Author Topic: Who do we want to "menace"?  (Read 5582 times)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Who do we want to "menace"?
« on: April 28, 2017, 08:18:52 PM »
June 2017 "Rider" magazine in the mailbox.   Comparison article "Baggers with Swagger", which seems a bit silly but maybe we do like to "swagger" a little, I don't know.  Harley, Indian, and MGX-21.

The opening caption says "... each looking elegant yet menacing in various shades of black".

Am I the only one who thinks this is like a really stupid position to take?   Why do any of us who ride want to look "menacing"?   Don't we have enough "Get Back Whips" and skull face masks and 3" drag pipes making the 6-year-olds cry?   I already know why those guys do it, but I've never run into one here or at a Guzzi rally that's like that, I don't think.

We here are part of the target demographic for these bikes, since the Moto Guzzi is in it.   Is there anyone here who wants to look "menacing" to other people on the road?    Who would it be that you're trying to scare?  Other riders?   Car drivers?   My 5-year-old granddaughter?   Maybe I'm missing something .... ?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Who do we want to "menace"?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 08:35:47 PM »
All I can say is that writers have to come up with a theme to hold their work together, and when you are talking about baggers, they do have an association with certain kinds of riders and certain kinds of attitudes. It may be an unwarranted cliche, but there it is anyway. "Menacing in black"? Well, Darth Vader's outfit wasn't in navy blue, and the bad guys in Roy Rogers' films didn't wear white hats.

As for whether we are part of the targeted demographic? If we are, then somebody's aim is off. I have no interest in cruisers - even if they come from Mandello del Lario. Piaggio may be hoping to extend its appeal to cruiser fans who were open to something different - but not too different - but with all respect to our host, I suspect most MGX-21s will be bought by people who don't already ride a Guzzi.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 08:43:23 PM »
The first thing my wife and daughter said when I rolled in the garage on my 2012 Stelvio was... "that looks like a Batman motorcycle". Is that menacing?
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 09:02:19 PM »
The first thing my wife and daughter said when I rolled in the garage on my 2012 Stelvio was... "that looks like a Batman motorcycle". Is that menacing?

Depends on whether you're Commissioner Gordon or The Penguin, I suppose ....

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 09:02:19 PM »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 09:14:03 PM »
#1 reason I don't read any M/C mags, they don't pertain to me.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 09:23:41 PM »
#1 reason I don't read any M/C mags, they don't pertain to me.

I'm starting to think they don't pertain to me either.   I just dumped my AMA membership over the content of their magazine, and I think I'll see what "Rider" says when I write to them.

I'm OK with articles about motorcycles, cruisers, scooters, riding in the city, riding in the country, things I enjoy, or things I haven't tried yet, or things I've tried and don't enjoy.

But I'm sure not going to spend money to read about posing and threatening and being a fake badass, using a motorcycle as an excuse ... I can buy old copies of "Easyriders" on eBay if I want to indulge in that sort of fantasy ...

Lannis
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:29:15 PM by Lannis »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 09:24:59 PM »
Hey, I don't think I need a moto to look menacing...or maybe I mean scary!

Maybe smile more?   Wait, though, as I remember, that makes it WORSE ... !    :wink:   :laugh:

Lannis

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 09:33:24 PM »
 Luap owns an MGX 21 , he has been riding Guzzies for years . Says it is his favorite motorcycle ever .

Dusty

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 09:42:29 PM »
Apparently "menacing" sells, and has done so for some time. Just look at the styling trend for nearly all top selling cars and trucks over the past 15 year of so, and you will see headlights and grilles that have taken on the "frown" or narrow eye appearance. And bikes have simply followed that trend. It seems we have been educated or brainwashed into thinking that we need to look menacing in order to be modern. Add your own scowl as you toodle along, and my oh my.
My 2 cents.
JD
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5
the rest are all gone.....

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 09:47:10 PM »
Guilty!!

Well , the Phantom was the most menacing thing I've ever seen  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 09:48:58 PM »
Well , the Phantom was the most menacing thing I've ever seen  :laugh:

Dusty

If you're "The Ghost Who Walks" with a pair of .45 ACPs, you can look menacing all you want .... at least to pirates and slave-traders!

Lannis

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 09:54:47 PM »
I prefer to fly under the radar :laugh:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 09:56:37 PM »
git offa my lawn! 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Penderic

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 10:19:55 PM »
Those big evil tailgating cars with the windows that you cant see into.

:shocked:

I let em pass and then give them the anti-menacing appropriate gesture ....

:tongue:

pete roper

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 10:58:05 PM »
I occasionally catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror and am horrified! Who is this fat, bald old fart?! If I can menace myself what hope do other people have?

Menacing people! I purse my lips and protrude my tongue slightly and exhale with gusto!

Arse!

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 02:05:25 AM »
I got over the "menacing" thing in the '80s. I drove to St Pete, Fla to visit some childhood friends, and see some of the neighborhoods I lived in as a young adult. My BFF had a really nice Triumph Bonneville chopper. Extended front springer, Santee oil tank, coffin gas tank and Savior frame, with a badass paint job, and loud exhaust. He tossed me the keys, and left for work. I delighted myself with a ride around the suburbs of Pinellas Park. I pulled up next to a station wagon full of kids. They all looked over at me and the bike, fascinated.  I stared back, and gave them my most evil scowl, revving the Triumph. Instead of quaking with fear, the kids all started laughing and pointing their fingers at me. I knew then , my future as a "biker" was probably very limited.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 02:25:17 AM »
I occasionally catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror and am horrified! Who is this fat, bald old fart?! If I can menace myself what hope do other people have?

Menacing people! I purse my lips and protrude my tongue slightly and exhale with gusto!

Arse!

Pete!! You sley me😂😂😂!

When ever I pull along side a car with kids, I always give them a 👍👍. They love it and often return the gesture 😀.

I'm such a bad-ass!   😊😊
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 04:37:08 AM »

Arse!

Aw crap, you made me spit up my coffee!  :coffee:

My answer was much less creative. I was going to say Dennis. After all Dennis the Menace was the original menace......

John Henry

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 07:18:24 AM »
I'm in Melbourne and riding a push bike [emoji468] with my son a lot since arriving.

Today we rode into town, on the way back a woman with a little girl in tow crosses right in front of me.

I ring the tiny bell on my bike just for fun. Someone woman screams "GET F'd" at the top of her voice.

My first bicycle road rage experience for a while [emoji41][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2017, 07:37:36 AM »
I'm in Melbourne and riding a push bike [emoji468] with my son a lot since arriving.

Today we rode into town, on the way back a woman with a little girl in tow crosses right in front of me.

I ring the tiny bell on my bike just for fun. Someone woman screams "GET F'd" at the top of her voice.

My first bicycle road rage experience for a while [emoji41][emoji23]

I live in a place that's nice but not perfect.   One of the dark, seamy sides is the way local people treat bicyclists.

And I mean good bicyclists, not whales or kids wobbling all over the road on a beach bike, or groups of entitled "elite" bicyclists knowingly using up the whole lane on a "I'll show YOU how to share the road", but people cutting smoothly down the shoulder of the road, not wobbling, not in anybody's way.

Most people here have no idea how to control their vehicle, or where the fenders are.   When I see a bicyclist ahead who is riding properly down the right side of the road, I don't even slow down.   I ease over a bit, give him his space, he's given me mine already, and I just pass him in my own lane. 

Normally, though, people in the car will NOT pass the bicyclist ... they ride behind him, holding up traffic, quietly cussing, and when there's no one coming the other way they swing out to the left, almost over to the other ditch, blowing the horn and shouting out the window as they pass.

"Get off the road, faggot!"
"Find a sidewalk to ride on.   The road is for cars!"
or something similar.

Riding a bicycle here is like walking through a field of pissed-off gorillas armed with sticks.   You haven't got a chance if one of them decides he's had enough ....

Normal people can turn into SUCH temporary badasses from the strapped in safety of their car or truck ..

Lannis

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 07:45:06 AM »
I just turned 59 today and I am a BAAADDD ASS, I got out of the shower and in the mirror I saw my ass and it terrified me, now I'm going to go out and do my honey do list and after that I'm going out for a Beer and look menacing :boozing: :cool: :bike-037:
P.S. Subject to change. :thewife:
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2017, 07:45:23 AM »
I live in a place that's nice but not perfect.   One of the dark, seamy sides is the way local people treat bicyclists.

And I mean good bicyclists, not whales or kids wobbling all over the road on a beach bike, or groups of entitled "elite" bicyclists knowingly using up the whole lane on a "I'll show YOU how to share the road", but people cutting smoothly down the shoulder of the road, not wobbling, not in anybody's way.

Most people here have no idea how to control their vehicle, or where the fenders are.   When I see a bicyclist ahead who is riding properly down the right side of the road, I don't even slow down.   I ease over a bit, give him his space, he's given me mine already, and I just pass him in my own lane. 

Normally, though, people in the car will NOT pass the bicyclist ... they ride behind him, holding up traffic, quietly cussing, and when there's no one coming the other way they swing out to the left, almost over to the other ditch, blowing the horn and shouting out the window as they pass.

"Get off the road, faggot!"
"Find a sidewalk to ride on.   The road is for cars!"
or something similar.

Riding a bicycle here is like walking through a field of pissed-off gorillas armed with sticks.   You haven't got a chance if one of them decides he's had enough ....

Normal people can turn into SUCH temporary badasses from the strapped in safety of their car or truck ..

Lannis
Hi Lannis, no motorist involved here, just the woman & kid walking in front of me .

Plus  Some other peeps waiting at a tram stop too so not sure who screamed at me - I thought it quite funny [emoji23]

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2017, 08:25:56 AM »
Talk about menacing. Several years ago, I was on my black BMW  :evil: wearing black leathers riding down a country road. Suddenly I see a tow headed boy, about 3 or 4 running out into the road waving his arms like there's an emergency. I thought there must be some kind of emergency for him to run down a scary looking guy like me, and see his mom laying in the yard. I thought, "Uh oh." Maybe she's had a stroke or something..
He looked up at me when I got stopped, and he said, "Take me for a ride.."  :smiley: :smiley: She was just asleep, and he was making a break for it.
Heros are born, not made..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 08:37:10 AM »
Talk about menacing. Several years ago, I was on my black BMW  :evil: wearing black leathers riding down a country road. Suddenly I see a tow headed boy, about 3 or 4 running out into the road waving his arms like there's an emergency. I thought there must be some kind of emergency for him to run down a scary looking guy like me, and see his mom laying in the yard. I thought, "Uh oh." Maybe she's had a stroke or something..
He looked up at me when I got stopped, and he said, "Take me for a ride.."  :smiley: :smiley: She was just asleep, and he was making a break for it.
Heros are born, not made..
Lol was that a two headed boy Chuck ??

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2017, 08:48:30 AM »
Lol was that a two headed boy Chuck ??

Probably the boy-foot bear with teaks of Chan.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2017, 09:34:18 AM »
Probably the boy-foot bear with teaks of Chan.

Or jo jo the dogface boy
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2017, 09:36:40 AM »
QUOTE:  "Who do we want to "menace?"

Why...."Dennis-the-Menance" of course!!  :laugh: :grin: :wink:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2017, 11:37:38 AM »
Riding a motorcycle is my happy place. I wear full-faced helmets just to hide my goofy grin...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2017, 12:19:16 PM »
Whenever my wife and I ride our Vespas together, people smile and wave at us! Pedestrians, people in cars, other motorcyclists, women and children... What the heck? That's not the menacing effect we hoped to achieve...
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2017, 12:47:04 PM »
We don't need any accoutrements to be menacing.  Our natural faces are enough to make a six year old cry.  Thank goddess for full face helmets.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here