Author Topic: Now I've gone and done it (DIY content)  (Read 1244 times)

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
Now I've gone and done it (DIY content)
« on: June 18, 2018, 08:35:15 AM »
Father's Day.  Perfect day to replace that old cooktop.  A local SEARS store is closing and a shiny 5 burner 30" model was 60% off. Perfect 👌!  The old one is 30" too so it should fit.  Well, after the gas hoses and fittings were all connected and tested (no leaks), i find that I'll have to widen the opening from front to back.  The length may be perfect but the new unit is about an inch wider.  That means cutting into a granite countertop... I need a new tool. 

But which one?  Cheapskate I am (Guzzi content), I want to buy a versatile tool that I can use for other things as well - not just this one job.  A Dremel.  Complete with diamond cutting wheel. 

Wrong tool.  The cutting wheel is small but it does work.  I just have to cut smaller sections at a time.  The dremel gets hot really quick and has to cool off every few minutes for a half hour- this is gonna take some time.  But I'm not a quitter so keep at it.  Several hours later and two more trips to Home Depot for more cutting wheels  the cooktop fits.  Happy day.

Now just gotta move the electric oven back under it... and it doesn't fit.  The new cooktop has a deeper 'pan' . 

Now what? 

Yes, rookie mistake.  To the construction and DIY masters out there, what are my options at this point?

Offline DavidR8

• New Egg
Re: Now I've gone and done it (DIY content)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 08:50:11 AM »
I’d say your only option is to fabricate something that will raise the cooktop.
Pics will help folks devise a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 08:55:17 AM »
Pour yourself a stiff drink, get out the check book and call a contractor before one thing leads to another and you end up completely remodeling your kitchen.   
2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 08:58:05 AM »
Is your oven installed in a cabinet? If yes, it may be possible to lower the oven. You’ll have to remove it, though...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 08:58:05 AM »

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 09:34:43 AM »
Is your oven installed in a cabinet? If yes, it may be possible to lower the oven. You�ll have to remove it, though...

That's a possibility... not sure how low it can go but I'm sure there are a few inches. 

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 09:36:29 AM »
I�d say your only option is to fabricate something that will raise the cooktop.
Pics will help folks devise a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had the skill that would be possible.  But a "man's got to know his limitations"... and I've got plenty. 

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 09:40:03 AM »
Pour yourself a stiff drink, get out the check book and call a contractor before one thing leads to another and you end up completely remodeling your kitchen.

I think this is the smartest thing to do... but if I was smart I wouldn't be in this pickle, lol.  Perhaps it's time to search yellow pages or yelp or ? Whatever you use to find qualified tradesmen. 

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 09:42:25 AM »

This right here .

Having been the guy who was called in after the disaster , it is usually cheaper and sooooo much easier to find an expert .

Dusty

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 09:45:42 AM »
I think this is the smartest thing to do... but if I was smart I wouldn't be in this pickle, lol.  Perhaps it's time to search yellow pages or yelp or ? Whatever you use to find qualified tradesmen.

We've had good luck with "Home Advisor." Don't know if you have such a resource where you are. Angie's List can be good also...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 09:53:42 AM »
We've had good luck with "Home Advisor." Don't know if you have such a resource where you are. Angie's List can be good also...

I'll try out home advisor- 😊

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 10:05:53 AM »
Thank you everyone. 

I've found that WG is a unique place among motorcycle forums.  You can get help with bikes or appliances or life in general.  I can reveal my stupid mistakes and still get good advice in a non-judgements way.  Nobody needs to pretend they have all the answers.  Thank you you Luap and moderators for building and maintaining a safe place for all of us.

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 11:31:30 AM »

Aww C'mon, you've gotten this far, with a few good measurements and some precise trimming that oven will slip right back in, or call this guy

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here