Author Topic: More Mars Venus Folly  (Read 7217 times)

Bill Hagan

More Mars Venus Folly
« on: March 01, 2015, 11:40:12 AM »
Kathi went to grandbabysit in Great Falls last night; I stayed in bed in Cross Junction in a continuing state of self-pity as I try to shake a week-long coldorsomething.  

So, she called this a.m. and said she’d head back home early as the weather forecast was for a wintry mix on the both sides of Snickers Gap on the Blue Ridge, with crossing there always interesting in nasty weather.

Well, I thought, good for her.

I had just had the Mini washed in Atlanta, but it’s a good “mudder,” so I was happy Kathi would be safe even if there’d be road grime on it.

So … where’s this going.

She came home a few minutes ago and was almost bubbly happy.  She said she knew I’d be proud of how safely she’d driven the car. Said she’d stayed behind a VDOT salt truck and plow for the last 30 miles.

"What?!”  I screamed.  :o

"Are out out of your foxtrotting mind?  What were you thinking?  Oh, never mind.  You weren’t.” And so forth.

As you may guess, this approach did not go ever all that well.  ::)  :wife:

But, being saintly Kathi, she forgave me quickly.   :bow

And, being me, I am still flabbergasted that anyone would do that; the driving part, not the forgiveness.   ;)

So, she just made me some tea.  I’m worried it’s poisoned.  Naturally, I’ll drink it anyway.   :D

Bill

« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 11:57:24 AM by Bill Hagan »

oldbike54

Re: More Mars Venus Folly
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 11:44:16 AM »
 Bill , as you know the correct response is always , "Honey , I am so glad you made it home safely , my life would be empty W/O you"  ;D

Dusty

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 11:46:06 AM »
Much better than to be in FRONT of the plow truck for 30 Miles ~;

Get better Bill
   Paul B :BEER:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

dilligaf

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
Well Bill, you are not alone.  Number one son and his wife drove to Cherokee, NC to gamble and play in the snow.  Called to let me know they were safe, that they were following the salt truck and documenting the adventure with the GoPro I gave Sue for Christmas.  :BEER:
Matt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 12:01:03 PM »
If she feels best behind a salt truck, who cares? It's just a freakin' car. If it gets dirty, waash it. If it gets a few chips, well, so what? Are you saving it for the next owner?

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 12:06:03 PM »
If she feels best behind a salt truck, who cares? It's just a freakin' car. If it gets dirty, waash it. If it gets a few chips, well, so what? Are you saving it for the next owner?

Well, I sort of know where he's coming from.

With the horrifying witch's brew of highly corrosive material they load on DOT trucks these days, it's not just a matter of getting a few chips, or getting dirty.   If you get the full load of that stuff under a Mini, you MAY take $5000 of usable value out of the car, unless there's some way to wash it ALL out quick fast and in a hurry ....

Bill can be glad to have Kathi home safe, and still do a Fred Sanford "It's the big one, Elizabeth!" over car full of impending rust ... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 12:07:52 PM »
Yup, tip the car on it's side and get a garden hose.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 12:13:56 PM »
Just slide a garden sprinkler beneath it and let it go for a while.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 12:53:12 PM »
You should have counted to ten and then had her haul out the garden hose and thoroughly wash the top, wheel wells, and underside with fresh water. 

Now that you've poisoned the well, you're just going to have to do it yourself and risk pneumonia.  Or let the car rot.  Your choice, I guess.
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 01:00:02 PM »

:+1

If it was an old (original) Mini, you could probably watch it rust away before your very eyes after following a VDOT truck. But, it's a modern Mini, probably much better protected against corrosion (what isn't plastic). Warmer weather is coming - pick a day and take it to the car wash or auto detailer.
Charlie

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 02:32:42 PM »
Ouch!
Teresa and I have decided that little baby girls are issued a different Book of Life Instructions than are little baby boys upon their discharge from hospital nursery. She seems not interested in reading mine, and I'm afraid to read hers! <sigh>
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline Bob Wegman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 03:00:19 PM »
 Hey Bill,  Is it close to needing an oil change or the snow tires taken off.  Have the tech give it a wash off on the bottom while it is on the lift.  I think those things might be warranted for about 10 yrs against corrosion.  The dealership I work at sells Minis, and believe me we use more than our share of the worlds salt in NY.  I see folks driving those all over during the winter and really don't see many corroded Mini parts lying in the road.  Don't worry.

PS,  If you need to get closure, maybe you could spend some of the grandbabies inheritance on your next car. :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:09:56 PM by Bob Wegman »
02 EV1100, 2010 V7 Classic, 80 Yamaha 650, 80 Yamaha SR500, 77 Yamaha XS650, 67 Honda 305 Superhawk, 66 Ducati 250 Monza(apart)
MGNOC # 20848
AMA# 548668

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 03:02:20 PM »
Just for context-I live in salty New England, I get crusts and stalactites of various salts all over my cars-keeping in mind I drive about 50,000 miles a year-and wash them , well, now and then. Sometimes I wash them just because I get white dust on my clothes if I even get close to the car.

In 25 years of doing this, in primarily German cars, I have had not one instance of rust or corrosion. Not one. And a single decent wash makes them look great.

And besides, it IS just a car.

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 03:40:56 PM »
I've just instructed my wife to overtake salt trucks immediately.
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline Bill929

• Gaggle Hero
    • Finger, Nelson & Maguire, PLLC
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 04:01:52 PM »
You should have counted to ten and then had her haul out the garden hose and thoroughly wash the top, wheel wells, and underside with fresh water.  

Knowing Kathi, I'm not sure that would be the best route...

We have lots of salt on the roads this winter in NC, and I recently spent three hours cleaning Lisa's truck.  Looked great (for a day)!  The good news is I looked pretty closely at the undercarriage and didn't see any signs of corrosion.  
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 04:11:49 PM by Bill929 »
Bill
Morriston, FL
Maidens, VA
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring
2019 Harley Davidson Roadster

Prior Guzzis:  1986 V65 Lario, 2001 EV, 2001 V11 Sport, 2003 Titanium, 2007 California Vintage, 1991 Lemans CI 1000

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
Just slide a garden sprinkler beneath it and let it go for a while.

You know.. I like that..  ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 07:42:06 PM »
Hang in there Bill, she made it home safe, have a medicinal Knob Creek and wash it off first chance you get.  It'll be ok.

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 06:18:11 AM »
I would second Aaron on this one. I live in MA, on the salty coast. I'm also a slob and rarely wash my cars. I haven't put my foot through the floorboards yet. I wouldn't worry so much about it. BTW, the sprinkler idea is clever. If i cared, I guess I'd use a pressure washer though. I wonder if you could make some sort of deflector nozzle for one to make the stream shoot up into the undercarriage?
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Cheese

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 06:54:26 AM »
If I were a "road warrior" doing 50k a year the salt damage wouldn't matter. Presumably I'd get rid of the poor car before 200k had been logged, or 4 years whichever came first. In either case too soon for the floorboards to disappear. For me the grass is greener where the typical car lasts indefinitely and just require mechanical repairs, which I can do myself. Very hard/expensive for me to replace oxidized structural parts. If you follow the salt truck be aware they are not just dispensing a nice evenly sized load of salt crystals but stuff found around salt deposits, mining sites and storage areas as well, stones big enough to take out your windshield. Just another reason for the great northeastern diaspora.

Peter

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 06:59:34 AM »
200K is my usual limit, 275K is the longest so far.

But the first few cars I went through were used, including one Renault!

Bill Hagan

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 07:43:38 PM »
I know many of you have been worried about this  :D, so thought I better close the loop.

The "Mini" problem is history.  Did a serious undercarriage wash ... which may explain why I have pneumonia now; really  :'( ... but at least the car is (probably) purged of the road poison. No apparent rock chips, so I am at peace with it all.

But, real closure came today.

After all, it's only a dishwasher.   ;D

Bill

Offline Bob Wegman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 08:08:27 PM »
If I pull a trick like that, I had better make sure it happens on a day my bride is at work :D  Oh yea and clean up all evidence after.  You da man.
02 EV1100, 2010 V7 Classic, 80 Yamaha 650, 80 Yamaha SR500, 77 Yamaha XS650, 67 Honda 305 Superhawk, 66 Ducati 250 Monza(apart)
MGNOC # 20848
AMA# 548668

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here