Author Topic: Oh, the irony  (Read 2083 times)

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
Re: Oh, the irony
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2024, 09:20:25 AM »
Highly unexpected reply. I love it! So refreshing every time I understand that I am not alone in thinking alternatively, or a topic trigger my brains inner workings into going a bit off tangent, albeit still within touch of the original topic. Thank you for taking the time to write a very interesting reply!

Huzo is the consummate intellectual. 

That's why most of the Wild Guzzi goslings don't like him very much!   :wink:

I suspect if one listened to him speaking Strayan, he would sound much less intelligent and more like the rest of us......

We might even find ourselves feeling sorry for him.....   :wink:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 09:32:14 AM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2024, 09:22:49 AM »
At the ripe old age of 71, I still ride aggressively at times, I just look further down the road when doing so🤔
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 06:46:39 PM by Ncdan »

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2024, 09:31:04 AM »
I'll being turning 65 in a few months and find I really don't think about risk on the road bike, other than the cell phone zombies and hyper aggressive single mom mini van drivers.

Perhaps because I am fortunate enough to live in an area surrounded by beautiful "25 horsepower roads."

I also suspect that blind turns, debris and cattle/wildlife in the roads tempered my risk taking many years ago.

I think about risk more on the trials bike.  But I do find myself steering away (pun intended) from heavy street bikes.

Not riding or riding is definitely a huge factor in one's confidence and evaluation of risk.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2024, 12:58:45 PM »
I am making at least a partial transition to a smaller bike.  Still love my V85 which is my 'big bike" for long rides and touring.  Nothing out there
temps me to make a change.  If I did, my big bike would probably end up being a 650.  Just took delivery of the Triumph Scrambler 400 X
for my "go out and have fun for a couple hours bike."  I think my research paid off because this little guy is going to be a joy.  Very early days
and just doing break in miles, but it is meeting my expectations.  Riding rapid (relative) on this small bike is bringing big grins.
Fond memories of the Ducati 900 SS & Triumph Speed Triple, but everything in it's own time.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2024, 12:58:45 PM »

Online CanBike

• New Egg
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2024, 08:30:59 PM »

I wish to ride my Airhead along these roads. I'm in Southern Ontario across from Detroit. Manageable, I think?

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2024, 10:58:03 PM »
Come to the Wisconsin rally,first weekend in August.

Online CanBike

• New Egg
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2024, 10:59:46 PM »
Come to the Wisconsin rally,first weekend in August.

Is there an official page, Facebook, etc?

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2024, 02:43:42 AM »
At 75 years of age, no broken bones and like Mike "just a bit of gravel rash", this season was the first time I put the rego on hold two months early. With major lower back issues and a left hiop that has suddenly decided to get osteo, I realised that the mind may be willing but the flesh is indeed weak as I had to enlist the help of my friend to get me on and off the bike. For 60 years I have pulled up at the lights and put my left leg down, the same leg now folds every now and then.

Will it make me give it up? At the moment, no. I get so much enjoyment from being on the bike. I have never been Ricky Racer and have never been addicted to horsepower, the 48 neddies of my Breva I find more than adequate. It will be my body that lets me down.

I used to like, for those that remember him, J.B's (RIP) avatar, "I will stop riding when they prise my cold dead fingers off the throttle".

Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2024, 07:26:11 AM »
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline SemperVee

• My life will be told in MC people and experiences more than anything else.
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • USMC Retired
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2024, 09:10:33 AM »

It is not ONLY age in the risk factor but the technology and attitudes of drivers.  I "Commuted" 100+ miles a day by MC daily into Orange County Ca for avg 35-40,000 miles a year splitting lanes with open face helmet and levi jacket and snow suit in the winter with little regard to nowadays "texting" and distracted drivers make me very nervous and SO MANY hit and run accidents, especially here in Western WA which I am sure is not much diff than any other big city.  That supplements my anxiety on the road these days...  PEOPLE disengaged from driving 2 tons of killer maiming machine.
2007 MG Norge - Hi Ho Silver! - La Dolce Vita
CalSci Tall Windshield
Heli-Bars
Matris Fork + SAG set
Eibach Rear spring
Salamander HB ends
K&N  filter
StainTune pipe
Metal gas fltr
Givi Rear rack
Givi V46 Box and Rack
Startus Interuptus
Napoleon Mirrors
Grip Puppies

Offline thunderalley3

• New Egg
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2024, 10:44:22 AM »
I am 65 and have had my license to ride on the street for 49 years and rode the fields for a few years before that. Many broken bones and road rash but they are all memories that I have grown to cherish.

I have been fortunate in life, it has been well rounded. I remember the day in my mid twenties that my ex told me it was time for me to move on and I left Arizona with everything that I owned in the world on a 1976 Harley. I made my way towards Ohio because I knew someone that owned a spot there and would have a place to park and hopefully enough work to get enough money to start over. It was the worst time in my life but it worked out. I was down to just enough money for gas to get me to where I needed to go. I stopped on a country road and walked through a few trees and the sweet corn was just getting ripe and I picked an ear and ate it raw. When I exited back to the road I was met by the farmer who asked me what I was doing. After hearing the truth he took me to his shop as a place to stay and fed me. He put me to work fixing and readying equipment. We still keep in contact to this day.

I went on down the road and met my wife that I have been married to for 30 years and we have a nice home, I am now retired after 23 years with the same company and I have a number of motorcycles. including the 76 Harley that I made my way into life on. I still club race, have done 8 sanctioned races so far this year. The secret is as we get older and slower so do the bikes I race.

Motorcycling has been my life and will continue to be until I can no longer breathe life into my body.

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2024, 11:23:33 AM »
I am 65 and have had my license to ride on the street for 49 years and rode the fields for a few years before that. Many broken bones and road rash but they are all memories that I have grown to cherish.

I have been fortunate in life, it has been well rounded. I remember the day in my mid twenties that my ex told me it was time for me to move on and I left Arizona with everything that I owned in the world on a 1976 Harley. I made my way towards Ohio because I knew someone that owned a spot there and would have a place to park and hopefully enough work to get enough money to start over. It was the worst time in my life but it worked out. I was down to just enough money for gas to get me to where I needed to go. I stopped on a country road and walked through a few trees and the sweet corn was just getting ripe and I picked an ear and ate it raw. When I exited back to the road I was met by the farmer who asked me what I was doing. After hearing the truth he took me to his shop as a place to stay and fed me. He put me to work fixing and readying equipment. We still keep in contact to this day.

I went on down the road and met my wife that I have been married to for 30 years and we have a nice home, I am now retired after 23 years with the same company and I have a number of motorcycles. including the 76 Harley that I made my way into life on. I still club race, have done 8 sanctioned races so far this year. The secret is as we get older and slower so do the bikes I race.

Motorcycling has been my life and will continue to be until I can no longer breathe life into my body.

I think this qualifies as one of the best first posts ever!

Welcome to WG!
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2024, 11:48:21 AM »
I think this qualifies as one of the best first posts ever!

Welcome to WG!

It brings to mind the phrase:” when I shifted into third, I couldn’t even remember what she said “
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 12:34:55 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2024, 12:07:52 PM »
What Dave just said!

Welcome, ThunderBoy!   :laugh:

-Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2024, 12:19:36 PM »

Yup- great post.  Welcome to WildGuzzi.

There’s something about going through life’s adventures on a bike, especially when the same bike makes it through all of those adventures with you and nothing else does.    My old V7 Sport has traveled a very similar road with me, through all the good and bad.  It’s still here and it’s still that important to me.   Many people don’t understand- Restoring it would whitewash where we’ve been and what was done together.  It was always good enough for me just like it was when it was the best bike I had.  It still is and it still is.

I don’t ride as much as I used to or would like to, but that’s okay.  My old Guzzi is still ready to go, even if I’m not. Even a short ride on it is still as good as it always was.

1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2024, 04:51:37 PM »

Yup, great post.

I find as I approach 76 that people who dislike motorbikes find this approach (which is also mine) more and more difficult to understand.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2024, 06:22:22 PM »
I never liked full face helmets, didn't see the need for armor in my jacket, thought jeans were tough enough, gloves were for sissies, and that work boots were overkill.

Now I don't go out without all the gear and am shopping for an airbag vest. Applying the wisdom gained over 50+ years of riding doesn't make someone a wuss - it makes them smart.

And riding slower can be just as much fun as dragging your knee in a corner. It's like enjoying a beer by sipping and actually tasting it rather than shotgunning one can after the next.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2024, 06:33:44 PM »
 :thumb:
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Offline nbags

• Hatchling
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2024, 06:48:06 PM »
broken bones in my twenties not too bad almost kind of cool mid fifties not fun at all

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2024, 07:59:54 PM »
This has been a very interesting thread for me. I finally caught a late March day that was not too cold or wet to get the bike out for a first ride this year. Had it out earlier this month but just a very short run around a few blocks after getting the garage set up for the warmer weather. Put on a good short ride of 80 miles to get sorted out for the summer. I will turn 75 this next August. My riding has changed a lot from the days of long road trips with my wife who rode along with me on her own Guzzi. She is no longer able to ride so I am solo or with buddies who are still riding. Mostly local now but still fun enough to keep in the game. The V9 Bobber I down sized to a few years ago suits me well and when I am on it and running down the road all the issues of old age I deal with now are forgotten and for a time I am the same guy who did all those long road trips in the past. I plan on doing this as long as I can. How long will that be I don't know but when I am riding it just doesn't matter. Its in my blood and I have ridden since I was 19 years old. I will only quit when its just no longer possible for me to do it by any means possible.
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2024, 08:50:52 PM »
I had a real wake up call last May when I went down at about 30 mph avoiding going into a too sharp a curve for my speed. Was lucky as I was able to ride the bike abet on one cylinder away from the scene to where I could could get more help. I didn't seek any medical help at the time but probably should have as my hands are still recovering. Was fully AGATT thankfully or it would have been ugly. Why did it happen? Because I was having a senior moment gawking at something off to the side. I have not had any problem getting back into riding but am working hard on staying attentive all the time a maybe just dialing back a bit overall. Damn it, have to remember I ain't 30 years old no more even though my brain keeps trying to trick me.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2024, 03:32:42 AM »
This has been a very interesting thread for me. I finally caught a late March day that was not too cold or wet to get the bike out for a first ride this year. Had it out earlier this month but just a very short run around a few blocks after getting the garage set up for the warmer weather. Put on a good short ride of 80 miles to get sorted out for the summer. I will turn 75 this next August. My riding has changed a lot from the days of long road trips with my wife who rode along with me on her own Guzzi. She is no longer able to ride so I am solo or with buddies who are still riding. Mostly local now but still fun enough to keep in the game. The V9 Bobber I down sized to a few years ago suits me well and when I am on it and running down the road all the issues of old age I deal with now are forgotten and for a time I am the same guy who did all those long road trips in the past. I plan on doing this as long as I can. How long will that be I don't know but when I am riding it just doesn't matter. Its in my blood and I have ridden since I was 19 years old. I will only quit when its just no longer possible for me to do it by any means possible.

A local bloke took long rides to rallies together with his wife at least until they were in their mid 90s. He rode a British 350 from the 1950s, his wife rode pillion. If health permit, we can ride for a long time. Doing our part in staying fit, by keeping active and injury free, will raise our odds. Glad you are still enjoying your rides!
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Offline faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2024, 03:38:56 AM »
I had a real wake up call last May when I went down at about 30 mph avoiding going into a too sharp a curve for my speed. Was lucky as I was able to ride the bike abet on one cylinder away from the scene to where I could could get more help. I didn't seek any medical help at the time but probably should have as my hands are still recovering. Was fully AGATT thankfully or it would have been ugly. Why did it happen? Because I was having a senior moment gawking at something off to the side. I have not had any problem getting back into riding but am working hard on staying attentive all the time a maybe just dialing back a bit overall. Damn it, have to remember I ain't 30 years old no more even though my brain keeps trying to trick me.
GliderJohn

Hope you will fully mend soon!
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2024, 09:50:43 AM »
FWIW, I highly recommend the Helite vest. I had a major wreck in 2010 that almost did me in. 11 broken ribs plus assorted injuries. A bit heavy and it takes a bit of getting used to but I'm sure in a wreck it will help. The only issue I have is being smart enough to remember to hook up the tether. If I were buying today I think I would do the electronic one.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2024, 10:33:22 AM »
I also have a Helite Turtle with a tether. Kind of heavy as you say especially with my heavy Vanson leather jacket. I didn't want the electronic model, charging being an issue and some brands require them to be sent back to the manufacturer for a reset if they are deployed. The only issue is remembering to reattach the tether after remounting.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2024, 11:18:38 AM »
I am using a thin, stretch red string like you tie Christmas presents with run up to the ignition key as a reminder. Most of the time it reminds me.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2024, 02:16:25 PM »
I use a Bering C-protect west. I can wear it under my leather jacket that is a bit roomy, otherwise I wear it on the outside. Remembering the tether can be difficult at times.
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2024, 11:04:55 PM »
I did quit last October after 45 great years of riding.  I turned 60 and can finally see retirement as a real possibility. 

Well, everyone is different, as demonstrated by the comments in this thread.  I personally feel that my most enjoyable riding was between ages 60 and 75 or so.  I was finally able to take multi-week & month+ long trips, including 3 coast-to-coast rides.  I commuted nearly daily by motorcycle 70 miles round-trip for the last 20+ years pretty much year-round before I retired at 67, although my cut-off temperature gradually slipped from about 30 degrees F to 45 degrees over that time span.  I never felt the need to be a "boy-racer" or to "do the ton" on the street, although I hit 90 mph or so briefly a couple of times riding in the East and cruised at 85-90 a bit while riding on interstates out west.  So, I haven't had to slow down that much to accommodate my more recent physical and mental abilities and I can enjoy cruising at 65 or 70 just as much as I used to enjoy 70 or 75 in days past. 

I guess my point is that if I had quit riding at age 60 I would have missed out on most of my most enjoyable riding experiences.  On the other hand, everyone has to do their own "risk assessments" and make their own decisions without worrying about what others think.   
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2024, 09:45:57 AM »
I am 78, soon to be 79. I still like to go Moto Camping. The hardest part is crawling out of the tent and standing up in the morning.  :cheesy:
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2024, 06:13:19 PM »
Refreshing to see so many grownups still riding :thumb:
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here