Author Topic: My gas tank is so small...  (Read 3288 times)

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
Re: My gas tank is so small...
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2021, 08:27:11 PM »
This is one of the subtle, but highly practical, reasons that lead me to the V7 small block.  A good gas tank size.   More like an old BMW Airhead. 

Franky, I wish the V7 tank was even bigger.  More like 6.5 gallons. 
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline et18

• Hatchling
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2021, 08:34:28 PM »
Brings back memories of n 98 magna 750. Tank looked huge, but it was all a big shell for the giant air box, for the 4 thirsty carbs. That bike would hit reserve at 80 miles.

I had a similar bike, an '85 Suzuki Madura 1200.  That bike was on reserve before 75 miles and was dry by 95 miles.  Huge V4, 4 huge carbs and a tiny tank.  Fill up every other day just commuting and maybe 3X on an average Sunday ride.   I sold it to buy a ZG1000 Concours w/ a 300 mile range.
2014 California Touring
1994 BMW R1100RS
2001 BMW R1200C

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2021, 11:19:47 PM »
This is one of the subtle, but highly practical, reasons that lead me to the V7 small block.  A good gas tank size.   More like an old BMW Airhead. 

Franky, I wish the V7 tank was even bigger.  More like 6.5 gallons.
I had a a R75/5 with a 6.3 gal tank. That bike was good for 300 miles between fill ups.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Kremmen

• New Egg
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2021, 11:48:48 PM »
Saw this Indian Scout at the local CYCLE GEAR store down in the Valley on Friday.  The owner said his gas tank is so small, he has to carry a spare Roto-PAX gas container with him all the time!!!

He said he is lucky to get 100 miles out of a tank!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :huh: :huh: :huh: Funny...the tank looks much bigger than it actually is... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I get 90-110kms out of my Sport1100i. I'm jealous.  :tongue:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2021, 11:48:48 PM »

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2021, 12:02:52 AM »
I get 90-110kms out of my Sport1100i. I'm jealous.  :tongue:
Hasn't a Sport 1100i got a 19 litre tank? If so your bike has some serious tuning problems.

Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline Kremmen

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2021, 01:16:51 AM »
Hasn't a Sport 1100i got a 19 litre tank? If so your bike has some serious tuning problems.

Yes it does, and yes it does.  :embarrassed: I can get twice that range out of it on a good day but only if it's somewhere like the Nullarbor... :azn:

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2021, 01:36:00 AM »
Yes it does, and yes it does.  :embarrassed: I can get twice that range out of it on a good day but only if it's somewhere like the Nullarbor... :azn:

Mind you, fuel economy drops like a stone if you do a lot of short trips with a lot of cold starts and time on the enrichening map. Hows your bike actually run?

Ciao 

Offline Kremmen

• New Egg
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2021, 01:47:25 AM »
Mind you, fuel economy drops like a stone if you do a lot of short trips with a lot of cold starts and time on the enrichening map. Hows your bike actually run?

Ciao

Yeah, there's a few variables like that. Quite well provided it's *very* warmed up. It's got a Jefferies MyECU in it which I've yet to properly dial in, but it runs no worse than the OEM unit (which went 'pfffft' in 2012 or so).

I do do too much city riding, so that's on me. I've never actually been able to shove more than about 12l in it even when running on fumes, too. Think I recall other owners being sceptical about the 19l figure.

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2021, 02:59:17 AM »
Yeah, there's a few variables like that. Quite well provided it's *very* warmed up. It's got a Jefferies MyECU in it which I've yet to properly dial in, but it runs no worse than the OEM unit (which went 'pfffft' in 2012 or so).

I do do too much city riding, so that's on me. I've never actually been able to shove more than about 12l in it even when running on fumes, too. Think I recall other owners being sceptical about the 19l figure.

Wow there's a big difference between 12 and 19. I must admit I was surprised when I read it was 19 litres as I had a good mental picture of the tank as I like them very much as a shape. I have a Myecu that I've never used as I mastered the Guzzidiag and created my own maps for the Daytona engine in my V11. I'd sell the Myecu if anyone is interested. The problem is it can run well on the Clif unit but be too rich. If you can send me the .bin file for the Myecu I can compare it to a std V11 map and see if its any richer or not.

Ciao   
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 03:00:13 AM by lucky phil »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here