Author Topic: Opinions on the new harley softails?  (Read 14398 times)

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: Opinions on the new harley softails?
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2019, 03:19:31 PM »
I am sure Harleys are great bikes but I think the Cal T 1400 is still the best of the lot.  Great handling, brakes, control and engine that revs.  Now, only if the Cal had mid-mounts and service in every town........
I agree totally, I love my 1400 tourer and as long as continues to run good and  I can manage to get it serviced and minor issues taker Care, there will not being another Harley in my stall. That being said if I had to give up my 1400 for whatever reason the Harley soft tail would be my choice of rides. I have owned several over my ridding years and no one can deny that they are not great bikes.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2019, 03:55:07 PM »
But what would summertime be with out the endless strands of gay pirates on parade?   It’s all good fun!

Sounds like you've been to bike nights in my town  :laugh:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2019, 06:37:17 PM »
I have owned several over my ridding years and no one can deny that they are not great bikes.

Oh, yeah I can.  :smiley: The older softtails sucked. I rented one in Las Vegas several years ago and thought it was the poorest excuse for a motorcycle I'd ever ridden in the mountains at that time. It barely had enough power to do the speed limit climbing. Started throwing sparks at shallow lean angles. BIL Harley Bob had one, and I rode it a fair amount, too, taking kids for rides, etc. It was *not* a great bike, IMHO. The new ones are no doubt better from what I've read. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2019, 07:03:46 PM »
Oh, yeah I can.  :smiley: The older softtails sucked. I rented one in Las Vegas several years ago and thought it was the poorest excuse for a motorcycle I'd ever ridden in the mountains at that time. It barely had enough power to do the speed limit climbing. Started throwing sparks at shallow lean angles. BIL Harley Bob had one, and I rode it a fair amount, too, taking kids for rides, etc. It was *not* a great bike, IMHO. The new ones are no doubt better from what I've read. <shrug>
Not sure what you tried to get the Harley soft tail to do but I own 1/2 of an 07 soft tail deluxe that I bought for my son a couple years ago. No it's not a Hot Rod road racer by no means nor is it loaded with drag racing HP. That being said, to strap a bag of duds on the luggage rack and hit the road for a 3-4 hundred mile get away, I found it to be quite pleasure to ride. However each to his own👍
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 05:02:43 PM by Ncdan »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2019, 07:03:46 PM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2019, 08:02:29 PM »

Bev and I rented a Road King and rode it all over Oahu.  Scraped the boards left and right just running a kink in the road.

The guy renting it was cool, warned me about the NE part of the island: "Break Your Back Beach", "Break Your Neck Beach", "Drowning Hole", all the cool stuff.   He wadn't kiddin'.  I'd never get out there in first place.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2019, 08:30:32 PM »
Again the problem with judging even a Harley with the same name for example a "Road King" is that in the past two plus decades they came with SIX different engines (not counting EFI and carb versions of the same motors), at least four different frame variants, and FIVE different model variants (up to 3-4 in a given year) with different suspensions, cornering lean angles and ground clearances etc  before modifications. And if mods are done all bets are off could be much better or much worse in lots of ways.

Similar things are true with most of the bikes in the line so riding one or two may not tell you much.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2019, 06:28:38 AM »
 I went on a day trip with 7 bikes last summer, all riding solo. Four of them were new or late model Harley baggers. We rode back roads and the Harleys keep up a pretty good pace on a section of bumpy pavement with moderate curves...I could pace them easily on my Ducati but they were moving faster than expected..I don't care for such large machines but they do the job within their design limits...

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2019, 07:52:37 AM »
I made a test ride on one of the new Softails with the optional 114CID motor a few months ago and I was very impressed.  That thing would flat get up and go.

The new Softail series replaces both the previous Dyna and Softail series. Keeping the Softail name may have been a misstep.  These Softails are very different from those of old.  They are much more sporting in design and nature. Many folks may think the new Softail is just be a facelift of the old.  They are much more.

The new Softail numbers are telling.

Front suspension travel:

- New Softail Sport Glide       5.1 inches
- Guzzi CA 1400                   4.7
- Dyna FXDC                        5.0

Rear Suspension travel:

- New Softail Sport Glide       3.4 inches
- Guzzi CA 1400                   4.3
- Dyna FXDC                        3.1

Front Trail:

- New Softail Sport Glide       5.9 inches
- Guzzi CA 1400                   6.1
- Dyna FXDC                        4.7

The big thing about judging a H-D is how the bike is set-up, configured and you normally have a lot of leeway there.

My Dyna FXDC is set up with performance suspension and it will run with my new BMW R1200GS on a curvy road.  Not saying it will outrun the GS but it won't be far behind. However, most of the H-D market doesn't want that.  They want low and loud for just cruising.

Another huge thing.  Of all the brands that I've owned, the H-D's have been the lowest maintenance and most dependable by a very long shot.

H-D may not be your cup of tea and I can understand that but an open mind will find credit for them beyond what many people would expect.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 07:55:21 AM by leafman60 »

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2019, 08:31:39 AM »
I made a test ride on one of the new Softails with the optional 114CID motor a few months ago and I was very impressed.  That thing would flat get up and go.

The new Softail series replaces both the previous Dyna and Softail series. Keeping the Softail name may have been a misstep.  These Softails are very different from those of old.  They are much more sporting in design and nature. Many folks may think the new Softail is just be a facelift of the old.  They are much more.

The new Softail numbers are telling.

Front suspension travel:

- New Softail Sport Glide       5.1 inches
- Guzzi CA 1400                   4.7
- Dyna FXDC                        5.0

Rear Suspension travel:

- New Softail Sport Glide       3.4 inches
- Guzzi CA 1400                   4.3
- Dyna FXDC                        3.1

Front Trail:

- New Softail Sport Glide       5.9 inches
- Guzzi CA 1400                   6.1
- Dyna FXDC                        4.7

The big thing about judging a H-D is how the bike is set-up, configured and you normally have a lot of leeway there.

My Dyna FXDC is set up with performance suspension and it will run with my new BMW R1200GS on a curvy road.  Not saying it will outrun the GS but it won't be far behind. However, most of the H-D market doesn't want that.  They want low and loud for just cruising.

Another huge thing.  Of all the brands that I've owned, the H-D's have been the lowest maintenance and most dependable by a very long shot.

H-D may not be your cup of tea and I can understand that but an open mind will find credit for them beyond what many people would expect.

I actually have a good friend that offered to sell me his 2009 FXDC dyna superglide custom for 5k.  It's been a good commuter and very reliable.  He's the original owner.  I still haven't ridden it but if it is near as manageable as the new softail heritage I will buy it. 

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2019, 09:30:46 AM »
I’m sure they are nice machines, but if I could afford one I’d hate to think I might be accepted into the throngs of local leather clad tattoo flashing “bikers” would I have to start going to bars and frown? :angry:

If you are that easily influenced then maybe you better stick with Honda.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2019, 09:33:14 AM »
Bev and I rented a Road King and rode it all over Oahu.  Scraped the boards left and right just running a kink in the road.

The guy renting it was cool, warned me about the NE part of the island: "Break Your Back Beach", "Break Your Neck Beach", "Drowning Hole", all the cool stuff.   He wadn't kiddin'.  I'd never get out there in first place.

Do you guys that rent take the time to set the preload for you and passenger weight?
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2019, 09:36:12 AM »
I haven't quite warmed up to the painted laced wheels and the new saddlebag design and the half-painted windshields and stuff on the new Heritage Softails when we were last in the market for a motorcycle.  Instead, we bought the "last year's model".   The ergonomics are good, as is the wind management AFTER adding a set of lower wind deflectors.

Pay no attention to that old Hippy in the tye-dye.

The new Deluxe is easily made into a chromed out Heritage. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2019, 09:59:11 AM »
The new Deluxe is easily made into a chromed out Heritage.

:thumb:

Simply gorgeous.  If comfortable for two and weight is well-balanced and manageable then why not.  I enjoyed my V7 stone around town and the occasional weekend canyon carving.  But my wife wouldn't ride with me (together, we're just too much for the V7), and long highway rides were not pleasant (to me or my wife).  Perhaps a bit of 'heft' and comfort will convince her to ride with me... I'm tired of riding alone.  I'd be happy with either the deluxe or heritage... or perhaps my friends 2009 FXDC if it fits the bill.  The 1400 Cali just doesn't appeal to me, personally.  I know its a great bike and all but it just isn't for me.

vince

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2019, 10:20:44 AM »
I’m sure they are nice machines, but if I could afford one I’d hate to think I might be accepted into the throngs of local leather clad tattoo flashing “bikers” would I have to start going to bars and frown? :angry:

John - you make some very good points

But, have you ever really tried it?

I mean.... you might LIKE it !

And those Harley babes ???
How can you resist ???

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2019, 11:48:28 AM »
John - you make some very good points

But, have you ever really tried it?

I mean.... you might LIKE it !

And those Harley babes ???
How can you resist ???

Which "Softail" model are these? :wink:
Rick
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2019, 11:49:11 AM »
eeewwww..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2019, 01:36:45 PM »
Or you could just be YOU... just sayin'
hey Gunther smoothface, were you born without a sense of humor or did you have it surgically removed??
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2019, 01:44:57 PM »
hey Gunther smoothface, were you born without a sense of humor or did you have it surgically removed??

PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST, then next time put something there like ---->  :evil: or  :grin: or  :laugh: so people can tell you're not another whiny little bitch.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2019, 03:34:51 PM »
 Gawd I detest Harley threads  :rolleyes:

One question that has always bothered me , well , two actually . First , since there were like 3 Davidson boys plus their dad who provided the first shop , and only 1 Harley , why isn't the MoCo called Davidson Harley ? Second , why do so many HD riders insist on running open pipes and then turning their stereo up to the OMG THAT IS LOUD setting ?

Carry on , but do please remain somewhat civil , warmer weather is around the corner .

Dusty

oldbike54

« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2019, 03:41:29 PM »
 Oh , and one more little quibble , why did HD badge the 1954 models as 50th anniversary models , and then somehow magically badge the 2003 models as 100th anniversary ? Something smells fishy in Milwaukee  :shocked:

Dusty

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2019, 04:06:14 PM »

Carry on , but do please remain somewhat civil , warmer weather is around the corner

Dusty
(sigh)

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2019, 04:46:53 PM »
Speaking as a motorcycle lover of all the brands and have owned most of the popular ones, unfortunately my Guzzis is not in that class of being "popular":( I think I can identify the major divide between HD and most any of the other makes. For what ever reason, possibly the  lust for the Bad Boy image, most folks who ride and own a Harley tends to follow the cult of the Harley Davidson Motorcycle that includes the T shirts, leather jackets with all the patches, helmets with the insignias, etc. Also it seems necessary to take off perfectly effective quiet mufflers and add obnoxious loud pipes with the claim it adds HP, as well as other  attributes that tend to annoy other brand owners. However there are many of us guys and gals out here that own and have owned HD and never felt the need to advertise for the company nor follow that Biker image, I did not. My 1400 tourer is my ride of choice at this time in my ridding career and may possibly be my last. However if the feeling ever overcomes me to own another Harley I will do so unapologetically as it very well may be the best motorcycle on the face of the planet:)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 04:56:38 PM by Ncdan »

oldbike54

« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2019, 04:47:23 PM »
 ^^^^ :laugh:

Nice picture Kevin  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2019, 05:23:57 PM »
I had one of the very first SoftTails ever made.  4 speed chain drive.  I rode the crap out of it.  A fantastic fun bike-but I WAS young and dumb!
Rode a new 107 last year.  Very impressive motorcycle.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2019, 05:27:56 PM »
PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST, then next time put something there like ---->  :evil: or  :grin: or  :laugh: so people can tell you're not another whiny little bitch.

surgically removed.  No doubt.   :wink:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2019, 05:39:17 PM »
(sigh)

Are you selling your red 1400 T.   I guess the Harley must be your favorite?
John L 

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2019, 05:57:19 PM »
Which "Softail" model are these? :wink:
Rick

I think those are the Wide-Glides
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2019, 06:03:26 PM »
Are you selling your red 1400 T.   I guess the Harley must be your favorite?

That 1400T is for sale, to be sure - but if I really had to pick a bike that I am "partial to" then it would be this Versys 1000

But, these VStar1300's are real workhorses - especially when ya gotta bring the Wife and all of HER stuff, also
 :laugh:

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 06:12:11 PM by kballowe »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2019, 08:17:13 PM »
Kevin,  With all your machines, you should give us the pros and cons of all the touring bikes, Harley, Yammie, Guzzi,  etc.
John L 

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2019, 06:32:36 AM »
Kevin,  With all your machines, you should give us the pros and cons of all the touring bikes, Harley, Yammie, Guzzi,  etc.

John -

After owning more than 80 motorcycles, I feel that I am a poor source for any type of meaningful review.  It's obvious that I simply cannot make up my mind.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Kevin

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here