Author Topic: Ambo oil filter upgrade?  (Read 915 times)

Offline wguntz

• New Egg
Ambo oil filter upgrade?
« on: May 05, 2018, 08:43:33 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with the Ambassador oil filter upgrade kit offered by Stein-Dinse?  I've done some homework on other options (via Greg Bender)....this one looks like an improvement.  Any feedback on this (or other) ways to add a filter to a '69 Ambo would be received with gratitude.

Wayne

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Ambo oil filter upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 09:06:16 AM »
This one?
https://www.stein-dinse.biz/Moto-Guzzi/Engine/Oil-circuit/Oelwannen-u-Zwischenringe/Oil-filter-conversion-V7-model-between-ring::5633.html

Looks like a well made kit, the only thing I see that concerns me is it draws the oil through the filter (vs. the oil being under pressure though the filter) and the possibility of cavitation/starvation as a result. Oh, and you'll need to drop the pan to change the filter!  :angry:  :laugh:

I'll just stick to changing the oil often. After all, my old '69 Ambo has now done 110k miles and never had a filter...

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 09:23:33 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 12:14:14 PM »
Thats an interesting kit!  I was not aware something like this existed. Is it fairly new? It would be interesting to get some real world feedback from some folks that have tried it.
What concerns Charlie is that the oil is "sucked" up through the filter, as opposed to being "pushed" through it ? I would think a filter with a good anti drainback valve would be important, as well as properly "priming" the system after an oil change.
Interesting setup none the less!
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline F-22

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 02:56:03 PM »
I like it since there is no external oil filter that would "ruin" the original look, just an extended sump.
Perhaps the oil level is above the filter, so a drainback valve is not needed?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 02:56:03 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 04:28:13 PM »
That's a fair amount of money that could go into oil instead.  Changing the oil would work just as well.   :1: w/Charlie.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here