Author Topic: How was your day  (Read 505779 times)

oldbike54

Re: How was your' day
« Reply #420 on: October 27, 2013, 12:03:19 PM »
Nick 949 ,
Amazing how your part of Canada resembles my part of Oklahoma . We are a bit warmer here  :D
Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #421 on: October 27, 2013, 12:07:42 PM »
Pretty bike, Nick..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #422 on: October 28, 2013, 02:16:21 AM »
Skin Mechanic
             SealedBall joints ;-T Gotta get me some ;-T
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #423 on: October 28, 2013, 02:53:49 AM »
       Vasco
        re your Sunshine Coast tete-a-tete.
        Mate, if I've tolja once I've tolja a thousantimes, if you're cummin up here go to the World's Best Custard Tart Shop ~; ;D

Seriously though, the roads have not changed that much (since your initial visitation) in a practical sense, for although they are sealed it is only a temporary condition; that is, until the next rain. In your era, most of what are now really good biking roads were dirt, I imagine, or they were in late 85, the year of my appearance here. In that condition, they weren't worth considering and so it is again in the present day, with few exceptions. The Stanley River Road has been "resurfaced" and what was once my favourite fang, is strewn with loose gravel which only time will displace. This road and others have been subject to subsidence too but some nice, albeit short rides survive that have been rebuilt this century with more engineering finesse than the old, pre-1900 cart tracks. I could have shown you some of those, had I known you coming. I would have put off the trip to Bargara to see the grand kids. Honest ;D Well, there's always next time and now you know anyway but about those people who look like, well you know, well there aren't any. Not if you ride fast enough ;D
Oz
04 Cali

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #423 on: October 28, 2013, 02:53:49 AM »

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #424 on: October 28, 2013, 06:04:47 PM »
 :o :o
Oz
04 Cali

lucydad

« Reply #425 on: October 28, 2013, 07:04:09 PM »
Betty...congrats---anyone in Austin is a friend indeed.

Good Monday here--life and work seem to be not quite so ragged. 

V7R goes in for 7500 km maintain (actual mileage somewhere north of 5100 miles, so next weekend will be a bit blank.

Thanks for asking...and wow cool tractor and bike!

kidneb

« Reply #426 on: October 29, 2013, 10:57:55 AM »
Nice so far. Went for a ride on my Nishiki bicycle in quiet and sunny weather,- yesterday a brisk storm swept the country.
On my way back I picked up a bagfull of some very nice IPAs which are on sale here from time to time. Only about a dollar for a 1/2 l,- thats cheap here.
Just checked this evenings TV program, and I`m looking forward to seeing this documentary, ; http://girlfriendinacoma.eu/watch/  -- watch the preview.

oldbike54

« Reply #427 on: October 29, 2013, 02:05:58 PM »
The State of Alaska says my business license comes up for biannual renewal again, and notes that this is the 12th time in a row they've had to tell me that.
Geez , you would think they had something more important to do  :D
Dusty

Red Dog

« Reply #428 on: October 29, 2013, 05:00:31 PM »
I had a glimmer of humor today.

Guy comes in for a special order 75' video cable to put a monitor in the back of his fishing boat.  It takes a sturdy outdoor cable to survive the marine environment, and the stuff isn't cheap.  So when he arrived I connected the ends of the coiled-up cable from my laptop to a monitor to show him it worked and the signal was strong.  He fingered it for a moment, looking puzzled.  I asked what the problem was.  He said "Can we stretch it out?  It works well enough with the monitor and computer side-by-side, but what happens when I move it 75 feet away?"

When I was in auto parts a guy came in for a flexible rubber brake hose.  I look it up, pull it off the shelf, go back to the counter, open the box & slide it out.  Customer has his old hose with him, picks the new one up looks at it for awhile then asks me if the ends come off. 

I says "No they don't" & he sez "but they're on the wrong ends".  I figured he was funnin me so I took both hoses, turned my back to him, turned around and laid them on the counter with the male ends lined up.  He looks at the hoses, picks them up & sez:  " I sure wish you woulda let me see how you did that in case I gotta get one for the other side".  I said "No problem every one here has been trained to do that, you just got to be careful ya know."  He smiled & thanked me, paid for his parts & left.  30 years later I'm still wondering if he was puttin me on......

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #429 on: October 29, 2013, 06:09:38 PM »
When I first went to work for VW the diesel rabbit was the new thing.  The engine was essentially a gasser with head ports -- lower end and cam section of the head was the same.  They ate lower ends and ate cams.  I had to replace heads.  The first one was a real struggle.  I couldn't get the oil passages to line up and I was convinced that there was a head gasket difference.  After blowing flat-rate X4, I lamented that I needed a break.  Maynard (yeah, that was his name -- and he looked exactly like you'd expect a Maynard to look), the unit man stepped over, glanced at the problem and flipped the gasket over.  Problem solved.  30 years later I still think of that when something doesn't fit. .  .

oldbike54

« Reply #430 on: October 29, 2013, 06:21:08 PM »
My day was mixed , sad about the passing  of Lou Reed , but it seems as though some boy band , The Jonas Brothers , has called it quits . Two teenage girls belonging to a customer were almost in tears over this sad event , so I am guessing they were pretty atrocious , the scales even out .
Dusty

Andrew Thomas Evans

« Reply #431 on: October 30, 2013, 10:40:20 AM »
Worked on pictures late Monday night, then went to bed and work the next day. Tuesday I'm all set to work on the images again and pick up where I left off, and the folder was empty. I guess either my USB cable went out, or the cheap hub I'm using isn't doing that well, and I ended up restarting the computer as well as all my drives. Pictures were there, and it was a great excuse to back up 60 gigs work of stuff and grab a drink as it was running.

;-T

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #432 on: October 30, 2013, 11:28:16 AM »
Dorcia's cell fone plays "In the mood" when it goes off, so I took her to our wonderfully restored 1929 atmospheric style Paramount theater and ballroom..

To see the Glenn Miller Orchestra.
When we left, I felt like getting in the Packard and lighting a big see gar... ;D It was a good time.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #433 on: October 30, 2013, 05:48:52 PM »
Dorcia's cell fone plays "In the mood" when it goes off, so I took her to our wonderfully restored 1929 atmospheric style Paramount theater and ballroom..

To see the Glenn Miller Orchestra.
When we left, I felt like getting in the Packard and lighting a big see gar... ;D It was a good time.

Wow, looks nice Chuck! I see that is in Indiana... I'll have to remember to take Lindsey sometime. :) She'd like it a lot I think.

My day... I met my boss for the first time in person! I've been working at BP for almost two years, and only just now met my "actual" boss. :P

The life of a contractor...

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #434 on: October 30, 2013, 05:54:25 PM »
My day was excellent!  John, a local lawn service owner, came by and ran an aerator over my sad old yard.  Hopefully, it'll improve in 2014.  

Today was probably one of the nicest days remaining in 2013.  So I suited up and took the Griso out for over 100 miles, stopped for a bowl of chicken tortellini soup in Burton, OH, returned home.  Decided the day was too nice to stay off two wheels, attempted to start the R100GS (no such luck, the 7 year old battery has given up, I think.)  So, it was off on the 1200 Sport for another 50 miles around the neighborhood, a mix of National Park and some Interstate riding ..... the Sport is so good at either.

Home now ... spaghetti for dinner with some red wine ................... ............

A better day I can't imagine.

Bob
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 05:55:37 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #435 on: October 30, 2013, 06:09:53 PM »
I want to be like Bob w/I grow up!!! 2 more yrs to go.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #436 on: October 30, 2013, 10:17:42 PM »
My day? I slept through it. It's 4:10pm, and I woke up 20 minutes ago. I have to be at work in 50 minutes for another 12 hour shift. Yet another day with absolutely nothing achieved. This is a frustratingly normal scenario. I guess I have to get a lot more self disciplined on my days off.

Spring. season of storms where I am, but some beautiful days too.
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline wyno

• Gosling
« Reply #437 on: October 31, 2013, 10:26:16 PM »
Started work at 6.30 am, finished work at 9.30 am. The work we were supposed to be doing couldn't be started because others weren't up to speed. So what did I do? I went for a ride along part of the Great Ocean Road here in Victoria. From Geelong to Lorne and most of it I couldn't pass anything because of double lines. Most of the traffic doing 10-20 kmh below the 80 kmh limit. Grrr. Had lunch in Lorne and then came home along the Lorne - Deans Marsh - Geelong Road and got play all by myself in the twisties at any speed I dared. For the first 6 kilometres, I just left it in 3rd and played with the throttle through all the 35 and 40 kmh bends. So much fun to hear the Mistral going from about 1500 to 8000 rpm on the short straights. Did I enjoy myself? Bloody oath I did.
Wyno

oldbike54

« Reply #438 on: October 31, 2013, 10:34:45 PM »
 :+1 Wyno , my days have been short also due to rain . Great report .
Dusty

Offline wyno

• Gosling
« Reply #439 on: November 01, 2013, 12:14:09 AM »
Best thing about the ride Dusty was I didn't see one cop and I had it up to 150kmh when the rural limit is only 100kmh.
Wyno

oldbike54

« Reply #440 on: November 03, 2013, 11:07:22 AM »
OK , which one of you fellas or ladies was smuggling the small alligator into Chicago ? Made my day , and with the return to standard time , it's only 11:07 here .
Dusty

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #441 on: November 03, 2013, 11:35:50 AM »
  Not only did I not turn on a fan today but I just closed a few windows too. Not even 6 P.M. and already it is down to73F.
At least it was about 80 F when I took the girl for a chariot ride at mid day.
If it's like this tomorrow I'm breaking out a long sleeve T-shirt for riding.
Oh, and the humpies are coming. A few have already been seen near Maui, and another person got shark bit.
This time it was a sailboarder. Sharks think of them as fast food.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #442 on: November 03, 2013, 01:47:51 PM »
Hard freeze here last night.
Our humpies came through in July.  Are yours salmon?

Bigger, humpback whales.  The only salmon here are the over priced ones in the grocery.

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #443 on: November 03, 2013, 04:56:43 PM »
             Attended Induction #1 at the pistol club yesterday. Liked it very much. Not a career move at my age, more a social thing for an old bloke with a lot of spare time. Induction #2, Wednesday ;D
Oz
04 Cali

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #444 on: November 03, 2013, 06:05:36 PM »
Had a great day riding in Michaux State Forest (PA) with three other guys, all of us on vintage Yamaha XT500s.

Brady had a flat, but otherwise an uneventful day of riding.

Charlie

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #445 on: November 03, 2013, 07:08:45 PM »
  The whales come here to do the same things as other tourists do.
  They roll around in the sun, show off, and get laid.
   They attract tourists who like to watch them do this and pay money to see it.

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #446 on: November 03, 2013, 07:55:03 PM »
Not good Dusty,
   Father in Law died peacefully last night of pancreatic cancer.  I'd known him for 34 years (10 longer than I knew my own).  He was a great man - good father, academic, teacher and father to two boys and two daughters, one of whom has been my wife for 33 years.  Inexplicably he had no interest in motorcycles although we shared a passion for canoeing.

Wine helps tonight.

Nick

oldbike54

« Reply #447 on: November 03, 2013, 08:06:07 PM »
Truly sorry Nick , Dog this getting old thing is tough . Sounds like a good man , glad he was in your life . :( :)
Dusty

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #448 on: November 03, 2013, 08:14:35 PM »
My day... I went shopping with my wife, in her "new" car we purchased on Thursday of last week.

I practiced the guitar, I've been playing it as much as possible since early last week. I'm practicing by playing a game called Rocksmith 2014, I highly recommend it!

I learned that a co-worker of mine from my previous job has passed away. :( We got along, as he had been riding motorcycles for... well forever from the way he talked about them! He was still riding a Honda Goldwing Trike up until his death, at 89 years old.

For the month of November, I'm attempting to write a novel. It's for a annual event called "NanoWrimo", in which authors around the world attempt to write at least 50,000 words in 30 days. So far I'm at 1,500... which is a bit short of what I should have by now, but it's been a busy November so far! I hope to catch up by the 30th and have my 50,000 words.  ;D Wish me luck...

-Joe

oldbike54

« Reply #449 on: November 03, 2013, 08:24:25 PM »
My day... I went shopping with my wife, in her "new" car we purchased on Thursday of last week.

I practiced the guitar, I've been playing it as much as possible since early last week. I'm practicing by playing a game called Rocksmith 2014, I highly recommend it!

I learned that a co-worker of mine from my previous job has passed away. :( We got along, as he had been riding motorcycles for... well forever from the way he talked about them! He was still riding a Honda Goldwing Trike up until his death, at 89 years old.

For the month of November, I'm attempting to write a novel. It's for a annual event called "NanoWrimo", in which authors around the world attempt to write at least 50,000 words in 30 days. So far I'm at 1,500... which is a bit short of what I should have by now, but it's been a busy November so far! I hope to catch up by the 30th and have my 50,000 words.  ;D Wish me luck...

-Joe

Love that smile  ;-T The John Prine song " Hello in There" should be required listening for young people , make them realize old folks are still worth knowing .
Dusty

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here