Author Topic: How was your day  (Read 505773 times)

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Re: How was your' day
« Reply #900 on: April 11, 2015, 05:26:07 PM »
Well Dusty, a couple weeks ago I pulled a muscle in my left buttock area, leaving me unable to sit down for about three days. Two weeks on the tight muscles in the thighs have REALLY fired up :'( :'( so hip joint aches like crazy and I can't even sit on the bike, let alone ride it.  The left leg does not have enough strength to get the side stand out. Sadly, it comes off the road on the 28th April for at least five months so I am hoping to get a couple of rides in before then.

However, this week is the start of my four day week with taking Friday off. ;-T ;-T I need it at this stage just to get ready for working week. ::)
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #901 on: April 11, 2015, 06:17:12 PM »
It sounds like a real pain in the ass, Muzz.  Hope you can get that ride in before your winter happens.   ;-T

I got the trike rear brakes to bleed last night.  I thought I had it last week, but I kept losing prime overnight.  I finally found the crush washer that was allowing air in (but no fluid out) and flung it into the lake across the street.  Try throwing something without benefit of biceps and you'll know how dedicated I was to losing that damn washer for good.

So now I have all brakes working as imagined -- front, rear, parking, and steering.  Frame is complete and bolted in place.  The suspension needs some sway bar bushings (en-route) to be complete.  The power train is complete -- all axles and driveshaft set for plunge and drop and CVs bolted up.  Alternator is complete (oem alternator needs to be replaced with a spacer -- spacer tbd).  Exhaust is complete.  Fuel distribution and tank switching is complete less switches.  Front end is attached and steering neck adjusted.  Front wheel is centered for the new Honda rotors.  I'm down to plumbing the ATF lines and building the wire harness.  The body languishes at the collision center, but I should be able to start this thing if I wanted to run it without the bodywork, next weekend.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #902 on: April 11, 2015, 06:24:23 PM »
In other news, I fired up the smoke house for the first time this year and ran a batch of sockeye and black cod.  About an hour before the fish was due to go in (lots of preliminary steps) a freak snow/hail/rain/thunder/wind storm hit and it's still out there.  Between the 25º drop in temperature, driving snow and nasty wind, I couldn't get the smoke house up to temp.  So 24 almost sleepless hours later (I have to check it every couple of hours) I have fish that is definitely smoked, but cold to the touch.  That gives it an unacceptable texture.  So I'm trying to fix it in the oven.  A friend came over to commiserate about it and told me about a time in Bristol Bay when his smoke house got struck by lightening a couple hours after starting the batch.  He said the fish that they could find were perfectly cooked.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #903 on: April 11, 2015, 06:35:19 PM »
Kind of a bummer, went to a funeral for a trials riding buddy from wAAAAAAY back.

Found out today Max had broken his neck trying to bump start his little Kawi dual sport so he could ride back outa the woods. Max was 77 years old and still riding dirt bikes down in the Chadwick hills & hollers.

On the way home from getting his neck fixed up in the ER, suffered a massive heart attack.

Max used to do what he called "troll" he would sit in the woods on an old Sherpa T (Later GasGas) trials bike and wait for the dudes in all the flashy gear and new enduro bike to come along and smoke 'em going through the woods. When I got my 1st Sherpa in '76 he was trials master at a place near here called Pedelo Creek. He was more than happy to help a zit faced teenager learn to ride trials

Rest in peace Max Owen. May there be no 5's in heaven!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 07:46:23 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #903 on: April 11, 2015, 06:35:19 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #904 on: April 11, 2015, 09:03:52 PM »
RIP, Max, although I know it pissed you off.  ;D
RK, tell me about smoking salmon. I've thought about doing it , but wondered if it would it make the next batch of ribs a little uh.. oh you know.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #905 on: April 11, 2015, 10:37:44 PM »
RIP, Max, although I know it pissed you off.  ;D
RK, tell me about smoking salmon. I've thought about doing it , but wondered if it would it make the next batch of ribs a little uh.. oh you know.

I was just typing in another topic that if it smells like fish you're doing it wrong.  I took 10# or so out of the smoker at mid day.  My house smells like brown sugar and alder smoke.  Matt can tell you how it smells out around the smoke house -- he was here one year when I ran a batch.  I think it's pleasant, and you notice people sniffing approvingly and looking around as they walk past the property.

What do you want to know?

lucydad

« Reply #906 on: April 13, 2015, 07:32:59 PM »
Great for a Monday.  Ms. LD got to OB/GYM for abnormal pap smear cell check today.  Doc says she is ok, nothing to worry about.
Also got report back on breast exam and abnormal dense area: again a false alarm, no problems.

She is pretty sore and tired.  We are grateful for good medical news. On to the crazy Spring and Summer!

Oh, and I got drowned like a rat on the Trumpet last Saturday by a pop up storm.  Shoulda been wearing the Aerostich instead of mesh jacket and slider jeans.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #907 on: April 13, 2015, 10:09:04 PM »
Took the Mighty Scura up and down the coast to see if she was ready for another long nap. Apparently so. Did some manual labor (below my pay grade  8) )  to help pay for my free lodging in SoCal.  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #908 on: April 13, 2015, 10:13:13 PM »
 Lots of good news , a bit of sad , to paraphrase Mr Tazio , "I love you guys"  :)

Dusty

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #909 on: April 13, 2015, 11:06:34 PM »
Let us know if the sad outweighs the good ;-T
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

oldbike54

« Reply #910 on: April 13, 2015, 11:09:41 PM »
Let us know if the sad outweighs the good ;-T

No worries mate , we take the bad with the good  :)

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #911 on: April 13, 2015, 11:12:56 PM »
How's that doggie vet collar working out, Dusty?

oldbike54

« Reply #912 on: April 13, 2015, 11:19:47 PM »
How's that doggie vet collar working out, Dusty?

:D :D :D :D

We need a wagging tail emoticon  :) It seems to be helping , or maybe it was the shot , don't care , much better today  ;-T First time in about 2 weeks that I can really feel my hands .

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #913 on: April 14, 2015, 01:52:52 AM »
Well, if the collar helps you stop chewing your elbows the feeling should return to your hands in a few weeks.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #914 on: April 15, 2015, 01:51:06 PM »
Finally got around to retorquing the T heads following the spring rebuild, and she needed it: took just 22 lb to detorque, and the valve clearances were all over the place. Ran it over to the carwash to get rid of the greasy fingerprints etc and she runs soooo sweet -- better than ever before thanks to the new cam chain/tensioner, properly synced carbs etc. New clutch and rebuilt gearbox have smoothed out nicely.

My daughter graduates from college next month and launches her senior project gallery showing on Friday, so my brother flies in this afternoon to help celebrate. The three of us share a sense of humor and our conversations are almost telepathic -- can't keep a straight face. It will be a great five-day reunion.

Snow forecast for the mountains tonight/tomorrow. Ski season will run another six weeks. I figured out I've skied about 650,000 vertical feet this winter, over 42 days. Not bad. Next winter will shoot for 60 days.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #915 on: April 18, 2015, 05:40:16 PM »
I got a chuckle at the parts counter today.  I went in for some transmission cooler hose and ordered 5 feet.  I'd bought 10' yesterday.  The counterman asked "sure you got enough, now?"  I answered "Nobody ever complained that they had too much hose."  The woman behind me in line started laughing so hard she dropped what she was holding.  I didn't get it until I was driving home -- and it was my joke.   :BEER:

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #916 on: April 18, 2015, 07:19:11 PM »
You made her day. Quick, go back ;D
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #917 on: April 19, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
Cleaned the carb and got the 2-stroke Kymco scooter running well, and turned it over to my kid who then rode it 35 miles up to Fort Collins, in an hour and 15 minutes. Happy faces all around.

70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

lucydad

« Reply #918 on: April 19, 2015, 09:30:04 PM »
Dusty,

Heck of a day.  Saturday I got the new Triumph in for its 500 mile maintenance, and we looked at houses.  Yep, Ms. LD and I decided to see if we could find the "perfect" retirement house, but stay here in Sugar Land.  Exhausting day looking at two model homes, and running back/forth to bike dealer, and doing laundry and other errands. We have talked off and on about the concept for a couple months.  Decided on the best floor plan, called a "Salerno".  I like Italian stuff.

Today:  wonderfully clear and blue skies.  Rode the Triumph to church, great service then very fun, and fast run about for about 100 miles.  Had to be home before noon.  Mary Anne is wicked fast, learning more about her and my own limits.  Bike has its own quirks, it takes miles and seat time to figure those out.  Saturday we decided the house plan, a new build:  checks all the boxes including.....a 4 car garage.

So late this afternoon we sat with neighbor/friend/real estate broker and ran the numbers:  value of our current house, boiling down to final new house payment.   It was pretty clear that the fruit of forty years financial stewardship pays off.  Then we went to house builder, sorted through lots, found the right one, picked the options and wrote the deposit check.  Actual move in will be Spring, 2016--quite a while, but we need the time.  This will be my third new house build.  Yeah, call us crazy.

So, heck of a day.  I believe God's synchronicity at work, otherwise the opportunity and decision would not have fallen into place.  And so Dusty...uh buddy: acquiring Mary Anne, after your OK...set into motion my serious look at a house with a 3 car garage, and so...yeah there it is.  My retirement might be delayed until May, 2016, but then again could happen any time.  Company could implode, but now I have some motivation to take their big pay check for a while. 

Ms. LD is very happy, and motivated, and also now has reason to clear out 15 years accumulated "stuff".  Yep, it will be a PITA, and a lot of work.

Mom is very depressed, phone chat Saturday was dismal....and I work on detachment.  Likely Colorado trip in June to do mom maintenance...and some cabin time, and such.  Cancelled an Alaska trip in June due to mom's situation and youngest daughter college graduation in May.  Just too many moving parts, and I am bummed at the decision, but it was right.

Well, another big storm blew up.  But Guzzi will roll tomorrow on a nice, long, curvey, hilly route.  Had to miss a ride today with PJP and pal..but had to do the house thingy.  That is how a guy stays married almost 28 years. 

Get this:  Ms. LD asked about taking the Basic Rider's course, if I thought the V7R would be a good bike for her to ride and such. Really?  Now that could be cool, and she would be a natural:  coordinated, athletic and smarter than I am by a long shot.  Guzzi would get plenty of love then. Little Goose is a bit forlorn right now...

So, if you are ever in Sugar Land, TX...you can be our guest in the new house sometime next year.....plenty of motorcycle parking..  oh and with the 4 car, I could add a third bike:  a cruiser...hmmm....a nd what would Dusty approve I wonder?  Maybe an Indian Scout?  Dunno, but not a HD....

That's probably too much, but heck you can deal with it. 

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #919 on: April 20, 2015, 03:46:18 AM »
You don't do things by half, do you LD!!!

All the best on all those ventures that you have cooking.
03 Breva

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #920 on: April 20, 2015, 07:47:53 AM »

Mom is very depressed, phone chat Saturday was dismal....and I work on detachment.  Likely Colorado trip in June to do mom maintenance...and some cabin time, and such.  Cancelled an Alaska trip in June due to mom's situation and youngest daughter college graduation in May.  Just too many moving parts, and I am bummed at the decision, but it was right.

Man, do I know how that "Mom" situation works.   We went through exactly the same thing.   

But you know the right thing to do is to hang in there with her, do what she needs doing, even though it may seem very unreasonable, and though the price to your own life and activities seems high; she won't always be with you, and once she's gone your conscience will tell you for the rest of your life that you did the right thing.

My Fay would love to plan and build another house, just like I'd like to procure and play with a Brough-Superior or a Vincent, so I'm sure Mrs. LD is on top of her world.    We might still some day, depending on what the kids do.    Grandchildren drive more of my plans than I thought they would, but I love it ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

lucydad

« Reply #921 on: April 20, 2015, 08:38:49 AM »
Lannis,

Thanks for your words on mom.  At times I am at a total loss living 1000 miles away.  We do our best, and she reaps the result of her absolute determination to stay in the home town of Durango, CO.  We tried to get her to move closer to us about 5 years before her health went downhill.  Stubborn old lady, but phenomenal genetics.

Yeah Muzz...no half actions here.  We have been in this same house 15 years though.  Ms. LD is jazzed.  I am in some ways the "anti-parents":  they were both depression and WWII generation.  That translates into fear based living, ultra conservatism and never take lifestyle upgrade, or risk.  Save and save more and self denial is their mantra.  When my dad was in his seventies, and in declining health, he finally regretted so many times saying "maybe next year".  What good is money if some of it is not used, and put into circulation?  Hoarding makes no sense to me.

We are not insane spenders, but we also selectively enjoy the fruit of so many decades of surviving the oil business.  Life is short, live hard and well.  Go fast, but smart.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #922 on: April 20, 2015, 08:41:53 AM »
We are not insane spenders, but we also selectively enjoy the fruit of so many decades of surviving

Dorcia and I had "the talk" about that not terribly long ago. We've scrimped and saved for our old age all our lives. It's here...

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #923 on: April 20, 2015, 09:13:48 AM »
Lannis,

Thanks for your words on mom.  At times I am at a total loss living 1000 miles away.  We do our best, and she reaps the result of her absolute determination to stay in the home town of Durango, CO.  We tried to get her to move closer to us about 5 years before her health went downhill.  Stubborn old lady, but phenomenal genetics.

My Mom was exactly the same.   Absolutely determined not to "move", no matter what.  No matter the impact to her, no matter the impact to others, she was going to "stay" and "live independently", even though she was not living independently.    We kept up the pretense as long as possible, until the third time we carried her out of the house on a gurney; then we had to take control.   

It was hard, and not in her best interests, but there was no other way to keep her from being miserable ....

Lannis

lucydad

« Reply #924 on: April 20, 2015, 04:24:01 PM »
Lannis,

At some time they have to let go control.  The children become the parents.  The parents become the children.  Damn tough for everyone.

Wow, you have had some tough situations, my fully sympathies.  Mom tends to scream at me, and throw fits.  And she plays endless, over and over tape loops on her complaints.  I don't want to be in her situation some day, and will do my best to die with my boots on instead of rotting away in assisted living.

My working theory:  they should allow medical marijuana for the residents.  They would be more relaxed, have better appetites and generally chill a bit.  Never will happen, but they have a definite culture of bitching about everything.  Few seem happy, or even close.  I may try and talk to her doctor to get the latest evaluations, and I wonder if anti-depressants might help, or not? 

We are planning a June visit to take a close look at her situation.  I have no idea what happens when she can no longer live in assisted living.  One fall will do it, or incontinence. 

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #925 on: April 26, 2015, 04:10:17 AM »
A very pleasant day ;-T.

The Ulysses Club organise a ride to a domain some 40 miles out of Christchurch as a fundraiser for one of the St John Ambulance branches. A lot of the St John system is run by volunteers and is supported a lot by donations.  My friend with the FJ600 Yamaha and myself went along.  Costs nothing to go but there are plenty of things like lapel pins, the food and drink and plenty of raffles of donated goods.  Turned out a beautiful day (thermometer on the bike said 75deg F). I would guess there would be some 200 bikes which were released in small groups at regular intervals.  All seemed well behaved on the road and a great day was had by all. Many makes and models present although HD was probably the most common. four Guzzis all up, my Breva, a V11, a Cali and a very nice T3. A much smaller ride last year netted the St Johns well over 6 grand so I think they would have done all right this time. ;-T

My mate had to leave early so I took the long way home over the hills. Really nice. ;D
03 Breva

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #926 on: April 26, 2015, 12:55:33 PM »
Cleaned the carb and got the 2-stroke Kymco scooter running well, and turned it over to my kid who then rode it 35 miles up to Fort Collins, in an hour and 15 minutes. Happy faces all around.

Do you have a picture of your "kid"?  ???

'Cause this gorgeous gal in the picture above is no "kid", Dad!   :bow

Lannis

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #927 on: April 26, 2015, 01:08:52 PM »
Yeah, she graduates in three weeks so I'll be out from under tuition. And she bought a one-way ticket to Milan for September. She plans to work the wine harvest in Tuscany for a couple of months (immigrant labor!) and haunt the Florence art museums until her money runs out. Gail and I may use up some frequent flyer miles for a visit in January. Hope to do some skiing in the Dolomites, maybe rent a Guzzi a for a few days if the weather is nice.

Meanwhile -- sold the Suzuki! Down to two bikes now, so there's room in the garage to work on the van project ...

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #928 on: April 26, 2015, 01:10:53 PM »
Yeah, she graduates in three weeks so I'll be out from under tuition. And she bought a one-way ticket to Milan for September. She plans to work the wine harvest in Tuscany for a couple of months (immigrant labor!) and haunt the Florence art museums until her money runs out. Gail and I may use up some frequent flyer miles for a visit in January. Hope to do some skiing in the Dolomites, maybe rent a Guzzi a for a few days if the weather is nice.

Meanwhile -- sold the Suzuki! Down to two bikes now, so there's room in the garage to work on the van project ...

That all sounds like a PLAN!  Ain't retirement great??

Lannis

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #929 on: April 26, 2015, 04:52:00 PM »

your daughter will love Florence if she loves art.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here