Author Topic: Looking for a pressure washer  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
Looking for a pressure washer
« on: July 03, 2019, 04:44:14 PM »
So I want to clean my V7, and my apartment complex doesn't have any hose faucets we can use. I'm casually looking up pressure washers and naturally everything I'm finding requires you to plug in your hose to make it happen. Is there a washer out there with a dedicated water tank I could fill? I kinda don't even know what to type in to find what I'm looking for, hence my coming here. Power isn't too much a concern of course, I would really prefer if I could blast off 90% of the dirt before I get in there with rags and sponges to take care of the rest.

Or if there's a proper way to entirely clean a bike sans pressured water, I'd like to hear all about it. Whatever gets the job done so I can wash all these rain spots off  :cheesy:
2019 V7 III Stone " Murci "
1975 850T " Guzziaughtsix "

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Looking for a pressure washer
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 05:13:25 PM »
Most of the cheap harbor freight type pressure washers can use water from a pond, bucket or tank. Most do not need the water under pressure from a hose. They have a pump that can draw up water. BUT.......RTFM to be sure, both I have owned can pull from a pond, but a filter needs to be added to keep debris out. ALSO don't let the pump run dry or it will fry the impeller.

EDIT: The one I have now claims 1.6 US Gal per minute. So a 5 gal bucket would last a few minutes which is a lot of spaying time. Think about how long a minute is when you wait for one to go by.

What brand? Most are decent for occasional use. I had a very compact one, about a foot and a half long, 8 inches high and about the same wide. Don't know i you can find a small one anymore? Most are stand up like a medium vacuum cleaner. 1600 PSI is a decent one for the bike.

Hope this helps,
Tom
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 05:36:27 PM by Tom H »
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 05:17:55 PM »
I never hit my bikes with water.  I use Honda cleaner wax on EVERY surface.  Does a great job, and water never gets where it shouldn’t.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 05:44:24 PM »
 Egads , what in the world are you thinking , high pressure water gets in everywhere you don't want it to .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 05:44:24 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 06:17:53 PM »
Just say no..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 06:32:19 PM »
Just go to your local car wash, soap, brush, rinse and spray wax, 2 bucks, no brained.

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 06:36:44 PM »
I got one of these by Worx:

https://www.newegg.com/p/065-003X-00001?nm_mc=knc-msnsearch&cm_mmc=knc-msnsearch-PC-_-pla-_-og+-+nozzles+++wands-_-worx-_-065003x00001&msclkid=7495dbec3ccc18f3fdb186f107c08e14&gclid=CPmV-bb0meMCFc2bxQIdb78ElA&gclsrc=ds

Kind of expensive, but kind of cool. You can hook it up to a 2L soda bottle or a tap with a hose fitting. It has two pressures. The bottle doesn't last long, but it's convenient.

An alternative is to buy a 1-2 gallon pump bug sprayer and just fill it with water. This is a low pressure solution, but it is cheap and works pretty well.

Rich A

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 06:37:43 PM »
Just go to your local car wash, soap, brush, rinse and spray wax, 2 bucks, no brained.

Our local car washes are either the "pull through" ones with the rotating brushes, or have those liquid sandblaster nozzles that will force water into every place it doesn't belong on a bike, including wiring, breather outlets, joints and seams, etc.

I go with the light wipe of WD40 on the metal surfaces, and Honda spray cleaner/polish on the paint and plastic ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 07:39:22 PM »

https://www.newegg.com/p/065-003X-00001?nm_mc=knc-msnsearch&cm_mmc=knc-msnsearch-PC-_-pla-_-og+-+nozzles+++wands-_-worx-_-065003x00001&msclkid=7495dbec3ccc18f3fdb186f107c08e14&gclid=CPmV-bb0meMCFc2bxQIdb78ElA&gclsrc=ds

Kind of expensive, but kind of cool. You can hook it up to a 2L soda bottle or a tap with a hose fitting. It has two pressures. The bottle doesn't last long, but it's convenient.

An alternative is to buy a 1-2 gallon pump bug sprayer and just fill it with water. This is a low pressure solution, but it is cheap and works pretty well.

Rich A
It’s also possible to run this out of a bucket of water. 
Pressure is not up to pressure washer levels but might be about right for cleaning up a motorbike without insulting wheel bearings, etc.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline rschrum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 07:47:08 PM »
Spray detailer and microfiber cloth. Heavy dirt, bucket and a brush.
15 GRISO
00 ZX12r
07 Tuono Factory
01 ZRX 1200R
19 Monster 1200R
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 1090R
08 Ducati s4rs Tricolore
22 Indian FTR Championship
Central Iowa

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 07:55:31 PM »
Maybe I am just lucky but my T-3 has been powered washed regularly for over 30 years with no problems I can find. Even still uses the origional switch gear, except for the ignition switch.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 10:43:35 PM »
I must know how to do it. As I pressure washed every motorcycle I have had for at least 30 years and never had any issues.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2019, 07:30:09 AM »
Pressure washing is fine as long as common sense is included. Just stay back with the spray and there will be no water invasion to sensitive parts like switches, bearings etc. nature it’s self, ridding 70 mph in the rain, can cause higher water pressure on the bike. Like most  controversial issues common sense goes a long way.

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 09:17:07 AM »
Pressure washing is fine as long as common sense is included. Just stay back with the spray and there will be no water invasion to sensitive parts like switches, bearings etc. nature it’s self, ridding 70 mph in the rain, can cause higher water pressure on the bike. Like most  controversial issues common sense goes a long way.

Which is how I'd approach it, I'd really just be happy with what normal garden hose puts out, I wouldn't be getting point blank with anything. My only beef with riding it somewhere is that I'd get everything hot, namely the header pipes and cylinders which are among the most bugified, and I can't imagine spraying cold water on all of that would be good for the finish. Not to mention having to ride it back wet.

Rich A

I do like this, this is about what I was thinking
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 09:31:06 AM by Thirtyaughtsix »

oldbike54

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 09:34:08 AM »

Dan , doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a pressure washer ?

Dusty

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 09:51:37 AM »
Dan , doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a pressure washer ?

Dusty
Dusty, I look at a pressure washer as any other tool, it has is use effectiveness and capabilities. One should not use a screwdriver for a scrape blade or chisel. Therefore it would be appreciated to clean the wheels, spokes and tires with a pressure washer but not the center of the hub which houses the bearings, right? It may be effective to use the washer to clean heavy road scum off the painted services at the appropriate distance but not the handle bars where the select buttons are housed. Personally I do own a pressure washer nor do I visit a car wash. 90% of my bike cleaning is accomplished by spraying a specialized cleaner/wax and wiping off with a soft cotton cloth.
I guess I’m just of the opinion that common sense rules in most all situations:)
Happy Fourth my friend:)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 01:15:27 PM by Ncdan »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 09:53:39 AM »
Dusty, I look at a pressure washer as any other tool, it has is use effectiveness and capabilities. One should not use a screwdriver for a scrape blade or chisel. Therefore it would be appropriate  to clean the wheels, spokes and tires with a pressure washer but not the center of the hub which houses the bearings, right? It may be effective to use the washer to clean heavy road scum off the painted services at the appropriate distance but not the handle bars where the select buttons are housed. Personally I do own a pressure washer nor do I visit a car wash. 90% of my bike cleaning is accomplished by spraying a specialized cleaner/wax and wiping off with a soft cotton cloth.
I guess I’m just of the opinion that common sense rules in most all situations:)

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2019, 10:57:24 AM »
If your trying to get caked on mud or grease gunk build ups off the bike, I'm not really sure that the Worx at 320psi is strong enough. The one I use is 1700 and my old one was 1500. Both have an adjustable tip on the wand that goes from a soft fan to a hard jet.

Yes you need to use some care as mentioned, avoid the handlebars and electrics when using the jet setting, fan is ok for rinsing everything off. Generally you can hit the plug wires at the heads but avoid the coil or distributor.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2019, 11:01:53 AM »
Which is how I'd approach it, I'd really just be happy with what normal garden hose puts out, I wouldn't be getting point blank with anything. My only beef with riding it somewhere is that I'd get everything hot, namely the header pipes and cylinders which are among the most bugified, and I can't imagine spraying cold water on all of that would be good for the finish. Not to mention having to ride it back wet.

I do like this, this is about what I was thinking

You are over thinking it. Motorcycles are designed to be ridden through driving rain, they can handle car wash temp rain without issue.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

oldbike54

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2019, 12:14:04 PM »
Dusty, I look at a pressure washer as any other tool, it has is use effectiveness and capabilities. One should use a screwdriver for a scrape blade or chisel. Therefore it would be appreciated to clean the wheels, spokes and tires with a pressure washer but not the center of the hub which houses the bearings, right? It may be effective to use the washer to clean heavy road scum off the painted services at the appropriate distance but not the handle bars where the select buttons are housed. Personally I do own a pressure washer nor do I visit a car wash. 90% of my bike cleaning is accomplished by spraying a specialized cleaner/wax and wiping off with a soft cotton cloth.

Wasn't trying to be snarky Dan , was simply observing that if you need to stand back from what you are washing with a pressure washer , then the pressure will be greatly reduced , which kind of defeats the purpose of using a pressure washer .

Dusty

Offline keuka4884

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2019, 12:47:03 PM »
How about  a steam cleaner?
1978 850 T3
2017 Lincoln Continental Black Label
1996 Cadillac Eldorado Coach Builders convertible

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2019, 01:14:29 PM »
Wasn't trying to be snarky Dan , was simply observing that if you need to stand back from what you are washing with a pressure washer , then the pressure will be greatly reduced , which kind of defeats the purpose of using a pressure washer .

Dusty
No problem Dusty and I didn’t take it that way at all my friend. I was just saying that even a pressure washer can be used efficiently to clean about anything, excluding a vehicle, in the right hands. If my response appeared snarky I apolitical sir as it was not my intention:)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2019, 06:49:11 PM »
Maybe we are overthinking the pressure washer for what you want. If you have an air compressor, you can use one of these,
https://www.amazon.com/Air-Engine-Cleaning-Gun-Hose/dp/B018WRHPDC
It's used in the aviation industry with Stoddard solvent, but I've used one like it (antique of course) :grin: with Purple power your soap or solvent of choice and blast it with water in a bucket. A gallon of water, heck even a coffee can, will last a really long time.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2019, 06:54:09 PM »
Here is one the I use  https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Joe-SPX6001C-XR-Cordless-Pressure/dp/B07FFWB5CS/ref=sr_1_34?qid=1562284372&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-34  it can be used either with the tank or hooked directly to a faucet.

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2019, 07:09:50 PM »
My screwed up shoulders don't allow me to start my gas powered pressure washer anymore. My wife got me the electric one from HF this Spring. It works very well and I'm quite pleased with it. Used it to clean up our large wooden front porch. Great for house siding too.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2019, 09:45:23 PM »
Here is one the I use  https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Joe-SPX6001C-XR-Cordless-Pressure/dp/B07FFWB5CS/ref=sr_1_34?qid=1562284372&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-34  it can be used either with the tank or hooked directly to a faucet.

This looks about perfect but man that price tag, not sure I could justify it right now. Would be nice if I could stumble upon a $220 bill on the ground

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2019, 07:57:16 AM »
 Go to the zoo and borrow the elephant.   Park the bike at the pond and lettuce elephant blast water on it.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here