Author Topic: V7 possible leak SOLVED  (Read 2001 times)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
V7 possible leak SOLVED
« on: June 03, 2017, 03:47:24 PM »
Just took my 2013 stone v7 to the shop for its 6000 mile 'minor service'.  While waiting to check in with service, I noticed a thin, dirty layer of oil on a few "fins" of the right cylinder head.  The oily fins are iabout 3 or 4 inches square, outbound side, just above center.  I've not noticed it before and I don't recall having oil around the bike lately. 

I read a while back about some 'weeping' of oil in rare cases.  Hope this isn't it.  Anyway, the shop will take a look while it's in for service (a timely service since the warranty expires in a month or so)

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 09:13:44 PM by vstevens »

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7 possible leak/seep
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 04:20:51 PM »
If I had to bet it would be they or you didn't retorque the heads at the 600 mile.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 04:35:04 PM »
If I had to bet it would be they or you didn't retorque the heads at the 600 mile.

That would be them.  I should hear something from the shop soon

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 09:13:13 PM »

And you would win that bet.  The shop said the head bolts needed torqueing down.  They also updated the map and the fueling is smoother than ever.  Brake fluid flush, motor oil, gear oil and tranny oil, retightening of bolts, vin check for recalls, updates, Etc. 

I'm thankful a competent shop is close.  🤗

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 09:13:13 PM »

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7 possible leak SOLVED
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 07:01:40 AM »
my only experience with a friends V7 was once it starts to leak it will keep leaking. they blew it at the 600. make them change out the head gaskets and do another 600 right later for free.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

elvisboy77

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 07:06:26 AM »
I don't see anywhere in the V7-iii manual where checking head bolt torques is on the list of required maintenance.  Does this only apply to earlier models, or can someone point me to the right place in the manual?

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 08:55:36 AM »
I don't see anywhere in the V7-iii manual where checking head bolt torques is on the list of required maintenance.  Does this only apply to earlier models, or can someone point me to the right place in the manual?
This was discussed recently at Guzzitech where Todd and I both mused that it seemed like it was no longer needed.

I mean if it was specifically listed for the smallblocks up to the V7II and IIRC there had even been a service bulletin reminding dealers of the need with the launch of the 1TB models, but is now missing from the owners and service manual's maintenance schedules, then it would seem it is no longer needed.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

elvisboy77

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 01:27:06 PM »
This was discussed recently at Guzzitech where Todd and I both mused that it seemed like it was no longer needed.

I mean if it was specifically listed for the smallblocks up to the V7II and IIRC there had even been a service bulletin reminding dealers of the need with the launch of the 1TB models, but is now missing from the owners and service manual's maintenance schedules, then it would seem it is no longer needed.

Thanks!

pete roper

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 04:49:47 PM »
I would suggest that with the change to the Hemi heads there may also of been a change to the gasket designs and materials. Most later big blocks now use laminated metal gaskets to control squish and my guess would be that the new smallblocks have taken the same approach. If this is the case then re-torquing will no longer be necessary.

Pete

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 06:15:44 PM »
I believe Todd might have mentioned the gasket change as well.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here