Author Topic: 2017 Stelvio - Gas Tank Cracking due to Ethanol in our fuel!!  (Read 1335 times)

Offline TommyR

• New Egg
Hello fellow Stelvio owners. Over the last few weeks several bulging cracks started to appear in the outer skin of my gas tank. I just did a quick Google search to find to my utter horror that it's a common problem with these blow molded painted tanks, apparently the plastic reacts to the ethanol in our fuel. Seems like Ducati has the same issue. More concerning is some rumor that plastic particles loosen off inside the tank and can get lodged into the fuel injection system. So, on top of a myriad of electrical issues, my tank is now on it's way out.  Has anyone had this gas tank problem before....and what did you do about it?

With thanks - Tom
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 09:12:52 AM by TommyR »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 2017 Stelvio - Gas Tank Cracking!! Any Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 07:45:50 AM »
Don't use Ethanol, its as simple as that, its ok to use when you can't find anything else but at the end of a trip you should be on Ethanol free gas.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline TommyR

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 08:40:35 AM »
Thanks Kiwi_Roy, all good but pretty much every pump in the USA has 10% to 20% Ethanol, and when i`m riding an 8 day tour i`m probably not going to hunt around for ethanol free gas every time i have to fill up. The damage is done though, had my dealer told ne to avoid ethanol from the start, or had the Stelvio owners manual stated to avoid it, i`d not have the problem (i`d probably have skipped buying the bike).

Offline TommyR

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 09:12:09 AM »
A quick Google search reveals no less than 23 gas stations across the entirety of California sell Ethanol free gas. Tough to avoid the stuff.....

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 09:12:09 AM »

Offline TommyR

• New Egg
Re: 2017 Stelvio - Gas Tank Cracking due to Ethanol in our fuel!!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 09:17:53 AM »
If any other Stelvio owners 2011-2017 have this issue, then i`d suggest we mount a class action lawsuit against MG USA. I work in the Automotive Engineering Industry and anything to do with Gas or Vapor escaping from a cracked fuel storage system is 1. Regulated under Federal and State Environment protection & Emissions laws 2. Is deemed safety critical because in the event of an accident, it's more likely a fire can break out.

Come back to me if interested to discuss further. Cheers - Tom.

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 09:33:32 AM »
Interesting.Until a trip to NC this summer I always used premium, usually alcohol free and have had no problems in 63000 miles.I just started using regular to save money when a friend recommended it,and I can’t tell any difference in performance.It sounds like the solution is to burn premium on local trips and regular if you are going to burn it quickly and store it with premium alcohol free.Does that make sense?As for a lawsuit,how much is a replacement tank and labor to replace the old one?There would have to be huge numbers of plaintiffs for any lawyer to take the case.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 02:17:47 PM »
There's really nothing practical that can be done about it (other than selling the bike I suppose).  If you tour on the bike, you're going to be stuck with Ethanol gas more often than not.  I have the "Pure Gas" app. on my phone and it's still a royal PITA and completely ridiculous to plan a ride around what gas stations sell non-ethanol gas.  The only "permanent" solution (and I put that in quotes for a very good reason, maybe permanent, maybe not) is to coat the inside of a new tank (or a used one in excellent condition) with Caswell epoxy coating.  A lot of Ducati owners have done this, including myself, with good results so far.  It seals  the inside of the tank from the effects of the ethanol, but doing it yourself is no small task.  The coating must cover every inside centimeter of the tank to be successful.  On a large tank like on the Stelvio, that's a tall order, but not impossible. 

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 02:19:03 PM »
E-10 fuel has been around for along time now. I wonder how long manufactures will claim that is the culprit of all these ills. Early on I agree it might have been an issue but 3 decades later I cannot believe manufacturers have not solved for it yet. If they haven't then the blame is on them for making an inferior product that is not compatible with commonly avalaible fuel.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Bisbee

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 07:25:06 PM »
Maverick stations in Arizona have ethanol free. Octane is lower than 91, though. I’ll give it a try. No issues with my 2017 yet. I wonder if repeated parking in the hot sun might be an issue. My Stelvio will vent from the tank for quite awhile after parking inside. If that vent were to clog , the tank would definitely develop bulges.
94 R100R Mystic , 92 K75S, 98 EV, 17 Stelvio NTX

Online mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 08:43:15 PM »
When did MG introduce the plastic tank back into the market? I thought they were all steel after the 2011 model year?

Is the chrome plated tank on my 2014 V7 racer also plastic as it feels like metal to me?

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 08:55:09 AM »
When did MG introduce the plastic tank back into the market? I thought they were all steel after the 2011 model year?

Is the chrome plated tank on my 2014 V7 racer also plastic as it feels like metal to me?

The V7 is not the same bike as a Stelvio.

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2021, 09:17:09 AM »
"Over the last few weeks several bulging cracks started to appear in the outer skin of my gas tank."

Can you post a photo?
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Iron Cross Junction

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 10:01:39 AM »
"Over the last few weeks several bulging cracks started to appear in the outer skin of my gas tank."

Can you post a photo?

:thumb:

:gotpics:

Tom, as you have seen from the posts, above, many of us feel your pain.

I have not, however, seen the "bulging cracks" you describe.

My own experiences with this have been limited to (1) the tanks porking up to the point that I cannot reseat the rear bolt that fixes the tank to the frame, and (2) getting "acne" with pimples appearing in various places all over the surface.

My "solution" is to have two tanks (!) for the Norge and Griso.  I bought those along the way when opportunities arose.

I swap those out from time to time -- think winter when I can't ride and the Moto Grappa is a handy refuge from  :thewife:.    :wink:

The one coming off gets rinsed well and dries for the next season.  When I do that, the tanks "shrink" to original size and the pimples recede. 

This is, of course, yet another YMMV situation.

Best wishes,

Bill
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 10:02:14 AM by Iron Cross Junction »
Bill Hagan

Proud Member of Moto Guzzi's Envy-of-the-Industry Post-Sale R&D Program!

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2004 V11 Ballabio, Sold; sigh
2007 Norge [NORJ], Sold; sigh
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2021, 10:15:41 AM »
Same issue with the Griso.  Luckily there is ethanol free right down the road from my storage unit, so I just have to plan to arrive empty. I cut it a little close this last time!

My tank had one crack and several pimples when I got it.  By not allowing ethanol to sit in there the pimples have disappeared and I can barely see the crack.  Still run the ethanol on the road, however.

Oh, and the Griso gets better mpg on 87 regular...
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2021, 12:07:19 PM »
:thumb:

:gotpics:

Tom, as you have seen from the posts, above, many of us feel your pain.

I have not, however, seen the "bulging cracks" you describe.

My own experiences with this have been limited to (1) the tanks porking up to the point that I cannot reseat the rear bolt that fixes the tank to the frame, and (2) getting "acne" with pimples appearing in various places all over the surface.

My "solution" is to have two tanks (!) for the Norge and Griso.  I bought those along the way when opportunities arose.

I swap those out from time to time -- think winter when I can't ride and the Moto Grappa is a handy refuge from  :thewife:.    :wink:

The one coming off gets rinsed well and dries for the next season.  When I do that, the tanks "shrink" to original size and the pimples recede. 

This is, of course, yet another YMMV situation.

Best wishes,

Bill

I have an extra tank for the 07 Norge which is brand new but my original tank is just swollen to the point of not being able to install the rear bolt and it's been that way for about 5 years or maybe longer. I haven't seen any distortions, cracks, pimples, etc., in fact to the naked eye it looks as new.  Maybe I'll drain the tank someday and let it sit for a month or so and see what happens and if it goes back to it's original size or a size that will enable me to mount the bolt then I'll try the tank rotation.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here