Author Topic: New Member - 1st Street Bike?  (Read 4866 times)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: New Member - 1st Street Bike?
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2017, 05:33:03 PM »
Well awesome. Good luck with your quest.

Have fun.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2017, 06:32:25 PM »
Many thanks.  Checked them out today; especially the V7's, V9 and Griso. 
Even being slightly tall the V7 was perfect.  Just fit better as is (although all three were remarkable with the Griso just a little more aggressive).
There were also some unique V7 variations, but just liked the basic Stone the best.
The dealership seemed to really understand that it's my first bike, that I really don't know what I'm doing and that there's nothing wrong with that.  Sort of helped to guide me exactly where it seemed like I wanted to go.
Can't say a bad thing about anyone, but I think I was maybe being too much effort at one place.  It was like when I call up a company for some customer service and no one's available because they're in a meeting about customer service.  There's always a chance that I'm just ****** up, but nothing wrong with that either.
The other shop would be more convenient although both are pretty inconvenient.  Just happened to have an appt. in Denville so a quick shot across Rt. 80 and I was there.
Not entirely ruling out a Suzuki SV650 or the soon-to-be US release of the XSR700, but I think it'll be worth the hassle to go with the Moto Guzzi rather than just getting a bike to get a bike.

If your not ruling out Suzuki's check out DL650's. Great do all bikes that can be had well equipped on the secondary market for super cheap. Reliable as anvils.

My 1st touring rig was a Moto Guzzi Quota. It was replaced by a Suzuki DR650 (yep a DR650) as my next touring rig for 2 years and that was replaced with a DL650. The DL's are easy on fuel handle well and little 650 is a great motor to flog the piss out of and know to be bullet proof.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2017, 06:58:30 PM »
So Cory what did you settle on???

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2017, 07:01:18 PM »
Many thanks.  Checked them out today; especially the V7's, V9 and Griso. 
Even being slightly tall the V7 was perfect.  Just fit better as is (although all three were remarkable with the Griso just a little more aggressive).
There were also some unique V7 variations, but just liked the basic Stone the best.
The dealership seemed to really understand that it's my first bike, that I really don't know what I'm doing and that there's nothing wrong with that.  Sort of helped to guide me exactly where it seemed like I wanted to go.
Can't say a bad thing about anyone, but I think I was maybe being too much effort at one place.  It was like when I call up a company for some customer service and no one's available because they're in a meeting about customer service.  There's always a chance that I'm just ****** up, but nothing wrong with that either.
The other shop would be more convenient although both are pretty inconvenient.  Just happened to have an appt. in Denville so a quick shot across Rt. 80 and I was there.
Not entirely ruling out a Suzuki SV650 or the soon-to-be US release of the XSR700, but I think it'll be worth the hassle to go with the Moto Guzzi rather than just getting a bike to get a bike.

The Suzuki and Yamaha are nice bikes.  I have a FZ-07.  They are both budget bikes with a lot of plastics.  You have to maintain the chain and deal with a radiator.

The Moto Guzzi V7 is air cooled, drive shaft, easy maintenance because everything is easy to get to.  The specials really are special as well.  If you don't have the money, buy what you can afford and be happy that you are riding. 

I don't know why there are guys here trying to push you into more bike than you are interested in. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2017, 07:01:18 PM »

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2017, 07:12:58 PM »
Stick with a new or newish Guzzi small block.  It doesn't make sense to me to get a 500lb plus bike to start out with, yes many have done it, but I don't think its ideal, not when you have the option of sweet v7, v9 available.  Good luck!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2017, 11:27:07 PM »
The Moto Guzzi V7 is air cooled, drive shaft, easy maintenance because everything is easy to get to.  The Specials really are special as well.  If you don't have the money, buy what you can afford and be happy that you are riding.   

What he said.   :thumb:
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2017, 04:58:08 AM »
The Suzuki and Yamaha are nice bikes.  I have a FZ-07.  They are both budget bikes with a lot of plastics.  You have to maintain the chain and deal with a radiator.

The Moto Guzzi V7 is air cooled, drive shaft, easy maintenance because everything is easy to get to.  The specials really are special as well.  If you don't have the money, buy what you can afford and be happy that you are riding. 

I don't know why there are guys here trying to push you into more bike than you are interested in.

I will say the addition of a Scottoiler to my DL650 and in the last 8,000+ miles I have done zero chain maintenance other than top up the oil reservoir every 1500 miles or so with a couple ounces of ATF. Chain is clean as a whistle and if reports are even remotely it will extend chain life out to easily 30,000 miles and more likely 40K+.

Having both chain and shaft driven bikes the Scottoiler really leveled  the maintenance playing field.

As for having to deal with a radiator that technology has been around for a few years now. Maintenance is also easy. Every couple of years pull a drain plug and drain old coolant. Reinstall plug and then refill with fresh coolant. Really the only thing easier on the Guzzi's are valve lash inspection/adjustments because of the way the motor is arranged.   

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:05:22 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2017, 06:10:35 AM »
If you are looking at a bike to follow a passion, you will just be disappointed with one of the oriental makes as fine as they are on reliability.  I have had my share and basically can't remember anything about them once they are out of the driveway to the next owner.  With that said, MG has not been exactly trouble free, so I recommend a new or very near new one with the 2 year warranty.  The bikes I remember are my Harleys (say what you want, but they leave an impression), my airhead beemer, and this MG.  They seemed like they were put together by people with a specific goal and a real passion.  Just my humble opinion, and good luck.
Blue Guzz

Offline Cory

• New Egg
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2017, 06:41:33 AM »
If you are looking at a bike to follow a passion, you will just be disappointed with one of the oriental makes as fine as they are on reliability.  I have had my share and basically can't remember anything about them once they are out of the driveway to the next owner.  With that said, MG has not been exactly trouble free, so I recommend a new or very near new one with the 2 year warranty.  The bikes I remember are my Harleys (say what you want, but they leave an impression), my airhead beemer, and this MG.  They seemed like they were put together by people with a specific goal and a real passion.  Just my humble opinion, and good luck.
Thanks and for those reasons already decided on a new V7.  Already assembling my safety gear.

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2017, 06:53:39 AM »
OP, your path mirrors mine. Lots of time hopping suzukis about in Asuza canyon before I turned 20. Developed coordination of the machine, but spent no time on asphalt ever. Fast forward 25 years and HAD to be on a bike. Ended up on a well sorted big block guzzi with +20k miles on it as my first road bike. It's been a blast. I respect all of Pete's points regarding technology, but in some ways, having missed the last 3 decades of technological development in real time, being on a machine that is entirely rudimentary, yet eminently soulful and sexy, seems a great way to re-engage the sport. I'm constantly looking for excuses to ride, and I can chase down any issues as they arise. As I said, my machine had been sorted and well maintained, so I've had no real issues. As I've learned what it is, I'm realizing what it's not and I'll compensate on my next bike. Going for a Griso or a spine or a loop or a V*, I've got a wonderful frame of reference.

I'm certain a V9-V7 would stir your soul, give you and your bride a wonderful baptism in a manageable package. Then move it when you've discovered how motorcycling will be fitting into your lives long term....move up to a milemuncher with luggage, or a firebreather, or a classic town bike.

Be sure to check the swap meet here on the board. There are a couple of low mileage Stones.

another suggestion for a bang for the buck Guzzi baptism

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=88125.0

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 06:54:17 AM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2017, 09:26:15 AM »
Thanks and for those reasons already decided on a new V7.  Already assembling my safety gear.

Fantastic!  👍🏻  I have had my V7 III for 11 days now, and could not be happier.  She is a dream to ride.   :bike-037:  Welcome to the tribe! 
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2017, 11:36:42 AM »
Cory

I like my V-7II Stone .   Had to make my Memphis Shield mounts , but me and the wife ride it together just fine .   I'm 5'11" / 195# wife is 5'7" 150# , and the comfort level is just fine (wife don't even start wiggling around for the first hour and a half)  :laugh:.   

I did add a luggage rack , saddle bags , and trunk w/padded rest.   

2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline wittangamo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2017, 04:43:14 PM »
Got here too late to influence the decision, but as someone who has owned all three I think the V9 Roamer is the pick of the litter.

My V7 felt small and occasionally left me wanting more power, though the III is sportier. The Griso had loads of power but was heavy and tall in the saddle for me at 5-foot-9.

The V9 is the perfect compromise; long legs for touring, handling is fine unless really pushing the limits, and the ergos after the footpeg relocation are just right for me. The wide power band makes it easy to ride in all conditions and easy to get used to. It also has ABS and traction control for those “what have I gotten myself into” moments, features the Griso lacks.

That said, a new V7 is a fine get-back-in-the-saddle bike, and you will have a ball with it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 04:45:22 PM by wittangamo »
Deceive, Inveigle and Obfuscate

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here