Author Topic: How was your day  (Read 505876 times)

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
Re:
« Reply #810 on: October 28, 2014, 08:25:44 PM »
Got the catheter out. Can pee. Testified in the murder trial. Mixed day.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Re:
« Reply #811 on: October 28, 2014, 09:39:02 PM »
Got the catheter out. Can pee. Testified in the murder trial. Mixed day.

Don't know how to comment on that.... :-\ "Mixed day" has a ring to it.

Edit: The Breva has just gone straight through on it's WOF (Warrant of Fitness) ;-T ;-T ;-T Out here you cannot register a bike or car unless it has a WOF. My darling will register it tomorrow so then it will be all road legal.

After sitting for 6 months it fired up straight off and settled in to a smooth idle. Taking it down to the garage was a joy. I was trying not to bring attention to myself but I just could not resist a wee tweak on the throttle. ;D It really is great to be back on two wheels again. ;-T

And now a  :BEER: to celebrate.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 11:31:50 PM by Muzz »
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
Re: How was your' day
« Reply #812 on: October 29, 2014, 01:18:24 AM »
  Quote;  Got the catheter out. Can pee.

I haven't had to use a catheter to pee yet but back in 98 They went up my digeree doo with a backhoe and a camera crew. I got to watch on TV
 as they dug out a boulder and the grapple took a hold of it and dragged it out.  Then they put in a stent so I could pee with a flag hanging out the end of it for a few days.
   The pain of kidney stones is highly over rated and exaggerated by most folks, it really doesn't hurt any worse than pulling a yard of rusty barbed wire out the end of it.  The pissing out of a few hundred smaller stones over the next three years or five is kind of a bummer too.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #813 on: November 05, 2014, 07:50:12 AM »
It's a very good morning, for some reason.   Sun shining, birds singing ... got up, read the news, had a cup of coffee, got out the Stelvio and cruised in to work.

Just something in the air, I guess.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #813 on: November 05, 2014, 07:50:12 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #814 on: November 05, 2014, 08:08:33 AM »
 Lannis , I know you are speaking in code , don't politicize this thread also  ::(

Dusty
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:19:50 AM by oldbike54 »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #815 on: November 05, 2014, 08:17:20 AM »
Odd , it is extremely dreary here , no sunshine , not much hope for better in the near future .

Dusty

Sorry to hear that.   Maybe just give it a couple years and things will be better?  

Well, take a long ride and maybe your outlook will improve.   Second star to the right  ;) and straight on till morning!

Lannis
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:20:39 AM by Lannis »

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #816 on: November 05, 2014, 08:55:52 AM »
It's a dismal forecast on this side of the border. :'(

Nick

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #817 on: November 05, 2014, 09:01:27 AM »
Lannis , I know you are speaking in code , don't politicize this thread also  ::(

Dusty

"The crow flies at midnight.   Bunch of monkeys on the ceiling! Grab your egg-and-fours and let's get the bacon delivered!"
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:04:22 AM by Lannis »

oldbike54

« Reply #818 on: November 05, 2014, 10:18:07 AM »
"The crow flies at midnight.   Bunch of monkeys on the ceiling! Grab your egg-and-fours and let's get the bacon delivered!"

Someone is a Richard .

Dusty
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 11:07:51 AM by oldbike54 »

Online nick949

• Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #819 on: November 05, 2014, 11:46:53 AM »
Today is an endless grind of analysing nastly 1840's garbage.  But yesterday, ah yesterday.....I rode 200 happy miles on  the Breva, just to look at a couple of fields.

I spend such a large percentage of my time riding the older bikes that it's a real revelation to get on a modern bike from time to time.  Different experience, to be sure - and without that 'classic' feel - but a good one none-the-less.

I also totted up my aggregate mileage across multiple bikes since resuming riding in 2008.  In total, I was shocked to find I'd ridden over 111,000 miles (180,000 kms), for a annual average of 18,700 miles (30,000 kms).

In the recent poll I'd guessed between 10,000 and 20,000, but thought I was probably exaggerating a little - seems like I wasn't.

Nick

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #820 on: November 05, 2014, 11:53:56 AM »
Someone is a Richard .

Dusty

I don't have the key to that code ... ?   :D

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #821 on: November 05, 2014, 12:00:23 PM »
Today is an endless grind of analysing nastly 1840's garbage. Nick

As I remember, you're an independent archaeological consultant .... So how do people know to find you?   And who wants some 1840's stuff (I assume it's not literally garbage although it might be) analyzed ???

We hired one of you guys in Pennsylvania when we were getting ready to build a new power plant ... makiing sure we weren't digging up something that might be of historical interest during construction?    Is it that sort of thing?   

Lannis

Online nick949

• Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #822 on: November 05, 2014, 12:31:06 PM »
As I remember, you're an independent archaeological consultant .... So how do people know to find you?   And who wants some 1840's stuff (I assume it's not literally garbage although it might be) analyzed ???

We hired one of you guys in Pennsylvania when we were getting ready to build a new power plant ... makiing sure we weren't digging up something that might be of historical interest during construction?    Is it that sort of thing?  

Lannis

Exactly.  Under various bits of legislation, developers, crown corporations etc. are required to make sure they aren't destroying anything (along with eagle nests, rare plant communities etc.).  In the case cited above, a developer hired us to investigate a 700 acre piece of swamp and limestone plain.  Nobody in their right mind would ever have chosen to live there, but it was all divvied up and surveyed following the American Revolution when the 'Loyalists' needed land where they could continue to live in thrall to their masters in the UK ~;.   Of course the connected got the best land and held much of the rest for speculation.  

In the first half of the nineteenth century, various settlement schemes sought to populate the area with the disadvantaged from Scotland and Ireland.  I think many of them found exchanging a 1 acre tenant field in Donegal for 100 acres of their own in Ontario wasn't such a great deal after all.

We found four historic cabin sites during the assessment. Hard scrabble farms indeed! The best of them continued to be used and farmed into the 1960's.  The other three were burned out during the 'Great Fire of 1870' - a massive conflagation which destroyed the farms and livelihoods of thousands of people, and incidentally, resulted in the first government social assistance program in the 'new' Canada.  

And yes - most of it really is garbage.  Tiny sherds of pottery, nails, bits of clay pipe - the junk people swept out of their back door, dropped between the boards on the porch, or threw into the manure wagon.  It ain't all like 'Time Team'.

As for how people find me........most of my work comes through engineering/planning companies or through referral through our professional association.

Nick
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 12:39:44 PM by nick949 »

oldbike54

« Reply #823 on: November 05, 2014, 12:40:25 PM »
It might be trash from a previous time , but most of what we know about ancient history stems from studying trash piles . How people lived , there technology , social customs . NYC is a virtual treasure trove , layer upon layer , covered in newer development . And then there are the cities in the old world that still have yet to be explored .

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #824 on: November 05, 2014, 12:40:35 PM »
Exactly.  Under various bits of legislation, developers, crown corporations etc. are required to make sure they aren't destroying anything (along with eagle nests, rare plant communities etc.).  In the case cited above, a developer hired us to investigate a 700 acre piece of swamp and limestone plain.  Nobody in their right mind would ever have chosen to live there, but it was all divvied up and surveyed following the American Revolution when the 'Loyalists' needed land where they could continue to live in thrall to their masters in the UK ~;.   Of course the connected got the best land and held much of the rest for speculation. 

In the first half of the nineteenth century, various settlement schemes sought to populate the area with the disadvantaged from Scotland and Ireland.  I think many of them found exchanging a 1 acre tenant field in Donegal for 100 acres of their own in Ontario wasn't such a great deal after all.

We found four historic cabin sites during the assessment. Hard scrabble farms indeed! The best of them continued to be used and farmed into the 1960's.  The other three were burned out during the 'Great Fire of 1870' - a massive conflagation which destroyed the farms and livelihoods of thousands of people, and incidentally, resulted in the first government social assistance program in the 'new' Canada. 

And yes - most of it really is garbage.  Tiny sherds of pottery, nails, bits of clay pipe - the junk people swept out of their back door, dropped between the boards on the porch, or threw into the manure wagon.  It ain't all like 'Time Team'.

Nick

We hired 3 different companies --

1) One to make sure that no species of interest were impacted.   "Indiana Bat" hibernacula, a particular species of mussel in the river, and I'll be darned if we didn't find trout in a creek you wouldn't have thought a tadpole could swim in.

2) One to make sure that no Indian artifacts, graveyards, ceremonial sites, etc were going to be torn up.   They brought in representatives from all the tribes in the state, walked them over the site, and asked if they had any problems with digging it up and building on it.   There weren't.

3) And one to make sure that the old river canal wasn't going to be impacted, that we gathered up anything of interest from old farms or cabins before the Caterpillars came in, etc.   Like what you're describing.

Pretty specialized work in this case; the same guys don't do the Indian stuff as do the European settler stuff ....

Lannis

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #825 on: November 05, 2014, 12:55:55 PM »
This morning, as I was reading about the hurricane winds and thick rain we're supposed to be getting this PM, the floor started bouncing.  It was a nice beat, but I couldn't dance to it.  I gave it a 4.0 - 4.3.  Good thing it happened before the big rain or there could have been some nasty slides.  Then one of my subcontractees called to say the IRS had questions about my tax information as submitted by them.  It wasn't 7:15 yet.  I considered rolling a joint, but I just went back to bed.    **C

Online nick949

• Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #826 on: November 05, 2014, 01:14:56 PM »
Pretty specialized work in this case; the same guys don't do the Indian stuff as do the European settler stuff ....

Lannis

We do both and frankly, I'm far more interested in First Nations, pre-Contact archaeology than I am in this later stuff.  During the preliminary stages of work (ie. finding the sites) we tend to just go at it, following prescribed methods and regulated approaches.  During later stages of work on FN sites, we have a ethical and regulatory requirements to consult with the nearest FN communities - which usually means we have monitors watching the work, or more usually, joining with us in the work.

We are also the go-to guys when non-recent bodies are accidentally discovered.  We get to investigate to determine who, when, how many etc.

Nick

Thomas Wiggins (Euro-Canadian: buried 1863, relocated/reburied 2004)

oldbike54

« Reply #827 on: November 05, 2014, 01:25:45 PM »
Earthquakes , typhoons , old dead bodies , where else are ya gonna get that kind of variety ? :D AND , the expertise to understand it all  ;-T

Dusty

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #828 on: November 05, 2014, 01:36:23 PM »
Great image, [nick949] - somebody's bones and the clothes they were wearing ?

And [rodekyll], " It wasn't 7:15 yet.  I considered rolling a joint, but I just went back to bed. ", that should be your signature line.

I just set a record for the world's shortest and cleanest Management Review meeting, and I'll spend the rest of this week in final preparations for an external ISO 9001:2008 recertification audit. Believe it or not, I love my job - never a dull moment.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #829 on: November 05, 2014, 01:41:10 PM »
According to the new rules, we have to wait 90 days after the votes are certified before we can light that joint.  So for now I can only say I'm considering it.

[edit]

Just checked -- the quake was shallow and a 4.6. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 01:54:57 PM by rodekyll »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #830 on: November 05, 2014, 02:12:46 PM »
I just set a record for the world's shortest and cleanest Management Review meeting, and I'll spend the rest of this week in final preparations for an external ISO 9001:2008 recertification audit. Believe it or not, I love my job - never a dull moment.

Monday, we've got an "entry meeting" for our "ISO/IEC 17025" laboratory certification for our testing lab - the assessor will be here deciding if we've got the right procedures, skills, and management control over our lab ....  Come to think of it, I kind of like my job too.   

But I like riding motorcycles better!

Lannis

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #831 on: November 05, 2014, 02:17:49 PM »
[Lannis], do you work with a calibration lab?

(edit) Okay, what kind of testing ? Do you get to test motorcycles, or is it something more like oil / mineral / water samples ?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 03:35:50 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #832 on: November 05, 2014, 03:25:09 PM »
Job?? Yuck. <shuffling off>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #833 on: November 05, 2014, 06:55:45 PM »
We just had an 'aftershock' of the same-ish magnitude and depth.  It felt the same to me, but it's recorded as a 4.2.

oldbike54

« Reply #834 on: November 05, 2014, 07:03:20 PM »
We just had an 'aftershock' of the same-ish magnitude and depth.  It felt the same to me, but it's recorded as a 4.2.

May be time to calibrate the RK-O-Meter  ;D Or get a new tuning fork installed .

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #835 on: November 05, 2014, 07:09:39 PM »
Either that or stop greasing the rollaround toolbox wheels.  I can usually tell the direction and magnitude of a moderate quake by their range of motion.  On the really big ones the bbq takes a walk in the back yard and the smoke house bricks come undone.  I used to be able to guess by the number of dishes that tumbled out of the cabinets, but they're all broken now.  Then I went to count the nails that popped out of the house siding.  That stopped being a good indicator when the nail holes wore out and they started popping with temperature changes.  Now I have to replace them with drywall screws.

oldbike54

« Reply #836 on: November 05, 2014, 07:30:06 PM »
At least life in Sitka is never boring , at least here we get some warning before a tornado  :D

Dusty

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #837 on: November 05, 2014, 07:30:36 PM »
Today, I was the monkey trying to shove the cork back into the elephant with the shits ass.  It's 1925 CST and I'm going  to bed. Unless the house is on fire, or Lorraine is pregnant, don't bother me. ~; 

Dusty, I'll ring you up tomorrow.  ;-T

Long freakin day.  ::( ::(
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #838 on: November 05, 2014, 08:45:33 PM »
At least life in Sitka is never boring , at least here we get some warning before a tornado  :D

Dusty

We were on our version of a tornado warning -- waterspout alert -- last week.  Those are over-water twisters that can randomly change direction and rush ashore.  Does that count?  Usually when I see them there's no warning -- I just look up and there one is. 

We're on typhoon warning from now till midnight -- winds to 70 and heavy rain expected.  The chance of precip is in the triple digits somewhere.  So is the hundreths-inch meter for rainfall.  The Civil Defense robot lady keeps interrupting the election report (not a hole to drive your political truck through -- she gets like that on all the stations) to warn us that unless everyone checks their boat and battens down the garbage can we're all gonna die.  The rain has started.  Wind too, but it's from the north.  The good stuff is SE/SW.  So this is the opening act designed to make me cold and grumpy before the main event.

..  . . and a 3.8 quake to round out the day.  That's just a little stronger than when a big truck goes by, but it lasts longer when you feel it.  I don't think I did but it's hard to tell with all the wind.

I do love it so!   ;D

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #839 on: November 05, 2014, 08:59:27 PM »
[Lannis], do you work with a calibration lab?

(edit) Okay, what kind of testing ? Do you get to test motorcycles, or is it something more like oil / mineral / water samples ?

Mechanical and metallurgical.    A BIG seismic shaker table for building design analysis, alloy testing, tensile and compression tests, environmental shock (temperature, motion), SEM work, that sort of thing .....

Lannis

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here