Author Topic: Professional clear coat for gas tank  (Read 2192 times)

Offline toolittletime

• Gosling
    • mysportgear.com
Professional clear coat for gas tank
« on: August 10, 2017, 11:16:57 AM »
I recently rebuilt a 74 Eldo and just couldn't bear to spend the 500.00 $$$ that the paint shop wanted to do the tank.
After rattle can painting and sanding, applying decals, and then an over the counter clear coat, it still didn't look quite right. Bear in mind  I'm not looking for a show bike, but just a good looking, good running example of the Eldo.

I ran across this stuff online: It has apparently been on the market for a while, but is new to me.

[urlhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Spray-Max-2K-Spray-High-Gloss-CLEAR-COAT-3680061-FREE-SHIPPING/132221409336?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649][/url]

It is a 2 part spray,in one can,  that gives professional results. After wet sanding the previous over the counter clear coat with 2000 grit, and thorough wiping down, I sprayed 2 coats of the Spray Max about 15 minutes apart, and repeated with 2 coats the following day. Waited a few days and then mounted the tank.
This spray is very easy to apply and is thick enough and dries so fast that I did not have any runs anywhere.......very easy to use. Took 2 cans to apply 4 coats to the tank and side covers. I will probably remove the tool boxes and do them too some time in the future.
I would highly recommend this product to anyone doing their own painting and wanting a professional looking result
And yes......it appears to be gasoline proof.............. ......ask me how I know.

Tim

I have about 75.00 invested in 2 cans of the spray max......rustoleum red paint....and painting supplies
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 11:21:46 AM by toolittletime »
X-MSF Instructor
MGNOC 22710
12 Norge
2002 Cali EV
74 Eldorado

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Professional clear coat for gas tank
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 11:59:12 AM »
Nice Job
I wondered about the extra white lines on the tank but then I realized it's some sort of reflection.
Did you do the pin striping yourself, is it paint or a stick on product?

I love my Eldo, warts and all
Thanks for the recommendation.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:03:58 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline toolittletime

• Gosling
    • mysportgear.com
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 12:22:59 PM »
Thanks...
It's a stick on pin striping....easy to use and easy to make curves with.  Apply it and then clear coat over it. I decide to paint the entire tank, since the chrome was badly worn and hideous.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vinyl-Pinstriping-Tape-12-OSHA-COLORS-AVAILABLE-1-4-INCH-6mm-x-108-Ft-5MIL/252964068160?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=551995505284&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Tim
X-MSF Instructor
MGNOC 22710
12 Norge
2002 Cali EV
74 Eldorado

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 12:28:06 PM »
Looks great in the photo.  Nice deep red.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 12:28:06 PM »

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 01:33:15 PM »
That looks nice!
And a red Eldo is the fastest kind!
 :copcar:
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 01:42:42 PM »
 :thumb:I've used that clear coat before and it's very good. Mix the two parts by activating the button on the bottom of the can. I got a very professional results. Wear a mask, it really puts out a heavy spray. Label says that it must be used within 48 hrs. after activation. 
Kirk

Offline Rusnak_322

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 02:32:05 PM »
that is the only way to go. Normal rattle can paint wont hold up to fuel, even a drip will leave a mark. The spray can paint and clear evaporates the solvents away when they dry, the 2 part has a chemical reaction that will not be effected by normal solvents a tank may see.

I just redid a bike for my wife, used automotive paint for the tank, but rattle can high temp paint for the motor. When I first put fuel into it after a full rebuild, one of the carbs leaked gas onto the motor and I had to repaint the sprocket cover.
1975 Moto Guzzi 850T - café racer in progress
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 05:36:24 PM »
Nice job!

One of the key was to pick the gasosline approved coating.

Now once you get that clear coating done, I would advice you also get scratch resistant coating such as ceramic coating done to help further protect from gear/tank bag scuffing.
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 07:09:28 PM »
That Spray-Max is German made stuff that works really well. It`s just like a professional paint job with a base coat and then that clear. I believe the clear is to be used in about 24hrs once you mix the 2 parts. I actually think it's a little easier to use if you let it sit a few hours after mixing. As was mentioned any paint without a 2 part clear coat will be ruined the first time you spill gas on it.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 07:23:14 PM »
I've used several cans on a couple different motorcycles, and it is the real thing.  2-part acrylic urethane, gasoline resistant, can be put on glossy without the need to wet sand and polish,etc..  Also, you can keep a partial can in the refrigerator several times longer than the official pot life, after you push the button to mix the hardener.  It's a really nice spray nozzle, too.  It puts out a fan pattern, and you can rotate it to any angle you need for the part you're spraying.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 07:25:12 PM »
As was mentioned any paint without a 2 part clear coat will be ruined the first time you spill gas on it.

Many, but not all.  A good urethane or acrylic urethane is fuel resistant.  The Imron I put on my H2 38 years ago has had gasoline, lacquer thinner, and brake fluid spilled on it, and none of those have caused a problem.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 08:12:57 PM »
A good urethane will not like you say. Is the final finish very good? Would it be something you would use on a pristine Eldorado restoration tank? I am not familiar with how they lay.  Almost all basic spray paint finishes will suffer at even the slightest hint of a gasoline type fume. Here`s some 2 parts that would work great on engine cases and such without using a clear. But they are not meant for a fine finish. For that the base coat 2 part clear is your best bet and is how professional paint applications are done.

Nice to know about extending the life of the 2 part in the fridge.

Offline Motomoto

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 01:08:39 AM »
I've also had excellent results on tanks with the SprayMax 2K epoxy primer, light sanding, flat base coat, then several coats of the SprayMax Glamour High Gloss 2K clear. I then leave it alone for at least a week to really harden up, then wet sand with 2500, then 3000, then finish up with the 3M 3-stage rubbing/polishing compound routine.  Watch (and follow) the 3M youtube vids on their clear-coat sanding/polishing products.

Although a rattle can - it's nasty catalyzed stuff and you must wear a respirator with fresh 3M 6001 organic vapor filter cartridges. You don't want it in your eyes or on skin either. 

Be patient. Don't put the tank into service for a couple weeks. It takes a while for the clear to fully cure - but then it's really hard and fuel resistant.

http://usa.spraymax.com/index.php?id=851

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here