Author Topic: LED headlights?  (Read 15331 times)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
LED headlights?
« on: May 24, 2019, 11:51:33 AM »
I just replaced the two tail light bulbs in the AeroLaro with LEDs. Wowza! Those bad boyz are bright. Also, it seems to make no difference on the voltmeter reading when the brake lights come on. Before, holding the brake on would send the voltmeter into the red.
So.
Yes, I searched here for recommendations. On a quick search, the last I saw was in 2017. Is anything new that works  :smiley: and is uhh, inexpensive? (Guzzi content) FWIW, I don't ride at night, just looking for something to make it easier on my antique charging system.
TIA
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: LED headlights?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 12:12:04 PM »
If you're sticking with the original Lario headlight, then that locks you into an LED bulb. I've tried a few different ones: no name off of Amazon ($13), "Safego" also from Amazon ($19), ADVmonster Native H4 ($45) and now it's replacement the H4R2 ($50) http://stores.advmonster.com/native-h4r2/. All of them have been much brighter than the halogen they replaced while using much less power. The Native H4 was the best of the bunch, the Native H4R2 is in my V700, but I haven't had it out at night yet to see how the beam spread is with the Hella headlight.

That's the thing - the bulb is only a part of the equation - it may or may not be compatible with the reflector and lens. It's not uncommon to have a narrow beam, bright and dark spots. But, if your primary concern is less load on the electrical system, then just about any would do. In that case the Safego would probably be my choice. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C1AOSVS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Charlie

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 03:37:42 PM »
There's a thread on the topic on the grisoghetto.com site that's worth looking at. The GRiSO has the same headlight as the V7s. The conclusion I got from it was that at present, the better lamps are still somewhat expensive, but the cost is significantly less in the U.S.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 03:53:56 PM »
I haven't tried the Native Rev2 yet, but, the original works quite well with the H4 reflector I bought for my Eldo from MG Cycle.
When looking at it, it about 1/4 of the reflector on top appears to not put any light, undoubtable a shadow due to the shape of the heat sink, but, the rest of it is quite bright, and the whole thing works together to put a nice beam on the road, but low and high.

Looking at the Rev2, the heatsink looks like it will block less light.   I'll bet it is even better.   I'm going to buy one for my Le Mans, and if I like it, I'll get one for my R90S as well.

I have ADVMonster lights in several of my bikes, including various versions of their H7's in my Monster and R1200RS, and H4 "Mesh Monsters" in both my V7's.  I have been very happy with all their products.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 03:53:56 PM »

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 06:45:36 PM »
I know there are plug & play units out there. I did our 2 Scouts with Indian parts, they would likely work if they fit your shell but they are not totally Guzzi $tyle if you get my drift.

The light is amazing.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 07:00:53 PM »
One thing to check before you get to ordering though: base shape. All of the LED bulbs have a P43T base (round-ish with three prongs) and some Italian headlights (V50, V65, Morini, etc.) use a P45T base bulb which is larger, still round, but without tabs. I'm not sure which the Lario had. All is not lost though - a simple adapter allows one to use the P43T in a P45T headlight.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/p45t-r2-h5-to-p43t-h4-bulb-adapter

Charlie

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 07:04:16 PM »
Thanks all, I have one ordered. Gotta love WG..  :thumb:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Ted N

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 07:26:05 PM »
 :drool:A red led bulb under a red lenses will be twice as bright as a clear led bulb with no additional power used.
1996 Cali 1100C/hacked
1998 V11 EV

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 07:27:27 PM »
A bit of drift but I started putting a relay on the brake lights,  just one of those inch square generic relays. This was before the LEDs became available , with LED s you don't need a relay of course but with incandescent bulbs it sure helped with brightness and switch life.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 08:19:14 PM »
I'm using these in the Convert turn signals now. Super bright!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BXT4WRN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Charlie

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 08:30:44 PM »
I've tried several but I've had best luck with the Cyclops H4.

Looks like they have a new upgrade out.

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Dual-Sport-Bikes--LED-Headlight-Bulbs_c_128.html

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 08:49:31 PM »

One thing I've noticed about some LED replacements for 1157s (taillight bulbs) is that the bright part of the beam is incredibly narrow.  They also don't throw light back to the reflector of the tail light so someone behind sees a bright spot (if they are in the beam) rather than the whole tail light light up.  I installed a bright 1157 replacement and a friend following me couldn't see it - she was below the beam. 

Maybe the newer ones are better, but I recently installed LED replacements for the original festoon bulbs (think VW bug dome light) in the bacon slicer.  They were very bright, but beam was so narrow that they didn't light up the whole taillight and there was very little difference between running and brake lights.

The LED headlight bulb was a much better design that utilized the reflector to distribute the beam.

It is worth checking the beam side to side - especially on tail lights.
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2019, 07:36:07 AM »

One thing I've noticed about some LED replacements for 1157s (taillight bulbs) is that the bright part of the beam is incredibly narrow.  They also don't throw light back to the reflector of the tail light so someone behind sees a bright spot (if they are in the beam) rather than the whole tail light light up.  I installed a bright 1157 replacement and a friend following me couldn't see it - she was below the beam. 

Maybe the newer ones are better, but I recently installed LED replacements for the original festoon bulbs (think VW bug dome light) in the bacon slicer.  They were very bright, but beam was so narrow that they didn't light up the whole taillight and there was very little difference between running and brake lights.

The LED headlight bulb was a much better design that utilized the reflector to distribute the beam.

Thank you- great info that's much appreciated.  I'm working towards an LED upgrade a festoon bulb CEV taillight right now with little LED experience.  Your post answers several questions of mine very well.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Online Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2019, 09:03:29 AM »
Great info here. Subscribing  :cool:
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2019, 09:10:34 AM »

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of swapping to LED in the tail light of my low mile California stone to take away some of the heat that melts the housings on these...  but ill research more if there is a issue with beam width.
Paul B

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2019, 09:25:00 AM »
No problem with beam width on these.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C63K92T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
How long will they last? No idea, but at $18 for 4 I thought them worth a gamble.
I took a couple of pix, but Flickr is apparently having a snit. I'll try WGs site that doesn't play well with Google photos..
Nope that didn't work either.   :rolleyes: You'll have to imagine really bright tail lights from the back and the side..
edit:
Here's the back view.. brake lights on.
2019-05-25_10-13-14 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 10:49:29 AM by Chuck in Indiana »

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2019, 11:18:30 AM »
Good tip Chuck, lots more LEDs and around the sides.  The 2 I tried both had all the LEDs pointing aft.
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2019, 11:29:18 AM »
Good tip Chuck, lots more LEDs and around the sides.  The 2 I tried both had all the LEDs pointing aft.

Not me, Charlie pointed to them. I just pushed the "buy it now" button.  :grin:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2019, 11:14:36 AM »
If you're sticking with the original Lario headlight, then that locks you into an LED bulb. I've tried a few different ones: no name off of Amazon ($13), "Safego" also from Amazon ($19), ADVmonster Native H4 ($45) and now it's replacement the H4R2 ($50) http://stores.advmonster.com/native-h4r2/. All of them have been much brighter than the halogen they replaced while using much less power. The Native H4 was the best of the bunch, the Native H4R2 is in my V700, but I haven't had it out at night yet to see how the beam spread is with the Hella headlight.

That's the thing - the bulb is only a part of the equation - it may or may not be compatible with the reflector and lens. It's not uncommon to have a narrow beam, bright and dark spots. But, if your primary concern is less load on the electrical system, then just about any would do. In that case the Safego would probably be my choice. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C1AOSVS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Out of touch codger that I am, I didn't know about LED H4 replacement emitters. A longstanding complaint of mine is that bikes have their headlights on all the time, since '78 or so. Not going to spend the $$ on a Euro spec handlebar switch. So I sprung for the ADVmonster H4R2. What you said about the light pattern changing piqued my interest. Before changing the bulb, I put my bike on the centerstand, and placed a large piece of cardboard in front of the bike about 6' away. I then turned on the bike, and traced the pattern of the beam on the cardboard with a Sharpie. Did the same for the high beam. Then I switched out the bulb. The emitter didn't fit at first. Some judicious trimming of the bulb socket with a straight carbide burr tip in my trusty Dremel gave the emitter the clearance that it needed. Checked the beam patterns against my halogen bulb, the high beam pattern was the same, albeit much brighter. The low beam was pretty much the same, but somewhat wider. Can't wait til dark tonight, see what it looks like on the road. Happiness is cheap today at $57!

Some non-Guzzi content here. When I restored my boat 15 years ago, the hot ticket for marine lighting was xenon fixtures. Fast forward to today, all new marine light fixtures are LEDs. I was able to replace all the xenon bulbs in my vessel with replacement LED emitters. My house battery bank thanked me...
Larry
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 11:22:22 AM by larrys »
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2019, 04:07:34 PM »

Some non-Guzzi content here. When I restored my boat 15 years ago, the hot ticket for marine lighting was xenon fixtures. Fast forward to today, all new marine light fixtures are LEDs. I was able to replace all the xenon bulbs in my vessel with replacement LED emitters. My house battery bank thanked me...
Larry

I changed all the house lighting on my camper to LED's. I went 10 days on the battery and it was still working. Worked for me!
Paul B

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2019, 06:24:27 PM »
Out of touch codger that I am, I didn't know about LED H4 replacement emitters. A longstanding complaint of mine is that bikes have their headlights on all the time, since '78 or so. Not going to spend the $$ on a Euro spec handlebar switch. So I sprung for the ADVmonster H4R2. What you said about the light pattern changing piqued my interest. Before changing the bulb, I put my bike on the centerstand, and placed a large piece of cardboard in front of the bike about 6' away. I then turned on the bike, and traced the pattern of the beam on the cardboard with a Sharpie. Did the same for the high beam. Then I switched out the bulb. The emitter didn't fit at first. Some judicious trimming of the bulb socket with a straight carbide burr tip in my trusty Dremel gave the emitter the clearance that it needed. Checked the beam patterns against my halogen bulb, the high beam pattern was the same, albeit much brighter. The low beam was pretty much the same, but somewhat wider. Can't wait til dark tonight, see what it looks like on the road. Happiness is cheap today at $57!

Larry

When installing the previous version Native H4, I needed to open up the bulb socket on a customer's '02 EV as well - not much, basically removing some casting flash.

Good to hear that the Native H4R2 has a proper beam spread. On most of the LED bulbs I've tried, it didn't seem like the designer put much thought into retaining the correct "focal length", but ADVmonster did.

Still haven't had my V700 out after dark to see how the H4R2 works in my Hella headlight. Maybe this weekend at the Western NY Rally.
Charlie

Online larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2019, 07:32:24 AM »
I had to relieve the socket from 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock, and 7 o'clock to 5 o'clock. What you said earlier about V50 lights brought up a memory. Mrs. larrys had a V50 II some thirty years ago. The headlight was awful. I took an H4 bulb, removed the ring and soldered the ring from the incandescent bulb onto it. I mocked up the light, put 12V to it and slid the bulb in and out to get the best beam pattern then put the solder to it. Focal length IS important!
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2019, 04:11:16 PM »
Thanks for the info/ your experience on the LED headlight bulbs, Charlie. I just bought the Native H4R2 for my Eldorado. Its about time they came out with a bulb that will fit in our "limited space housings". I am still running the stock  Bosch generator, so I think this will work out well.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2019, 04:20:48 PM »
Thanks for the info/ your experience on the LED headlight bulbs, Charlie. I just bought the Native H4R2 for my Eldorado. Its about time they came out with a bulb that will fit in our "limited space housings". I am still running the stock  Bosch generator, so I think this will work out well.
Rick.

All of the bulbs I referenced/linked to in my first post will work in the shallow headlight bucket. The Native H4R2 just seems to be the best of the bunch thus far.
Charlie

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2019, 09:37:39 PM »
The Sylvania red LED tail light replacements don't suffer from that issue. Ccalled Zeno or zano or something close to that.  Just put one in my V7-works a treat.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2019, 03:47:21 PM »
I am currently looking on AliExpress at LED headlight bulbs.  I know the quality would be 'orrible but a twinpack delivered to NZ for about $16NZ is doable for a trial.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2019, 04:07:09 PM »
I am currently looking on AliExpress at LED headlight bulbs.  I know the quality would be 'orrible but a twinpack delivered to NZ for about $16NZ is doable for a trial.

Not headlight bulbs, but I purchased two from Amazon for my tail-lights on the V11 Le Mans and the V7-III Stone.  They worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A77TV4Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For my headlight on the Griso I fitted one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Brightest-Headlights-Signal-Wrangler-Adapter/dp/B01L6YA2XS/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CZAMG2BXS34NKHPCBYK3

I've never had any luck with a LED bulb replacement for my headlights.  If you do find something that works, I'm all ears!

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2019, 08:28:58 PM »
 I just put a pair of 6 volt 1154 tail light bulbs in my XL125 and F7 175, you can now see the tail light in the daylight and very bright stop lights. i'm a happy guy. I just hope they can hold up to the vibration.
 Is there a 6" replacement 6 volt headlight? Found a couple but they where north of $400.

https://www.ledlight.com/g18-s25-2_6-watt-1157-6-volt-ac-non-polarity.aspx
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2019, 10:01:33 PM »
I just put a pair of 6 volt 1154 tail light bulbs in my XL125 and F7 175, you can now see the tail light in the daylight and very bright stop lights. i'm a happy guy. I just hope they can hold up to the vibration.
 Is there a 6" replacement 6 volt headlight? Found a couple but they where north of $400.

https://www.ledlight.com/g18-s25-2_6-watt-1157-6-volt-ac-non-polarity.aspx

If you can find a headlight that uses a BA20D base bulb, then Bench Mark Works has a 6 volt LED bulb.
http://www.benchmarkworks.com/
Charlie

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2019, 04:02:43 PM »

I've never had any luck with a LED bulb replacement for my headlights.  If you do find something that works, I'm all ears!

Yo Dave. Could you elaborate on what you have tried?  Do you mean that you have been unable to track any down?

The ones I am looking at appear to have the contacts on the end which would just push on as the existing ones do.  The only thing that I am concerned about is whether there is enough room at the end of the headlight shell to accommodate the module on the bulb.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here