Author Topic: More Cancer, acid reflux  (Read 10113 times)

Rough Edge racing

More Cancer, acid reflux
« on: September 11, 2019, 04:00:37 PM »
 I was recently  diagnosed with stage 2 to 3 Esophageal cancer.. The docs say it's directly related to years of acid reflux...I thought I had it under control for the last 15 years, well not so much...If you have a history of acid reflux get it cheked out by an endoscope procedure...
   This cancer is nasty and quite lethal.. I am 72 and have no other health problems , the docs tell me I got about 65% chance for 5 years...But the University of Rochester NY Medical center where I'm being treated has a new treatment that's very promising. They talk of a possible cure...I start chemo tomorrow, a drug pump in a fanny pack I wear for several days ..then a nurse comes to my house and takes it off...I repeat this three times over 6 weeks..Then a few week pause ,a scan, then 5 weeks ,5 days a week radiation and chemo once a week...Then  another pause , more scans, then is all is good, surgery to remove the fried esophaugus, reconnect and a feeding tube for a few weeks while I heal.....Then supposedly back to somewhat normal.....
  I'm not worried so much about dying but I hate all the medical procedures......My wife has got my back and just pushes me.....
  Just want to say the doctors, nurses, and staff at the U of R Medial have been outstanding.
  Thanks for listening, Tony

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
Re: More Cancer, acid reflux
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 04:19:10 PM »
Best wishes Tony. Sounds like you are in good hands. Thank you for passing along the message.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 04:19:30 PM »
Pulling for you!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 04:47:26 PM »
I just finished five weeks of daily radiation, with six more months of hormone therapy.  I kept thinking, “one day at a time.”  Hang in there, Tony. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 04:47:26 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 04:57:09 PM »
 Good doctors are always a good choice . Hang in Tony , we are in fact pulling for you .

Dusty

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 05:00:29 PM »
Good luck, Tony! 
He lost the run of himself.

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 05:08:43 PM »
Best of luck, kick it's butt out of you.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 05:10:12 PM »
Tony,
For me, the radiation wasn't a picnic. I wish you well.

Tex

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 07:17:54 PM »
Wow prayers and best wishes to you also.
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 07:28:04 PM »
One of my worst fears...I’ve been diagnosed with Barrett’s esophagus, a premalignant condition also related to reflux...now on an every two year endoscopic monitoring though the Mayo....prompted my abstinence also from cigars and hard liquor, both of which exacerbate my symptoms.

Would encourage anyone with reflux symptoms to have EGD and biopsy performed proactively.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 07:53:13 PM »
Best of luck.  My thoughts are with you.
Severus bastardis

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 08:18:12 PM »
I hate all that medical crap as well but ya got to give yourself the benefit. Hope it turns out well,
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 10:01:36 PM »
Best of luck to you. If the fanny pack is fluorouricil (5-F-U), then be really cautious about going out into the sun.  You'll have a tendency to syncopy (pass out). 
Also, you won't be the same after treatment, but I hope you will be upright and in good shape.  Treatment won't be fun and there will be damage.  Our most modern methods of healthcare are not sophisticated enough to target only cancerous tissues.  I'm not trying to be a downer- and I hope you are fine.
Your wife is your strongest advocate- listen to her!  And again- good luck!
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2019, 12:03:28 AM »
You have a plan. You have a team. Execute the plan and you are good to go. Pulling for you.

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 04:53:59 AM »
I hope it works out well for you Tony.

John Henry

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2019, 05:25:39 AM »
One of my worst fears...I’ve been diagnosed with Barrett’s esophagus, a premalignant condition also related to reflux...now on an every two year endoscopic monitoring though the Mayo....prompted my abstinence also from cigars and hard liquor, both of which exacerbate my symptoms.

Would encourage anyone with reflux symptoms to have EGD and biopsy performed proactively.

Good advice...Yes, Tobacco, alcohol and obesity are factors. It's a somewhat rare cancer in the USA...... Endoscope procedure is not unpleasant......I'm thin, gave up tobacco years ago and drink about three beers a month. :huh:.
  The tests were interesting, inject a radioactive sugar solution into my veins, drink a radioactive mixture and spend 25 minutes getting CT and PET scans from my head to my knees... My body is clean except for the esophagus  area around the tumor and slightly into a few surrounding lympth nodes. The doctors said that from their experience this is very treatable..Their optomisitic attitude is both enlightning and scary, like they are just telling me that...The oncology doctors are very personal, we sit close, talk for 1/2 hour and never break eye contact..I mentioned that  my insurance, AARP United Health Medicare has a limit on the number of PET scans...The doctor said no insurance company will limit his care for a patient, we will work it out....But I do have fairly decent coverage and can afford to pay the out of pocket costs.
  Thanks for listening, thanks for the good thoughts, I have said more than enough...

Offline TommyR

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2019, 06:35:24 AM »
I get a lot of acid reflux. I`m a pretty healthy eater but it seems many things give me bloated indigestion, reflux, burping. My doctor is a holistic guy who will not write pharma prescriptions. He told me to go start using a digestive enzyme called Metagest from a company called Spectrazyme Metagenics. You can get it on Amazon. I take 2 to 3 of these enzyme tablets after any main meal and hey presto, I digest very well, I no longer get reflux and I feel really good. This doctor told me the real reason I get so much bloating and reflux is that the little pumps in my stomach which make digestive acid are weak, plus I`m probably eating foods to which I react. He also said that the very worst thing one can take is a stomach acid inhibitor called a PPI [Tagamet is an example, so is Prilosec]. These kill off your stomachs ability to digest certain essential minerals and vitamins, and they will eventually make your esophagus issues much worse. If anyone is suffering poor digestion and reflux, I`d do two things. 1. Try out the Metagest enzyme [they are benign and you have nothing to lose]. 2. Get a good quality food allergy panel test done and eliminate anything to which you are reactive.  Good luck....!!

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2019, 07:07:30 AM »
Thoughts and prayers are with you Tony.

bobrebos

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2019, 07:12:14 AM »
Tony:  My brothers been clear of cancer (Esophageal) for 6 years now.  Im hoping the best outcome possible for you.  Best wishes to you!!   

Offline Duc-Duc-Goose

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2019, 08:45:00 AM »
Good luck, Tony :thumb:. It’s a hard road, but doable. I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the throat in 1997. They said I had about a 30% chance of survival to two years (a very aggressive type). I had 39 radiation treatments (7000 rads). No chemo, as the docs said for my situation it probably wouldn’t improve efficacy/outcome, and wouldn’t be worth the discomfort/side effects. Also, had radical neck dissection two days after the radiation regimen. I thought I might not survive the treatments (radiation is rough and leaves permanent side effects), but like you, I had/have a good support system. Bottom line, I did make it, albeit with some “issues” that I’ll live with til I die. But, 22 yrs later I’m here to tell you - you CAN do this! I still ride my bikes, take long trips, play guitar in two bands and hang with my grand kids :grin:. Day at a time, and keep the weight on best you can. Godspeed.

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2019, 10:48:49 AM »
Best wishes and hope all works out for you!!

Offline mjhinno

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2019, 12:12:41 PM »
Hey Tony-new guy here.
Reading your post keeps a lot of other stuff in perspective-I've been whining like crazy deciding what I'll buy. Kinda foolish.
However--------
I've dealt with my own cancer issues for several years-won't burden you with the details. What I CAN pass onto you is the following:
1. Do as much research as you can but it's crucial to remember: The majority of people writing/commenting/advising (here or on medical forums) are doing so because they've had difficulties. The happy and successful ones are off enjoying motorcycles or living, not pounding on keyboards. Don't let the high % of nightmare scenarios scare you cuase theres no balance
2. Do your research, talk to everyone who has input that you value, decide who, where and what, and then rip off your rear view mirror. Don't look back, don't second guess, and don't spend a second worrying about anything that you can't change. You'be a lot happier and less stressed.
Good luck new friend

Offline Gian4

• Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2019, 12:20:30 PM »
Good luck Tony.  We're all pulling for you. :thumb:

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2019, 06:25:40 PM »
🙏🙏🙏👍

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2019, 08:54:16 PM »
You have a plan. You have a team. Execute the plan and you are good to go. Pulling for you.

Well said.  All the best Tony.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2019, 05:00:55 AM »
Hoping for the best, Tony.  And thank you for the head's up and warning to the rest of us, acid reflux seems all too common these days.

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2019, 08:33:25 AM »
Hoping for the best, Tony.  And thank you for the head's up and warning to the rest of us, acid reflux seems all too common these days.

Sarah
  Yes..

Yesterday was the first chemo treatment...I volunteered for a trial program using a drug normally  for lower intenstine tumors as a "shock" to the esophagus tumor before the usual chemo and radiation. U of R  Medical is not afraid to use different drug combos that they feel will work..A few side effects but nothing bad as of yet....I also have the prescribed anti nausea pills...I have on the carry around chemo pump for two days...One side effect is insomnia and I got that...The side effects may worsen in a few days..Then another two weeks before more of this..
  It was a long day and the 45 minute ride back to the sticks through city traffic is no fun...I got some quality home grown marijuana from a friend to help with the side effects, NY is a medical weed state but it's a pain to get it...We were exhausted...I found and old hippy pipe, cleaned it and slowly smoked some...I gave me an appetite and a bit of a high...We relaxed and watched old Stargate Atlantis shows with the ROKU...

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2019, 09:04:09 AM »
Rough, if you have to deal with this at least you are being treated by the best found anywhere. These guys go to talks every week to learn about the latest treatments plus many are working on coming up with new therapies themselves. I worked in that building for 30 years. Some pretty impressive folks there. Wishing you the best buddy.

Pete

Offline MotoChuck250

• Hatchling
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2019, 09:58:47 PM »
Rough,
In December of 2015 I was where you are now.  I spent about 6 weeks going through Chemo, and Radiation and then waited to May when they did an Esophajectomy on me.  I was 61 at the time.

It took me a while to get back to normal and I still don't have the stamina that I used to.  I have been cancer free for more than three years now.  The disease is survivable.

The advise I would give is to get all the exercise you can during treatment, including before and after surgery, and have your support group in place.

My oncologist said that my commitment to exercise during the ordeal, significantly helped my recovery.  My church and some good friends also helped quite a bit.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:59:44 PM by MotoChuck250 »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2019, 10:09:19 PM »
To be honest. I didn't want to reply to this for a while. It's a me thing...

I...uh... Want to wish you best.

I'll leave it at that for now.

Hang in there.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 06:27:02 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here