Author Topic: How was your day  (Read 508915 times)

Brightblade

Re: How was your' day
« Reply #780 on: October 08, 2014, 06:59:21 AM »
12 hour day on Monday, 14 hour day yesterday.  As they days get shorter and colder, my work day gets longer and harder.

lucydad

« Reply #781 on: October 08, 2014, 07:02:09 AM »
Dusty,

Mixed bag.  Yesterday I showed our CEO an exploration prospect we have been working on 2 years.  Powerpoint was edited, tweaked, messed with up to last minute by middle and upper managers.  Same project preparation (with zero warning, false deadline, and snark) that caused the big blowout with Mr. Boss almost 2 weeks ago.  CEO loved the prospect and my presentation, so did VP.  When Mr. Boss saw the wind blowing then he gave me the attempted hand bump that I so disdain.   Felt flat after the show, guess I just really don't much care what they think.  

BP meds seem to be relaxing me, but I wonder if they also shift mood?  Are they a mild sedative too?  Just feel blah, but that could also be typical allergies, humidity, heat back and mosquitoes.  I just need a real vacation.  In two weeks we fly out to Hilton Head for a beach break.  

Wifey pushed back hard on retirement.  Bottom line is they want the guys to work forever, spend all the fruit, and continue the party lifestyle.  I am working on the question:  what is retirement for LD?  I have lots of interests.  In many ways my retirement would be a lot like my wife's:  much more time for working out, time for classes, volunteering, some travel, time to explore latent hobbies and interests, friends, and on.  And the wives wonder why so many guys divorce at this stage of life just to have some freedom?  All too common.  

Hope it does not rain all weekend, V7R wants a tune up at MPH:  in Friday morning, out Saturday--unless we get torrential rains.  

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #782 on: October 08, 2014, 07:34:22 AM »
Got through a late night photo shoot with my neck in fair shape.  It's sore, but not like the rabbit punch these cold, windy nights used to deliver.  Tomorrow at the office will tell. 

And I'm about half satisfied with the pics.  I invented a way to shoot my Nikon digital camera through antique lenses, and these pics were my first shots in anger* with the invention.  See the eclipse thread if shooting the moon interests you.

*anger = real-time, not a state of mind

lucydad

« Reply #783 on: October 10, 2014, 02:39:45 PM »
Dusty,

A Friday off and that is a very good thing.  Work week was pretty "normal", no big conflicts and everyone loved my big presentation to the CEO on Tuesday.  Getting ready to drill a 100 million dollar exploration well. Big stuff.

Did a day of software training on Thursday:  some self investment, even at age 60.  Found out via Schlumberger that only 1-2% of the geoscience workforce are age 60 and above.  Does that make me a survivor, just rare, or a laggard behind my peers?  Dunno.  All the young professionals remind me that I feel pretty much like the end of the lognormal curve.

Fun ride on Little Goose to MPH this morning on 99, but when I got on I-10 it was a slow, truck clogged slog.  Saw a purty red V11 at MPH, silly thing winked at me. 

Found out via checking with Dr. Doc that the pharmacy filled my blood pressure medicine wrong.  They gave me 10 mg and not 5 mg.  Good catch, but it frustrates me that they can't fill an Rx correctly.  My dad was a Pharmacist, and a perfectionist on his work.  I have felt a bit dopey since going on the meds, maybe the right dose will help.  Or dopey could be just allergies, or mild depression.

Been 2 weeks since the big blowup with Mr. Boss, the bp spike, and delayed hernia operation --after 2 weeks of alzheimer's care.  I think I am passed the anger/depression and feeling more normal.  I am deliberately slowing work pace down:  no new projects or initiatives.  The CEO has being doing reorg at work and one of my hopes is Mr. Boss goes poof.  The one manager I liked got pushed into a regulatory role so CEO could bring in one of his buddies.  As it ever was. Could happen. 

I think I will take Ms. LD to a movie tonight.  Lost about 3 pounds staying off junk food and red meat although I am really craving some TEXAS grass fed dead cow off the grill.  Will have a small filet Saturday night I think. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #783 on: October 10, 2014, 02:39:45 PM »

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #784 on: October 10, 2014, 03:24:16 PM »
Not bad Dusty,

A few solid hours driving the computer, followed by the pay-off.  I've got to get these rides in before the snow flies. 
Today it was about 10c / 50f, so perfect riding weather.  About 60 miles of backroads. 
Was it worth it?  Is the Pope............... .....no wait. Yes, it was worth it.

Nick

Burridge Road

Devil Lake

Someother Lake

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #785 on: October 10, 2014, 05:21:22 PM »
              I hope that big hole pays off for you lucydad; you sound like you need to retire rich ;-T
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #786 on: October 10, 2014, 09:14:48 PM »
Great day today. Had the honor of riding a 150 mile loop with JN smith. For being 92 years young he can still get with the program pretty well. Hope I'm so lucky!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #787 on: October 11, 2014, 04:30:42 AM »
             Put a new filter in the tank this pm. Still a beach of a job. Deleted the fuel level sensor. Insulation around the black wire had deteriorated to the point where it was showing bare wire. One less thing to get in the way ;D
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #788 on: October 12, 2014, 11:55:48 PM »
I did the first real work since surgery.  The project was getting the rolled edge for the trike body side panels fabricated.   That was a treat -- solid 12 hours over the weekend spent on figuring it out.  A lot of pulling to bend tubing, cranking on a speed wrench, bending over the sawhorses and working small power tools.  I'm sore, but no injuries.

I started with a 4x4' piece of 3/4" marine plywood, a dozen pipe brackets and about 20 1/4" lag bolts.

I traced the edge of a side panel on the plywood and proceeded to clamp the aluminum conduit at the beginning of the shape, using the brackets to secure it. 

Drilling and placing lag bolts every few inches to describe the curves, I used a long pipe 'cheater' as a sleeve over the conduit and bent it around the edge tracing.  I added lag bolts to one side or the other as needed to make the curves and played the cheater like a trombone up and down the conduit to coax out the shape.

There is about 5 feet of contour to be fitted on each side.  It took about 55 placements of lag bolts per side.  That's a lot of hand work on the speed wrench, especially since I had to remove/replace lags more than once ad I massaged the contours.  I broke one conduit by bending too small a radius, and got a couple of kinks here and there that I can probably massage out.  But when I was don, the conduits matched the side panels.

Once formed, I drew a line along the length of the conduit and sliced it for a tongue-and-groove fit with the .050 aluminum sheet metal.  Then I tapped the conduit onto the sheet metal.  I have yet to weld it -- tomorrow, maybe.

The final effect is close to what I had in mind.  I need to figure a repair to the broken angle -- probably use a copper el to make the curve -- but over all it looks like the rolled edge of a pickup truck bed.  It will take a little bondo at the kinks and sanding to sanding to smooth it all out.  With these rolls pieces in place I can move forward with the storage cubbies and hatch covers.

Now I have to tune myself up to weld .050 to thinwall conduit without burning through anything.  That should be special.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #789 on: October 13, 2014, 02:45:52 AM »
Good to see the progress RK. ;-T

Had a good few days. Was still off work Wed last week so Bro and I went out early to the vintage car Swap Meet. First night there and was just about to leave the bike section compound when we had a total lunar eclipse, one of the best I have ever seen. By the time we called it quits and many  :BEER: later we staggered back to the tent somewhat worse for wear. ;D

Whole weekend was an absolute hoot, and as an added bonus, when my darling came out she talked me out of a cheap and suspect mig welder and to get something decent. Consequently, when I arrived home on Sunday night I hit our NZ Trademe site where I had bookmarked a nice second hand set, and after a few anxious moments I am now the proud owner of a rebranded Kempi Mig/Tig/stick welder with all the torches, a trolley and a tested ownership CO2 bottle. Whats more, at a fairly competitive price. Just before I went out I also scored a hydraulic pipe bender that was reduced by 50%. Not top quality but I have used it already and it seems to do a really nice job.

Today (Monday) was the first day back at work after the hernia op. They gave me one of the apprentices for the day in case I packed up, which was good as it meant I could pace myself. Survived the day but have had an easy evening.

Tomorrow I have an MRI scan of the complete spine. Neurologist is trying to find why I have lost a lot of the feeling in my hands and feet. ::) A nerve transmission/reception test is being lined up as well. I will be really pi**ed if she cannot come up with an answer. I have to work 3.1/2 days to pay for one hour of her time. I think I am in the wrong trade.......
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

oldbike54

« Reply #790 on: October 13, 2014, 09:21:18 AM »
Good reports , progress on all fronts which is great  ;-T

Oh , Muzz , you are gonna love the nerve conductivity test , designed by Quasimodo apparently  ::) The patient should get paid by the tester , because it is obviously some very sick fun to administer .

Dusty

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #791 on: October 13, 2014, 10:22:31 AM »
Despite dire predictions earlier in the week, yesterday turned out to be a beautiful day for riding (until about 4 pm). Started out a bit cool - 44 degrees F when I left the house at 7:45, but was into the low 60s by afternoon.

I needed to put some shake down/break-in miles on a customer's V7 Sport restoration. Managed to squeeze in 70 miles on Wednesday, did the retorque and other adjustments and then the rain came again. Since yesterday looked like the only clear day for next five, I decided to ride it to Union Bridge, MD for the "Kawasaki C14 Riders & Friends" ride up into central PA after a hearty breakfast at the Union Bridge VFD.

The response from the C14 guys was very positive - lots of questions about the 'Sport and Guzzis in general. May have "planted the seed" that grows into ownership with a few. The route laid out was perfect for breaking in a restored bike and for showing up any issues that need to be corrected. Realized I only shot one photo the whole day, this one in the town of Pleasant Valley, MD:

Heading home, it got darker and more ominous looking the farther west I went. Fortunately, I made it home without actually getting rained on though. Started raining shortly after the bike was safely tucked away.

All in all, a very enjoyable day out with my friends. 250 miles ridden.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 12:59:37 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #792 on: October 13, 2014, 11:30:05 AM »
Had a great weekend, Dusty.. ;D First, I'm a native born Californian, a rare bird these days. I was born in Bakersfield, and looked at my birth certificate, saw the address, looked at the building on Google earth, and asked my 13 or 14 year older sister if that was it. She described it to a T. Who would have thought it would still be standing?
So.
Famous SoCal Guzzi Girl Jamahila (sp?) was having a not a not a rally in Visilia, and Bakersfield was on the way, so I stopped by.

Appropriately, it's now a head shop.  ;D The proprietress offered to hobble into the really busy street and take my picture, but  I declined.  ;D

Jam is freshly retired, and was having a sleep over for 3 guys.  :o Here we are doing a scotch tasting.. Kieth and Jam testing thumb strength from their recent crashes  :o and GuzziBob.

Found my new favorite road..woo hoo! It used to be Beartooth, but 180 east of Visalia is smoother, tighter, and more fun to ride. Goes to the top of the mountain, where there is a road house with pretty good food.  ;-T

That night, I got to tinker with her Rosso Corsa fixing an intermittent no start issue as payback for having such a good time. ;D Actually, that was fun, too.
Certainly one of the best weekends of the year, and one I'll remember.
edit for typo
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:20:12 PM by Chuck in Indiana »
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #793 on: October 18, 2014, 08:43:36 PM »
Chuck , were you born in that building ? ;D

Dusty

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #794 on: October 18, 2014, 09:03:49 PM »
Couldn't get out on the bike today, but I did to spend the afternoon with a couple of beers and a soldering iron.  Managed to get 5 new sets of phones made.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 09:06:39 PM by drums4money »
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Offline dee g

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #795 on: October 18, 2014, 10:48:10 PM »
I had the most awesomest day.  Went to a karate tourny today, was just going to watch and MAYBE do blindfolded kata (not judged).  I was talked into competing in an adult novice kata class, I didn't loose breakfast when i stepped into the ring and I ended up with third place.  woo hoo!!   

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #796 on: October 18, 2014, 11:39:36 PM »
Well done Dee. ;-T

Had a great low key weekend weekend myself. Weather was nice. Got a heap done in the garden. We had friends over on Saturday night and the meal I cooked went done a treat (along with a fair bit of a rather nice French red wine). ;-T ;D

Sunday has been great too. My wife, along with some other ladies have a regular brunch date every month. My mates wife also goes, so I was dropped off at his place so we organised a combined cooked breakfast of bacon, eggs and mushrooms, washed down with a relaxed coffee sitting on his back lawn looking over farmland to the hills. Thought we had better justify our existence so we started the boxing of his "garage" floor (19mts x 13mts). Worked out his levels and made good progress on the boxing by the time the ladies arrived back. Celebrated with another coffee.

Back home and more good progress in the garden.

Bike is due to go back on the road in a weeks time. ;-T The days are getting longer and warming up nicely. ;-T Spring has sprung!
03 Breva

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #797 on: October 19, 2014, 12:20:34 AM »
I spent the day working in the miter box.  I was getting the edge trim cut for the trike body panels.  The sides take 18 pieces cut to 45º, or 15' of angle stock.  The tailgate needs 4 bits or 8'.  I have 16' of stock.  I fitted 14 pieces, including cutting and welding in 'pads' here and there on the frame to square things up.  I ought to finish the side trim tomorrow.  If I can find stock in town I'll do the tailgate, too.  Good progress and no problems with my arms.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #798 on: October 19, 2014, 05:59:48 AM »
I spent the day working in the miter box.  I was getting the edge trim cut for the trike body panels.  The sides take 18 pieces cut to 45º, or 15' of angle stock.  The tailgate needs 4 bits or 8'.  I have 16' of stock.  I fitted 14 pieces, including cutting and welding in 'pads' here and there on the frame to square things up.  I ought to finish the side trim tomorrow.  If I can find stock in town I'll do the tailgate, too.  Good progress and no problems with my arms.

That's great news, RK!  ;-T

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #799 on: October 19, 2014, 06:04:07 AM »
Chuck , were you born in that building ? ;D

Dusty

No, there was a "maternity home" down the street. It's gone. Mother and my older half sister (and I) lived in the upstairs apartment on the right, though.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline nick949

• Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #800 on: October 19, 2014, 04:05:08 PM »
Long and tiring Dusty.  I'm on't road with wife and dog.  No Guzzi this time - just a GMC POS Van.

It's a tough life but someone has to make sure the gas bars and restaurants in Gaspe stay in business.

Nick

PS  Managed to scout some really good roads for an Eldo trip!

Along the south coast of the St. Lawrence near Cap-au-Renaud

Perce Rock

........and from our room tonight near Montmagny, near Quebec City
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 04:26:12 PM by nick949 »

Offline woodgrain

• New Egg
« Reply #801 on: October 19, 2014, 05:45:28 PM »

Did you travel through the Matapedia valley?

Offline nick949

• Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #802 on: October 19, 2014, 06:45:23 PM »
Did you travel through the Matapedia valley?

Hi Dave - no, around the north shore to Gaspe and Perce, then along the south shore to New Richmond (Chris says she loved it!), then up 299 to St. Anne des Monts, then 132 on the way back.  I wanted her to see the Chic Chocs - although it was a bit misty!.  We camped at a moose hunting lodge on 299.  That was an interesting experience......... ....

Nick

lucydad

« Reply #803 on: October 27, 2014, 07:30:38 PM »
Dusty,

Nice of you to ask.  Ms. LD and I just got back from 5 nights at Hilton Head, SC.  The beach was fantastic and resort sublime.  We also got to see the black haired youngest artist daughter as HH is very close to Savannah where she goes to college.  She brought up 4 friends for one night and we paid the room, a dinner and breakfast.  Four college senior girls are a hoot.  We rode bicycles on the beach and around, ate some very fine food, and generally wound down.  I feel thankful for the experience and vacation.

Apparently my brother has taken a turn for the worse with his anxiety/depression (according to my mom).  She said he is retiring from his job sooner than later (sounds familiar).  She was pretty down and depressed and played her loops.  So, I need to check out the story, and keep my boundaries as I cannot solve their problems in life, yet I feel great empathy and loss for the healthy brother I once knew. 

Had a friend, or thought he was --unload on me.  Sort of a long story, but disappointing never the less. It is one more of those online, internet social media screwed up communication things. He called me a name I have not heard since Junior High?  And so yeah.

Back to work tomorrow.  Doc will check bp on Thursday, if it is better I will schedule the hernia operation in November. 

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #804 on: October 27, 2014, 08:16:09 PM »
Good reports , progress on all fronts which is great  ;-T

Oh , Muzz , you are gonna love the nerve conductivity test , designed by Quasimodo apparently  ::) The patient should get paid by the tester , because it is obviously some very sick fun to administer .

Dusty

S'not as bad as all that.  With me they just stuck needles into my flesh with electric wires attached, then turned on electricity so that it felt like worms crawling between one needle and the other.  Sometimes it made the muscles jump, sometimes it burned.  It's a form of checking conductivity of the nerves in your body that carry brain electricity to various muscles and sensory areas.  Feeling pain and having muscles jump is a good sign that they are working.
 Not feeling pain or having them not jump and twitch means they are short circuited or open circuit and don't work.  This is not a good sign.
 What I described was what I felt the first time it was done in the late 90s.
 The last time was last winter and I hardly noticed anything at all.  Diagnosis was both legs more than 60 percent paralyzed.  So obviously you should hope for pain and discomfort to get the best prognosis.
  Seems odd but in this test, pain is your friend.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #805 on: October 27, 2014, 11:33:52 PM »
Thanks S.J. At least I know now what they will be looking for. Still waiting for the appointment. Took months before I could see the neurologist, and she told me diddly squat. Had the spine scan. Full of big words, but what I suspect is that it is not the spine causing the hands/arms problem, but could well be causing the leg problems.

In the meantime, it is now the time I can get the bike regd. and wof'd. Got home too late to get the wof today, so will try for tomorrow. Looking forward to  :bike again. ;-T
03 Breva

Offline dee g

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #806 on: October 27, 2014, 11:53:06 PM »
Awesome pics Nick!  Canukistan is on the 'places to explore' short list. Right now it'll just be BC & Alberta, but someday we'll go further east.

Had a great weekend.  Stuck my karate gi in the washer Thursday night and the washer died.  I've had this Bosch Axxis Plus for the better part of 13 years.  its a front load and it didn't want to go counter clockwise.  I replaced the motor brushes last month, so that wasn't the problem.  I stuck in the spare motor, just in case.  No go.  id some research and figured it was probably a bad relay on the control board.  And no replacing the relay, must replace the whole board. Cheapest one I found was $560.  ~sigh~

the 25th was International Karate Day. And at 0600 Okinawa time, people around the planet did 100 kata.  Here in WA state, we cheated a bit and started at 0800 Okinawa time (4 pm Pacific time).  Took about 90 minutes non stop to do 100 kata. My right knee was not happy, but hey, I did it.  yay me! hehehe

I had already decided that I wanted a new Bosch washer to replace the dead one.  Saturday morning, Pete found the only one in stock within 500 miles of the house.  ROAD TRIP!!

Off to Portland we went.  Got the washer loaded in the Element then went to Clarklewis for dinner. Yum!  I had foie gras for the first time. it was stinking delicious. trying to find an excuse to head back to Portland.  Lol.

http://www.clarklewispdx.com/

new washer works great. But if anyone in the WA/OR area knows how to replace a small relay on a circuit board, let me know. I'd love to get the old Bosch operational again to use in the garage.

Offline dee g

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #807 on: October 27, 2014, 11:56:15 PM »
S'not as bad as all that.  With me they just stuck needles into my flesh with electric wires attached, then turned on electricity so that it felt like worms crawling between one needle and the other.  Sometimes it made the muscles jump, sometimes it burned.  It's a form of checking conductivity of the nerves in your body that carry brain electricity to various muscles and sensory areas. 

My acupuncturist does that.  I kinda like it.  ::)  They way he sets it up, it relieves the spasms I have in my upper back/neck from time to time.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #808 on: October 28, 2014, 02:10:03 AM »
  Muzz, if you haven't already had it get your B-12 numbers from a blood test.
  They should be between 200 and 900.  Close to 200 and you may be in trouble.
  Is better if you have above 500.
  The tingling then numbness begins in the feet and moves upward very slowly, it takes years to cripple you.
  Along the way you may experience pain in the bones for what seems like no reason.
  It is the nerves telling you that they are dying.
  I hope you have a good neurologist.

As for what the acupuncturist does with electricity is not a test.  It is a therapy in which the electricity confuses the nerves that carry pain messages
 to the brain to the point that you do not feel pain for a while.  When it was done to me they gave me the control and told me to take as high a setting as I could stand.  After the arm went numb they had me do exercises that I otherwise could not do.  When the exercises became painful, they again turned on the electricity until it was again numb.  Then more exercise etc.  They would do this for about 2 hours three times a week for several months until I recovered use of the arm.
 This was for an arthritis issue in one arm completely unrelated to the numbness in my legs.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #809 on: October 28, 2014, 02:29:23 AM »
  Muzz, if you haven't already had it get your B-12 numbers from a blood test.
  They should be between 200 and 900.  Close to 200 and you may be in trouble.
  Is better if you have above 500.

S.J. She has (and I have had) ANOTHER blood test done. I have not seen any results for that yet. She wants to see me when she has the results of all the tests. All the previous results of all the tests I have had have all been good.

She is supposed to be about the best here in Christchurch....... .. :pop

03 Breva

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here