuzzi's  (Read 31183 times)

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
Re: No interest in new MotoGuzzi's
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2015, 01:31:23 PM »
I'm reminded of the Chevrolet salesman telling Peter Egan to buy an American made PU instead of a Honda Ridgeline , of course neglecting the fact that the Chevy is built in Mexico and the Honda is more or less built in America  ;D Lots od HD riders lament the use of Brembo brakes on modern Harleys , one of the mechanics where my nephew works told him that all Brembo brakes are junk , because the ones used on HDs are , or were .

Dusty

My 2013 Ram 2500 was made in Mexico.

If companies want to lower my costs with quality goods made by slave labor, ok. But when the upper management moves jobs overseas to reduce costs and boost their salaries, while still charging as if their costs were the same, well that's just capitalism. And I'll shop around to determine the value I get for my money.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2015, 01:41:53 PM »
My understanding is the reason so many US companies have moved to outside US is because of comparable high US union blue collar wages and the highest national manuf. taxes in the world here in the US.  If you ran a business, what choice would you make?  So who do you blame, the businesses, union bosses, or Fed. govt. taxes? 

As a consumer maybe not in all cases but in most we get lower prices for products, so we win.  Or you can spend your $ whichever way you want.   :)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2015, 01:46:39 PM »
I am not sure why this is a thing.    :-\
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

canuck750

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2015, 01:53:27 PM »
Chinese parts in your new car or bike?, I would be very surprised if there were none in there somewhere.

Consumers with disposable $$$ pressed for more ways to trade their cash for stuff, and bright entrepreneurs like Walmart and Harbour Freight satisfy our need to spend through globalization and cheap overseas labour. I find it ironic that our collective western compulsion for more and more consumer products for ever less cost has led to the dismantling of our western manufacturing base that created the great wealth of the 20th century for Americans and Canadians. Now we have passed the manufacturing genie to Asia and we in turn buy from them and boost their economy while ours shrinks. However no complaining, I like my garage of cheap tools, my closet of cheap clothes and my four televisions :BEER: Perhaps we get what we deserve.

But I do wonder if one day a grandchild of mine will be photographed as a foreign labourer building a railway across China :-\

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2015, 01:53:27 PM »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2015, 01:57:51 PM »
I am not sure why this is a thing.    :-\

Because some here complain about foreign parts being on X nation vehicles and wonder why.  ;)

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2015, 02:28:11 PM »
My understanding is the reason so many US companies have moved to outside US is because of comparable high US union blue collar wages and the highest national manuf. taxes in the world here in the US.  If you ran a business, what choice would you make?  So who do you blame, the businesses, union bosses, or Fed. govt. taxes? 

As a consumer maybe not in all cases but in most we get lower prices for products, so we win.  Or you can spend your $ whichever way you want.   :)

Large corporations rarely pay taxes. And if they do, they post amounts rather than percentages, so it seems like a lot.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2015, 02:50:24 PM »
I'm thinking my anti-lock module (under the tank) is from Chine'r.    I know the fellow who was suppose to tighten it to the frame wasn't.  (see pic)

It was tight, the Guzzi was just trying to reject it ;D
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2015, 03:00:05 PM »
Hey, those feller's that work at the plant are great workers and never miss a beat.  I'm happy to say Guido had his hand on mine at some time or another when I see no grease or loose screws or poor 'lectricity issues.  I think they deserve a raise they're so good.  Those Italian workers are the best.  Cheers  :BEER:

Italian: deserving of soul and human-like in flaw.
Chinese: Crap that makes us feel cheated when it's flawed.  
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 03:06:13 PM by kevdog3019 »
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2015, 03:07:19 PM »
I bought my Norge new in 2011, I thought and still think it was very well priced and a great performer, especially for the money. Would I have been willing to pay an extra $5k for it to have all European parts on it? Hell no. Designed and assembled in Italy, parts from the global parts supply chain. Does a $23k BMW or Ducati have all European parts on it? Dream on. I'm not asking for crappy parts, and I think MG spec'd a lot of high quality parts where it mattered (brakes are terrific, suspension pretty good for OEM, good luggage).  

I could say the same for my recent Volvo: side glass is Swedish, rear window is French, windshield is Chinese. Did I say "oh please Mr. Manufacturer, I have to have all Swedish glass and other parts, is it OK if I pay an extra $10k for my car to get all European parts?" Guess not.
2014 Ducati Multistrada GT
2011 Norge GT 8V "Otto Valvole" (gone after 32k miles)
2001 BMW R1150 GS (gone after 100,000 miles)

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2015, 03:18:03 PM »
I bought my Norge new in 2011, I thought and still think it was very well priced and a great performer, especially for the money. Would I have been willing to pay an extra $5k for it to have all European parts on it? Hell no. Designed and assembled in Italy, parts from the global parts supply chain. Does a $23k BMW or Ducati have all European parts on it? Dream on. I'm not asking for crappy parts, and I think MG spec'd a lot of high quality parts where it mattered (brakes are terrific, suspension pretty good for OEM, good luggage).  

I could say the same for my recent Volvo: side glass is Swedish, rear window is French, windshield is Chinese. Did I say "oh please Mr. Manufacturer, I have to have all Swedish glass and other parts, is it OK if I pay an extra $10k for my car to get all European parts?" Guess not.

You are free to spend your money as you see fit. As am I. I was debating between new and used bike for ne next year. One new manufacturer has been eliminated.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 03:18:43 PM by Goose »

canuguzzi

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2015, 03:22:36 PM »

Right, rocks don't care where the glass came from. ;)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2015, 03:34:43 PM »
I was a fiat mechanic in an independent shop.  I worked a lot on 850s and 128s.  I bought a Guzzi anyway.  If I applied the logic here to the quality of Italian production at the time I'd still be on my sportster.

I think it's humorous that with a solid track record of

brittle, cracking plastic
bubbling paint on engines
blistering and deforming fuel tanks
startus interruptus
Loose fasteners/parts falling off
ungreased bearings
fake chrome peeling
oil leaks
brakes need constant bleeding
Clutches need constant bleeding
hydros eating their top ends
wide-sumps eating their bottom ends
oil breathers sucking out all the oil
powdering coatings on valve covers
front forks breaking
computer/dash failures
analog speedo and tach failures

a guy would bail on the marquee because of a single instance of a regulator failure in an alternator Guzzi spec'd because it alone fit the allotted space.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2015, 03:43:06 PM »
You are free to spend your money as you see fit. As am I. I was debating between new and used bike for ne next year. One new manufacturer has been eliminated.

So, HDGoose will be buying another HD?

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2015, 03:43:55 PM »
Shucks even the old Guzzis had foreign parts. I'm pretty sure the Borrani rims were made in Spain.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2015, 04:01:34 PM »
 . . .  and the Chinese own so much American debt that we're shipping them our inferior quality coal (explains the Chinese air pollution -- US law won't allow the coal to be used here, so we send it to them and make THEM burn it -- and then condemn them for it) from the national strategic reserve just to pay the interest on the loans.  That makes China a major shareholder in the US GNP.  Could we then say that the Chinese own America and we should avoid products made in the USA?

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2015, 04:11:25 PM »
Shucks even the old Guzzis had foreign parts. I'm pretty sure the Borrani rims were made in Spain.

:o

And the Akront rims on the 1000S were made in Spain. The 91 1000S big block rims were known to split down the center of the rim which required a free change out at the dealer.  :o
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

dilligaf

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2015, 04:13:31 PM »
;D

I bet the board of directors always mentions you at their meetings.

Only once.  I told them it was OK, he was a friend of mine.  ::)  :BEER:
Matt

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2015, 04:16:21 PM »
Which parts, and such, are from China?  And on which bikes?

The recent addition of Asian parts to the V7 line has not affected your new Guzzi purchases over the past decade.

As I recall, that number is zero.  So, the addition of Asian parts is a non-starter.

So, basically, this is just a troll thread...    ::)

Exactly, just what is a troll thread anyway? ::) :o ;D :D :o :o ;)  A thread where people just ramble on about nonsensical topics? (LOL) ;D :D 8) ;-T
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2015, 04:44:57 PM »

LOL, yeah, any vehicle made since about 1990 has some chinese parts in it.  It might be just seals or bearings but you won't escape it unless you go way back for a used vehicle.

FWIW, I'd take some of the modern made Chinese parts over some of the US parts made back in the 70's and 80's.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2015, 04:55:02 PM »
Exactly, just what is a troll thread anyway? ::) :o ;D :D :o :o ;)  A thread where people just ramble on about nonsensical topics? (LOL) ;D :D 8) ;-T

It means that he started the thread to complain about Guzzi not making a bike he'd buy when he has no intention of buying a new Guzzi, or any Guzzi made in the past ten years.

It was a disingenuous premise intended to spark debate and conversation.

In other words, a troll thread.

:D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 04:56:29 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2015, 05:08:24 PM »
You forgot the part about the Chinese owning the whole company.  So, really, the Swedish glass is foreign even though the car is built in Sweden.

Didn't forget that part at all. Nor did I forget that my car was actually built in Belgium, nor that it was designed as part of a Ford platform-sharing series with a Ford and Mazda model. I've actually toured the factory in Torslanda, it's pretty cool, automated but not as automated as Tesla or Mercedes is. Cars are designed in Sweden, and, as it's not 1950 any more, parts are globally sourced.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:13:14 PM by nikwax »

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2015, 05:12:14 PM »
LOL, yeah, any vehicle made since about 1990 has some chinese parts in it.  It might be just seals or bearings but you won't escape it unless you go way back for a used vehicle.

FWIW, I'd take some of the modern made Chinese parts over some of the US parts made back in the 70's and 80's.

Come to mention...where were the faulty Delphi ignition switches made? The faulty Takata airbags?

He asks rhetorically.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2015, 05:23:27 PM »
So, HDGoose will be buying another HD?

Goose,

Have you ridden a new California 1400?  Seems like it would be a good fit for a big ol' boy like you.

They're really nice machines.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2015, 05:28:30 PM »
Some of my older Jewish relatives refused to buy anything made in Germany, for obvious reasons, but eventually relented when the US started importing superior cars from Germany.  As understandable as such sentiments are, they are really both impractical and impossible to follow through on in today's international economy.  At what point in the production does the product become "made in America" or any other country?  If we import wood from trees grown in Canada, does that mean that our houses are made in Canada?  If the produce we eat is grown in California but farmed and harvested by Mexican migrant workers, does that mean the produce is Mexican?  I consider the iPhone to be an American product, even though it is made in China.  Why?  Because it is designed and "created" here.  Same for Moto Guzzi bikes, they are Italian because they're designed and "created" in Italy, regardless of where the parts come from, and, in my opinion, even if they were assembled in China, which they are not.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2015, 05:31:13 PM »
Those examples were brought up in other recent topics.  The only response I got was that the commenter had no idea what I was trying to say.  The bottom line is that these harpies of hate ignore or forgive the sins of all industry except Chinese industry, and they go to very convoluted lengths to apply a different yardstick where china is involved.  The conclusion can only be that they're looking to hate the Chinese and reason doesn't matter.  For some it's easier to parrot than to think.

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2015, 05:34:23 PM »
Please all: One new, one old, problem solved.
Principles? Only people without character need principles!
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2015, 05:44:39 PM »

Nope. Borrani rims were Italian-made back in the "good old days". Recently the Borrani name is being stamped into Asian copies and sold as the genuine article.

A V700 or Ambassador was almost entirely Italian made (up until the Bosch generator, regulator and starter were fitted). They did have German tires, IIRC, and English reflectors. 
Charlie

Frulk

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2015, 06:06:21 PM »
It was tight, the Guzzi was just trying to reject it ;D

Man, I don't care WHO you are..That's funny right there!

Offline brenwin

• Easy does it .
  • Gosling
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2015, 09:15:11 PM »
Guzzi's were built by people making decent wages, using parts made in Europe by folks making decent wages. Now they want premium money for non premium stuff. And they still cannot get it right out the door.

Understand now Paul?

Yep , it's all about the bottom line . Forget about fair wages , decent working conditions and morality , it's about profit margins first . Maybe this is just a period of transition before the human condition and quality come first . Sometimes my own naivety astounds me ! China , India and Mexico have been eating our lunch for decades . We bail out big auto and then they open up a new plant in Mexico or out source an alternator for manufacture to China. It's a brave new world boys , get used to it !
2015 Griso 1200SE
2004 V11 Ballabio (red)
1973 Eldorado

the Bailey

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2015, 09:21:52 PM »
Yep, I boycott BP. I'll bring them to their knees just like I did Exxon.

that's f***ing funny.  just like the people who say.  don't buy gas on Tuesday.  if no one does, we can bring the oil companies to their knees.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here