Author Topic: Sachse ZDG3 Electronic Ignition?  (Read 4546 times)

Dobermann

Sachse ZDG3 Electronic Ignition?
« on: May 27, 2015, 06:27:59 AM »
Hello,

I am considering of buying Sachse ZDG3 for my LM2 since it is mounted on the crank allowing the use of points just in case. A friend of mine has Sachse ignition on his BMW airhead and it hasn't had any problems what so ever.
The only thing that bothers me is that this is a wasted spark ignition. I've heard that Guzzis tend to catch fire due to the wasted spark igniting the air filter. Yes, it is a wasted spark but the spark triggers at 360° from ignition not when the other cylinder needs a spark. What do you think? For sure it'll catch fire if bike is dropped laying on it's side so maybe a tilt ignition cut off switch is a must in that case.
My engine is not stock - it has K&N filters, Dyna coils, ported and polished heads, hot cam, 88mm cylinders, Lightened flywheel and starter gear, LaFranconi Riservato exhaust, etc...
Here is what Sachse says about the product:

Ignition System Sachse ZDG3 for Bosch Generator mounting. Replaces contact points or a Motoplat system.
The computer has 9 different program settings, to meet the demands of normal and twin spark setups. A rev limit is programmable to either 7900 Rpm or 8700 Rpm, depending on model and use.
Users of electronic rev-counters can choose between cam pulse (one pulse every two crank revolutions) and crank pulse (one pulse ecrank revolution).
Works fine with coils that have primary resistance of 2 Ohms and more.
Timing advance is set by a switch, wire connections to the box can easily be disconnected due to the removable clamp device.
A current cut-off circuit, to protect the coils when engine is not running, is of course included.
For all that are wondering, why the Bosch Generator version does not use magnetic pickups like the Ducati and Saprisa versions. The answer is quite simple. The Bosch generator causes strong magnetic stray fields, which could interfere with pickups of magnetic type. The optical sensors used here are far more reliable in this application.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 08:38:30 AM by Dobermann »

Offline flangeman_70

• Gosling
Re: Sachse ZDG3 Electronic Ignition?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 08:26:50 AM »
Hi,

I have it on my SPIII which has used both paper and K&N elements in the standard airbox. I am very satisfied with it, quality product that delivers as advertised The wasted spark isn't a problem and the fire thing, I've read many a post on this board and that is the first I've heard anything like that. I also have bobbin style coils which are 2 ohms. I have checked the ignition twice in 2 years, there was no need to adjust it  ;D

Adam
You only went to school to learn how to learn

Adam

SP III 1990
V10 Centauro 1996

Offline Kai

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 11:22:30 AM »
Hi,

I have never heard anything like a "fire catching" issue, and we have a lot of these ignitions here. I have the them in both of my Guzzis, the 1000 S runs well with the previous model
ZDG 2 since ~ 10 years and 80.000 km, the LM 4 racer has the ZDG 3 which works since 4 years without any problems. Just mount and adjust it as described, choose a suitable curve for your bike, check the timing once and thats it. If you don't know how old your plug connectors are, buy new black NGK connectors with 5 kOhm as recommmended.

Kai     

Spending my free time mostly with these Guzzis

Offline Cliff

• Hatchling
    • www.MyECU.biz
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 03:41:57 PM »
All the Guzzis with a Digiplex ignition are running wasted spark.
Cliff
MyECU is approximately Standard ECU + PC  + spark timing + diagnostic tool + closed loop option.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 03:41:57 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here