Author Topic: Stornello TT  (Read 946 times)

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
Stornello TT
« on: June 29, 2019, 01:51:53 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen, the Stornello GS.....or should I say Stornello TT?  It's been an 11 month project. Finally got all mounted up and went on a 150 mile ride the other day, about 50 today, and plan a longer trip next week with Bill Hagan. The extra weight of the bags settled the rear down and the Hagon/Ktech Suspension is outstanding.  Bike has all the charm of the V7, and doesn't punish, the dual springs on the Hagon shocks really soak up the minor imperfections and rough ride of potholes, washboard, and gravel, handles the big bumps well and the increased travel in the rear is much appreciated.  It doesn't soak up the big bumps with the same aplomb as the Norge, but does a better job than the GRiSO and MGX (not kidding) the MGX is very taught.

Here is what I did.
- Hagon 420 MM Enduro/Trail Shocks
- KTeck Fort springs (7.5 lbs) stock fork oil
- HB Side case racks with 30l Xplorer side cases
- HB Case Guards
- Mistral Exhaust can
- MG Multi Media Platform
- GL 1800 Gold Wing footpegs
- SW Motech bar risers
- Stelvio Hand Guards
- Dart windscreen
- Bill Hagan inspired Chinesieum LED lights
- Additional rear LED brake/tail light

I had to do a 3.75" Extension of the right side rack to accommodate the high pipe. The Mistral made this more doable, being about 1.75" closer to the frame than the stock Arrow pipe. I may still make some changes moving forward, but basically I used a hardened 4" bolt, and secured it to/through the lower anchor point, then covered the threads with shrink wrap, and another bolt that left a 1/2" stub to slide the lower bracket on with a lock washer and capnut.  For the upper (underseat) mount I used a 3/8" thick L bracket, cut and bent/drilled it to move the mount point out to match the distance of the lower mount. This left about a 3/4" gap between rack and exhaust can, and with the bag in place about 1/4" so far, the plastic isn't even worm after a ride. The last point of connection was the rear. I cut down and drilled 2 flat L brackets to span the gap, and reversed one to keep the rack from pivoting.  After goofing around for a bit, and getting the fit right, I painted them with gloss engine block ceramic paint, and then baked to cure so they should hold up.  There was a little too much side to side sway at the back side of the bags given the design, so I used a piece of thin aluminum slat, spanned the lower rear bolts and tied it to the rear taillight support.

I decided to stay with 30 liter bags even though the offset would have been perfect. The 40 liter bag just looked way to big for the bike.

This was a fun project, and will be interesting to see if it holds up. Next up is my idea to mount the fender on the top of the fork brace. I sourced a spare brace off ebay for $15, and used a stepped bit to drill out the top of the brace so it could be bolted from above. I'll use rubber bushings as spacers, and bolt through the top.

Here is the finished product on the cases and bike so far, I have a ton of in progress shots as well if anyone wants.

I need to do a review of the Multimedia platform. BLUF - It is useful, but can be wonky, doesn't stay connected when you toggle back and forth between maps/gps and the MGMP.  My only other complaint is I wish it had an oil temp readout.  Otherwise, it is pretty cool.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 06:25:10 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline geodoc

• Gosling
Re: Stornello TT
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 02:00:47 PM »
Did you mean to attach photos?

Don't see 'em.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 02:30:05 PM »
I see them just fine - ten of them.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 08:30:52 PM »
Always liked the Stornello...well done!! :thumb: :cool: :smiley:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 08:30:52 PM »

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 10:21:31 PM »
Got together with Bill Hagan and John Wells to take the Stornello on a real shake down ride yesterday and today, a bit over 570 miles, all kinds of roads from state highway, to back roads, to grave/fire roads. Bags had about 20lbs each in them. The bike performed flawlessly, no issues, flawless handling, brakes were spot on, and the engine is really starting to open up (only 2600 miles so far).

The Hagons/Ktechs were sublime. I started the trip off at the lowest spring setting, but once at Altoona at John Well's house, I decided to go to the middle preload setting. Took the squish I was getting in the larger bumps and dips while at speed.  The extra weight of the bags really brought some stability to the bike and it felt more settled at highway speeds. The bike settles in nice and smooth at 65-70 in 5th gear with great power on tap. Cruised some at 75-80, but the bike was less happy, wandered a bit and didn't feel as planted.  The motor is starting to smooth out a bit in lower revs, but is silky smooth and responsive with wonderful noises from about 3900 RPM to 6200. Didn't flog it all that much, and averaged 45 -50MPG.  I dont bother putting it in 6th gear unless I am going 70, it really likes 4th & 5th in the 50-70 mph range.

The bags and mounts stayed put, no shifting or moving, and I was pleasant surprise to find that the inner carry bags from my FJR fit nicely in the 30 l Xplorer bags. Next trip will be mostly on trail/gravel roads.

The Route. Mostly good, but 15 Noth of Harrisburg was a bad choice. Got caught by the rain from Gettysburg home, the hand guards did a fine job. My 12 year old riding boots not so much......

A gaggle of Guzzi's today

Bill Hagans Stornello and mine during my Cross Junction stop

Bils V7iii "Blue" Special

Nice little country store in the VA country side

Gumby is my wingman, I take videos of him and send to my grandson.

By the river in Great Falls, VA

« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 10:28:33 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here