Author Topic: NGC. No more big box stores for me!  (Read 3935 times)

Offline wolfeguitars

• Jay Wolfe
  • New Egg
    • Wolfe Guitars
Re: NGC. No more big box stores for me!
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2019, 02:50:51 PM »
As a owner/operator of a local Mom & Pop Guitar Shop I'm always interested in these type discussions. The big box folks have done their absolute best to run us all out of biz, but I'm stubborn. (of course I have a MG) Because we're the main repair shop in our area I hear horror stories daily about the "Guitar Denters" of the world. Just one little gem: Guy walks in with a $4500 brand new Martin and shows me some ugly cracks in the wood all about the end pin button. Asks me "is this typical?" I say no Sir, that there is damage. How'd it happen? He says he just bought it at Guitar Denter & asked the sales guy to install the end pin, as Martin ship them with the pin in the case pocket. The doofus sticks the pin in the hole & BANGS it on the floor so it "won't come loose." The pin and hole are beveled and therefore this operation cracked the Rosewood in several directions! Buyer inquires & doofus says "they all do that.....that's just how Martins are ya know." I suggested he see the manager & demand his dough back, and he did.  They are good for our repair biz, cuz they do this sort of stuff pretty often.
I ride to work, ride to eat, ride to nowhere for nothing.
* Moto Guzzi 2002 California 1100EV w/ Sidecar
* Ducati 1990 851
* Ducati 1993 900 Supersport

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2019, 05:27:12 PM »
the new Webbers are a POS read the reviews and believe them. I didn't, big mistake!
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2019, 05:45:08 PM »
As John Croucher said,  the big box stores use a contracted assembly company.  They assemble everything for all big stores out here.  Walmart, Target, HD & Lowe's.  Ace, I'm not sure about.  Their prices are higher but service is better.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline hzbloke

• New Egg
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2019, 11:09:43 PM »
It may cheer some of you up to know that Lowes went into partnership with one of Australia's two big supermarket chains (Woolworths) to challenge Australia's dominant hardware chain (Bunnings). Starting in 2011 they opened about 70 stores but by 2017 all had closed at a loss of more than 3 billion dollars. They misread the market.

Amusingly,  in 2016 Bunnings bought the Homebase chain of 250 stores in the UK for over 300 million Pound, tried to rebrand them as Bunnings and ended up selling the whole lot for one Pound in 2018. They also misread the market.
2019 Kawasaki Z900rs
2008 Breva 750
1986 BMW R65

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2019, 11:09:43 PM »

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2019, 11:53:30 PM »
It may cheer some of you up to know that Lowes went into partnership with one of Australia's two big supermarket chains (Woolworths) to challenge Australia's dominant hardware chain (Bunnings). Starting in 2011 they opened about 70 stores but by 2017 all had closed at a loss of more than 3 billion dollars. They misread the market.

Amusingly,  in 2016 Bunnings bought the Homebase chain of 250 stores in the UK for over 300 million Pound, tried to rebrand them as Bunnings and ended up selling the whole lot for one Pound in 2018. They also misread the market.

MBAs in action, no doubt.
1990 MilleGT

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2019, 06:39:20 AM »
The Ace Hardware on 25th Street in Cleveland has the same pricing as the big box stores but with excellent service and free delivery.

Right across the street from the Westside Market. From the age of 9 to adulthood, I worked at my grandfather’s produce stand at the market. Haven’t been there in years, I understand that area has changed quite a bit.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

bobrebos

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2019, 07:21:07 AM »
UPDATE:  After five days of supposedly having the grill put together in two days, it is put together and ready for pick-up.  I picked it up.  Friendly help with loading it etc.  Then I got it home, hooked up propane tank, turned propane cylinder valve on and propane was leaking out the connection at the tank like a sieve.  Coming out of the hose connection on the grill.  Re-connected to ensure tight fit five times.  No help still leaking.  Guess il take the hose off of the rusted out grill and try that one.  Geezzzz, this shouldn't be such a big project.  Im just trying to buy a grill, get it home in a couple of days and have it work!.  Next time im going to ACE Hardware or amazon. 

bobrebos

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2019, 07:41:40 AM »
UPDATE:  After five days of supposedly having the grill put together in two days, it is put together and ready for pick-up.  I picked it up.  Friendly help with loading it etc.  Then I got it home, hooked up propane tank, turned propane cylinder valve on and propane was leaking out the connection at the tank like a sieve.  Coming out of the hose connection on the grill.  Re-connected to ensure tight fit five times.  No help still leaking.  Guess il take the hose off of the rusted out grill and try that one.  Geezzzz, this shouldn't be such a big project.  Im just trying to buy a grill, get it home in a couple of days and have it work!.  Next time im going to ACE Hardware or amazon.

Got it fixed.  put old hose from rusted out grill on new grill.  Works like a charm now.  Woo Hoo.  Yay me!!!!!!  Now to get some meat on that thing later today for the Cowboys/Packers game! 

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2019, 02:37:42 PM »
Got it fixed.  put old hose from rusted out grill on new grill.  Works like a charm now.  Woo Hoo.  Yay me!!!!!!  Now to get some meat on that thing later today for the Cowboys/Packers game!

Practice for next weekend?
1990 MilleGT

bobrebos

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2019, 03:51:37 PM »
Practice for next weekend?

Practice makes perfect!   :thumb:

britman

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2019, 09:36:04 PM »
True Value Hardware for me.  Lowes is cheaper on nearly everything, but True Value is around the corner, I know nearly every employee, and I have put a good number of old motorcycles back together out of their nut and bolt section......

Online SemperVee

• My life will be told in MC people and experiences more than anything else.
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • USMC Retired
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2019, 10:59:01 AM »
  Lowes had the best price for purchasing and installing my wood laminate flooring through out the whole house last year. Plus taking up all the carpet and taking to dump.
  They  contracted with outside company to install.   I had a problem with buckling in a few places a few months later.  Had I not had LOWES behind me they would have stalled coming to fix it.  Once I mentioned I had purchased it through Lowes, their demeanor changed.  Good thing I used the power of a big company to lean on them.  Just Sayin.  :^)
2007 MG Norge - Hi Ho Silver! - La Dolce Vita
CalSci Tall Windshield
Heli-Bars
Matris Fork + SAG set
Eibach Rear spring
Salamander HB ends
K&N  filter
StainTune pipe
Metal gas fltr
Givi Rear rack
Givi V46 Box and Rack
Startus Interuptus
Napoleon Mirrors
Grip Puppies

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here