Author Topic: Pro/Con For Adding Luggage to Anni.  (Read 12110 times)

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
Pro/Con For Adding Luggage to Anni.
« on: August 26, 2017, 12:34:09 PM »
So I haven't gotten my bike yet, but in my excitement, I can't help but look for useful farkles.  Many kind people have suggested luggage, to make my little Anni more useful, so I've started looking into options.  If money were no object, she'd get custom leather bags to match her seat, but that's not the gonna happen.  Below, is a link to the canvas with leather strap bags I like.  These are still very expensive, but I like the retro look, and the company has a good reputation.   

https://www.hepco-shop.de/produkte/gepaeck/legacy?___store=english

If I scrimp, and save to purchase these, or similar, what connection option should I use.  C-Bow, or Traditional?  Whilst trolling Revzilla, I came upon these cheap universal bag supports.  Cheap being the operative word, but since they'd theoretically be hidden, does it matter?  What retro luggage do you like/use?  How do you mount it you your beauty?   

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/street-steel-universal-saddlebag-supports

I don't want modern looking luggage.  It may be more useful, larger, etc..., but she's only for putting around town on errands, or a Sunday twisty break, not as a long distance hauler.  Yet.   :tongue: 

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 08:06:47 AM by Guzzi Gal »
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Psychopasta

• Gosling
Re: Pro/Con For Adding Luggage to Anni.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 01:00:16 PM »
Hi GG,

I really like the bags you found. I also like the antiqued look for bags, so I may get myself some too.

That said, I don't really follow your question. The webpage you gave gives lots of mounting options, C-Bow, slingover etc. What is it you want a view on? Whether c-bow is better than the others, or what?

- Pasta
V50 Monza 1981
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone Special 2023
Honda Goldwing 2019
Aprilia Tuareg 660 2023
Ancient A65 Bitsa, in pieces

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 01:52:10 PM »
Those bags look great.

For my Anniversario I have on order the Comet bags in glossy black fiberglass from Craven Industries in the UK.  I plan to mount them onto the hepcobecker loop racks, using possibly the touratech puck system.

I like the vintage look of the Cravens, and they look to me to be the right size for the bike, and not very wide which is good for lane splitting here.

Last night I stopped by the local taco truck on the way home to pick up dinner for wife and myself.  Ended up cramming a bag full of eight tacos, lime slices, radish slices, and some hot sauces, all inside my Dianese airflow jacket.  Can't wait to get some luggage.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 02:02:13 PM by Socalrob »

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 01:55:47 PM »
.... I don't want modern looking luggage.  It may be more useful, larger, etc..., but she's only for putting around town on errands, or a Sunday twisty break, not as a long distance hauler.  Yet.

For your stated purpose, why not consider a rear top case.  They're generally lockable and removable.  Plus, they don't increase the width profile of the bike.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 01:55:47 PM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 04:34:12 PM »
As a counter point.. I don't want a top case taking me to the scene of the crash.  :smiley:  :boozing: Too many years of throwing away dirt bikes, I guess..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 05:12:45 PM »
You can't beat HB hard bags   . not leather tho..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 05:23:59 PM »
Hi GG,

I really like the bags you found. I also like the antiqued look for bags, so I may get myself some too.

That said, I don't really follow your question. The webpage you gave gives lots of mounting options, C-Bow, slingover etc. What is it you want a view on? Whether c-bow is better than the others, or what?

- Pasta

I guess I was asking if anyone had experience with the installed options, and if you use throw-over bags, what do you use to keep them from kicking in.  I want something that won't require removing the passenger grip, unless it's replaced by is similarly shaped chrome grip/rack combo.  I'm looking for the least intrusive, without the bags doesn't look ugly, hardware.     

With all the very knowledgeable, and creative people here, I figured someone would know "just the thing" to finish her off.  Brainstorming often brings the best results.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:14:20 PM by Guzzi Gal »
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 06:35:31 PM »
Moto Machines is the US importer for H-B: http://www.motomachines.com/  Lots to look at there.

I have used both systems. FWIW, the older style brackets give you a wider variety of bags that can be used and is a more robust mounting system. These are the rectangular brackets you see on the web. These brackets give you the ability of larger capacity bags than do the C-Bows. In all honesty 21 liters is not very much if you run to the grocery store for a few supplies along with whatever you need to carry anyway. The hard luggage generally seal well against rain and can be locked. Some of their leather bags can also be locked. Regardless of which mounting system you choose, the bags will lock to the mount.

The C-Bows are the nicest looking without bags attached, but you get spoiled quickly with some space. The only time the bags come off my bikes is to work on them or to clean them. So, the aesthetics of the brackets really take a back seat to function.

There are a few bags that are only available for use with the C-Bow mounts.

The most popular bags for the older system are the Juniors. The 30L bags would look better on your bike than the 40's and would be very suitable for everyday hauling of stuff with enough room to be practical.

The bags you mentioned are, (I think), only available as C-Bow mounting and I don't **think** they can be locked closed. OTOH, they would look great on your bike, but you may be disappointed in the amount of space they have. I also think they are some type of material rather than leather. (A brown leather bag would look fantastic on your bike.)

I put C-Bows on my 1400 Eldorado because it was the only game in town other than the very expensive and small bags Guzzi sells for my bike. But, I added a small bracket that I could put a nylon strap through to provide added support when I intended to put a bigger load in them. They might have been fine, but I was not comfortable with the mounting. I recently adapted the factory hard bags and now have the others gathering dust in the garage. There is a lot to say for lockable hard storage, and I suppose I have become spoiled over the years. I like the ease of use of hard bags over buckles and straps and such.

So that is my 2 cents of the pros and cons of either. 

John Henry   

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 06:47:09 PM »
For YOUR stated use either C-bows or a small topcase.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 06:47:58 PM »
A friend of mine just purchased his 2nd set of these bags and loves them.
The first set he added to a Sportster, and this set goes on a Guzzi Stone. They're adaptable to various models as well. I've seen them on his Sportster, and they're slim, look great, with good capacity.
https://www.vikingbags.com/harley-sportster-1200-custom-spear-shock-cutout-motorcycle-saddlebags-5767-prd1.htm?src=prn&utm_source=yotpo&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=social_share#write_review

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 06:57:05 PM by NC Steve »
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 07:15:50 PM »
I put custom painted retro Buco bags on my V7 Special.  Mounted on C-Bow system, with their brackets bolted to the back of the bags.  Easy on and off, and the bike still looks clean with them removed.  With the C-Bow brackets they sell separately, you can mount ANY bag to their system.

Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 07:47:44 PM »
I put custom painted retro Buco bags on my V7 Special.  Mounted on C-Bow system, with their brackets bolted to the back of the bags.  Easy on and off, and the bike still looks clean with them removed.  With the C-Bow brackets they sell separately, you can mount ANY bag to their system.

If retro is what you want, my preference would be something like this.  Get some Shoei, Bates, Wixom, Buco, or other period hard bags.  I'd lean toward Wixom or simple Bates.  Have them painted to match the bike.  You'll probably end up the paint job ahead of new ones (which you'd want to color coordinate, anyway).  Bags from that era are roomy, don't leak, and mount with pipe brackets to whatever brackets you get (or make).  I'd only fit a top pack after the side bags weren't enough.

I'd steer away from any bag that needs a "liner" or insert to be watertight.  That's an admission of poor design.  I also favor locking latches that also operate lockless, a hinge on one end rather than two latches (better at not losing the lid as you travel), and a toploader.  They should be large enough to carry emergency gear and rain togs, which you'll always have on board, and still have room for groceries. 

I've got large Bates bags on my '76 Convert.  They're as retro as it gets, but I put them there in 1978 and they are still watertight.  They carry my tools and gear and still have room for a couple 12 packs of RC Cola and a bag of groceries.  I've got a humongous top pack too, but I only mount it when I'm hitting the road.  Because I don't like weight behind my rear wheel, I went with a solo saddle and put the top pack in the pillion location.  It doubles as a back rest.

$0.02

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 07:49:53 PM »
I have the Ventura rack system on my V7.  I prefer not to alter the side lines of the bike-but I do like the look of the H-B Jr bags.  It looks "correct" for a V7 IMO.

What I like about my set-up is it's only there when I need it.  Otherwise, a small piece plugs in and it's just a small rear rack that looks good.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Strada

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 08:05:12 PM »
So I haven't gotten my bike yet, but in my excitement, I can't help but look for useful farkles.  Many kind people have suggested luggage, to make my little Anni more useful, so I've started looking into options.  If money were no object, she'd get custom leather bags to match her seat, but that's not the gonna happen.  Below, is a link to the canvas, and leather bags I like.  These are still very expensive, but I like the retro look, and the company has a good reputation.   

https://www.hepco-shop.de/produkte/gepaeck/legacy?___store=english

I don't want modern looking luggage.  It may be more useful, larger, etc..., but she's only for putting around town on errands, or a Sunday twisty break, not as a long distance hauler.  Yet.   :tongue:

I agree with you about preferring classic-looking luggage to perhaps more useful modern-styled luggage. ;)

I've been looking at the Hepco & Becker Legacy line as well. I'm thinking canvas saddle bags and C-Bow mounts. The C-Bow mounts are pretty unobtrusive when the bags aren't mounted and don't noticeably distract from the look of the bike. I just can't decide between the "large" and the "medium" canvas bags - leaning toward the "large". I put both of those descriptions in quotation marks because in comparison to most of the modern-style bags that are available these bags are both small.

I also like the small leather bag that H&B offer as part of this line. I'm not sure how (or if) it works/mounts with the C-Bow system.

I'm getting mine from Todd at GuzziTech:
http://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/h-b-legacy-courier-bags/

(My bike currently - before luggage. You can see why I also want a 'classic look'.)

free img

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 10:47:45 PM »
To start with, I like baggers, but do have a spft spot for a naked bikes as well.

My Guzzie's all run bags. My HD, no bags, but I did put a small fender fitting rack behind the solo seat that I can bungie my lunch cooler to.

I was sorta looking for maybe a trunk rather than bags. Just something to toss a few item from the store in. Maybe something like this might work better for you. Keeping the basic look of the bike.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/831-899/saddlemen-standard-sport-tunnel-bag

Just a thought??
Tom
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 10:56:08 PM by Tom H »
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2017, 10:50:02 PM »
I agree with you about preferring classic-looking luggage to perhaps more useful modern-styled luggage. ;)

I've been looking at the Hepco & Becker Legacy line as well. I'm thinking canvas saddle bags and C-Bow mounts. The C-Bow mounts are pretty unobtrusive when the bags aren't mounted and don't noticeably distract from the look of the bike. I just can't decide between the "large" and the "medium" canvas bags - leaning toward the "large". I put both of those descriptions in quotation marks because in comparison to most of the modern-style bags that are available these bags are both small.

I also like the small leather bag that H&B offer as part of this line. I'm not sure how (or if) it works/mounts with the C-Bow system.

(My bike currently - before luggage. You can see why I also want a 'classic look'.)
:thumb:

I understand completely!  All that chrome screams traditional, and that's exactly why I purchased the Anniversario (Anni for short).  I like your side pouch too.  My scooter's under-seat storage is 22 liters, big enough for my full face.  The large Legacy is half that, so I wouldn't want to go smaller.
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2017, 11:03:33 PM »
To start with, I like baggers, but do have a soft spot for a naked bikes as well.

I love baggers.  A lot!  I never was into the nakeds, let alone retro-nakeds.  I though for sure I was going to end up with a full dress Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (still want), NC700 (if it weren't so tall + love the "trunk"), or a BMW K something.  Then I saw the V7 III Stone, and right next to it, a blue Special.  That was it.

Several months later I purchased about the most retro-naked being made.  Go figure.    :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:23:32 PM by Guzzi Gal »
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2017, 11:11:23 PM »
Last night I stopped by the local taco truck on the way home to pick up dinner for wife and myself.  Ended up cramming a bag full of eight tacos, lime slices, radish slices, and some hot sauces, all inside my Dianese airflow jacket.  Can't wait to get some luggage.

HA!  Yup, I'd do the same for good Mexican food.  I keep an older model of this backpack in my scooter, just in case what I get won't fit under the seat.  The straps aren't as thick, but they still work in a pinch. 

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005RY3NFS/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2EVNM6FSR3MO7&colid=25PPUB5QYJMK4

I love the black Craven Comet Panniers.  Very sexy!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:20:35 PM by Guzzi Gal »
"Miri" and Mori"

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2017, 11:12:20 PM »
We've got 4 bikes currently and only the wife's Ducati is naked.

All three of mine have not only sidecases, but topcases too.

Partly that's because much of my riding was always practical (commuting, gym, groceries, or beer, or camping).

If you might see that use I totally get bags and cases.

Then again if not but if you just want to carry water, a camera, extra layers, etc. you might still want them.

I dunno, part of me wishes I'd gone C-Bow for less intrusive racks. But part of me is sure I'd almost never ride without the cases/bags anyway

They're ALSO good if you decide to carry precious cargo on the passenger seat. Especially the topcases.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2017, 11:33:07 PM »
With the bike V7 style, I thought you might prefer the stock naked style look. Since you like baggers, then get a set of side cases. My EV just carried 3 12oz 8pks of sodas and a mess of groceries. My HD will not do that. So I do like having bags.

I don't have a good opinion on retro or what style bags you would like. But I will say, figure out what you may want to carry and then decide on the bags. If you just want to toss in some gloves and personal items, a set of leather old school bags would look great. But if you plan to stop at this and that stores and need it to all fit, a larger less "cool" looking bag may be the better choice.

I have a set of police bags on my Eldo. Look cool but don't hold S@#$. On the plus side though, I can get a cold 9 pk plus a 8# bag of ice in the left bag. It will stay cold all night :grin:

Enjoy your choice!!
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2017, 12:03:24 AM »
They're ALSO good if you decide to carry precious cargo on the passenger seat. Especially the topcases.

Your pic made my heart melt.  Too cute!  :1:

Our youngest is 6, and she's petrified if the scooters go over 3 mph on the 50 yard ride to the mailbox.  I do like the top case as a backrest idea.  The only tail luggage rack I like, so far, is the chrome OEM one.  The H&B just doesn't do it for me with that extra loop over the top, but it's probably more useful because of it.  I also haven't found a tail bag/top case with the look I like yet.             
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 12:04:13 AM by Guzzi Gal »
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2017, 12:19:03 AM »
If you just want to toss in some gloves and personal items, a set of leather old school bags would look great. But if you plan to stop at this and that stores and need it to all fit, a larger less "cool" looking bag may be the better choice.

I love the thought of hitting the open road, and heading for points unknown.  Not on this bike though, and not whilst I still have 3 young kids at home.  Anni will probably always be a tiddler, and not a commuter, shopper, or traveler.  If I can put a plastic grocery bag, full of whatever, on each side, I'm good.   

These are on the right track, and they are over twice a large as the large H&B Legacy.   

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/packanimal/motorcycle-saddle-bags-and-tool-rolls?lang=fr
Modify message
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 08:07:43 AM by Guzzi Gal »
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Strada

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2017, 03:06:18 AM »
These are on the right track, and they are over twice a large as the large H&B Legacy.   

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/packanimal/motorcycle-saddle-bags-and-tool-rolls?lang=fr

Have you seen these? On an Anniversario nonetheless!

c.f. http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=90638.msg1431946#msg1431946

Unfortunately elvisboy77 never said what they were/where he got them.

I kind of like the look of the kickstarter bags (Pack Animal) that you found better.
http://packanimal.co

But I still think I'll go with the H-B Legacy Bags. The C-Bow system is just so nice, and I'm not doing long trips on this bike. 2-3 days at most.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 03:07:24 AM by Strada »

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2017, 04:03:54 AM »
The Legacy stuff would look great on a Stone or Special, but anything would ruin the beauty of an Anniversario. Resist temptation. If you need to transport anything, get a cheap soft back and bungee it behind you.

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2017, 08:17:51 AM »
Unfortunately elvisboy77 never said what they were/where he got them.

I kind of like the look of the kickstarter bags (Pack Animal) that you found better.

I'll have to give his post a bump, and ask him. 
I was going to sus out if Pack Animal had actually gone into production in the morning, but you did the work for me.  Thank you!

I just found these on Amazon, and the price is certainly right, even for a short term solution.  If you scroll down, there is another style for a little less. 

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Leather-Saddlebags-Saddle-Panniers/dp/B074JF4VX3?ref=hnd_dp_car_mba_6
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 03:46:56 PM by Guzzi Gal »
"Miri" and Mori"

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2017, 11:01:15 AM »
Those things in reply #10 look good ! And BTW GG, your bike isn't exactly "little".
A guy gave his the berries yesterday next to me with a slim girl on the back in Italy somewhere, now granted I had 50 kg or so of gear on the back, but so did he, (his was just packaged nicer), and I tell ya' what, I don't reckon I could have beaten him to  130 km/h
Needless to say I didn't even try, but just sayin'.

Offline Gootsz

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2017, 03:03:46 PM »
If yu like the c-bow mounts on the bike. You can buy the bag mounts from moto as listed above and make any bag set into c-bows.
Micky
Gootsz
Satellite Beach, FL
2009 GRISO
2014 CUSTOM
1975 BMW R90/6
THERE ARE NO WINNERS IN ROOM FULL OF LOSERS

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 04:33:35 PM »
If anyone is reluctant to add hardware to the bike, I've found these work really well. Wolfman Beta. I believe they also make a smaller version. Three mounting points. Solid, stable, very quick & easy on & off.

Otherwise, the Kreiga bags work well. The US30 fits the seat better, but the US40 carries more - covers the rack & seat, but fits packed lever arch files easily. Waterproof. The mounting system straps onto the frame &/or the rear rack. I find that I don't like to leave the straps on without the bag (just dangling) so remove them when not in use. Only a little bit of a pain. I have found them useful on occasions. Pity about the price. Should anyone like photos, I can oblige.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

twowings

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2017, 05:31:59 PM »
Here are some very nice ones AND you get to support a 100% female-owned business!

https://motorbikewriter.com/divorce-long-ride-inspires-naz-bags/

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2017, 06:53:18 PM »
Those are nice bags, and they come with a good story too! 
"Miri" and Mori"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here