Author Topic: How was your day  (Read 505899 times)

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
Re: How was your' day
« Reply #210 on: July 23, 2013, 10:28:10 PM »
      rodekyll is bragging; I'm complaining. Spent several days washing and polishing the bike in time for a perfect day and my throat is crook. If I want to avoid pneumonia, it's housebound for me.
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #211 on: July 24, 2013, 10:05:38 AM »
Thanks, RK.. ;-T
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #212 on: July 26, 2013, 04:44:14 PM »
Well, may be going to work, and on Piaggio products!
Nothing new to me, pretty familiar w/it from another shop.
OR
Something completely different, still wrenchin though.
So it has been a positive day, finally.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

oldbike54

« Reply #213 on: July 27, 2013, 02:05:45 PM »
So we are mostly getting good news , well except for Bal , hope you get better buddy .
Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #213 on: July 27, 2013, 02:05:45 PM »

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #214 on: July 27, 2013, 03:11:50 PM »
This afternoon, I almost got speared on the end of one of those spike thingies they put on the front end of tractors to lift round bales.  The daft bugger that runs the local farm pulled out of a field entrance in his tractor without looking.

It turns out I can easily lock up the rear brake on the 750s, but it remains controllable and the front brake does all the heavy lifting.  Glad I bought those new calipers from MGCycle instead of trying to salvage the old ones!

I swerved vigorously and my ear missed the spike by about six inches.  It was all over so quickly I didn't even have a chance to pucker.  Puckering now a bit though.

Nick

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #215 on: July 27, 2013, 03:55:59 PM »
And how does that farmer look with that bale fork protruding from his arse??Least that would have been my first inclination for a reponse. ::(  Glad your okay and not a bug on a pin look alike!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 03:56:43 PM by Stormtruck2 »
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #216 on: July 27, 2013, 04:20:32 PM »
Well, may be going to work, and on Piaggio products!
Nothing new to me, pretty familiar w/it from another shop.
OR
Something completely different, still wrenchin though.
So it has been a positive day, finally.

;-T ;-T

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #217 on: July 27, 2013, 05:50:15 PM »
          A good book is a boon when you have the dreaded lurgie. "The Cuckoo's Calling" by Robert Galbraith alias J K Rowling ;-T
Oz
04 Cali

oldbike54

« Reply #218 on: July 27, 2013, 06:04:47 PM »
          A good book is a boon when you have the dreaded lurgie. "The Cuckoo's Calling" by Robert Galbraith alias J K Rowling ;-T
OK Bill , what the hell is "Lurgie'? But yes on the good book .
Dusty

Online nick949

• Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #219 on: July 27, 2013, 06:50:35 PM »
Dusty

You really don't speak English do you Dusty?  Lurgie (dreaded) "a fictitious, yet highly infectious disease", not to be confused with loogie (to hawk or hock a....) - 'Merican.

Nick

oldbike54

« Reply #220 on: July 27, 2013, 07:11:27 PM »
You really don't speak English do you Dusty?  Lurgie (dreaded) "a fictitious, yet highly infectious disease", not to be confused with loogie (to hawk or hock a....) - 'Merican.

Nick
So all of these years I only thought English was what we were speaking here . Remember however , there are more English speakers in America than in England and Canada combined , so there !  :P ;D It is a fascinating language , hard to master , the rules only apply some of the time , pretty fluid and seems to be evolving all of the time . A Japanese friend years ago told me English is impossible to master w/o immersion .   
Dusty

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #221 on: July 27, 2013, 08:02:01 PM »
Dusty

Of course, if you were a follower of "The Goon Show" you would know that first you get "the Glegg" which is the forerunner of an attack of the dreaded Lurgie".
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online nick949

• Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #222 on: July 27, 2013, 08:12:59 PM »
So all of these years I only thought English was what we were speaking here . Remember however , there are more English speakers in America than in England and Canada combined , so there !  :P ;D It is a fascinating language , hard to master , the rules only apply some of the time , pretty fluid and seems to be evolving all of the time . A Japanese friend years ago told me English is impossible to master w/o immersion .   
Dusty

Yes, there may be more of you, but you have had so little practice.  What is it - 237 years? - a twinkling of an eye!  

But of course, I jest.  People from such disparate corners of the globe as Newcastle, Norfolk and Newquay would all swear they speak the Queen's English despite being mutually unintelligible - and none of them should ever be heard in public......

Nick

oldbike54

« Reply #223 on: July 27, 2013, 08:24:59 PM »
Yes, there may be more of you, but you have had so little practice.  What is it - 237 years? - a twinkling of an eye!  

But of course, I jest.  People from such disparate corners of the globe as Newcastle, Norfolk and Newquay would all swear they speak the Queen's English despite being mutually unintelligible - and none of them should ever be heard in public......

Nick
[/quote Yes , and what is that gibberish they speak in NYC ? ;D Only kidding youse guys .  Oddly enough Canadians speak something much closer to American base English than some parts of America . Now Okie on the other hand , well let's just say apparently they quit teaching English in our school system some time ago .
Dusty

lucydad

« Reply #224 on: July 27, 2013, 08:42:23 PM »
Dusty,

A definite  ;D

Talked with my brother in Billings.  His depression meds are finally kicking in, he rode his Buell a bit, he is working a bit, his psychiatrist adjusted his meds so he can sleep and his gut no longer cramps and they are working his anxiety issues and he even got in a swim in the pool.  So, I am optimistic, for the first time since last fall, that he is going to survive his mental/emotional/physical breakdown.  He should go back to work full time fall semester. 

Summer is about half over here in Houston and this is my down time of year with the horrid heat and humidity.  So fall is coming but we gotta survive another hurricane season and I have a queasy feeling we are over due.

The new work gig?  Who the hell knows.  Life is full of change.

The little goose will get fired up tomorrow morning again and flogged hard. 

MPH has the bbb BMW cage...and I hope Mike can fix it.  At least I did not get stranded and have to tow...it was a very close thing as it died just as I pulled in. If anyone can fix the blue bitch it is Mike and etal at MPH.  Complete valve job???  Sheesh...I will never buy another BMW.

Overall though, life is good and I am very grateful.  Been thinking about slowly buying bike camping gear (tent, etc) so when it cools off mid-October I can fulfill that dream of bike camping in the Hill Country of TX.

About a month to go until we go to Colorado and home in Durango and the most beautiful cabin you can imagine.

Thanks for asking.

oldbike54

« Reply #225 on: July 27, 2013, 09:30:15 PM »
LD , buy that camping gear , get in some practice , and meet us for the Oklahoma camp out in Oct. Not that far , Rocker 59 , and several other of our WG
luminaries will be in attendance .
Dusty

DungeonMaster

« Reply #226 on: July 27, 2013, 10:32:14 PM »
Well,
I have to confess.
I broke down and bought a 2007 Griso 1100 from Cal Coast in Ventura a few weeks ago.
So I spent today riding down from Apple Valley, CA to Costa Mesa to have Sean at RTL Moto look it over and do some maintenance.
He gave me a bunch of guff for spending my time on ApriliaForum instead of being here.
Sean was was satisfied that I got a good machine for a good price and we started making plans to ditch that damn stock exhaust and get the GT-RX with a Power Commander.
My wife loves the Griso as much as I do.
It has some nice torque!!!!!

The ride home got a little weird.
I was riding the 15 up the Cajon Pass and decided to detour out the 138 to 173 to Hesperia.
But a couple miles in the road was closed both ways by a motorcycle crash a few minutes before.
This was the first time I have ridden that road since July 2009 when I threw away my Aprilia Falco and fractured five ribs leaving the scene in an ambulance.

What the bloody hell?????

DungeonMaster

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #227 on: July 27, 2013, 11:38:32 PM »
The Dreaded Lurgie is no more than the common cold. Sorry to build up everyone's expectations for such a hum drum explanation. In my case, it can turn in to something much worse, if I venture out into the cold, wet and windy world, which as I type, is perfectly sunny. Might go outside and water the pot plants ;D
Oz
04 Cali

oldbike54

« Reply #228 on: July 27, 2013, 11:48:57 PM »
The Dreaded Lurgie is no more than the common cold. Sorry to build up everyone's expectations for such a hum drum explanation. In my case, it can turn in to something much worse, if I venture out into the cold, wet and windy world, which as I type, is perfectly sunny. Might go outside and water the pot plants ;D

Are those legal in Australia ? Hmm , OZ is looking better and better .  :D
Dusty

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #229 on: July 28, 2013, 04:04:27 AM »
           Not getting enough motorcycle time, Dusty? Our weather is often so useless that I think about taking up another recreation. Trouble is, I'm so much of a fool for motorcycles that I even like washing and polishing......when in the mood ;)
Oz
04 Cali

Online nick949

• Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #230 on: July 28, 2013, 04:12:51 AM »
           Not getting enough motorcycle time, Dusty? Our weather is often so useless that I think about taking up another recreation. Trouble is, I'm so much of a fool for motorcycles that I even like washing and polishing......when in the mood ;)

You can wax and polish motorbikes?  Who knew!

Nick

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #231 on: July 28, 2013, 06:59:11 AM »
Took my poor man's fighter plane out on a sortie looking for terrists..  ~; ;D Didn't find any, but had a good time roaring around. Headed to southern Indiana on Rosie today to play. Life is good.... ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #232 on: July 28, 2013, 11:09:08 AM »
Took my poor man's fighter plane out on a sortie looking for terrists..  ~; ;D Didn't find any, but had a good time roaring around. Headed to southern Indiana on Rosie today to play. Life is good.... ;D

Ah, the good ol' USA!  Only country in the world where poor men fly airplanes ...  :D

So what kind of airplane was it?   And don't forget, you might have seen some terrists and didn't know it ....  :o

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #233 on: July 28, 2013, 02:33:12 PM »
Left the hospital Friday morning after having the new hip on Monday. Surgeon said the ball was nothing but raw bone on the ball. All pleased with progress; I guess working right up to the event keeps the muscles in better shape.

My "day" on Fri and Sat we will ignore..... ::), But Sunday was much better. Cramps in the legs which are still present weren't quite as nasty, headaches which I think were side effects from one of the meds I have been on for over two years being suddenly terminated eased back and the bruising and subsequent soreness has started to drop away. I am beginning to feel more like a human has-been again. ;-T

We now wait 10-12 weeks to decide what happens next. A deep seated pain in the groin which gives me a fair bit of grief sadly did not go with the hip. How much of the remaining comes from the spine narrowing and how much is PMR no one knows and I guess realistically, there is no way of really knowing either.

In the meantime though, life is a hang of a lot better than it was> ;-T

As an aside, in the hospital I was asked by a couple of the nurses what I had tried for these continuous cramps/spasms in both thighs. All bar one. One of their suggestions I had not tried was quinine, and they suggested the Schweppes tonic water as this has quinine in it. Of course, there was instant thread drift as I tried to ascertain just how much gin was allowed to go with it to make it palatable..... ;D, along with the lemon for vit. C. I like the meds they prescribe; had our first yesterday. ;-T :D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 02:53:44 PM by Muzz »
03 Breva

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #234 on: July 28, 2013, 02:41:50 PM »

A deep seated pain in the groin which gives me a fair bit of grief sadly did not go with the hip.

I've got one of those too, but I don't hurt anywhere ....

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #235 on: July 28, 2013, 02:57:03 PM »
I've got one of those too, but I don't hurt anywhere ....

;D ;D ;D

My nurse here at home can still move a lost faster than I can.. ;) ;D
03 Breva

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #236 on: July 28, 2013, 03:07:38 PM »
Had a great day yesterday, Mike Carmack stopped in because he had a hankering to ride an old bike so I put him on the LMIII and pointed him down Mo 125 south out of Sparta, Mo. to the Ark. line. Seemed strange being spanked by my own bike, that dude can ride! Then to the Ozark Empire Fair for the draft horse show, got to see 4 different 6 horse rigs, cool stuff, nice weather, great day!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #237 on: July 28, 2013, 04:21:12 PM »
Ah, the good ol' USA!  Only country in the world where poor men fly airplanes ...  :D

So what kind of airplane was it?   And don't forget, you might have seen some terrists and didn't know it ....  :o

Lannis

Sonerai 2L. I built it ahhh 32 years  :o ago. Cruises 130 on a VW engine burning 4 gallons per hour. Cost less than most BSAs.. ~; ;D maybe a lot less..
Yer right about the terrists, though.. I'll need to keep looking. ;)
gratuitous picture added..
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 04:21:58 PM by Chuck in Indiana »

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #238 on: July 28, 2013, 04:28:29 PM »
Sonerai 2L. I built it ahhh 32 years  :o ago. Cruises 130 on a VW engine burning 4 gallons per hour. Cost less than most BSAs.. ~; ;D maybe a lot less..

That is so damn cool .
  Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #239 on: July 28, 2013, 04:32:49 PM »

Where does the heat from the VW cylinders go?   I'm sure it has a grill on the front but where does the air go afterwards?   How many horsepower do you reckon it makes compared to the 40 or 50 of the old veedub mills?

Such a neat little plane.   I trust that you didn't lay down on the ground and get about 3 feet from it and used some forced perspective to make a slick model look like a full sized plane?    In the next picture, a giant hand comes down and picks it up?    :D   :D   :D

Lannis

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here