Author Topic: '73 Eldorado, top-end rebuilt, starter circuit doesn't work. ?????  (Read 2203 times)

Offline SmokyBC

• New Egg
New to me Eldorado. Was in good storage. Trailered it home.

Installed Palardoni cylinders and Pistons, rebuilt carbs, new high-tension wires.

New battery, all lights and horn work. But no neutral light, and starter doesn't engage when button pushed. I have the plugs out, not trying to start it, just turn it over and see that starter circuit is working.

Can spin the motor by shorting the relay. All fuses are fine, wiring looks good, relay was removed and is clean and functioning.

Could it be related to no neutral light?

Electrickery is magic to me, any suggestions?

Many thanks....
Don Schmok
Salmon Arm BC

'73 Eldorado with Velorex sidecar
BMW K1600 GTL
'93 BMW GS/PD

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
Re: '73 Eldorado, top-end rebuilt, starter circuit doesn't work. ?????
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 06:28:28 PM »
Yes, the neutral light must be on to function the starter relay.  You can temporarily bypass by removing the wire from the neutral switch and connecting it direct to metal ground.  The light will remain on constantly.  Careful, the starter will now work in neutral or in gear!  Next you have to solve why the neutral light is not functioning correctly.  Is it just the bulb?  Is it a faulty relay?  Is it the safety switch on the side of the transmission?

I also suggest you join the discussion forum for Loopframe_Guzzi at Yahoo Groups.
I also suggest you study the wealth of information at http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe.html

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline SmokyBC

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 06:45:56 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Is the neutral switch, the same as the safety switch, on the gearbox, above the starter?

I'll pull that switch/sensor, and clean everything up.

Once you go to thisoldtractor, somehow hours go by.

Will investigate the other forum.

Regards,
Don Schmok
Salmon Arm BC

BMW K1600 GTL
'93 BMW GS/PD

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 06:52:08 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Is the neutral switch, the same as the safety switch, on the gearbox, above the starter?

I'll pull that switch/sensor, and clean everything up.

Once you go to thisoldtractor, somehow hours go by.

Will investigate the other forum.

Regards,

That's not a "safety switch", actually it's the neutral switch. Not much to clean up - it's just a flat brass blade that contacts a bump on the shift drum. Before you disassemble anything, check for continuity between the stud of the switch and ground when in neutral. Make sure it's really in neutral, unless it's been modified the shift pattern is "backwards" (one up, four down).

I always move the black (starter relay ground) wire from the stud of the neutral switch, to one of the bolts that secures the neutral switch to the transmission. That way it'll start when in gear and you won't get run over while trying to find neutral if you happen to stall the bike at a traffic light.  ;) Leave the green wire on the stud of the switch in order for the neutral light to work.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 06:56:56 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 06:52:08 PM »

Offline SmokyBC

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 11:19:54 PM »
OK,

It was the neutral switch, I pulled the black wire, ground it to the switch bracket, and away she went.

Tomorrow I mount the tank, and see how good a job I did on those carburetors.

Hot ziggity this is fun,

Thanks for the help.
Don Schmok
Salmon Arm BC

BMW K1600 GTL
'93 BMW GS/PD

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here