Author Topic: Motorcycle mechanics school?  (Read 15759 times)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Motorcycle mechanics school?
« on: April 08, 2015, 07:30:12 PM »
An old friend emailed me with this question. As far as I know, this is the best place to ask..
My youngest son wants to work in the vintage bike restoration biz and not having much success finding either a school program or an apprenticeship/internship. So, I’m casting a wide net to see if anyone has ideas for him. He's been taking all the motorcycle classes that Ivy Tech offers but they don't even know what a carburetor is let alone how to sync/rebuild one. I appreciate any advice and thanks in advance!

So. Any leads?
TIA
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
Re: Motorcycle mechanics school?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 07:57:38 PM »
maybe he could pick up part time work at a dealership, I know it's not classic bikes but if he were to start a business, knowing current technology is a must (unless Jay Leno hires him for his garage!)   If he is interested in just classic restoration, I read John Williams of the Tank Shop will teach the art of making alloy tanks, but it is expensive

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 07:59:46 PM »
Oh, I was also thinking there are a lot of vintage restoration shops in the desert out here, they specialize in cars  but do get bikes every so often

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 08:06:02 PM »
Chuck, where does he live? I could use some help! I'm actually looking for an apprentice, I can't pay much in money but, I'll teach him everything I know. And that's worth at least a buck 280 :BEER:
Joe Walano

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 08:06:02 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 08:14:03 PM »
Chuck, where does he live? I could use some help! I'm actually looking for an apprentice, I can't pay much in money but, I'll teach him everything I know. And that's worth at least a buck 280 :BEER:

Probably the Indy area. You just might be what he's looking for, I'll certainly pass it on. Thanks!

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 08:14:55 PM »
that is so narrow focused. He want's to do that for a career?  
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 08:46:37 PM »
that is so narrow focused. He want's to do that for a career?  

Oh, I agree.. but if you have the fire in your gut..
I wanted to be an airplane mechanic, but my parents would have none of that. Of course they couldn't afford to send me to college, so I had to improvise, and go to GMI, which eventually led to an apprenticeship, which paid the bills so I could become an airplane mechanic.  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 09:58:55 PM »

Check your PMs Joe..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 10:40:49 PM »
I went through the Motorcycle Mechanics Institute HD program from late 02 until early 04.  Lost my job at Motorola because of NAFTA, so there was a big pool of $ to pay for it.  Anyways, the cost for 15 months of school was @ $20,000.  I learned plenty, but don't work in the field today (low pay, lots of responsibility).  Even after 15 months of school, I was only qualified as an entry level tech. (hence, the low pay).  To be fair, my mechanical skill is okay, but not off the charts.  I guess it all comes down to aptitude.  How good is this kid and how motivated is he?  If he can make a wrench turn to gold every time he touches one, this may be a good option for him.     
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 11:43:43 PM »
He's going to have to learn the art of lacing and truing a wire rim wheel.  Installing tubes and bias-ply tires.  You can't pay for that kind of education.   :-* :-* :-*
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 08:08:30 AM »
If he really wants to jump into it McPherson College in McPherson, KS offers the only bachelor degree program in auto restoration. They also do some motorcycle stuff. Jay Leno is a big supporter. I have toured the program and it looks quite impressive. Students learn how to deal with anything from the late 19th century to modern. Students are taught machining techniques, upholstery, wood working, fabrication, metal work, engine and power trains from all eras and finishing.
During the state fair a team of students would put on a demo of assembling a tore down Model T in under 10 minutes. Here is a link:
http://www.mcpherson.edu/autorestoration/

GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 11:31:44 AM »
There is or was? a Motorcycle mechanics course offered at Fairview collage in Fairview Alberta, Google that up! Was at one time a very good course offering old to new repair instruction. ;-T DonG

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
I guess it all comes down to aptitude.  How good is this kid and how motivated is he? 

I have a feeling, he isn't too motivated. Or he would already have a plan.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline ibis1

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 11:48:01 AM »
If he really wants to jump into it McPherson College in McPherson, KS offers the only bachelor degree program in auto restoration. They also do some motorcycle stuff. Jay Leno is a big supporter. I have toured the program and it looks quite impressive. Students learn how to deal with anything from the late 19th century to modern. Students are taught machining techniques, upholstery, wood working, fabrication, metal work, engine and power trains from all eras and finishing.
During the state fair a team of students would put on a demo of assembling a tore down Model T in under 10 minutes. Here is a link:

GliderJohn
That's very interesting. Never knew they had any programs like that. I was in Kansas a few years ago, had I known I would have stopped by.  :BEER:
2010 California Vintage (Gone)
1971 750 Ambassador (Gone)
2014 California Touring

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 01:18:24 PM »
I have a feeling, he isn't too motivated. Or he would already have a plan.

I meant more of how eager is he to learn and engage once he does find a program.  We'd have guys complain that they weren't getting their moneys worth, or why were the first 6 weeks all "theory" (no turning of any wrenches) etc...  One of my instructors told our class he could only do so much.  It was up to us to study and hit the ground running when it came time to pick up our tools and actually do something.  Kind of along the lines of - you get out of it what you put into it.    
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 01:19:28 PM by Vince in Milwaukee »
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Offline eldoroddo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 01:52:56 PM »
University of YouTube?

redrider

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 03:54:37 PM »
Check the Technical Colleges. A tech school from Indiana bought a springer from the dealership in 2011 to use in their bike maintenance program.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 05:12:09 PM »
I'd find a shop that was interested in me as an inexperienced apprentice and ask them what 'local' school they'd like to see me in.  I'd then do an unpaid (or nominal wage) internship as my practicum while I went through the tech program.  At some point during the internship I'd expect that they'd tell me to step away from the solvent tank and put down the push broom in favor of handling a wrench.

When I was underage I put together a sportster that had been crushed in a barn collapse.  I spotted it in the blackberry-covered ruin and the owner said that I could have it, but I had to uncover it, stacking the barn boards as I went.  I needed parts and I needed instruction.  I got it at a m/c wrecking yard.  The deal was that I'd disassemble bikes and clean/tag parts for inventory until the owner felt the part was paid for.  I learned a lot about how things are put together by taking them apart, and I learned about the tools, vocabulary, and parts ID as I went along.  I moved on to a real dealership (tri/BSA/Norton/'vespa) in Seattle after a couple years of afternoon work in the wrecking yard.  I was fired from that when I showed up to work on a Guzzi.  But I digress.  My point is that this kid could learn the same way -- if he didn't have to support himself as he learned.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 05:29:18 PM »
Hey , MMI, you can change the oil on a few models. Cost alot, but you get a toolbox and tools, AND a certificate saying you are a TECH.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 05:43:54 PM »
Hey , MMI, you can change the oil on a few models. Cost alot, but you get a toolbox and tools, AND a certificate saying you are a TECH.

I don't know how many tech courses I've attended that were populated with a big percentage of geeks who took the classes to pad their resumes.  I did a class in network cabling where I had to show the teacher the features and proper use of the tools.  He told me "These guys don't care how the tools work -- they're never going to do this stuff.  They are here because they want a paid week away from the office, they are required to attend to keep certs current, or they just want the alphabet soup on their job applications."

With teachers and the bulk of students like that, how can a sincere student expect to achieve anything?

ridingron

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 08:11:06 PM »

Do I detect a bit of sarcasm?  ;D I have worked with several graduate of MMI. All of them are in the company (non-motorcycle) apprentice program. I consider it a complete waste of money.

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 07:31:07 AM »
Yesterday I couldn't spell technician, today I are one!  :BEER:
Joe Walano

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2015, 09:05:38 AM »

GliderJohn

Good points I was going to post.  For true restoration work I'd expect someone to know about casting, machining, sheetmetal work, paint, etc.  If you can't find it, you just might have to make it yourself.

Watch out for the schools that require purchase of their supplied tools as condition of enrollment.  I know of a few boys that were hosed by financing $10k+ in tools and tool chests, financed as part of tuition of course, only to end up without much useful knowledge, little job prospect and a load of debt.  Jiffy Lube fodder.

Tobit
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2015, 09:30:11 AM »
When my boys were getting ready to graduate from high school, they knew they had three options.   I had readied myself over the years to put them through a Virginia university and not leave them with loans to pay back - they would go to school, work part-time as they could, and I'd supply the rest. 

Option 1:  An apprenticeship in a technical field (auto/motorcycle/diesel mechanics, etc).   Two years at the local community college, then find someone who would be willing to take on an apprentice at low or no wages in the field they were interested in.   I'd pay for his basic living expenses for several years and buy him his first set of tools.   

Option 2:  Four years at a State university in the field he wanted, then fly free with no loans to pay back.

Option 3:  Go see Uncle Sam.   He's got plenty of jobs and you can see the world and serve your fellow man, then come home and do Option 1 or 2 on HIS nickel .....

Eldest son chose Option 3, saw all the garden spots of the world including Haiti, Fallujah, Ramadi, and Afghanistan.   Came home highly motivated, got his ME degree and is now a process engineer for Corning having a great time.

Youngest son chose Option 2, and that worked out well.

I would have liked the chance to see where Option 1 would have gone.   But you have to be highly motivated to get through the apprentice/journeyman phase .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

redrider

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2015, 09:32:43 AM »
I know a former MMI Instructor who explained the puppy mill there. Federal money to the school for every person graduated. Instructors may hold a student back but the first offence is a verbal reprimand, second garners a written one and the third is termination. I hired one of the grads-he barely knew which end of the screwdriver to use. Nice kid, no skills. Don't know of other schools or grads.

Penderic

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2015, 10:06:56 AM »
That would explain some things.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2015, 11:07:16 AM »
Unfortunately motorcycle mechanic school like a most higher learning generates lots of bills and meager wages after you graduate. I was fortunate to get into a Pipefitter apprenticeship when I was 18yrs old. 5 years of school cost me nothing except for books and the only tool I ever had to buy was a foot rule. Had a pension, annuity and health benefits from day 1. I also worked days and went to school at night so I generated income instead of arccuing debt the entire time.

Long story short if the kid is eager and makes good career path choices earliy in life those choices will afford him almost endless opprutinity in the future. Paying for a couple years of schooling then possible working a non-paying apprenticeship for a couple of years doesn't add up to me.

If it were my kid I'd try to direct them onto a better career path.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2015, 11:14:21 AM »
Unfortunately motorcycle mechanic school like a most higher learning generates lots of bills and meager wages after you graduate.

???
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2015, 11:51:06 AM »
Unfortunately motorcycle mechanic school like a most higher learning generates lots of bills and meager wages after you graduate.

???

"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Penderic

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 03:13:12 PM »
School aint what it used to be.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here