Author Topic: Motus MST for sale, only 4,3xx miles, $17k, DFW area  (Read 4829 times)

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Motus MST for sale, only 4,3xx miles, $17k, DFW area
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2019, 05:45:07 PM »
john bloor who reserected triumph had to sell nearly 34,000 per year to break even according to a book on the subject.  not sure, but i think it took 8 years to achieve.

Bloor did a hell of a job, especially in terms of holding down the retail price and production cost while simultaneously implementing good engineering.  I think Guzzi would be happy with 20,000 per year and it looks to me like they’ve now got a product engineered well enough to take them there.  The Motus was more like the Hesketh in comparison to either.

oldbike54

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2019, 06:07:22 PM »
Bloor did a hell of a job, especially in terms of holding down the retail price and production cost while simultaneously implementing good engineering.  I think Guzzi would be happy with 20,000 per year and it looks to me like they’ve now got a product engineered well enough to take them there.  The Motus was more like the Hesketh in comparison to either.

Interesting comparison  :bow:

Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2019, 06:11:59 PM »
Interesting comparison  :bow:

Dusty

Tusayan isn't the dumbest bear in the woods..  :grin:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2019, 07:11:00 PM »

Bloor didn't stray too far from proven engineering and designs...The things that make a Guzzi desirable to the few make it not so desirable to the majority..

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2019, 07:11:00 PM »

Offline poorBob

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2019, 01:53:21 PM »
Good luck selling your Motus. I wish someone would buy mine. It is easily the biggest financial mistake I ever made and a complete POS.

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2019, 02:05:48 PM »
Good luck selling your Motus. I wish someone would buy mine. It is easily the biggest financial mistake I ever made and a complete POS.

I thought they were supposed to be excellent bikes -- what has your experience been ?

Offline davevv

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2019, 02:49:36 PM »

Your experience with the bike must be a lot different than mine.  I still think it's the best bike I've ever owned, but thanks for the recommendation.  What's the price on yours?
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."--Wyatt Earp
'94 BMW R1100RS, '20 BMW G310GS, 22 BMW F750GS

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2019, 04:47:02 PM »
What was so bad about it?

Offline CT Dharma

• Hatchling
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2019, 05:53:35 PM »

I'm in the market for one; what's the details?
1980 SP1000 original owner
1998 V10 Centauro
1982 Honda CX500TC Turbo
2012 Yamaha FJR 1300
2005 BMW R1100S BCR
1995 KTM Duke 620
1987 BMW K100RS

"When I'm riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive" - Neil Peart 1952-2020

Offline poorBob

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2019, 10:18:40 PM »
I'm in the market for one; what's the details?

2018 MSTR Desert Bronze. 3098 miles. Never been down, not a scratch. Collecting dust in my garage.
Purchased new in July 2018.
I helped Lee Conn unload it from the Motus pickup at the dealership.
Has never run correctly - fueling issues.
Clutch needs bleeding. OK, bleed it again. Now bleed the clutch. Issue is common with MSTRs but the heirloom crowd does not talk about it or other issues. "Shhh - you'll drove down the price of our heirlooms!" Paaaah! I'm done with this thing.
I parked it in February and ride my other 3 bikes. It's too much aggravation.
I put $9,500 dollars down on this $38k heirloom and I still owe $24k. I got Conned.
Mechanically inclined? Make it yours for $24k. I've told the truth.

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2019, 10:57:46 PM »
2018 MSTR Desert Bronze. 3098 miles. Never been down, not a scratch. Collecting dust in my garage.
Clutch needs bleeding. OK, bleed it again. Now bleed the clutch. Issue is common with MSTRs but the heirloom crowd does not talk about it or other issues. "Shhh - you'll drove down the price of our heirlooms!" Paaaah! I'm done with this thing.
I put $9,500 dollars down on this $38k heirloom and I still owe $24k. I got Conned.

There is a fix for the clutch issue.  It is posted on the V4 Muscle Bike Forum, and sounds pretty simple. 
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2019, 09:16:12 AM »
Fueling issues...that's a new one. I don't think I've heard anyone with that problem.

Clutch bleeding- I have an MST-R and MST. The R never needed anything. I swapped out the Magura setup on the MST to Brembo (like the R) and put a different master- problem solved. Easy fix that works. A new master with a relocated banjo port worked great.

All owners who are active on the facebook group or V4 muscle bike forum are VERY vocal about helping. Not so much about bitching. I will say that this bike is not a Honda, it's a fairly well sorted low production bike. They made 200 of them. They are not perfect, but most of the niggles are minor and easily addressed.

Only 3 owners I know put their bikes on display only- 2 at Barber and 1 locally in Michigan. Everyone else rides the wheels off. I've got 13k on one and 4k on the other.

Offline poorBob

• Gosling
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2019, 12:26:12 PM »
Fueling issues...that's a new one. I don't think I've heard anyone with that problem.

Clutch bleeding- I have an MST-R and MST. The R never needed anything. I swapped out the Magura setup on the MST to Brembo (like the R) and put a different master- problem solved. Easy fix that works. A new master with a relocated banjo port worked great.

All owners who are active on the facebook group or V4 muscle bike forum are VERY vocal about helping. Not so much about bitching. I will say that this bike is not a Honda, it's a fairly well sorted low production bike. They made 200 of them. They are not perfect, but most of the niggles are minor and easily addressed.

You may consider my comments bitching but I am telling the truth. Mine was back and forth to Birmingham in the back of the Motus truck because it was fouling the plugs on the brake side after a couple hundred miles. One time it backfired so hard and loud I thought it blew the cylinder head off. Motus attempted to fix it, returned it to the dealer who test rode it and sent it back to Motus to be fixed properly. Bitching vs stating facts... The V4 muscle bike forum is a good resource. Folks can read about the safety issues such as fire potential from arcing under the tank or flywheels eaten. If I wanted a Honda I would have bought one. I have a Triumph, an Aprilia and a Moto Guzzi that are all far superior motorcycles. I spent $40k on a poorly engineered glorified kit bike because I was seduced by acceleration bordering on the supernatural. That's my fault. For $40k, I expect something that performs amazingly and is reliable. Do the maintenance and ride it, like my other bikes. Again, my fault. By the way, Motus techs have been frustrated by my experience. It's all documented. The fact is I don't trust my $40k heirloom to make it home without a trailer. Neither do the trained Motus techs who have worked on it. I have had kind people offer to help but the fact of the matter is right now I am having health issues and cannot afford to dump any more money down the Motus hole.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here