Author Topic: Arthritis, Cluch Hand  (Read 5868 times)

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
Arthritis, Cluch Hand
« on: June 07, 2019, 04:01:55 PM »
Any good treatments for arthritis?

There's is so much hokum on the internet, not sure what to believe.

I'm 56, and for the first time I'm getting pain in my weak (left) hand.  Doesn't bother the clutch (yet) but it makes it tiring to wear my gloves, screw in bolts, and other simple tasks.

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

oldbike54

Re: Arthritis, Cluch Hand
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 04:05:28 PM »
 The *oil*

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 04:06:47 PM »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online frozengoose

• To eaches his onus...
  • Gosling
    • smiles from nowhere
  • Location: Just a little ways past Fairbanks, Alaska on the locally world famous Chena Hot Springs Road
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 04:30:49 PM »
Any good treatments for arthritis?

There's is so much hokum on the internet, not sure what to believe.

I'm 56, and for the first time I'm getting pain in my weak (left) hand.  Doesn't bother the clutch (yet) but it makes it tiring to wear my gloves, screw in bolts, and other simple tasks.

Hey Joe, I've been using elastic/neoprene support stuff for years and it really helps. You can get fingerless gloves, wrist, and elbow supports at the medical section of your local Box store. I've used them all at various times and they're cheap and seem to help me a lot. Also taking Ibuprofen and Acetomyophin in combination (half dosage of each) really helps. My neighbor takes the hemp oil derivative and swears by it, but I've never tried it and it's not legal everywhere. So don't use it if you go to Disneyland. Getting' old's not for sissies!
Big Jon

Two old Guzzi's (V65 & T), 250E CZ, and 6 happy huskies.

Well, I've got a baby, she's a bad motorcycle
Brrooom-pa-pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa-paw
When we ride together, all through the night
She's got a real wild machine and it's out of sight
She goes brrooom-pa-pa-pa, paw-paw, motorcycle
Jerry Zee

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 04:30:49 PM »

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 04:36:12 PM »
I have arthur in my hands. I got a Convert in anticipation of the day when working the clutch won't be doable anymore. And when it get's hard to balance the bike, I'll hang a sidecar on it.

Rich A

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 04:40:18 PM »
Hey Joe, I've been using elastic/neoprene support stuff for years and it really helps. You can get fingerless gloves, wrist, and elbow supports at the medical section of your local Box store. I've used them all at various times and they're cheap and seem to help me a lot. Also taking Ibuprofen and Acetomyophin in combination (half dosage of each) really helps. My neighbor takes the hemp oil derivative and swears by it, but I've never tried it and it's not legal everywhere. So don't use it if you go to Disneyland. Getting' old's not for sissies!

Thanks Goose,

I can't take hemp oil (get drug tested at work) but a support glove is cheap enough.  Thanks for the idea.

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 04:43:46 PM »
Best things for arthritis is said to be exercise. Lack of motion makes it worse. Based on that I would suggest hand grip exercisers.

Got these on Amazon and seem pretty good for the $$.

https://www.amazon.com/Luxon-Strengthener-Adjustable-Resistance-22-110/dp/B01M0VIAJN/ref=pd_ybh_a_60?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RY3SD27DV47D5KAM57DA
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Online guzzler

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 04:51:42 PM »
G'day.
I had/have the same issue.
It got bad enough that I could hardly open a twist top bottle about 10 years ago.
I remembered the old stories from Mum and grandparents about having to endure a teaspoon of Cod Liver oil twice a day when they were young and tried it !
Bloody awful stuff and thought there had to be a better way!
Fish oil tablets !!
No manky taste and it bloody works.
I take 4 x 1000 mg tablets a day and have no pain.
Sometimes when I'm on holidays and forget for a couple of days and sure enough it starts again but disappears once again when I resume!
Swear by it and no issues.
I don't believe the claims about it being good for the heart but it sure as hell works for Arthur itis and his ruemy mate!!
Cheers Guzzler.

Online guzzler

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 04:59:42 PM »
Oh I also agree with Darren there about exercise !
I was give a little rubber stress ball years ago and after coming home from a ride with a knackered clutch hand awhile ago started using it!
This was due to fatigue in my hand but started using the ball and it does certainly help.
I can ride all day now and don't have a problem with the left hand and clutch any more!
I know what works for one may not work for another but things have certainly worked for me and cost wise ha bugger all.
Cheers Guzzler

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 05:08:44 PM »
Thank you Darren and Guzzler for the info about exercise.
Perhaps that's why this has showed up in my weak hand before my strong hand.
I'll get an exercise ball/gripper and start w that.
Thank you,
Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 05:36:07 PM »
A friend started having trouble with arthritis in his clutch hand, and he installed an easy pull clutch system. Swears by it. There are several different outfits that make snd sell them.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 06:19:21 PM »
Hey Joe,  call me old fashioned but I still swear by the old Epsom salt, warm water soaks for joint pain. Next time your at the doc's have them check for rheumatoid as you want to catch that one early.  Sounds more like wear and tear though, hope it resolves with some tlc. 

Online frozengoose

• To eaches his onus...
  • Gosling
    • smiles from nowhere
  • Location: Just a little ways past Fairbanks, Alaska on the locally world famous Chena Hot Springs Road
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2019, 06:23:19 PM »
Thank you Darren and Guzzler for the info about exercise.
Perhaps that's why this has showed up in my weak hand before my strong hand.
I'll get an exercise ball/gripper and start w that.
Thank you,
Joe

Hey Joe, While exercise is great for the muscles, you have to keep in mind that arthritis is a degenerative disease of the joints with no real cure. Over-doing the exercise will likely make the condition worse. I recommend starting off easy, get a soft rubber sponge ball, like they sell in the kids store, and squeeze that for a while. If it seems to help, then progress up to a hard rubber ball or grip exercisers. I've had the dreaded big "A" in my thumb and first two fingers for twenty years or more. Light repetitive exercise does help, but harder stuff just makes it worse. I switch off and use my left hand a lot more now, but it's starting to show the same symptoms. Take it easy with whatever you do until it seems to help.
Big Jon

Two old Guzzi's (V65 & T), 250E CZ, and 6 happy huskies.

Well, I've got a baby, she's a bad motorcycle
Brrooom-pa-pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa-paw
When we ride together, all through the night
She's got a real wild machine and it's out of sight
She goes brrooom-pa-pa-pa, paw-paw, motorcycle
Jerry Zee

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2019, 06:43:28 PM »
Although most studies of Chondroitin/Glucosamine for DJD have been unimpressive in results, a well designed double blind study in 2011 (https://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/news/20110906/supplement-may-ease-pain-of-hand-osteoarthritis) prompted me to start taking it for my progressive hand symptoms. Not a wonder drug, but I believe I can tell when I’ve been off it a week or so.  YMMV.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2019, 07:25:11 PM »
Ah, the “itis” brothers Arthur, Bur. Tendon I know them well. 35 years of air tools.
For some temporary relief on my right wrist (my dominate side) I’ve been using a transdermal goo of 4-5% of lidocaine,aspercreme is one brand there are many. I’ll throw some in my saddlebag & bring it to sweet Evalina’s Sunday. No I’m not bringing enough for everyone !! I get several hours of moderate ,not total relief hey it’s worth a try & free.

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2019, 07:34:17 PM »
No smart remark intended. What about a bike with a DCT transmission or a large scooter? You're still in the wind.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 09:47:46 PM »
Thank you all for the information.  I can still ride fine with a regular clutch, but I want to get ahead of it while I still can.
Looks like light exercise and some pain treatments are the way to go.

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2019, 01:41:57 AM »
Something on the tv here a couple of days ago suggested using Rose Hip or you could try Turmeric. After a stint in hospital with Sepsis I ended up with RA in every part of my body overnight. I now take copious amounts of medication to get through each day.

Offline wyno

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2019, 03:27:12 AM »
My sister in law told about a thing she's trying out for joint pain. You get some prunes and soak them in gin for a couple of days and then have one each night before you go to bed. I don't know if it would work, but you'd sure get a good night's sleep.
Wyno

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2019, 09:48:22 AM »
Stubbie, sorry to hear how you got afflicted.  That's a tough break, for sure.

Wyno, gin and prunes, eh?  Well I've got plenty of gin....
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2019, 09:55:19 AM »
 I use CBD wax. rub it on joints and the pain goes away.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2019, 10:32:15 AM »
I have "trauma-induced osteoarthritis" in a number of joints due to old injuries, including my left hand (hit by a truck mirror while walking along a highway with my thumb out trying to hitch a ride). A heaping tablespoon of tumeric morning and night make a huge difference in how much pain and inflammation I have to endure, with no side effects. Exercise helps, too, but make sure it includes a full range of motion. Once you squeeze that ball for a few reps, be sure to flex your fingers open and closed and roll your wrist.  It's not all bad, though. Enough has built up in my knee that it keeps my kneecap from dislocating anymore!

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2019, 10:37:02 AM »
I have found heat to be the best relief. I wash our dishes by hand several times a day.

Something I did years ago when it was really bad for me was to melt a couple bricks of Gulf wax with a bottle of mineral oil in a crock pot. On low of course. Dip your hands into it and pull them out to let cool. Dip again and again like you're making your hands into a candle. Leave that on your hands as long as you can stand it. Then peel it off. That was some deep penetrating warmth and as a side benefit, it really moistens your skin and softens calluses.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2019, 10:44:55 AM »
I use CBD wax. rub it on joints and the pain goes away.

Hmmm..I never tried it but I don't really have bothersome arthritis... So I just roll a joint with CBD's evil brother .. :evil:

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2019, 01:40:25 PM »
Ive found that MSM is amazing. I've got arthritis in my hands back and hip. Buy it on Amazon.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2019, 04:54:18 PM »
Bulldog, I'm leary of MSM and other "supplements."  There's so much snake oil out there, it's hard to tell what's real and what's not.  I'll consider MSM if it get worse. 

Sidecarnutz, that hot wax is serious treatment.  I'm not at your level now, but might be there sooner than I want.

Ryan, you have my sympathy.  Thanks for the info about range of motion.

Sasquatch, no magic oil for me.  I get drug tested at work.

Thank you all,
Joe

09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2019, 05:24:20 PM »
Hi Joe.  The clutch hand can be a real pain.

As I have arthritis in a number of joints, (feet, was in hip :grin:, hands, spine and shoulder) I have been doing a regimen of little stuff to help keep moving, some admittedly from anecdotal sources.  I take fish oil as someone has already said, and a morning anti-inflammatory for my feet; when it's painful to stand or walk it throws the whole body out and the spine quickly lets you know.  At lunchtime I have a salad from stuff from the garden and the dressing is a liberal spray of cider vinegar with a drizzle of olive oil.  I can honestly say that the cider vinegar really helps with the nighttime cramp in my feet. Four days without it and the cramps come back, start taking it again and the cramps go.  Tested three or four times and I can tell you it is not imagination.  Steady light exercise on my gym machine also helps.

As far as the clutch hand goes, the biggest help was changing the levers.  For the price of one replacement clutch lever I got off AliExpress a pair of adjustable, extendable and foldable levers, 6061 anodized CNC'd and precisely matching the red and black of the Breva.  I have the clutch lever set as close to the bar as it will go, and because of the shape of the lever it still has plenty of cable adjustment available and still fully releases the clutch.  Made my riding a whole lot easier.

Getting old ain't for sissies! :grin:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2019, 06:36:45 PM »
I use this gel on my wrists and neck. The only side effects are the desire to run through fields and munch on grass but my joints feel better. 

I purchased this bottle at Tractor supply but of course it is on Amazon. I haven’t tried this product, but it is suppose to be even better than the above topical analgesic and it’s called Biofreeze Professional roll on.

1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2019, 08:46:10 PM »
I've never used this brand, but it looks like it is based on Horse liniment AKA DMSO.  It works on the same principle as MSM, is a sulfide that penetrates membranes, reduces inflammation and literally cleans free radicals, oxides and scar tissue out of ligaments and joints and gives amazing pain relief. My Uncles are horsemen, they show, breed and train quarter horses, farriers, etc.

Years ago, my uncle had the real deal vet grade DMSO, and would apply it to his horses. Would work miracles. You were supposed to use gloves, but one time he forgot. He had been working with his hands, was a golden glove boxer in the 50's and had bad arthritis and pain. Within 2 hours of applying the DMSO to the horses without gloves, his hand pain as 50%. He started using it and in 3-4 days was pain free.  Fast forward to the 90's and I had so much knee pain and damage, on my 2nd knee surgery, he asked me to trust him and started a 4 day cycle of application over Christmas. I went from lame to 90% pain free.

I dont apply DMSO anymore, but have been taking MSM for several years. Is all natural, and when I was on 3 800MG's of Motrin a day and other pain meds without any relief, I remembered the DMSO, did some research and discovered that the sulfides had similar effects, I started taking MSM, amazing results.  I have used a similar topical application to this and it worked well, but my maintenance on MSM has done wonders. I dont take any pain killers at all with the exception of injuries, etc.

To the OP, do some research on MSM, has many benefits. I have been taking for 6+ years, and referred dozens of people all with same results. Less pain, better flexibility, less pain and inflammation over all. PLUS, it is all natural not some pharmaceutical synthetic drug.  I'm not a granola naturalist kind of guy, but do prefer a natural supplement over a man made drug.

I use this gel on my wrists and neck. The only side effects are the desire to run through fields and munch on grass but my joints feel better. 

I purchased this bottle at Tractor supply but of course it is on Amazon. I haven’t tried this product, but it is suppose to be even better than the above topical analgesic and it’s called Biofreeze Professional roll on.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2019, 09:30:12 PM »
Might be a good excuse to try an older Harley with the shift on the tank and the suicide  clutch!
Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here