Author Topic: clutch woes - think its the thrust bearing -update  (Read 4561 times)

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: clutch woes - think its the thrust bearing -update
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2017, 04:15:40 PM »
   Definitely. And as I posted earlier, The inner and outer bodies ( top hats ) should be replaced too. Both ends of the push rod fit into these parts.  As well as the throw out bearing. All these parts are relatively inexpensive. All total should be less than $100

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2017, 05:06:15 PM »
That does not look like wear I have seen before.  Usually, the wear occurs when the bearing fails and the pushrod is no longer free to spin in synch with the clutch center.  If the latter happens, the nose end of the pushrod gets very hot and begins to 'mushroom'.  If it is bad enough, the rod shortens in length and thus reduces clutch action.  Often it is difficult or impossible to extract the rod without removing the transmission from the engine.  Here is a worn rod and the mushrooming has just begun to develop:

ebay image hosting free

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2017, 05:41:08 PM »
   As Patrick's pictures show, and the OP's pictures show, the end of the push rod has separated and is probably still stuck in the inner body.

Offline lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2017, 06:15:49 PM »
hey guzzidad, could you clarify what you mean by that last post? I don't quite understand you

FWIW neither my old or replacement pushrods have the ridge on them shown in Patricks photo.

Also, as previously stated the old push rod seems to be very close in length to the new replacement one

thanks
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 06:19:04 PM by lazlokovacs »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2017, 06:15:49 PM »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2017, 06:26:13 PM »
If the 'puc' on the pressure plate made that beveled tip I would get rid of it.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2017, 06:30:23 PM »
    Lazlo, it's been a long time since I last had a push rod in my hand. But Patrick's pictures make it look like there is a pressed on tip to the push rod. And if it has mushroomed like Patrick's pictures show, it most likely got hot and separated from the pushrod. And may well be stuck in the inner body.

Offline lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2017, 06:37:53 PM »
Guzzidad, thanks for you input, appreciate it.

but... there's no pressed tip on my replacement pushrod either

a google image search of part number 14085700 brings up pictures of pushrods with no pressed tip...

hmmm the mystery deepens

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2017, 07:11:23 PM »
   Like I said Lazlo, it's been a long time. But I remember clearly the last clutch job I did on my 1100 Sport. All I did was replace the clutch friction plates and throw out bearing and after reassembly I couldn't get proper adjustment. Then I bought the inner and outer bodies. They were only like $20 each. And everything worked as new again.

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2017, 07:23:18 PM »
I don't believe there is any pressed on or separate tip to the push rod.  It may be shaped slightly larger diameter at the tip as shown in my pics, but it is not a separate piece.  If your bearing is good, there is no reason to suspect the pushrod or its receiver cup in the clutch center.  I don't know the answer to your problem but I'm less inclined to blame these parts.

You report that it feels one way when cold and totally different when hot.  That symptom points more toward a warped central floater plate between the friction disks.  Once warped, it takes on a shallow conical shape which grows and shrinks with heat/cool cycles.  The only fix is to replace the plate.  There is some recommendation that the replacement plate should be sliced to reduce the potential for warpage. 

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzitech.dk/pdf/clutch-intermediate-plate-heat-warp-the-cure.pdf

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2017, 07:41:41 PM »
    While Patrick's last post is a possibility, it's highly unlikely. My clutch on the Sport also also changed character between hot and cold. The bodies did the trick, or as GuzziSteve called them, pucks.

Offline lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2017, 07:44:36 PM »
^hey patrick,

its more that I set the adjustment on the clutch, go for a ride and then have loads of free play.

The free play doesnt disappear when the bike cools back down. Its progressively incremental...

and surely something must be wrong for my pushrod to have worn like that?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 07:46:18 PM by lazlokovacs »

kirby1923

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2017, 08:20:19 PM »
^hey patrick,

its more that I set the adjustment on the clutch, go for a ride and then have loads of free play.

The free play doesnt disappear when the bike cools back down. Its progressively incremental...

and surely something must be wrong for my pushrod to have worn like that?

Go to a site like HMB and look at a new one, they will have a flat end like yours.

?

:-)

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2017, 11:17:17 PM »
Never seen a two piece pushrod but have cooked them before, when I used a single plate clutch, they wore too quickly to keep free play,
My prognosis FWIW
Lack of relief spring and frozen pin caused the load, even though you had free play at cable,
It is possible that a new pushrod and pivot pin will be total problem, I have vague memories (old git) of new pushrod solving issue back then BUT
I don't think I'd whack it back together now you're this far apart, may as well look at clutch itself if only for piece of mind.
And having box on bench makes getting pin out easy, gentle persuasion with punch or allen key etc turning pin via split pin hole.

Something to do on a winters night , as Steve says the puck is possibly cooked too, doubt the inner / outer suffered but inspect all closely
I'm also going to vote for intermediate plate being real problem, cheap enough to change anyway.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here