Author Topic: Handle bars  (Read 5161 times)

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
Handle bars
« on: March 17, 2015, 08:58:41 PM »

I'm not crazy about the handle bars on my 01 EV. They seem like they'ld be real comfortable but on long rides I get a pain in the middle of my back. Maybe I just need to be leaned forward just a bit forward. Maybe bars from a Jackal or possibly an Aprillia Mana would be better. Anyone have an opinion on replacement bars that would fit well on an EV?

oldbike54

Re: Handle bars
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 09:13:37 PM »
 I like Jackal bars .

Dusty

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 09:20:41 PM »
I had a similar issue.  I tried other bars...Jackel etc but nothing "fit" me like I wanted.  Liking the bars on my Ambo I purchased another set from MG Cycle for little dollars and widened them using a bolt with the head cut off and welded to the correct width.  A hole needed to be drilled in the bar to secure the "nub" on the controls.  I love it!  A Rich Maund redo on my seat moved me back a little to help me "lean in" and keep my back straighter.

Weld is hidden under the triple tree cover.

Profile photo showing the neutral wrist angle
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 09:22:21 PM by John Ulrich »
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 09:27:37 PM »
Nice adapatation of the ambo bars.

Back when my neck was bad I cut a little off the ends of my bars and rebent them using long pipe cheaters until I had a geometry I like.  It took an afternoon, but the bars fit me now.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 09:27:37 PM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 10:13:46 PM »
but on long rides I get a pain in the middle of my back.

I get that occasionally too. But I just tell her to shut up and hang on.

:wife:
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Carlo DeSantis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 10:31:23 PM »
   I'm not crazy about the handle bars on my 01 EV. They seem like they'ld be real comfortable but on long rides I get a pain in the middle of my back. Maybe I just need to be leaned forward just a bit forward. Maybe bars from a Jackal or possibly an Aprillia Mana would be better. Anyone have an opinion on replacement bars that would fit well on an EV?

Had the same experience with my 01 EV.  I put on a T3 bar and never looked back.  It took a few tries to get them adjusted optimally for me, but once done they had me leaned forward just enough to take the strain off my back.

Good luck!

Carlo
Chuck in Illinois
Crystal Lake, IL USA

'75 850 T3 Custom
'11 R1200R

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 10:35:07 PM »
Jackal bars are the ticket..

first thing I did to both Bassa's I had..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 10:51:40 PM »
Am having the same problem with my hydro Stones; too much pull-back and my back gets sore after an hour.  I am waiting for delivery of an EMGO Flat Track bar which has half the pull-back of the OEM Stone bars (5" vs 10") and hope my $40 will be well spent.  BTW, I know the Stone bars are 30mm and the new EMGO bars are 7/8", but I have a spare Jackal handlebar clamp set.  The EMGO bars are wide ones, 35" vs.32" for the OEM bars, and I'm going to see if the cables will reach a bit farther (with less pullback there should be some slack) so I can have the increased leverage desired by spindly old guys struggling to manage heavy bikes.  Both Stones have been fitted with moderately rear-set footrests and controls.

Foto: Your first pic of the bike heading down a country road in the fall is a wonderful presentation of the joy of motorcycle riding.  Breathtaking!!

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 10:59:57 PM »
 Ralph , Jackal bars are a close approximation of flat track bars , really the most comfortable bar for me . I always wondered how buck horn bars became so common OEM equipment , as the odd angle it places the riders hands and wrists is very unnatural .

Dusty

teleskierjay

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 12:05:33 PM »
Emgo Classics.  Love mine.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/36818/i/emgo-classic-handlebars?SiteID=SLI|Emgo%20Handlebars&WT.MC_ID=10010

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 01:01:05 PM »
I have a handlebar off an old 650 Yamaha (71 model, I think) that I have used forever on my 96 Cali.  Its a flat track type bend, I imagine that it's similar to the Jackal bar. It's a natural fit for me, leaning me ever so slightly forward.

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 08:54:15 PM »
   Thanks for all the replies. I ordered a set of Emgos. I liked the look of Jackal bars but the Emgos looked real similar and probably half the price of Jackal bars.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 11:26:35 PM »
Emgo Classics.  Love mine.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/36818/i/emgo-classic-handlebars?SiteID=SLI|Emgo%20Handlebars&WT.MC_ID=10010

Looking at the specs for the Classics, they are very narrow at 29.5" and have 10" of pullback, same as the OEM Stones' bars.  Handlebars are obviously a very personal preference matter.  I'm happy that you are pleased with them.  I hope to be equally pleased with the flat track bars.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 12:08:40 AM »
I swapped the handlebars between my Bassa and Jackal, which has a sidecar rigged. Big improvement for both. The wide Bassa bars work well on the hack.

Rich A

Offline dan_s

• Gosling
    • http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=128
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 05:22:55 AM »
Ducati monster handlebar is low enough to make highway speeds comfortable, with a lean forward although it may be too wide. I did shortened it about an inch each side. See in the photo.  The tubes come in 22.2mm width and also as fatbars.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here