Author Topic: SP model question  (Read 1363 times)

Offline jguzzi

• Hatchling
  • 1971 Ambassador, MGNOC# 11324
SP model question
« on: February 21, 2021, 02:38:57 PM »
Can anyone point me to a history of the SP models and their differences.....SP1 000, SPNT, and SPII ?  Riding impressions?  Which model had the 16 inch front wheel?  I have read reviews etc but no comparisons.  Any favorites among the three models?

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: SP model question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 03:38:55 PM »
I suggest you get some sportier handle bars and mount the SP fairing to your Convert and you'll have the perfect bike.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline jguzzi

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 04:03:34 PM »
Love that picture....I was doing some reading about the SP variants but the info seemed inconsistent and incomplete.  Just reading up in this 100th year.

Offline motospotter

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 04:22:42 PM »
Motorcycle specs page has standard specifications and brief articles on all the different SPs. You might find this a good start. I agree about putting the fairing on your Convert. I think the SP fairing belongs on any Tonti.

Go to the Moto Guzzi section and check out the different SPs
https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/index.htm
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 07:47:06 PM by motospotter »
Stephen P
79 1000SP
81 Monza
72 V7 Sport

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 04:22:42 PM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 04:33:55 PM »
The early SP was introduced in 78. It had a more "Lemans" like riding position, and is my favorite. It was built in 78-79, and part of 80. From memory  :rolleyes: the more touring oriented SPNT was built in late 80 and ran through 84 when the SPII came out. IIRC, it had the 16" front wheel. The fully faired square head SP3 came out in 87, and if you fit is a great sport tourer.
That's the Cliff notes version, I think.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 07:45:45 PM »
The early sp had a piss poor fit and finish—nt was what should have come first— I think the two with the 16” front wheel was the best in the mountains and the three for putting on highway mileage..

Online SLDMRossi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 08:11:28 PM »
SP1000 = Round Cylinders, no Luggage. Silver/Blue or Red/White.

SP II = 1987 only for U.S., factory-fitted Luggage (but somewhat light-duty), 16-inch front wheel, Brownish-Grayish-Green in color. I've owned two: my previous 16-inch front-wheeler and my current, 18-inch front wheel converted. They're both just fine. Don't believe what you read. But...I wouldn't be without one, which is why I'm on my second.

SP 3 is a different animal.

Only thing I'd think about: riding in modern traffic...two-up...the braking could be better. And oh by the way, two-up riding works for two average Europeans. But for two average Americans things can get a little cramped. And the rear pegs on the SP II are severely compromised when the bags are installed. the passenger can barely get his/her feet on them. You're lucky if you can barely get a heel on.

Steven Rossi

P.S. -- and if you're American tall (I'm 6'4") the windscreen is way to low on either one, and the turbulence will beat you brains out. Thus...a supplementary lip/airfoil is required.

P.S.S. -- I currently know of a nice Red/White SP 1000 for sale. Not mine...call Jim Hamlin at Hamlin Cycles in Bethel, Connecticut. It was sitting in his shop.

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Information is not knowledge.
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 08:34:13 PM »
SPIIs were available in Europe for '86 and '87. They had the option of a burgundy/red combination, but the US received only 114 of them and all were Smokey Quartz and Dolomite Grey. All came with 16" wheels from the factory. Early ones, at least in Europe, had the same style bags as on the V65C I think were slightly larger. The rest all came with different, larger bags with the silver stripe on them.

I bought mine new in 1990 after it sat on the showroom floor for three years and I still have it and still with the 16" wheel. They are really quick with those 16s and feel much lighter than the '85-'87 LeMans which also came with a 16 (which was 1/4" wider).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 08:35:53 PM by Denis »
Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 09:03:45 PM »
I have an 84 or so V65 with a Square Headlight SP fairing that I picked up last July. 
It was in boxes and hadn't run in over a decade.  It didn't come with the lower fairings just the mounting points on the frame.
I've been putting it together it as a Resto-mod.  (Dyna Ignition and coils, Repaint in a dark Green, Rear sets, Rizoma Bars and full led lighting)
Right now it runs decent Butt needs some fiddling with the lights.  Why is there always a Big Butt to these things?

Is it a V65C???????

I know some parts suppliers list a V65 SP model and some parts suppliers in Europe don't.

I've seen V50-III listed as a V50-C in European parts houses.
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Online SLDMRossi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 09:04:10 PM »
My 1987 SP II sold new in ... 1992! I'm the second owner...

SR

Offline jguzzi

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 07:53:42 AM »
Thank you for all of this information...very helpful.

Offline motospotter

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 09:03:58 AM »
P.S. -- and if you're American tall (I'm 6'4") the windscreen is way to low on either one, and the turbulence will beat you brains out. Thus...a supplementary lip/airfoil is required.

Gustafsson makes several different tall windshields for all the SP fairings. In fact I was amazed by the complete line of Guzzi windshields. Has anybody used them before ?

https://bikescreen.com/products/moto-guzzi-sp-1000-1978-1980
Stephen P
79 1000SP
81 Monza
72 V7 Sport

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 06:43:53 PM »
My '80 SP1000 still has the oem one.  Good luck.  If you have the lowers on the bike it extends you're riding season.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 07:31:52 PM »
From motospotter:
Gustafsson makes several different tall windshields for all the SP fairings. In fact I was amazed by the complete line of Guzzi windshields. Has anybody used them before ?
They are effective, look good, high quality and reasonably priced.

GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 08:35:23 AM »
Is it a V65C???????
If it has the lower fairing mounts, it's a V65 SP.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here