She lives! After a long delay due to U.S/ Canada border closures and other distractions, I've moved forward with the project.
I pried open my wallet and ordered a mid frame side stand kit. Even though the seller warns about possibly needed mods and bolts, it was an easy install on this bike.
It doesn’t bang on the bottom of the exhaust when retracted because of a stop at the pivot and it is nicely tucked underneath.
The 8mm thick stand plate mounts with two bolts.
It's possible to reuse the original very long transmission bolt by replacing the the two flat washers and one lock washers (About 7mm thickness total.) with two thin spring type washers.
Locktited the nut. Believe or not there is an (extremely thin) washer under there. Scrapes on the frame paint are nothing that a fine paint brush and some Tremclad won't cure.
The center stand swivel bolt had to be replaced with (a golden) one 10mm longer. instagram image video download
I was thinking about chroming the black headlight rim, but the local cost...$300?!?! Fuhgettaboutit. There are some chrome paints out there that do a reasonably nice job, but they require a spray gun set up, which I don’t have. I was about to respray it black, when I came upon a car modeller’s video about Rustoleum’s line of metallic paints. This one is called carbon mist and I like it. instagram video stealerinstagram albüm indirme
A cable clamp makes for a neat way to rout and secure the clutch cable.
Treated the blue beast to a new steering head badge:
The last major project was dealing with left side cover. With the Delrin intake manifolds, the Dellortos are not angled inwards nearly as much as stock. Not a problem with the slightly more forward right cylinder, but the left carb and air filter prevent the left side cover from fitting. I didn’t want to cut a visible part of the just painted cover to fit. Instead I decided to shift the side cover mounting points about 20mm rearward.
But moving the side cover rearward creates another problem. The high tension wires exit the coils towards the outside, that is towards the inside of the left side cover.
The wires just clear the inside of the cover in it’s original position. But with the cover moved rearward, the left coil's high tension wire press very hard against the inside of the side cover which is indented behind the faux intake grill. Not acceptable. So the coils had to be remounted.
The two side cover upper mounts are part of a bracket.
That bracket now looks like Swiss cheese after two different coil mounting attempts, er, I mean I'm lightening it for performance, right?
The left side of the bracket would normally bolt to this frame tab.
Because I'm moving the bracket rearwards (to the right in this photo.) , the bracket will now butt up against the tab which has been slightly modified:
From aluminum angle I cut four mounting brackets for the coils. And fabbed two steel brackets from some steel sheet I had in the garage. (painted black) The rectangular one is for mounting the side cover upper mount bracket.
The triangular one is for shifting the side cover's lower mounting pin rearwards. Here it is installed. The pin was originally mounted where the allen head screw is. You see where I ground a semicircular section out of the frame tab for clearance at the pin's new location.
The finished product:
Here you can see the fabbed rectangular painted bracket bridging the upper mount bracket and the frame tab. (Behind the left coil's upper aluminum bracket.)
I offset the right coil outwards so that the crossed high tension wires don’t touch. Yes, it would have been a lot easier to just cut away the side cover!
I snapped three of these throttle tubes while installing and removing the tank several times. I finally realized that the throttle cables need to be routed under the frame tubes. (Hey, the bike had been apart for a long time.)
There was one more minor issue. The choke lever wouldn’t stay up. I’m not sure if this particular choke lever was intended to be this way, but out came a file and I profiled the bottom curve of the lever so that it would stay “choked”
Also ordered a small fairing more as a sun shade for the near horizontal instruments than anything else.
Finally! Yesterday I took it out for short test ride, up and down my block. It started promptly, courtesy of a new battery and settled down to a steady idle in short order. I gingerly let out the clutch, aware of the all the “on-off” issues that people have brought up with “Sureflex” brand clutch plates. But it was a smooth engagement. The bike shifted nicely up and down to third gear. And the engine sounds great- a nice V- twin rumble with a hint of the Moto Guzzi top end clatter.indian flag gif images
After a safety check and license plate and insurance it will be ready for it’s shake down cruise!