Author Topic: Arthritis, Cluch Hand  (Read 5874 times)

Online frozengoose

• To eaches his onus...
  • Gosling
    • smiles from nowhere
  • Location: Just a little ways past Fairbanks, Alaska on the locally world famous Chena Hot Springs Road
Re: Arthritis, Cluch Hand
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2019, 12:34:10 AM »
Thanks for the honest, rational, make-me-want-to-kill-myself-tonight post.

Sorry for the shitty mood post so ban me if needed.  But I could barely play guitar today and both my f***ing feet are burning from just walking around on what amounts to nothing more than a normal day of exertion.  Doc said I have the worst early onset (I'm 49) arthritis he has seen; hands and feet.  Sorry but I won't live like this more than a year or two more if I keep getting worse like I have the past two years.  When I can no longer wipe my ass or shave I'll take my buddy Gaston Glock out to the river and take one to the head.  If my hands are so bad I only seriously wound myself at least I'll drown in the river.  Some say killing yourself is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.  That is a bullshit answer for the fat chick who is going to kill herself because she can't lose weight. When you lose the ability to do what you want to do in life, let alone take care of yourself, you find yourself like those unfortunate souls who take their own life.  You don't want to die, you want to live.  But ending your life is seen as a slight improvement over living in constant pain for the next 30 years until something terminal takes your life.  God I genuinely wish I had cancer so as least I know I would die without having to kill myself.  And Jesus Christ can kiss my f***ing ass if he is real.  He has given me WAY too many problems from the day I was born for me to have anything to do with him.

Like I said, ban me if I deserve it.

NC

Edit:  I have already toned this down more than once.

Well I certainly don't want to be responsible for your demise. I wasn't trying to be a Debbie (Donnie?) downer, just wanted to make the point that there's no miracle cure that's gonna make it all go away. But I've had arthritis since my mid forties and I've made it past seventy, at least so far, so that's something I guess.
Specifically dealing with the hand problem, I've found that light exercise, squeezing a soft sponge ball or stretching a rubber band with the fingers will promote blood flow, then soaking in ice water to prevent swelling, which is the cause of most the pain, has helped me. Also wearing those neoprene gloves i mentioned helped. I found a thin, fingerless pair on eBay that really helps when they're acting up. I could barely type a few years ago and now I haven't had to wear them so often.
As to the feet, try loose shoes or boots with cushion insoles and/or soft rubber soles. I quit wearing some of my old work boots cause they were tight or had hard vibram soles that irritated my arthritic big toes. Also icing after being on your feet helps.
I've mentioned that aspirin helps sometimes, other times I've tried the combination of Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen taken together. Naproxen helped my hips, but did nothing for my knees, so you need to try a lot of different stuff to find what works for you.
Anyway, I've lived with it for 25 years now and I'm still here, complaining a little, but going on with my usual life, just taken it one day at time. The good ones make it worthwhile to get through the bad.
Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 02:07:20 AM by frozengoose »
Big Jon

Two old Guzzi's (V65 & T), 250E CZ, and 6 happy huskies.

Well, I've got a baby, she's a bad motorcycle
Brrooom-pa-pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa-paw
When we ride together, all through the night
She's got a real wild machine and it's out of sight
She goes brrooom-pa-pa-pa, paw-paw, motorcycle
Jerry Zee

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2019, 07:31:16 AM »
Numbercruncher,
I feel for you.  Having an incurable disease that they say will gradually get worse, ... that's a real punch.

There's Dr's that specialize in arthritis.  Maybe seeing someone different will give a diff perspective.
As in cycle repair and having someone else look at your engine problem; they can see a fix that eluded you.

with sympathy,
Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2019, 08:41:42 AM »
I am blessed not to have this terrible disease and admit I know little about it. However I have an Aunt that had a terrible bout with it in her hands for many years. Her hands had huge knots and the fingers were twisted and deformed. I can distinctly remember her saying that she took “gold shots” to relieve the pain. I have no idea what these shots were or weather she was referring to cost or if there was actually gold in the medicine??
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:02:05 AM by Ncdan »

Offline tumuli stump jumper

• New Egg
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2019, 08:47:37 AM »
I have been dealing with it for about 6 years know. It started fast, swollen feet and hands, lots of pain. I tried all sorts of supplements. Nothing helped very much. Then I changed my diet completely. Got rid of ALL SUGARS! Stopped eating tons of carbohydrates. Started eating mostly vegetables, meats, nuts, oils. Keato diet mostly.

After a few weeks things started getting better. Six years down the road my symptoms are greatly reduced. Irritating but tolerable. I can't imagine where I would be now if I hadn't changed my diet. Probably on a ton of prescription drugs with $$$ doctor bills to boot.

Doctors never talk about food but EVERYTHING YOU PUT IN YOUR PIE HOLE HAS AN EFFECT ON YOUR HEALTH!

On an arthritic clutch hand related topic I have been experimenting with "floating the gears" on my 01 EV. (shifting without the clutch) It is doable but you have to feather the throttle just right and if you mess up too bad you will be rebuilding the gear box.  Maybe cheaper in the long run to just buy a Convert.

Steve

01 EV 1100
72 Eldorado (deceased, resurrection in progress) 
82 Honda CX500
51 Indian Brave

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2019, 08:47:37 AM »

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2019, 10:33:13 AM »

An old friend recommended DSMO. and this thread reminded me. I've used it in the morning for two days now. After about an hour or so, I noticed much less pain. Today, I forgot about the pain.  I don't think this is psychosomatic.. but of course it could be.

I have been trying Biofreeze and it seems to work too. And the ingredients seem to be safe.  https://www.riteaid.com/shop/biofreeze-pain-relieving-roll-on-green-2-5-oz-0367107?ra_group=gPLA30pct16&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw-v7kKnu4gIVkIrICh1y7gc_EAQYBCABEgJoRPD_BwE

1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline roadventure

• Gosling
  • There is no try; There is only do.
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2019, 06:14:22 PM »
Thanks Goose,

I can't take hemp oil (get drug tested at work) but a support glove is cheap enough.  Thanks for the idea.

Joe

Can you use this cream?

https://www.hempworx.com/hemp-worx-products

I tried a sample recently and noticed a relief in my hand pain.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 06:15:42 PM by roadventure »
dave
Millville, DE

"Moto Guzzi....you're never more than 500 miles from your nearest dealer"

Online john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2019, 06:36:30 PM »
I have been trying Biofreeze and it seems to work too. And the ingredients seem to be safe.  https://www.riteaid.com/shop/biofreeze-pain-relieving-roll-on-green-2-5-oz-0367107?ra_group=gPLA30pct16&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw-v7kKnu4gIVkIrICh1y7gc_EAQYBCABEgJoRPD_BwE

Severe arthritis in spine, hips, hands and wrists.  DX via x-ray.  Not to much to add other than this:

Seems to be a combination of CBD and BioFreeze.  Not a miracle but helps.
He lost the run of himself.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here