Author Topic: 09 classic v7  (Read 6198 times)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
09 classic v7
« on: March 30, 2015, 10:53:09 PM »
After many years without a bike, I discovered the gorgeous motoguzzi V7 stone.  The local dealer has a couple stones, specials, and racers.  A few days later, I went to the dealer to take a look up close.  The specials were already sold but a couple stone were available.  And an old 09 classic they just in as a trade.  So I arranged a test ride of both the 2015 stone and the 09 classic.  Of the two, I preferred the classic.  With only 2000 or so miles, it has a small windscreen, after market pipes, bar end mirrors, and softer shocks.  It felt more stable and planted, made for a more relaxed ride.  And the tank was swollen.  On deceleration, a lot of popping.  And perhaps... Just perhaps the right cylinder seemed to run hotter. 

The price is less the half the new bike, and the white paint is tastefully retro.  I'd read about the plastic tank fiasco but gotta ask.... Does it matter if the tank swells?  The dealer said it was under warranty.  But I'm not sure that I can trust them.  Any thoughts or advice?

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: 09 classic v7
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 11:05:07 PM »
Replace it with a 2012 model metal tank and you'll be all good.

I had a 2010 model V7 Classic in black/gold.  It was a great little bike!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 12:59:46 AM »
After many years without a bike, I discovered the gorgeous motoguzzi V7 stone.  The local dealer has a couple stones, specials, and racers.  A few days later, I went to the dealer to take a look up close.  The specials were already sold but a couple stone were available.  And an old 09 classic they just in as a trade.  So I arranged a test ride of both the 2015 stone and the 09 classic.  Of the two, I preferred the classic.  With only 2000 or so miles, it has a small windscreen, after market pipes, bar end mirrors, and softer shocks.  It felt more stable and planted, made for a more relaxed ride.  And the tank was swollen.  On deceleration, a lot of popping.  And perhaps... Just perhaps the right cylinder seemed to run hotter. 

The price is less the half the new bike, and the white paint is tastefully retro.  I'd read about the plastic tank fiasco but gotta ask.... Does it matter if the tank swells?  The dealer said it was under warranty.  But I'm not sure that I can trust them.  Any thoughts or advice?

Depends on what you want.  If you like the Classic better, then get it.  I would sure make certain the metal tank is part of the deal.  You will have to replace the fuel pump too, the Classic pump won't work in the metal tank...
I have a 2010 V7C that I swapped out tanks on.  It's a great little bike!
Cheers!  Post up pics of what you wind up with!  LOL

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 05:52:47 AM »
I had a white 09 V7C, and loved it.
The plastic tank was one of the reasons that I traded up to a '13.

:+1 on getting the dealer to put a metal tank on, even if you have to pay for part of it.
They did say it was under warranty, no?   Then, they should put the new tank on it to sell it.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 05:52:47 AM »

Offline m13

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 06:31:35 AM »
I have a white '09 classic I purchased new in '09. The dealer replaced my plastic tank first month with another plastic. The second one has shown no problems. Is the tank failure inevitable? or hit to miss?,..depending? Love the bike too.
Leonardtown, Maryland
'69 Manky V700
'60-something?(who really knows) Chang jiang 750

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PORS0y5exgY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B24-c-rJM_Q

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 07:37:49 AM »
My deformed Ducati tank was replaced under warranty, with another plastic one(!) before install I coated the inside of the new tank with a product from Caswell. I believe that will stop a second deformed tank. Those with plastic V7 tanks may want to consider, $60 is cheaper than a new metal tank. If the tank has had gas in it application is a bigger hassle though.
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

Penderic

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 10:30:35 AM »
The plastic tank is one of the reasons I like my bike. So far so good - no blisters or swelling yet. Mostly local trips and I use the gas stations with ethanol free premium.

I like the smooth seamless edges and the lack of any sheet metal that can rust or crack.

My 2009 V7 has been modified to my own personal tastes, for comfort, safety and state of tune.

I have used this fine forum for guidance and have remapped the fueling to work perfectly! Starts, idles, and runs easily even when cold.

I do like the new engine position and 6 speed transmission of the V7II bikes, but my V7c looks good enough to me!

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 11:56:56 AM »
 thanks for the replies,

I'll call the dealer today and ask about the tank.  If they can replace it with a metal one I'll buy it.  Otherwise, if I'm buying new I'll just wait for the V7 II.  Pictures posted as available

;)

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 12:34:38 PM »
5 years with my 2009 V7C, and no tank swelling issues. If the tank is covered under warranty, just have the dealer install it before delivery. With the money saved, you can upgrade suspension and add accessories.

The V7 II may not arrive in the USA until after summer. Why not just buy the used one, ride it all summer, and then trade it in towards the new one?
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

LongRanger

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 01:20:37 PM »
I had a '10 Cafe Classic and an '11 Classic, both with plastic tanks. I had no quality issues with either but the dealer situation convinced me to move on.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 03:53:49 PM »
The shop should be replacing the tank. A metal one would be ideal - it holds a useful amount of extra fuel - but I've had no swelling with the plastic tank on my '10 V7C in 75,000 miles. But it lives in a different country, where the fuel is different. Even a new plastic tank would work, I can bank on 185 miles between fills.

Half the price & a little hassle over the tank business, and with the extras seems a a very good deal - to find out whether you either just like it or you love it.

Good luck,
Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
straight answers
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 01:19:41 PM »
Called the dealer who has the classic.  The price is higher than first quoted.  And no straight answer on the tank.  They just want to sell it, I get that.  Oh well.  I'll probably just wait for the V7 II... unless they discount the 2015 and earlier new models they are still carrying.  Either way, I can't even look at another bike without thinking of the V7.  I've got it bad ;D

guzzipete

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 01:29:24 PM »
MG does have some special offers now.

Bonus Cash*
 $500 bonus cash* on the purchase of a new Moto Guzzi V7 - MY14 and prior.

Low % Rate Finance - MY15 and prior
 In addition to bonus cash*, you can also choose between two $0 Down finance options.

·         0.99% with 36 monthly repayments
 ·         3.99% with 60 monthly repayments

Model MSRP Bonus Cash*

V7 Racer $10,490 $500   
V7 Special $9,290 $500   
V7 Stone  $8,490 $500   

Offline clubman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 07:07:30 PM »
Still have my '09, still love it. Rode it a 100 mi. today. 25K total. Original tank in place, has always had gasahol in it from day 1. I may buy another bike some day, but I'll never sell it. Make sure dealer plugs it in to check what fuel map is installed. There is an update for early '09's. Got mine changed at 600 mi. checkup. My bike starts easily in any condition and fuels perfectly at any RPM. Black and white paint scheme is infitnitely "personalizable" and very attractive. Solo seat from the V7Cafe is much more comfortable. Lots of accesories. Ridiculously easy maintenance. Unlikely you will meet yourself coming down the road. What's not to love?
BMW R1250RS, Ducati 821 Monster, KTM 890 Duke, Indian R1200R Carbon

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 09:31:46 PM »
The plastic tank is one of the reasons I like my bike. So far so good - no blisters or swelling yet. Mostly local trips and I use the gas stations with ethanol free premium.

I like the smooth seamless edges and the lack of any sheet metal that can rust or crack.

My 2009 V7 has been modified to my own personal tastes, for comfort, safety and state of tune.

I have used this fine forum for guidance and have remapped the fueling to work perfectly! Starts, idles, and runs easily even when cold.

I do like the new engine position and 6 speed transmission of the V7II bikes, but my V7c looks good enough to me!

Love the Craven bags!  Points for cool!

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 09:35:30 PM »
Still have my '09, still love it. Rode it a 100 mi. today. 25K total. Original tank in place, has always had gasahol in it from day 1. I may buy another bike some day, but I'll never sell it. Make sure dealer plugs it in to check what fuel map is installed. There is an update for early '09's. Got mine changed at 600 mi. checkup. My bike starts easily in any condition and fuels perfectly at any RPM. Black and white paint scheme is infitnitely "personalizable" and very attractive. Solo seat from the V7Cafe is much more comfortable. Lots of accesories. Ridiculously easy maintenance. Unlikely you will meet yourself coming down the road. What's not to love?
Oh man... that sounds so great... I'm inching ever so closely to just getting the classic!  5700 for it seemed a tad high but I've noticed they tend to hold their value pretty well... And feel good to boot
Don't think I've ever felt so obsessed with a motorcycle before. My head says no, you don't really need it.  My heart says I can't live without it!

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 06:15:40 AM »
Make sure it has the upgraded tank vent on it. NOT grey, it is blue & orange and right behind the left throttle body. This took care of the tank problems.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2015, 08:36:12 AM »
GuzziSteve; My 2010 has the Evap system completely removed and the plastic tank line is venting directly to the atmosphere w/no valve.  It's working fine with no pressure building. 
I assume that this is okay?
Jack
NO longer can ride

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here