Author Topic: UPDATE-head pipe differences V1100 EV/Jackal tonti -- I know what to do!  (Read 3072 times)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
I have several sets of head pipes from the tonti era.  I thought all the double-walled types were the same, but I find a small difference that is a hang-up on getting them installed.

The set that fits has a thick end where it goes into the head.  This acts as a 'collar'/clamping surface that the flange clamps against.  The set that does not fit looks identical, but the clamping collar is not nearly as thick.  I thought the half-circle keepers (like the half-rings on a valve stem) were supposed to make up the thickness, but after installing them with double gaskets I still can't make it clamp.  It looks like I need another 5mm or so.

Has anyone encountered this?  Is there a fix, or have I just powdercoated some pipes to waste time?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 08:15:12 PM by rodekyll »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: head pipe differences V1100 EV/Jackal tonti -- what to do?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 06:47:36 PM »
could there be 2 different clamps?.. the star type finned and the smooth later ones like you have..got a pic?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 06:50:48 PM »
You could get a short length of the appropriate steel tube size and make your own to fit...

-edit-

I guess that was a bit incoherent.  What I meant was to make a longer set of keepers from the tubing.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 01:12:04 AM by Matt Story »
'75 850T - First & only owner
'77 Honda CB750 Supersport
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 08:34:31 PM »
could there be 2 different clamps?.. the star type finned and the smooth later ones like you have..got a pic?

I was trying finned ones because I like the look.  I'll take a look at my smooth ones and see if that helps.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 08:34:31 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
OK -- after a little tinkering I discovered that stacking two sets of half-ring spacers fills the gap and still leaves enough head stud to properly nut down the clamp.  I have another pair of half spacers on the way, but I'm short one pair.  Does anyone have a spare pair kicking around?

Orange Guzzi

Last night, I was doing a little tinkering in the garage.  I found that there are two types of clamp spacers in my box of stuff.  One was about 1/2 inch and machined s.s. steel.  I think it came off a sport 1100, the others were about 3/4 inch and came off a square fin California, made from stamped carbon steel. 

One thing I noticed is the clamps, both sets would not fit inside the smooth clamp recess when mounted on the pipe.  They would fit inside the clamp when it was not mounted on the pipe.  Also, the recess inside the clamp was not round.  The spacers would fit when place in one location and not fit when move around 90 degrees.  I sanded the flanged area of the clamp spacers so they would fit into the recess at any position. 

What brought this to my attention was the lip on one of the clamp spacers was bent from previously mounting and not falling into the recess. 

You may try adding an extra exhaust gasket if the clamps do not pull up tight. 

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Yes, I am seeing some differences in the spacer forms.  Neither of the two sizes are working for me (with finned clamps).  I had stuffed three crush rings into the exh port and still didn't like the clamping.  It looks like it would take maybe five to give the spacing.  Stacking the spacers seems like the way to go.  If anyone is looking -- it's the stainless machined half-round spacers.

Orange Guzzi

The s.s are to short.  Look in your box of stuff for the right ones.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
I bought the pipes bare without any hardware as low-mile takeoffs.  So there never were compatible spacers.  I'm compounding the problem by using finned clamps instead of the smooth ones that probably fit.  My problem is that I did not anticpate the huge difference in flange thickness.

Part of my desire to use this stuff is that I've powdercoated the finned clamps and head/crossover pipes.  It's an experiment answer whether or not hi-temp powder is up to the job.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here